• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCaffran

consoleS

5uhKQz8.png

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m gonna hazard a guess to say that this is what my friend was taking about, however I’m still hoping for something else, something more. Early days yet. 👍🏻

But nice to know something came from this as I said.

Also with it being on 7nm only that also confirms what I said about it being a sort of almost 1.9 rather than a full 2.0 RDNA, so there’s that too.

I would call this a win for me tonight :)

Let’s keep going and see what else tonight brings 👍🏻

Last edited:
RT codeveloped with MS. Interesting...

Yeah I noticed that as well. I'm guessing RT will be somewhat different between MS and Sony. And both being RDNA2 I guess doesn't mean too much because we just found out RDNA2 is definitely 7nm when many were thinking it was 7nm+. So it'd actually be more "interesting" if either system has some RDNA3 features customized to their APUs, but the chances of that are near 0% I'd assume xD.

FWIW it was already mentioned that Oberon didn't show RT on steppings tests because the blocks with the RT were disabled for regression tests to run Ariel iGPU mode for PS4 and PS4 Pro compatibility. So clarification of RDNA2 doesn't really change much of what we already know regarding XSX or PS5 in particular. It just means that you don't need 7nm EUV for it because AMD might be skipping right to 5nm for RDNA3 instead.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I'm guessing RT will be somewhat different between MS and Sony. And both being RDNA2 I guess doesn't mean too much because we just found out RDNA2 is definitely 7nm when many were thinking it was 7nm+. So it'd actually be more "interesting" if either system has some RDNA3 features customized to their APUs, but the chances of that are near 0% I'd assume xD.

FWIW it was already mentioned that Oberon didn't show RT on steppings tests because the blocks with the RT were disabled for regression tests to run Ariel iGPU mode for PS4 and PS4 Pro compatibility. So clarification of RDNA2 doesn't really change much of what we already know regarding XSX or PS5 in particular. It just means that you don't need 7nm EUV for it because AMD might be skipping right to 5nm for RDNA3 instead.

Sony can make their own API, right? And besides that, they can create their own RT solution

DJ12

I’m gonna hazard a guess to say that this is what my friend was taking about, however I’m still hoping for something else, something more. Early days yet. 👍🏻

But nice to know something came from this as I said.
Tell him he needs to come out from the bunker more, we knew this already :messenger_winking_tongue:
PS5 is GCN.
PS5 is RDNA 1.
PS5 has no VRS.
PS5 has no Hardware RT.
PS5 is not based on RDNA 2.
PS5 is GitHub leak = 9.2 TFlops.

PS5 has:

- RDNA 2.
- VRS.
- Hardware RT.
- Is not Oberon final.
Give them a couple of hours and they will find a way to legitimise the leak again.

Sony paid AMD to lie etc.etc.
Maybe Oberon is Lockhart which is why it has no RT and a connection with Arden?
Too powerful for lockheart, also I'm pretty sure lockheart will have RT

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So something everyone actually already guessed... 😂 Next up PS5 and XSX are within 1TF from each other

People guessed about it not being the full RDNA 2.0 7nm+, and instead being on standard 7nm...? Before me? I think not sir 💋

But regardless, things are at least being said, and on the day I said they would. So while the info may have been a no brainier, the day they were confirmed wasn’t so much. So that’s good in my book 👍🏻

So that’s not being rdna 7nm+, being a 7nm with the features bolted on for new hardware, and on the exact day I said.

Come on, even if nothing else happens tonight, I’ll take that win, cheers to my contact 👊🏻

edit: also, I mentioned about no delay ever being said to be and people told me it was all on track. Well, that slide clearly says no delay, out this year. But I’ll ignore that one haha.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Would be wild if it was for Lockhart and X1X only, and he knew something.
He's waiting for Benji to tweet about PS5 being RDNA2 before confirming.

He just said they would have Zen3 out by the end of this year...could the next gen consoles have zen3?
I thought they were confirmed to be Zen2?

Edit: Yup, Zen2: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/02/24/what-you-can-expect-next-generation-gaming/

Next Generation Custom Processor:
Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures.

Last edited:

SgtCaffran

I would imagine that the RT hardware is near identical between XsX and PS5. It makes sense for Xbox to use DXR as they're merging Xbox more and more with PC. It also makes sense for Sony to use their own API as they have always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom