• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
99% here probably doesn't even know what ASMR is.

147465.jpg

147466.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why do people CONSTANTLY compare video game consoles to iPhones?
I don't know, a majority of people have their phones via pay monthly contracts for £40 a month
It's not really comparable at all.
Horrible movie though.
I Disagree, it shits on MCU Spidy from a great height, even it's sequel with all its flaws is better then the shit they're trying to past off as a Spidy Movie.
Even the game gets it right.
They should have stopped at his appearance in Civil War.
Because that's the only time MCU Spidy was actually good.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
UPDATE: Today, Sony Interactive Entertainment made the decision to cancel its participation at PAX East in Boston this year due to increasing concerns related to COVID-19 (also known as “novel coronavirus”). We felt this was the safest option as the situation is changing daily. We are disappointed to cancel our participation in this event, but the health and safety of our global workforce is our highest concern.

RaySoft

Dumbasses...

Cheap consoles = cheap parts = underpowered gaming machines = bad for the entire industry. The age of sub-500$ launch price should be a thing of the past. I hope that will be the case with PS5 and XSX.
Depends of how you calculate price.. The new consoles are gonna be on the market for 5-7'ish years (depending on available tech at conseption) So both Ms and Sony (especially) are able to take an exceptionally hit on price during it's launch year. They _will_ recoup in the longrun with cheaper parts and subscriptions anyways.
Not forgetting that they also get nice bulk prices for parts since they order in magnitude of millions.
So my guess is that the power you get for the price you pay is unmatchable elsewhere.

Wireless you can bet your money on and tht in itself will have me spending a few hundred on psvr once again 🤦‍♂️ Higher res of course, more powerful systems. This shit is going to be dopeeee.

I don't own the first PSVR, but I do own an Oculus Rift and damn does that cord get in my way, if the PSVR2 is wireless and has higher res to get rid of any screen door effect I will be throwing my money at them so fast!

Gamernyc78

Banned
I don't own the first PSVR, but I do own an Oculus Rift and damn does that cord get in my way, if the PSVR2 is wireless and has higher res to get rid of any screen door effect I will be throwing my money at them so fast!

I like my psvr, it's great but half the time I don't play it is due to the reconnection of wires. It'll be a game changer for me indeed.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Here you go, it's your info you're promised to get by Sony when reaching 1000

f0d.jpg

Shouldn't be a shock to anyone. A lot of companies are restricting travel to and from Asian regions, whether or not they have the Coronavirus active there. Also seems to me that a lot of Asian countries react VERY STRONGLY to any disease. Seem to see a lot of video and pictures from there in just about any given year where lots of people are wearing masks, etc., even WITHOUT some big public bug like we have right now. I've wondered if that was a cultural thing- more aversion to germs for example, or if it's simply a reaction to those areas where there are tons of people in crowds so people try to safeguard their health in general?

Either way, not a shock. Until this Corona virus is gone or at least not increasing in scope of infection, I expect more of the same. I believe this is also driving the memory 'shortages' and other component issues the tech field is experiencing. Plus, don't forget that a lot of manufacturing shifted from China to other countries like Taiwan and Vietnam over the past year due in large part to the tariffs put on Chinese goods. Those shifts come at a price and impact and a lot of those other markets aren't quite up to the task of providing exactly what China did. I don't think those shifts are really what's impacting Sony and MS as far as consoles go though...for them it's probably delays in production due to the virus in China. Time will tell!

Edit: IN NO WAY am I trying to cast any aspersion on asians or asian culture. Just wondering aloud about seeing those different kinds of pictures on a regular basis. Plus, China has reacted VERY STRONGLY to this bug and for something that's supposedly only as dangerous as the regular flu...it seems like overkill. So it makes me wonder and simply wonder if there are cultural/societal differences at play. That is all!

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

Two hours and several drinks later

When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

Notes
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.
The trailer is all actual game play. Not in engine but game play.
Every developer or engineer I have ever met day drinks.

saintjules

the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

Notes
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.

We're about 5 posts away from #50,000. you can add a few more comments if you wish :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I wish reality would set in. Corona is not more deadly than influenca. They are targeting the same people (old people with existing conditions). Except it seems like Corona targets predominantly East Asian people while influenca targets mostly people in Europe/America. 10.000 people died this flu season alone in the US, yet everybody is scared because of 15 corona infections. It's ridiculous.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Notes

Thank you for the information! That is very good to hear and I am definitely looking forward to seeing how games can progress in the coming years with this hardware boost. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom