• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

This is probably my favorite. Announcement of PS5 soon. By OsirisBlack in November 2018. With GDDR5 and a 2.1 GHz GPU.

And this one is also great. Announcement of PS5 in 14 days. By OsirisBlack on January 20th 2020.

Stop giving him attention.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
these cases are very rare... in RDR2 for example not only does the One X render 2x as many pixels, it also runs smoother than the PS4pro.
every game where the game runs at lower framerates, the Developers messed up, simple as that.
in such cases they should have lowered the resolution a bit but didn't.

in a well made game the One X delivers up to 2x the resolution at the same or higher framerate.

Red Dead 2 is a funny one, because there the visual differences are stark, because for some reason rockstar made the vertical resolution half what it should be rather than just dropping the entire resolution down to a half (or even for a clearer picture 1440p). This resulted in rectangular pixels, which made the game look dreadful on a pro.

There is no technical reason I can think of, to my knowledge anyway, of doing it this way. It actually looks dreadful, and there would be neither a performance loss or performance gain in just lowering resolution the normal way.

But I game mostly on One x over Pro, as it’s my console of choice. But I’ve seen time and time again much smaller differences in resolution, while the Pro has been the smother version (usually resulting in as I said before a locker frame rate and no tearing).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm just trying to say his "Everyone is missing the big picture." is pretty flawed because looks like all the parity talk again.
That is something I don't want in any gen... take the time to get the best from a system.

I don't want more sub-optimized mid-gen upgrade too.

But of course that is me :D

You are going to get "parity" early on. Then the first parties come and and slap around the third parties "parity" and force them to step up their game.

Last edited:
Game graphics engine designer working on both consoles says, and I quote. “The differences between these machines is negligible. Yes one edges out the other slightly but so what, our game looks and runs phenomenally.”

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

about their games presentation, they have a trailer cut and ready to show..

Asked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems.” Out of respect I won’t quote exactly what he said about it but it seems they aren’t letting current gen hold them back. I’d avoid ambitious games that are definitely aimed at PS5 and XseX if I didn’t own one or a good gaming computer.

His final thoughts, “Everyone is missing the big picture. We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits.We are able to implement systems and gameplay devices that would crush current consoles, our Lighting alone current gen drops the game to under 20fps at very low resolutions.”

Im going to see if I can actually get him or someone else to commit to an interview about their current games. By commit I mean put his name out their we just won’t be able to go into much detail about the systems but they are primed to show off 000000 O.

Thanks for delivering this without the riddles. I think that the majority here appreciate that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Red Dead 2 is a funny one, because there the visual differences are stark, because for some reason rockstar made the vertical resolution half what it should beC rather than just dropping the entire resllution down to a half (or even for w clearer picture 1440p). This resulted in rectangular pixels, which made the game look dreadful on a pro.

There is no technical reason I can think of, to my knowledge anyway, of doing it this way. It actually looks dreadful, and there would be neither a performance loss or performance gain in just lowering resolution the normal way.

But I game mostly on One x over Pro, as it’s my console of choice. But I’ve seen time and time again much smaller differences in resolution, while the Pro has been the smother version (usually resulting in as I said before a locker frame rate and no tearing).

Agreed, that is why playing it at 1080p on the Pro even on a 4K set, it looked much sharper and was locked 30fps even in towns due to the overhead.

They should have went 1440p and it would have looked fantastic.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Agreed, that is why playing it at 1080p on the Pro even on a 4K set, it looked much sharper and was locked 30fps even in towns due to the overhead.

I never understood it... I had friends come over and just be god smacked at the difference on X, but the truth is, yeah it was rendering a lot higher, but the Pros weird pixel ratio made it look even lower than 1080p. As you said, forcing the game to 1080p made it look BETTER.

Weird but... Rockstar gonna rockstar.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never understood it... I had friends come over and just be god smacked at the difference on X, but the truth is, yeah it was rendering a lot higher, but the Pros weird pixel ratio made it look even lower than 1080p. As you said, forcing the game to 1080p made it look BETTER.

Weird but... Rockstar gonna rockstar.

I don't have a Pro, but a good buddy of mine does. He saw how the base looked on my 4K set and he was puzzled at how it "looked better". He forced his Pro into 1080p for that game, and now he is a happy champ when we play online.

And he said the same thing. Rockstar gonna Rocktar. :pie_roffles:

We say it after every bug or patch, but their games are so damned addicting.

Last edited:

Banned

yes and the sereies you see this often in is Call of Duty... which also has an exclusivity deal with Sony.. weird right?
the One X is in every aspect of the hardware superior... if the developers are actually trying to have a smooth framerate on both, but they don't accomplish that on the better hardware, then there's something wrong with these developers.
that's basically like if you had one PC with a Ryzen 2600 + Geforce 2070 that runs a game better than a PC with a Ryzen 2700 + Geforce 2080... that would be very weird and there would be something wrong with the code

both systems have the same architecture, the One X just has a better version of the GPU, a better version of the CPU and faster and more RAM of the same type. it is superior in raw tflop performance and in bandwidth.

LED Guy?

Banned
Game graphics engine designer working on both consoles says, and I quote. “The differences between these machines is negligible. Yes one edges out the other slightly but so what, our game looks and runs phenomenally.”

when pressed about the old numbers still being correct 11.6 and 12.4 response I got was.”Not going to do that to youagain, some tweaks same ballpark, same advantages and disadvantages.”

about their games presentation, they have a trailer cut and ready to show..

Asked about bc for both systems and was told “Game doesn’t have to work on PS4 but we are dealing with both current X systems.” Out of respect I won’t quote exactly what he said about it but it seems they aren’t letting current gen hold them back. I’d avoid ambitious games that are definitely aimed at PS5 and XseX if I didn’t own one or a good gaming computer.

His final thoughts, “Everyone is missing the big picture. We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits.We are able to implement systems and gameplay devices that would crush current consoles, our Lighting alone current gen drops the game to under 20fps at very low resolutions.”

Im going to see if I can actually get him or someone else to commit to an interview about their current games. By commit I mean put his name out their we just won’t be able to go into much detail about the systems but they are primed to show off 000000 O.
Which one did he say is more powerful? Just from how he was speaking about both consoles...

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Someone here already posted his comments regarding Sony revealing things "soon", we all know how that went.

I really wish "insiders" would be held accountable for what they say. But he spreads his BS since almost a year and a half and no matter that neither of his leaks ever actually becomes reality, he can still go on. You can be wrong once. But if you are constantly wrong it's just tales from not so crazy buttocks.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
yes and the sereies you see this often in is Call of Duty... which also has an exclusivity deal with Sony.. weird right?
the One X is in every aspect of the hardware superior... if the developers are actually trying to have a smooth framerate on both, but they don't accomplish that on the better hardware, then there's something wrong with these developers.
that's basically like if you had one PC with a Ryzen 2600 + Geforce 2070 that runs a game better than a PC with a Ryzen 2700 + Geforce 2080... that would be very weird and there would be something wrong with the code

both systems have the same architecture, the One X just has a better version of the GPU, a better version of the CPU and faster and more RAM of the same type. it is superior in raw tflop performance and in bandwidth.

Mate I’m on your side, lol.

The trouble is the X is a fantastic machine but sometimes it DOES struggle to hit 4k, and for some reason devs love to force it into that. Sometimes, the game could quite easily be slightly lower res, and still be higher than pro but with no frame drops. It’s almost like they MUST put it in 4k for some reason. At least on Pro, yes, it’s far lower, but it’s sometimes smoother.

edit: I’m going to throw this iPhone out the bloody window, why is typing in ios13 such a bag of shit...

Last edited:

Reindeer

I really wish "insiders" would be held accountable for what they say. But he spreads his BS since almost a year and a half and no matter that neither of his leaks ever actually becomes reality, he can still go on. You can be wrong once. But if you are constantly wrong it's just tales from not so crazy buttocks.
People will stick with whoever says whatever they want to hear, it's the same for both Xbox and PS fans.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

They will be, when the time comes.

In the meantime, dial it back on the crusade. Let people have their fun as long as they are not dogpiling, warring, and being an overall ass to one another.

chilichote

XSX and XSS are next gen X systems, not current X systems. Read the sentence. Asked about BC he said the game doesn't have to run on PS4 BUT on the current Xbox consoles.

That sentence from Osiris sound like if you want to make a game for XseX, it has to work on the whole Xboxfamily.

And that a game don't have to work on a platform doesn't mean , in that context, it didn't release on that platform. If you have to make a game for the weakest console, you will port it to the popular too. So i think, this game will be a classic crossplatformgame.

Last edited:
BTW guys are we sure RDNA means Navi ?

2019-05-27-image-7.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You see, the point where either you or your source are complete liars is where it is suggested that the game has to run on current gen Xbox consoles. That's just made up BS. No third party developer would be stupid enough to support Xbox One S but do next gen only for the PS version (and leave 110 million potential customers). So somebody clearly thought they could make a point out of the whole "crossgen only" story for Xbox Series X and was not able to grasp that only games from Xbox Game Studios have to be crossgen. And not everything that wants to launch on XSX. Which in turn tells me that the rest is just as made-up. Osiris, you got to try harder, that's the most transparent troll post I have seen yet.

Also this

"We’re running at native 4k and locked 60 with room to spare on both kits."

is completely crazy. That doesn't happen. Ever. If you run a locked 60 your game is actually running at an unstable 80. There is no headroom, you target a number and use that "room to spare" to lock that number down. You can't actually use the overhead, you need it.
source.gif

saintjules

This is probably my favorite. Announcement of PS5 soon. By OsirisBlack in November 2018. With GDDR5 and a 2.1 GHz GPU.

And this one is also great. Announcement of PS5 in 14 days. By OsirisBlack on January 20th 2020.

Stop giving him attention.
End of Feb. all insiders will be purged from my Brain if they're wrong.

Seriously, why do you keep bringing up that Vega 64 tflop count when we all know it's a terrible GPU that's a false representation of what tflops can deliver in videogames. This is a seriously bad way to make a case for your argument.

Why wouldn't I use it when it's a real product from the exact same company that is designing the chip inside the xbox series X and PS5? Why wouldn't a 12TF GPU exhibit the types of advantages over a hypothetical higher teraflop GPU part as the RX 5700XT? I'd say it's pretty damn logical from where I'm sitting the argument I'm making. There's no fact that discredits it. It doesn't matter how "terrible" a gpu Vega 64 is. The fact is that it RX 5700XT was still a fantastic architectural advancement over that 13.8TF GPU. The point is to demonstrate the efficiency and performance gains. A 12 TF part on Navi would be even more impressive.

Reindeer

Why wouldn't I use it when it's a real product from the exact same company that is designing the chip inside the xbox series X and PS5? Why wouldn't a 12TF GPU exhibit the types of advantages over a hypothetical higher teraflop GPU part as the RX 5700XT? I'd say it's pretty damn logical from where I'm sitting the argument I'm making. There's no fact that discredits it. It doesn't matter how "terrible" a gpu Vega 64 is. The fact is that it RX 5700XT was still a fantastic architectural advancement over that 13.8TF GPU. The point is to demonstrate the efficiency and performance gains. A 12 TF part on Navi would be even more impressive.
You displaying a classic case of using an extreme example to try prove your point. You painting a false picture by using Vega64 in your measurement of tflop efficiency. You should use a more common and widely accepted example and your point will be valid and fair.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

It must have been for the marketing, Sony knowing it was proper 4k on X. 1440p would have looked great on Pro.

Banned
1440p doesn't look great on a 4k screen at all.
it's nowhere near the point where it looks convincingly native, and it kills the even pixel scaling 1080p has on a 4K screen.

if anything developers should always try to use a reconstruction method like checkerboard rendering to support 4K screens. even it it's only 1800cb like in many early PS4pro games (Deus Ex, Watchdogs 2) 1800p looks close enough to 4K to actually look convincing at a distance.
also sucks that the PS4pro doesn't support 1440p at all as an output resolution. so you can't even use the PS4pro on a 1440p screen to have a native resolution option for 1440p games, and many have 1440p PC screens (I have one for example, and I would love to hook the PS4pro up to that, but then I would have to set it to 1080p output..)

SlimySnake

You displaying a classic case of using an extreme example to try prove your point. You painting a false picture by using Vega64 in your measurement of tflop efficiency. You should use a more common and widely accepted example and your point will be valid and fair.
Sure. but you do realize that when compared to Tahiti or GCN 1.0 gpus like the x1 and ps4 gpus, 12 rdna tflops would be somewhere around 18-20 gcn 1.0 tflops. DF did an analysis and the 5700 tflops were roughly 50-60% better than gcn 1.0 tflops and 25-30% better compared to Polaris.

I know the vega 64 was a poor card, but a 12 rdna tflops gpu would be equivalent 15 polaris tflops and 18-20 tahiti tflops. As such, any game that runs at 1080p on a ps4 should be able to run at 4x the resolution and 2x the framerate with room to spare.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The difference is negligible, we'll find out how true this is in not so distant future.
Yes you will.

I have only shared what I was told. Which leaks actually becoming reality? Hey guys Sony has a new ghosts of Tsushima trailer. Shown a week later. hey guys MS is done with the box, Shown a week later. Its ok to not like what I say or even point but when shits wrong but when it happens recognize it and credit it. No one said any of that shit before I did but I have to keep hearing about old shit and not the shit that just went down. I have no agenda I actually like both companies and their products. The machines being pretty even is a very good thing for everyone and any conversation stating otherwise is just someone pushing a fanboy agenda. Iv'e previously stated who my sources were and it hasn't changed I am working on actually getting someone to put their name on something and am relatively close. Not the Soony kind either. Also what happened in the time frame I posted? just out of curiosity, I suppose that was a coincidence. As for dates you better pay attention to the world news.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
1440p doesn't look great on a 4k screen at all.
it's nowhere near the point where it looks convincingly native, and it kills the even pixel scaling 1080p has on a 4K screen.

if anything developers should always try to use a reconstruction method like checkerboard rendering to support 4K screens. even it it's only 1800cb like in many early PS4pro games (Deus Ex, Watchdogs 2) 1800p looks close enough to 4K to actually look convincing at a distance.
also sucks that the PS4pro doesn't support 1440p at all as an output resolution. so you can't even use the PS4pro on a 1440p screen to have a native resolution option for 1440p games, and many have 1440p PC screens (I have one for example, and I would love to hook the PS4pro up to that, but then I would have to set it to 1080p output..)
I think 1440p looks at lot better than 1080p on 4k tv. Some 1080p games look quite blurry on it compared to my 1080p tv.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The problem I have with resolutions is that they need to fit into the pixel density of your panel. So, obviously you can super sample, that’s fine, but once you go higher on like a 4k display things get messy.

Now I’m perfectly fine with 1440p,
It looks fine, but it’s when devs start doing shit like 1786x1193... that really hurts my head...

So yeah, if you’re fitting 1:1 that’s great of
Course, and 2:1 that’s fine, but once you start stretching 2 and a half pixels over a pixel...

*head aches*

As for what OsirisBlack OsirisBlack just said, I’ll just repeat what I’ve always said: I want the two systems to be on par with each other, it’s the best for ALl of us. I do find it odd that the SX isn’t taking the smidge of a lead but then, that’s just me. We don’t even know what that tiny lead even is, but people have their knickers in a twist.

Trust the fungus.

SlimySnake

Jesus, Xbox shills can't be happy if both systems are practically the same, their plastic box gotta have a gigantic edge or else they'll jump from the nearest bridge. Would you feel better if you at least got the negligible edge?
no, its quite clear why they want the github leaks to be true. they want a massive victory, and they not only want MS to succeed, but also need Sony to fail. its why they went after klee and go after Osiris here. I have no love for Osiris but their hate boners for these guys is so transparent it's sad.

whats funny is that they are perfectly willing to let a 4 tflops lockhart hold back next gen because they know it will allow MS to sell to the ignorant masses so they can win not only the tflops war but also the sales war.

Like Mod of War said, both parties are guilty of fanboyism in this thread, but you never see any Sony fans begging for a 4 tflops cheaper sku of their own so Sony can make more money selling to senior citizens in retirement homes and bored housewives. you never see Sony fans defend cross gen games by Sony first party studios just because it will help them make more money. you dont see Sony fans hope for a $399 8 tflops anaconda either. no one should want the baseline to be in the single digits. its so bizarre.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

no, its quite clear why they want the github leaks to be true. they want a massive victory, and they not only want MS to succeed, but also need Sony to fail. its why they went after klee and go after Osiris here. I have no love for Osiris but their hate boners for these guys is so transparent it's sad.

whats funny is that they are perfectly willing to let a 4 tflops lockhart hold back next gen because they know it will allow MS to sell to the ignorant masses so they can win not only the tflops war but also the sales war.

Like Mod of War said, both parties are guilty of fanboyism in this thread, but you never see any Sony fans begging for a 4 tflops cheaper sku of their own so Sony can make more money selling to senior citizens in retirement homes and bored housewives. you never see Sony fans defend cross gen games by Sony first party studios just because it will help them make more money. you dont see Sony fans hope for a $399 8 tflops anaconda either. no one should want the baseline to be in the single digits. its so bizarre.

could be fans, could be guerrilla marketeers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom