• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delpij

Twitter header change...

awOy6bP.jpg

source.gif

THE:MILKMAN

They've been trying for a while now to extricate themselves from the TF narrative. Go figure, how all changes...

The thing that slightly irks me is the fact Microsoft (and DF!) have banged on about how transparent they are compared to Sony being so secretive (they had a point). Yet all those specs and no TF figure for XSS even though we here already know it.

Mahavastu

No my theory is that the blu-ray has only 825GB of SSD while the DE has double that.
The main reasons for the existence of the Digital Edition are
1. cheaper to manufacture, less defects, reducing the price
2. bind the customer to the PSN Store, which allows more subsidizing, reducing the price

Or with other words, the sole reason for the Digital Edition to exist is lowering the sale price and binding the customer. Increasing the SSD space and ending up with an even more expensive console would contradict this and would be stupid.

There is also no reason, why the SSD on the digital edition should be larger then on the disc version, since the install size for the games is the same for both. Why should Sony offer the digital edition with a larger SSD then the full version? If they offer a larger SSD, they will offer it for both devices.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
If XSX is doing ~4K at 12TF, I can't see XSS doing 1440p very often at 4TF, I expect most games will be somewhere in between 1440p and 1080p. Saying that, upscaling tech could mitigate it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If XSX is doing ~4K at 12TF, I can't see XSS doing 1440p very often at 4TF, I expect most games will be somewhere in between 1440p and 1080p. Saying that, upscaling tech could mitigate it.
Upscaling tech likely to be using up CUs/TF anyways though.. so far no indication of any separate hardware for that like the tensor cores on the nVidia side.

SSfox

I don't care about the price, games are the only things that can save MS, which Xbox haven't been doing well since quite a while a now, and still the case today.

Plus when it comes to pure hardware wise speaking, PS5 is so much more exciting, Pad has new stuffs that seems exciting (on paper at least), Audio seems revolution, console architecture revolutionary as well, mostly because of the SSD I/O. And don't even let me start to talk about the games.

Both Xbox consoles aren't exciting at all, i could've ignore the lack of innovations if MS delivered games, but heck not even, just pushing for gamepass as usual. Xbox in 2 years maybe (we'll see) but def not right now.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I like xss design better than xsx.

Xsx looks boring but xss looks nice to me

I'm not sure if they'll put cleanable filters this time around, I think that'll save so much for most lazy ones like me. I've never cleaned a console before in my life if it's not like totally broken, which means the cracked PS1 lazer for pirated games (yes, I was bad, sorry).

Dabaus

Banned
Im firmly in the the 399 camp for the PS5 Digital only (anything over that would be a very bad look). With that said a 349.99 and 449.99 Digital and regular PS5 i think would make the 299 pricepoint sort of irrelevant. Thatd be too good to be true though.

Im firmly in the the 399 camp for the PS5 Digital only (anything over that would be a very bad look). With that said a 349.99 and 449.99 Digital and regular PS5 i think would make the 299 pricepoint sort of irrelevant. Thatd be too good to be true though.
I don't think 349 is logical . That would mean for 50$ more than xss u gonna get

more powerful gpu by 250% ,
more ram by 60%
faster ram
better ssd
better io by 250%
more ssd

That doesn't sound realistic 😕

Nowcry

I don't think 349 is logical . That would mean for 50$ more than xss u gonna get

more powerful gpu by 250% ,
more ram by 60%
faster ram
better ssd
better io by 250%
more ssd

That doesn't sound realistic 😕
Unless Microsoft is not losing money and is actually making money.

Last edited:

Okamiden

I'm shocked some guys here seriously considering PS5 to cost anything more than 499. Like really, you don't know history at all and what happened last time they released overpriced console? It will be 399 DE and 499 max for Standard edition. It can't be more obvious.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm shocked some guys here seriously considering PS5 to cost anything more than 499. Like really, you don't know history at all and what happened last time they released overpriced console? It will be 399 DE and 499 max for Standard edition.
$599 in 2006 is almost $799 today, so $599 for PS5 in 2020 is not as overpriced.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm shocked some guys here seriously considering PS5 to cost anything more than 499. Like really, you don't know history at all and what happened last time they released overpriced console? It will be 399 DE and 499 max for Standard edition. It can't be more obvious.
Pretty sure it comes down to what gamers think that super fast SSD costs. None of us know, but surely can't be cheap.

Gamers who think it's expensive are probably that $550-600 camp. Gamers who think Sony will bite the bullet or get huge cost efficiencies will trend down to $500 or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom