• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

Xbox will be affected by this aswell, it is effecting ram prices aswell as SSD.
Sure , but it could be less, there is no leak about this. Also their paging system is different ... I think their design is less dependent.

Leveraging their know how of virtualization in data center/server setup.

Continuing this process like they started with the Xbox One OS.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yup :messenger_beaming: , adjustable and pretty relaxed chair and you can raise your legs as well, similar to this one I guess:

DHF18TMXYAATtA2

You can spend long sessions with no issues ;) around 2 meters away from TV.
First class gaming. That's how I game too. Recliners ftw :messenger_sunglasses:

SgtCaffran

Sure , but it could be less, there is no leak about this. Also their paging system is different ... I think their design is less dependent.

If both are using 16/18 GB of GDDR6 then they both have the exact same problems with RAM prices... It's that simple.

Also regarding the SSD, the actual memory chips will most likely be very similar or even the same brand so same story.

The SSD customisation from Sony will be in the controller and software stack.

Tim is fine. I don't understand what people have against him. Who cares he roots for Xbox. There's PS guys that are in same boat and worse. Tim's friends with some people from
Here a 1399 USD phone. This is the subscription price
CkIwAxy.png

They could easily do this with a PS5 for 30 Euros a month for 24 month
Damn, I just payed the lease off tonight on my S9+. This is how these phone devices get ya hooked like an addict, they release a new one to buy

Last edited:

M-V2

I use a 55" 4K tv for my PC, PS4 Pro. So I can easily notice that it's much sharper than current gen and has much better draw distance. But the quality of the elements is mediocre and that's understandable as it looks more like a current gen game on a high-end PC on ultra settings, with no RT, nothing more.
Dude I don't know what are you talking about exactly?? They never ditched Joel lmao the first reveal trailer that they showed back in E3 2016, Joel was there, in the same day they made an interview with Neil druckmann at a panel for almost an hour & they asked him about Joel he said he is there "SOMEWHERE" he didn't wanna give more information because spoilers. Neil also said he started to write this story based on the relationship between ellie & Joel, he specifically said the first game was about love & the second one about hate, they asked him about if Ellie knew about Joel's lie & he (Neil) said she knew. So from the beginning Neil built this story about Joel & Ellie.

I don't know from where you're bringing these "rewrite the script" & "ditched Joel" lol

Last edited:

sinnergy

If both are using 16/18 GB of GDDR6 then they both have the exact same problems with RAM prices... It's that simple.

Also regarding the SSD, the actual memory chips will most likely be very similar or even the same brand so same story.

The SSD customisation from Sony will be in the controller and software stack.

Not entirely true as you can strip all ram and NAND from your SSD as you like ... leaving only the SSD MEMORY.

Last edited:

Brudda26

Ram is ram, if there is supply issues it effects everyone and has the same cost rises for everyone. In fact it could be even worse for microsoft as the rumours suggest it could be using faster ram. Faster ram is already less available than slower ram. So shortages across the board could have a even worse effect for MS if the rumours are true.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
”The rumours suggest that MS is using Corona beer for their launch party, and as you know, the corona virus is spreading fast. Sources say the Xbox launch will be put back by at least 27 years by this, however because Sony are so amazing, the PS5 was already released last spring and has sold 78 million units.

We are waiting on a comment from Jeremy Beadle who has apparently had a small hand in Playstation’s success.”

JonTheGod

Neo Member
Y'know what? I'm excited about PS5. Do we have any substantial info? No. But I don't mind. I trust in PlayStation to deliver exceptional gaming experiences; so whether the 9v12 turns out to be true (I doubt it) or that they're both around the 10-11 mark (I think more likely), I know that PS5 is going to satisfy me.

I know that it'll play PS4 games, and I'm ALWAYS behind in playing the new games. I've recently been playing Titanfall 2, The ABC Murders, and Goose Game. Now splitting my time between a platinum run on TLOU Remastered and Katamari Forever (PS3). My backlog (which I call my 'List of Shameful Neglect') currently includes God of War, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AstroBot, Resi 7, and *literally* hundreds of other games. So, even without launch titles announced, I'm looking forward to playing TLOU Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and many other PS4 games - hopefully on PS4 Pro settings (or higher if the PS5 enhances them natively or via patches). That alone is enough to excite me.

Add on top of that the new haptics in the DualShock 5, the actual PS5 launch exclusives, and the new 4K TV* that I'll be getting - I'm looking at a VERY exciting next gen for me.

*I'm getting the Samsung The Frame in the 65" model. I'm just waiting for the 2020 model to be released; I'm hoping it has 2.1 HDMI.

The only thing I'm really waiting on is the extent of backwards compatibility. I hope PS1&2 would be a no-brainer; from what I understand, emulation of those titles should be fairly simple. I really hope that PS3 gets native support; I've heard speculation of an Xbox-esque individual title approval system which I really hope is not the case.

So I sit here, reading the drama and speculation that goes on in these pages with interest and amusement. Then I'll skip a few pages to catch up. Not much else to go on whilst we wait for official reveals, is there!

FranXico

Slight diversion but given the chat on BOM, how much do you guys estimate a PS3 single chip module (like the PS3 had for PS2 BC) would add to PS5 manufacturing cost?
Such a chip would literally be manufactured exclusively for the PS5, considering the Cell architecture is dead. Would be a difficult to justify expense.

Neo Blaster

I think they intended a $400 price tag but the ram price jumped considerably, making them possibly have to price it at the same price as the (theoretically) more powerful Xbox Series X.
That's intriguing, do RAM price hikes affect only Sony? Paraphrasing Geralt: "Hmm"

Last edited:
”The rumours suggest that MS is using Corona beer for their launch party, and as you know, the corona virus is spreading fast. Sources say the Xbox launch will be put back by at least 27 years by this, however because Sony are so amazing, the PS5 was already released last spring and has sold 78 million units.

We are waiting on a comment from Jeremy Beadle who has apparently had a small hand in Playstation’s success.”
MF0Brs6.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But that's probably the result of a VAT tax or some kind of import tax, right? I can't imagine there would be that much cost just in shipping to a region, so it HAS to be something like that, right?

Not sure really, but taxes for goods here don't exceed 5% when brought from outside the country in bulk. So I think they have different pricing methods depending on the market. People here consider $470 being very cheap in comparison of previous years. As said before, some shops used to buy US copies and sell them for around $1160 (450 Omani Rials) a month or weeks before its regional release here for 181 Omani Rials ($470 USD) in 1-Dec-2013.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They do sell TVs here actually.

The smallest 4K HDR TV I could find from them here is the 50P65US. It's available in many stores like Submarino and Ponto Frio.

The problem is most TVs now don't support HDMI 2.1. If you care about VRR for next gen you shouldn't buy a TV now from any brand.

The cheapest and smallest you can get with HDMI 2.1 would be TCL 6-Series and probably Sony's X900H. LG OLED's if you're planning for 48". VIZIO in the US market is another amazing brand to check out as well.

Not sure really, but taxes for goods here don't exceed 5% when brought from outside the country in bulk. So I think they have different pricing methods depending on the market. People here consider $470 being very cheap in comparison of previous years. As said before, some shops used to buy US copies and sell them for around $1160 (450 Omani Rials) a month or weeks before its regional release here for 181 Omani Rials ($470 USD) in 1-Dec-2013.

Charge what the market will bear.

Fake

They do sell TVs here actually.

The smallest 4K HDR TV I could find from them here is the 50P65US. It's available in many stores like Submarino and Ponto Frio.

The problem is most TVs now don't support HDMI 2.1. If you care about VRR for next gen you shouldn't buy a TV now from any brand.
Started this year with little support. If you already work with Samsung support should know by now. You can promove TV brand without knowing how their support work in that particular country. Too risk.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Ram is ram, if there is supply issues it effects everyone and has the same cost rises for everyone. In fact it could be even worse for microsoft as the rumours suggest it could be using faster ram. Faster ram is already less available than slower ram. So shortages across the board could have a even worse effect for MS if the rumours are true.

I haven't seen that rumor. The indications I've seen point towards a wider bus. (If you are talking about the github stuff).

I think both are just finding excuses to muddy the waters around pricing, tbh. Both have had their initial purchase orders locked in many months ago, current fluctuations don't mean much to them in the short-term.

Fake

I haven't seen that rumor. The indications I've seen point towards a wider bus. (If you are talking about the github stuff).

I think both are just finding excuses to muddy the waters around pricing, tbh. Both have had their initial purchase orders locked in many months ago, current fluctuations don't mean much to them in the short-term.

Only because they're no rumors that don't mean both can get the same issue. Besides, Microsoft releasing their devkit a little late from party if I remember right.

If true both can probably suffer from this, but I guess we're starting to know the real porpuse of Lockhart.

DaGwaphics

They might only have an effect on those using HBM2. If Sony went with HBM2 and a ReRAM suppported SSD, that would explain the cost issues and the ultra fast SSD.

Probably wouldn't effect the consoles then. :messenger_ok: :messenger_beaming:

Microsoft releasing their devkit a little late from party if I remember right.

They've always planned to launch Holiday 2020, when the dev kits hit doesn't matter much today (games being built on PC first with dev kits being used primarily to adjust settings and smooth things out at the end). It's estimated that in comparison to Sony, MS still only has about 5% the number of dev kits out. They know that they can send these out in June/July and still be fine for launch. Looking at the history of these consoles, manufacturers handle procurement at least a year in advance of launch.

Fake

They've always planned to launch Holiday 2020, when the dev kits hit doesn't matter much today (games being built on PC first with dev kits being used primarily to adjust settings and smooth things out at the end). It's estimated that in comparison to Sony, MS still only has about 5% the number of dev kits out. They know that they can send these out in June/July and still be fine for launch. Looking at the history of these consoles, manufacturers handle procurement at least a year in advance of launch.

So, how this translate to 'I haven't seen that rumor'? They're no rumors about seX cost because Microsoft don't release much devkits around. Again both can suffer from the same cost problem. Will be one of the first generation both consoles have pretty much identical specs, so both can suffer from similar problems besides colling system.

Smoke6

Probably wouldn't effect the consoles then. :messenger_ok: :messenger_beaming:

dude there will be no first party exclusive titles for at least a year and a half out from launch!

what are you talking about?

there will be nothing ready to exclusively play from MS at launch I repeat!

I guess I’m reading into this wrong or something but that’s why dev kits are late and they made a statement to clarify that in so many words like they always do!

DaGwaphics

So, how this translate to 'I haven't seen that rumor'? They're no rumors about seX cost because Microsoft don't release much devkits around. Again both can suffer from the same cost problem. Will be one of the first generation both consoles have pretty much identical specs, so both can suffer from similar problems besides colling system.

^ I agree, both are buying the same tech for the most part.

I just don't believe that either is currently struggling with the sudden surprise of rising costs. They've had a good idea on what the cost would be since Holiday 2019 at the latest.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Smoke6 Smoke6 , you do realize that third-parties use dev kits too right? LOL

I think the timing of the dev kits is much more about trying to keep a lid on things (something that MS has struggled with during the 360/One launch), both to control the narrative and to maximize competitive advantage.

Last edited:

FranXico

dude there will be no first party exclusive titles for at least a year and a half out from launch!
The statement always was about first party exclusives for next gen only, not any kind of exclusives. There will be plenty of cross-gen first party exclusives at the start.
People try to make it a bigger deal than what it really is.

Smoke6

Smoke6 Smoke6 , you do realize that third-parties use dev kits too right? LOL

I think the timing of the dev kits is much more about trying to keep a lid on things (something that MS has struggled with during the 360/One launch), both to control the narrative and to maximize competitive advantage.

If that’s the case of trying to keep a lid on things by delaying dev kits, then they were never ready to launch this year and honestly I don’t think any of them will launch this year!

An interesting read this morning for that Bloomberg article.

I'm not too worried. Even though some of us have good extrapolation, none of us really know what Sony is paying per part. That is still looking towards being a very powerful system on both fronts(MS and Sony).

I'm certain that PS5 will be within 1 TF or less, greater or lower, than the XSX by the time final kits arrive. Same with MS if PS5 comes in slightly above them.

Both of them will be above Google Stadia's 10.7, especially MS, who views them as a threat moreso than Sony it seems.

But my biggest takeaway is this--Sony's relative silence is beginning to sour amongst the community. Every small bit of information that is released(logo, possible BOM, wait and see price) is spun into a doom and gloom scenario because it doesn't really tell us anything tangible of what's going on.

People use that to say things aren't smooth with the PS5, Microsoft has them on the back foot, Coronavirus is affecting things--I don't believe much of that is true(Corona could become a factor).

But perception is reality. If people perceive the small recent news, or NO news, as cause for concern, that's the reality of it. Time for Sony to start talking, I believe.

Last edited:

Smoke6

The statement always was about first party exclusives for next gen only, not any kind of exclusives. There will be plenty of cross-gen first party exclusives at the start.
People try to make it a bigger deal than what it really is.

Seriously man I’m not jumping to a next gen machine with current gen games I would have wanted to play made for that nex gen machine! That doesn’t make sense at all to me and yes some people are just hardcore like that to do that type of thing!

You bring out a couple heavy guns to a fight like this, not a “hey my gun is shinier and holds a few extra details” all the while your opponent comes out with the hulk buster!

I dunno man I love the competition but it just seems like MS is not ready at all and if the rumors are true about Sony delaying their launch from 2019 to 2020 then things will get interesting here if not delayed again

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Saying that Sony goes live and shows PS5 and next gen exclusives, what they are gonna lose if they do it too early? They've got TLOU2, and Ghost of Tsushima that won't look that great visually in comparison.

On the other, what MS got to lose anyway? Did we miss a big AAA exclusive coming to Xbox One this year? Halo is (Cross-gen), so let's skip that.

Sony is still selling good, less but good with probably bigger margains at this point, so why rush things up?

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

^ I agree, both are buying the same tech for the most part.

I just don't believe that either is currently struggling with the sudden surprise of rising costs. They've had a good idea on what the cost would be since Holiday 2019 at the latest.

Phil was confident about price/cost all the way back at E3:

Tariffs issues have gone away as I thought they would so that is a bonus for costs.

DaGwaphics

Saying that Sony goes live and shows PS5 and next gen exclusives, what they are gonna lose if they do it too early? They've got TLOU2, and Ghost of Tsushima that won't look that great visually in comparison.

On the other, what MS got to lose anyway? Did we miss a big AAA exclusive coming to Xbox One this year? Halo is (Cross-gen), so let's skip that.

Sony are still selling good, less but good with probably bigger margains at this point, so why rush things up?

Agreed. Sony can reveal the PS5 whenever they feel like it (realistically, this summer before pre-orders open). What's funny is that MS barely revealed anything about the XSX (a couple pictures and a few vague statements), yet forum posters seem perfectly fine with waiting until e3 for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom