• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moneal

The talk is that Sony was originally going to launch in 2019 with a 8.x tflops machine. They decided against it and have tried to ramp up the power by increasing clock speeds.
I dont know if its true or not, but that's what has been said.
Why wait a year just to upclock, that makes zero sense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not bad. The grey matte finish seems off though.

The artists forgot to put something in there to give everyone a sense of scale.

On the top left side of the console, see that tiny little square?

What he forgot to tell is that the PS5 controller is the size of that square. And the console still sounds like a 747.

I hope it doesn’t fly into a Series X skyscraper. Both play nice, now.

jonnyp

Still haven't seen one I like better than this from 2018...though it might need to get fatter lol
tumblr_p9ejb2Nxzv1xscx7go1_1280.jpg

Waffle irons look good to you?

With todays Social Media nothing surprises me.

Not saying they will but even if Sony did a PS5 reveal it would be trending world wide in no time.
Yeah it seems the way a console is announced has changed. Ever since MS gave that spec reveal to DF for the X.
Why wait a year just to upclock, that makes zero sense.
Because up clocking is less expensive than re-engineering the whole GPU.

demigod

If they don't announce the tflops be ready that its worse then xbox series x.

They're not announcing tflops at CES, most likely at their own reveal in February.

BTW anything AdoredTV says should be thrown out the window. Remember AMD reveal where they said its GCN?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
9. something TFLOPS it is then. Fuck I psyched myself out. But wait, Cerny then turns into a werefolf revealing BEAST MODE PS5. Bwhaahahahaha.
The guy already looks like one. Never seen someone in the gaming industry look so disheveled. Every time you see him, it's like he just woke up from a sleeping bag on a street corner after a night of begging.

If he does make a CES appearance, he'll say something about 18.4 TF at FP16 calculations.

Fake

A better battery was actually one of the main bullet points Cerny mentioned in a follow up Wired article. They admitted to that shortcoming and wanted to make sure to address it.

How much better remains to be seen.
Either by putting a greater battery or at least a little improve, but the ability of turn off the lightbar should help. But I really hoping for a bigger battery because the DS4 sucks in that departament.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
It might have a little more volume, I'm just not sure how it matters.

What are we competing on next? Loudest console? Power hungriest?

We should make a bingo sheet.:messenger_winking:

Devkits are typically bigger and have no bearing on the size of the final product.

Reindeer

If we assume that Sony has revised the APU since the June/July testing then why can't we assume the same for Microsoft? What if they are coming up with a 14.7 tflop BEAST of their own?

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Still has the shitty thumb stick position... Groan

Do you have one normal hand and one mutated? Or using some retarded claw-gripmode? If not, then symmetrical sticks are superior vs "xbox style"

PS style is perfect, thumbs rest naturally on the sticks and buttons are easy to reach.

Xbox style means you have to change the grip for one hand or keep one thumb in different angle.

I get that some people dislike xbox style because it is unsymmetrical(i dont like it), but there is literally nothing wrong with symmetrical placement.

Few times I have seen someone complaining about it because they grip the controller really weirdly.

xool

In the way the monitor is top the devkit... is this mean less heat or just stupid position to put the monitor?
No vents on the top, should be fine (if you're not OCD), more desktop space too

Is it me or is the DS5 completely black with no button labels ?

aQZPplh.jpg

Last edited:

Fake

No vents on the top, should be fine (if you're not OCD), more desktop space too

Is it me or is the DS5 completely black with no button labels ?
I guess is because a prototype. Remember the last wired article mention there is a hole on the center of DS5 prototype, and you can see, replaced by a touchpad I guess?

Last edited:

Tiago07

I mean are you really going to take a picture of you wiping it off to prove you are a "cleaner?"

Maybe I am wrong but this was 100% controlled.
Yep, and risking your job. Obvisiously the man knows the possibles consequences and he simples don't give a care for this, using your personal perfil and letting " Pls do not share this", no one is so stupid to do this

Last edited:

RasAlGhoul

Yep, and risking your job. Obvisiously the man knows the possibles consequences and he simples don't give a care for this, using your personal perfil and letting " Pls do not share this", no one is so stupid to do this

I’m with you guys on it being intentional. I just don’t get why. It’s nothing we haven’t seen already. I’m missing the strategic purpose.

They're not announcing tflops at CES, most likely at their own reveal in February.

BTW anything AdoredTV says should be thrown out the window. Remember AMD reveal where they said its GCN?

Wat? Adored has solid connections and really good analysis. Throwing something away from them because you don't agree simply off feelings is crazy. At the very least, you can consider it being a well-informed and logically deduced opinion, probably has a good chance of being somewhere on the money.

Well the artist was trying to call out retro compatibility by putting a PS1 esque circle in there :)

Lol, should've assumed that. It's just that the circle and the rectangular shape around it instantly reminded me of Wondermega instead :p

Last edited:

xool

Bet we get nothing from Sony at CES ..

Anyone think there will be anything next gen at AMD's presentation - special guests, stuff like that ??

demigod

Wat? Adored has solid connections and really good analysis. Throwing something away from them because you don't agree simply off feelings is crazy. At the very least, you can consider it being a well-informed and logically deduced opinion, probably has a good chance of being somewhere on the money.

Yeah so good connections where they fucked up the Navi reveal right? I guess you wouldn't know since you just joined in 2019.

Yeah so good connections where they fucked up the Navi reveal right? I guess you wouldn't know since you just joined in 2019.

Lol son I've been reading these forums way before that and watching these kind of analysis vids well before that as well. I'm no new fish to this; when I see an opinion based on sound logic I acknowledge it that's all. So I'm acknowledging Adored's because it was pretty logical and very fair to boot.

I will be ready as night shifts to day.

Still got nothin' to work with on this one, chief xD. Could be referring to Sony or MS, console or PC. But at least we won't have too long to wait thankfully.

Last edited:
In the way the monitor is top the devkit... is this mean less heat or just stupid position to put the monitor?

Shape of the PS5 devkit was so that they could easily be stacked with many units on top of each other without compromising cooling, for multiplayer testing. On the other hand, we'll see the cooling solution in retail units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom