• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have inside info that Sony actually created the Coronavirus in order to delay the PS5 reveal and release. They are simply not ready and too much is at stake!
6701347_f520.jpg

splattered

Key here is "It will be something new in the industry.".

BC with last gen isn't new. So I'm going with BC with every past console, with some limitations. That's definitely new.

Technically it would be new to the industry if both Microsoft and Sony had FULL backwards compatibility with Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Yes Microsoft put out a ton of 360 titles into its BC program but Sony didn't really follow suit... so like I said if XBsX plays all XBO games and PS5 plays all PS4 games - yes that would be something new to the industry.

FranXico

Technically it would be new to the industry if both Microsoft and Sony had FULL backwards compatibility with Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Yes Microsoft put out a ton of 360 titles into its BC program but Sony didn't really follow suit... so like I said if XBsX plays all XBO games and PS5 plays all PS4 games - yes that would be something new to the industry.
LOL think back a little. The industry didn't start in 2013.

Reactions: TLZ

splattered

LOL think back a little. The industry didn't start in 2013.

He said it was the first time BOTH companies would see FULL previous generation BC.

Both Sony and MS have stated full BC with previous gen (ps4/XBO) is very important.

He is only reiterating what both companies have officially announced.

If you want some PS1-2 titles to play Sony has a monthly subscription to sell you, PS3 at this point is TBD.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Why Would the PS4 Pro have the terrible Screen Space Reflections and not the Xbox versions? It’s night a and day difference.

well, it’s a few reasons, and I’ve actually lied a little but. The problem isnt their SSR shader, more so it’s their SSR shader I combination with their anti aliasing solution.

Yhe Xbox one X version has a much better TAA+FXAA implementation (the PS4 pro only has the one). However the downside is that the game on Xbox one x looks noticeable more blurry than the pro version because of this.

A better shader that doesn’t rely on this, or a better implementation of AA would help.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
well, it’s a few reasons, and I’ve actually lied a little but. The problem isnt their SSR shader, more so it’s their SSR shader I combination with their anti aliasing solution.

Yhe Xbox one X version has a much better TAA+FXAA implementation (the PS4 pro only has the one). However the downside is that the game on Xbox one x looks noticeable more blurry than the pro version because of this.

A better shader that doesn’t rely on this, or a better implementation of AA would help.

Give me MSAA or give me death!

He said it was the first time BOTH companies would see FULL previous generation BC.

Both Sony and MS have stated full BC with previous gen (ps4/XBO) is very important.

He is only reiterating what both companies have officially announced.

If you want some PS1-2 titles to play Sony has a monthly subscription to sell you, PS3 at this point is TBD.

I would be incredibly surprised if the PS5 has any type of BC with the PS3, just due to the extreme complexity of the system it would be very hard to emulate or replicate at this point. Just the amount of resources they would need to work on that is as project within itself and I would much rather have those teams working on other aspects to make sure the system runs buttery smooth instead of worrying about play old PS3 games, while there are some games I miss from that generation I just don't feel the time/effort it would take to even try to make that happen is worth it in the end. The one easy way to solve the PS1, PS2 & PS3 BC problem is by using PS Now, just let me put my PS3 disc of Motorstorm in my PS5, fire up PS Now which checks the drive for what disc is in it and let me stream the game over PS Now for free...problem solved!

Last edited:

splattered

I would be incredibly surprised if the PS5 has any type of BC with the PS3, just due to the extreme complexity of the system it would be very hard to emulate or replicate at this point. Just the amount of resources they would need to work on that is as project within itself and I would much rather have those teams working on other aspects to make sure the system runs buttery smooth instead of worrying about play old PS3 games, while there are some games I miss from that generation I just don't feel the time/effort it would take to even try to make that happen is worth it in the end.

I completely agree! Though at some point i'd love to see some sort of emulation figured out to provide full BC with PS3. Maybe not at the start of the gen but at least the halfway point like MS did with 360 and OG.

I completely agree! Though at some point i'd love to see some sort of emulation figured out to provide full BC with PS3. Maybe not at the start of the gen but at least the halfway point like MS did with 360 and OG.

Yeah, I actually revised my post, which I feel for PS1 through PS3 it could easily be solved by using PS Now, just let me put any disc from a PS1, PS2 or PS3 game in the PS5 drive and when you start PS Now it checks the drive, sees which ever game you put in and lets you stream the game for free over PS Now. Just doing that would probably satisfy 90% of the gamers including myself.

splattered

Yeah, I actually revised my post, which I feel for PS1 through PS3 it could easily be solved by using PS Now, just let me put any disc from a PS1, PS2 or PS3 game in the PS5 drive and when you start PS Now it checks the drive, sees which ever game you put in and lets you stream the game for free over PS Now. Just doing that would probably satisfy 90% of the gamers including myself.

That's the problem though... BC should be a completely free feature, not locked behind a PSNow paywall in any way shape or form.

That's the problem though... BC should be a completely free feature, not locked behind a PSNow paywall in any way shape or form.

I 100% agree with you, that is why I was saying if you put the disc in your drive and let PS Now verify the disc then it should let you stream it for free without paying anything as long as you have that disc inserted, if you eject it then it could bump you back to the main GUI of the PS5. I really wish they would utilize PS Now like that, I have done the free trial when it first came and it seems to work pretty well, it was pretty responsive when I used it, so it would be a great path for BC on the older systems to make it feel more fluid.

Banned
MS changes dashboards like underwear for a console gen. It will most surely change, if not at launch then within the first year.

they are currently making a redesign for the dashboard on Xbox One, insider users are already able to get it.
why would they redesign the dashboard so late in the generation? most likely because they also want to use this new version as the base for the Series X

NickFire

It's Friday afternoon or later for most of the world, so it's a safe bet we don't learn anything knew for at least a few more days (friday is when you bury news). But on the bright side, unless these companies want to start risking massive shortages at launch, they've got to lock in their specs fairly soon, right?

OsirisBlack

Banned
Game graphics engine designer working on both consoles says, and I quote. “The differences between these machines is negligible. Yes one edges out the other slightly but so what, our game looks and runs phenomenally.”

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

about their games presentation, they have a trailer cut and ready to show..

Asked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems.” Out of respect I won’t quote exactly what he said about it but it seems they aren’t letting current gen hold them back. I’d avoid ambitious games that are definitely aimed at PS5 and XseX if I didn’t own one or a good gaming computer.

His final thoughts, “Everyone is missing the big picture. We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits.We are able to implement systems and gameplay devices that would crush current consoles, our Lighting alone current gen drops the game to under 20fps at very low resolutions.”

Im going to see if I can actually get him or someone else to commit to an interview about their current games. By commit I mean put his name out their we just won’t be able to go into much detail about the systems but they are primed to show off 000000 O.

Last edited:
Game graphics engine designer working on both consoles says, and I quote. “The differences between these machines is negligible. Yes one edges out the other slightly but so what, our game looks and runs phenomenally.”

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

Asked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems.” Out of respect I won’t quote exactly what he said about it but it seems they aren’t letting current gen hold them back. I’d avoid ambitious games that are definitely aimed at PS5 and XseX if I didn’t own one or a good gaming computer.

His final thoughts, “Everyone is missing the big picture. We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits.We are able to implement systems and gameplay devices that would crush current consoles, our Lighting alone current gen drops the game to under 20fps at very low resolutions.”

Im going to see if I can actually get him or someone else to commit to an interview about their current games. By commit I mean put his name out their we just won’t be able to go into much detail about the systems but they are primed to show off 000000 O.
Which one did you feel like he was saying edges the other one out ?
Thank you for the post man . Appreciated

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
they are currently making a redesign for the dashboard on Xbox One, insider users are already able to get it.
why would they redesign the dashboard so late in the generation? most likely because they also want to use this new version as the base for the Series X

Not shocked, and there it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I am such a "lighting whore" when it comes to graphical design. This made my nerd boner hummmmmmmmm!!!

pawel86ck

Banned

Native 4K + locked 60fps with much better graphics fidelity compared to PS4 games? It sounds amazing but it's really possible on 12TF GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom