• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe that. I mean we saw the same reports about support PS4 Pro from launch, 4 years after there are games releasing with no Pro support such as Mortal Shell
Mortal Shell doesn't run on PS4 Pro? We're mixing support with enhancing here, I think. And just in case, here's a FAQ about PS4 Pro where it is stated that: "Upon its launch, PS4 Pro will make supported PS4 games look better and run more smoothly, while giving developers an upgraded toolset to create even richer, more detailed game worlds. How these powerful new tools are used is up to individual developers and the experience they are creating."

So, enhancing games is always been up to developers, not enforced by Sony. What I mean is that all Sony is enforcing is games released on PS4 after a certain date to run on PS5 too, not that they are enhanced in any way to take advantage of the hardware. Games have to be supported by the hardware, as it is the case between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Edit: Forgot to include the link to the FAQ, sorry. https://blog.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Last edited:

Garani

I'm so glad he didn't get one. Fuck that guy. Fuck him in the ear.

We need fewer gamers like him. Angry cunts who hate play games just for a views on YouTube.
He'll just go buy one like most other people, he's gonna be fine.

Oh, I am sure that AngryJoe will cope with it and just go on with his life. As far as I understood (I am not too much of a fanboy) he got his PS5 secured but not hix XSX. Anyhow the guy gets pretty much no goods from anyone, as far as I am aware, so he can still go around and brag that he is independent in his take.

I believe that the guy is right on a number of issues, thought. He is right about corporate greed and he is right in advocating more value for the money spent and death to loot boxes, pretty much like Jim Sterling. The problem that I have with him (and pretty much every one else out there) is when they mix gaming and politics, and AngryJoe is very vocal on polical issues.

I'm selling my ps4 pro on Friday, is copying my save files on usb enough to be ready for ps5 ?
do I have to make my ps4 pro not primary console or can I just delete everything.
I thought about also copying those pictures connected to trophies
If you can afford it, do this:
  1. get a big ass external HDD (4TB should be at around 100 bucks or less);
  2. dump everything on the HDD: games, saves, trophies, etc;
  3. if you have PS+, save all saves on the cloud
  4. deactivate from primary, wipe the PS4Pro and sell it
Once you get a PS5 you can hook up the drive to it so that you can pla all PS4 games directly from it or use it as a cold storage to move games in and out of the SSD. The save files can be restored from the cloud or the HDD, which ever works best for you.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

That‘s where I am. A friend had a second XSX pre order that he gave me first refusal on, but I’ve told him to give it to someone else. I’ll pick up an XSX in a year or two for less when it has games on it I can’t play elsewhere.

I can understand that. I think given what happened with this gen and early signs so far next gen in terms of quality and that from XBox I think its a safe approach. Not trying to hate or be a troll/console warrior I just think in terms of investment in trust and money they still have a long way to go to prove themselves in terms of quality of a Sony or Nintendo and can't afford another generation of wait until next E3 especially if we don't know if there will be any more E3's.

ArcaneNLSC

How is it possible? Then why was is so long at all if there always was a capability to speed loading up? Artificial limitation? What for?

Cerny
tenor.gif

TLZ

Banned
Not what I got from talking to JB staff the other day at Garden city they sold out until after Christmas 2021 I even checked to see about Black Friday and was said it was going to be a very different Black Friday and that they won't have any either
You mean Christmas 2020 right? Can't be 2021....

ArcaneNLSC

Damn! That's considering they never get stock til then. I can't believe Sony won't be sending any for a whole year!

they just sold out of 2 shipments in minutes when they opened them up. Infact both stores are not taking anymore pre orders and I think other stores are at this point either. I'd say you got a better chance of finding a unicorn than getting a PS5 for the next 18 months

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

What makes you think that a store clerk knows Sony’s shipping plans?

I suspect he was trying to sell you a different box that’s available now.

Or just pulling it out of his ass.

First of all it was a she who i spoke to and she didn't try and sell me anything I asked her about trying to get a pre order in and even asked about the likelihood of trying to possibly get one on Black Friday in which she replied they are sold out until after Christmas 2021 and that Black Friday sales will be very different this year and will not have any spare ones available to buy.

There could be a chance that Sony pick up production numbers later next year and increase the volume of shipments but at this point JB and EB have had to stop taking pre orders for the time being because no new stock or shipment allocations have been made

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Elysion

Banned
There’s no way the PS5 is 'sold out' until 2022, lol. Is Sony just going to stop shipping PS5s to their retail partners in the next twelve months? I’m pretty sure at this point Sony isn’t even certain how many consoles they’ll be producing next year, so how can a retailer know that there won’t be any available by then?

What is possible however is that some retailers expect demand to be so high that they’ll continue to sell PS5s through pre-orders only over the course of the next year, and that people won’t be able to just pick one up from store shelves.

ArcaneNLSC

There’s no way the PS5 is 'sold out' until 2022, lol. Is Sony just going to stop shipping PS5s to their retail partners in the next twelve months? I’m pretty sure at this point Sony isn’t even certain how many consoles they’ll be producing next year, so how can a retailer know that there won’t be any available by then?

What is possible however is that some retailers expect demand to be so high that they’ll continue to sell PS5s through pre-orders only over the course of the next year, and that people won’t be able to just pick one up from store shelves.

So far from the 2 shipment allocations for 2020 and 2021 is what both EB and JB staff have said are sold out but like I said if Sony are able to increase production numbers next year who knows things might improve but at this point all stock they are set to receieve are technically sold from pre orders

FunkMiller

I’m just not looking forward to waiting 12 weeks on the slow boat from China. VR should have been ready immediately upon opening the box. This screws all the VR devs also.

Covid related issue?

Or maybe there’s some mechanism they’re employing to ensure that only genuine PSVR owners receive the adaptor, and it can’t kick in until release?

Either way, it’s not a good thing at all. They should have been better prepared for the transition.

TLZ

Banned
here is the PS5 Disc version page on JB
U6FisF9.jpg

Yeah I know they're all sold out now. I just find it difficult to believe we won't have any stock til 2022. I'm sure Sony will drip feed every few months. Well I hope they do..

ArcaneNLSC

Yeah I know they're all sold out now. I just find it difficult to believe we won't have any stock til 2022. I'm sure Sony will drip feed every few months. Well I hope they do..

I hope they do too but that is what information I've been told by EB and JB staff over the last 2 weeks or so. I'll obviously keep checking but yeah I guess we'll see what happens

Reactions: TLZ

ToadMan

First of all it was a she who i spoke to and she didn't try and sell me anything I asked her about trying to get a pre order in and even asked about the likelihood of trying to possibly get one on Black Friday in which she replied they are sold out until after Christmas 2021 and that Black Friday sales will be very different this year and will not have any spare ones available to buy.

There could be a chance that Sony pick up production numbers later next year and increase the volume of shipments but at this point JB and EB have had to stop taking pre orders for the time being because no new stock or shipment allocations have been made

Uh huh.

With respect you were told some crap by an EB pleb - sure one with a vagina - they can be wrong, lie or be stupid too - and you’ve decided to extrapolate that no one should expect to be able to buy a PS5 for over a year.

Ceasing to take preorders is common for popular products. It doesn’t mean there’s no new stock for a year +.

ArcaneNLSC

Uh huh.

With respect you were told some crap by an EB pleb - sure one with a vagina - they can be wrong, lie or be stupid too - and you’ve decided to extrapolate that no one should expect to be able to buy a PS5 for over a year.

Ceasing to take preorders is common for popular products. It doesn’t mean there’s no new stock for a year +.

No dipshit what I am saying is at this point from what the 2 shipment orders they've been allocated for 2020 and 2021 are all sold outr at this point and have informed customers that they can no longer take pre orders for now

geordiemp

If a specfic shop is having issues, maybe they are not paying their bills or whatever, not every shop will have equal standing with suppliers.

I doubt amazon will struggle. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
If a specfic shop is having issues, maybe they are not paying their bills or whatever, not every shop will have equal standing with suppliers.

I doubt amazon will struggle. :messenger_beaming:
Does this apply to different branches of the same store, i.e. Gamestop/EBGames?

ToadMan

No dipshit what I am saying is at this point from what the 2 shipment orders they've been allocated for 2020 and 2021 are all sold outr at this point and have informed customers that they can no longer take pre orders for now

That’s what you’re saying now. Your opening post on this claimed this was some general Limitation on new stock which it obviously isn’t.

Thanks for the info - I won’t suggest anyone go look at EB for a PS5. I haven’t done that for about 10 years anyway - in fact now I think about it I’m surprised EB had any launch day stock at all.

Instead I’ll direct them to the retailers that will be getting stock - almost all of them except EB.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Does this apply to different branches of the same store, i.e. Gamestop/EBGames?

No idea, but not every store will have the same rating or supply agreement, especialy if they are frowned upon by doing things suppliers dont like, such as allowing scalping or selling more than they were given. Or not paying on time / credit rating.

Then you have small franchises and big players like amazon. I am not from USA and not familiar with this store.

However, you can bet amazon get treated better than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

ArcaneNLSC

That’s what you’re saying now. Your opening post on this claimed this was some general Limitation on new stock which it obviously isn’t.

Thanks for the info - I won’t suggest anyone go look at EB for a PS5. I haven’t done that for about 10 years anyway - in fact now I think about it I’m surprised EB had any launch day stock at all.

Instead I’ll direct them to the retailers that will be getting stock - almost all of them except EB.

I think you just misinterpreted what I said in a way I was never trying to troll or be console warrior about this or provide FUD but yes both stores indicated don't expect to get one until 2022 at this point from and wouldn't take my pre order.

TLZ

Banned

But why? Where do you live?

FunkMiller

JB have always struck me as the better retailer. Not by much though. I’d rather just get everything off Amazon when I’m in Australia.

ArcaneNLSC

I will say this, I thought the PS4 launch here in Australia was insane if you didn't order by July 2013 you weren't getting one until April-May 2014 but the PS5 has seemed to outdone it.

xacto

After the 28th we will know just how close Cernys relationship with AMD actually was... I would think.
Be it Geometry Engine, Tempest Engine and the RT implementation. 🤷‍♂️
For all we know Infinity Cache was the result of the RAM choice for PS5 🤷‍♂️

Then again maybe there's nothing special at all, but I'm going 70/30 in favour that there is.

The only Cerny relationship that MATTERS

c8YIGI3.png

xacto

I will say this, I thought the PS4 launch here in Australia was insane if you didn't order by July 2013 you weren't getting one until April-May 2014 but the PS5 has seemed to outdone it.

I remember back in 2013, a lot of European countries were dealing with PS4 shortages during the release window; not Italy though, I walked into MediaWorld not day 1, but literally day 2, and there were mountains of PS4 boxes, no one was giving them a second look.

While I do believe all countries aren't created equal regarding stock allocations, it's hard for me to believe (at least in Europe) that Sony sold all their available consoles through pre-orders, and come launch day there will be zero units in the stores.

But again, for some countries it happened like this in 2013, so it might happen again this time. And still, we should also take into account the hype factor as well.

How is it possible? Then why was is so long at all if there always was a capability to speed loading up? Artificial limitation? What for?
Well. The PS5 changes the way I/O works where they just need an ID for anything they want to load or something like that. Maybe when they implemented this system it just speed up everything even on the PS4?

I surely don’t think it’s artificial because the game is 6 year old.

It’s weird seeing y’all say the PS5 is sold out until 2022 or things like that... Brazil literally has a lot of PS5s right now. PS5 Digital Edition and XSS are still available on Amazon (by R$4500 and R$3000, roughly 800 and 530 dollars).

A lot of other retailers still have the disc edition and Series X too.

I’m kinda happy I’m not in a rush to buy it lol

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
It’s weird seeing y’all say the PS5 is sold out until 2022 or things like that... Brazil literally has a lot of PS5s right now. PS5 Digital Edition and XSS are still available on Amazon (by R$4500 and R$3000, roughly 800 and 530 dollars).

Lol I don’t believe it’s sold out till 2022, that is absurd. The stock that Sony will give to retailers is only for the next 2-3 months if I am correct. I’m not in a rush to buy it as well, but I will need to save a lot of cash because I want to upgrade to a 4K tv.

Sinthor

Gold Member
What makes you think that a store clerk knows Sony’s shipping plans?

I suspect he was trying to sell you a different box that’s available now.

Or just pulling it out of his ass.

Yes, isn't EB an arm of GameStop? Now that MS inked the deal with GameStop so that they share the profit from digital game sales for Xbox systems that GameStop sells, how long do you think it will be till GameStop is pretty much an exclusive Microsoft shop? I mean, why would they advise ANYONE to buy a Playstation when they make money from Microsoft hardware that they sell?

I REALLY don't like that deal. It's basically setting up MS brick and mortar shops without the investment it would take to truly set them up on their own.

Lol I don’t believe it’s sold out till 2022, that is absurd. The stock that Sony will give to retailers is only for the next 2-3 months if I am correct. I’m not in a rush to buy it as well, but I will need to save a lot of cash because I want to upgrade to a 4K tv.
Yep, I think 2022 is a bit of a stretch. I’m not preordering because I’ll be too busy on the 19th and I also want to just walk into the store and take my PS5 home lol.

Sinthor

Gold Member

This. There's NO WAY they can tell people they are sold out until 2022. They don't even have allocations or know what they'll be getting out that far. So whoever told someone this, was talking out of their ass.

LucasBR

Are you Brazilian? I haven't decided yet what to do. I'm living in Ireland at the moment but I will move back to Brazil next year, depending on the prices in Brazil I might buy mine there.

Antelope

Should I go full evil and sell my second PS5 pre-order? I only got it because I don’t trust Amazon to deliver anything on time.

Or should I throw it back into the pond and let another catch it....

Money or sleeping well at night. Tough choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom