• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

I think MS needs to show 2 things

1. Fast loading of XSX and cut the crap, 5 GB in 1 second no excuses

2. Fast streaming of high quality assets

Otherwise XSX will be a beast of last gen rendering and assets and stuff looking like it does on ps4 and xb1 with more resolution and frames and a few shiny bits - and thats about it.

Because, obviously, if it ain't exactly 5GB/s it's just an old spinner in disguise. 4x CPU + 8X GPU + 4x Bandwidth improvements be damned.

giphy.gif

BatSu

I don't think anywhere here actually bothered to read the full details of BC that MS released (more of the same that DF covered, but in more detail)

This is what the dorky tweet was referencing:

Sorry to int erupt the "Talk about Tweets" thread with next-gen info.. you may resume bitching about tweets.

hfByVmk.gif

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I read it, I knew it, and I did ask you if BC worked differently before. Has Xbox BC worked on the basis of downclocking and boosting?

And how did you borrow a game from a friend on PS3/360? Other than the lame "online passes" things... nobody had DRM blocking people from loaning games in the past.

So all Sony was doing was making an obvious reference to the MS DRM.. and not really promoting anything new / better than before.

And the XSX BC is far more advanced/better comparability than the Xbox One BC. So MS is promoting something new/much better than anyone has done before... while obviously making a negative reference to their competition.

I mean why did anyone find the Sony PR video hilarious in the first place? Is advertising a feature of videogames that has existed since the days of Atari funny on it's own? Or were they OBVIOUSLY AND CLEARLY making fun of MIcrosoft?

Come on dude you have to be kidding me lol

It's all fucking lame..... both companies in the past have taken shots at each other.... ignore that shit.. it's the products that matter.. and the XSX BC does in fact sound awesome.

Kinda useless for me personally, but awesome. I only hope Sony comes close.

Hell for all I care Sony could JUST have their 1st party games be BC/boosted.. I'd be perfectly happy with that, because that's all I care about. Not some system war of number comparing... I have actual games I want to play on my PS5 in boosted mode and games that I don't want to play don't matter to me lol.. so unfortunately for Xbox, that's their entire catalog.. because I'd rather play all of their shit on PC.. already have it "boosted" there lol

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Windows Mobile being the most recent. The comments about Google and Amazon being their focus rather than Sony suggests it’s on the horizon depending on how well XSX does.
I’m up front in that I’m more excited about PS5 and will be getting that first, but I’d genuinely hate it if Xbox became xCloud and Windows PCs only a few years from now.
Any PlayStation fan wanting Xbox to crumble is an idiot. I’ll be buying my XSX a little later on, hopefully with Flight Simulator confirmed as XSX Enhanced with it (how could it not be anyway).
Nothing wrong about being more excited about PS5, I'm genuinely looking forward to both and getting both. It will be nice just to play GTS without all those tedious loading screens selecting dealers and cars and also on Xbox even if its twice as long as PS5 it will still be great.
I'm a bit pissed XBox didn't put underside buttons on the controller but maybe Dualsence have them and i'm more interested how good all the features of that are than anything else is now.

Kusarigama

And how did you borrow a game from a friend on PS3/360? Other than the lame "online passes" things... nobody had DRM blocking people from loaning games in the past.

So all Sony was doing was making an obvious reference to the MS DRM.. and not really promoting anything new / better than before.

And the XSX BC is far more advanced/better comparability than the Xbox One BC. So MS is promoting something new/much better than anyone has done before... while obviously making a negative reference to their competition.

I mean why did anyone find the Sony PR video hilarious in the first place? Is advertising a feature of videogames that has existed since the days of Atari funny on it's own? Or were they OBVIOUSLY AND CLEARLY making fun of MIcrosoft?

Come on dude you have to be kidding me lol

It's all fucking lame..... both companies in the past have taken shots at each other.... ignore that shit.. it's the products that matter.. and the XSX BC does in fact sound awesome.

Kinda useless for me personally, but awesome. I only hope Sony comes close.

Hell for all I care Sony could JUST have their 1st party games be BC/boosted.. I'd be perfectly happy with that, because that's all I care about. Not some system war of number comparing... I have actual games I want to play on my PS5 in boosted mode and games that I don't want to play don't matter to me lol.. so unfortunately for Xbox, that's their entire catalog.. because I'd rather play all of their shit on PC.. already have it "boosted" there lol
There were rumors circulating around that Sony was also going to implement drm similar to MS back then and people were asking Sony to officially say what was Sony's stance on the matter for a long time and then to answer that question that everybody were asking Sony did that video demonstration.

BGs

Industry Professional
Maybe based on your personal opinion; Do you think August is too late to 'sell' the Console to the masses? I mean, some of us in here are early adopters. So no matter what, we're jumping on it. But for the mainstream audience, do you think waiting until August to make all the points necessary by Holiday season is good? I mean, if that's what they're doing. Same goes for pre-orders. If we compare last gen, only the release date was one of the last things to know before the release. And that happened at Gamescom in August 2013.

More than a year ago (if I remember correctly) Sony already commented that they wanted to change their ad policy and become more like Apple. I think that given the situation, if the console were to announce it today and say it will be sold tomorrow, people would go out en masse to buy it. I do not think (personal opinion) that a total presentation in August can be a problem for sales. Also I already tell you that that does not mean that they will do it in August, I just say that I have doubts, but even so it is perfectly feasible that they present it all next week, since it was scheduled for February.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say in part 2.
If you want to say something just say it. Nothing wrong with clarity.

Edit: Not sure how the first quote got there

Excuse me, I'll try to be more clear.

That demo, such that it is only possible in PS5 because...

giphy.gif

Under NDA it is impossible for me to be clearer right now. But it is not because of Nanite or Lumen.

I hope the Spoiler joke didn't bother you, it wasn't my intention.

I hope I have been able to clarify your doubts.

For the rest of the explanation you will have to wait about 7 months (or when they decide) for UE5 to be released.

silent head

I don't think anywhere here actually bothered to read the full details of BC that MS released (more of the same that DF covered, but in more detail)

This is what the dorky tweet was referencing:

Sorry to int erupt the "Talk about Tweets" thread with next-gen info.. you may resume bitching about tweets.

"I think the infighting that I feel both on the internet and I'm sure what you see on your message boards, it doesn't feel like an investment in what does it mean for gaming to grow," he told us. "We don't have to see another company fail for us to succeed. It's not part of the math for running a business."

He also talked about the state of gaming in general and about how the survival of console gaming in light of the rise of mobile gaming shows how the games industry is better with more companies involved.

"Five years ago, when I was here, it was all, 'the death of consoles, everybody's going to play on their iPads, why don't you guys go home?'" he said. "Those were the questions. And now... Sony's doing really well, we're doing really well, the Switch has come out of the gate incredibly strong. So that feels good.

"I see a vibrancy in games that are here across all platforms. I watched [the] Sony [press conference] yesterday, I thought Spider-Man looked great... It's a great time to be in this industry, and for people to try to make this industry about fighting with each other, opposed to growing the industry itself, I just don't think is a long-term view on an activity I love, which is playing games."

esxMYJr.gif

IntentionalPun

"I think the infighting that I feel both on the internet and I'm sure what you see on your message boards, it doesn't feel like an investment in what does it mean for gaming to grow," he told us. "We don't have to see another company fail for us to succeed. It's not part of the math for running a business."

He also talked about the state of gaming in general and about how the survival of console gaming in light of the rise of mobile gaming shows how the games industry is better with more companies involved.

"Five years ago, when I was here, it was all, 'the death of consoles, everybody's going to play on their iPads, why don't you guys go home?'" he said. "Those were the questions. And now... Sony's doing really well, we're doing really well, the Switch has come out of the gate incredibly strong. So that feels good.

"I see a vibrancy in games that are here across all platforms. I watched [the] Sony [press conference] yesterday, I thought Spider-Man looked great... It's a great time to be in this industry, and for people to try to make this industry about fighting with each other, opposed to growing the industry itself, I just don't think is a long-term view on an activity I love, which is playing games."

esxMYJr.gif

Yes the Xbox Twitter account is dorky and makes Phil look like a hypocrite...

Can we get back to talking about these consoles?

This shit is off-topic.. as are the endless posts about what Xbox fanboys with 500 followers are saying on Twitter. What is with the obsession this thread has with dorky console war tweets?

That post you just responded to was about a feature of a next-gen console.. have any on topic thoughts or just want to make another giant pointless post about Xbox PR? We literally have like 20 posts whining about the PR and 3 actually discussing the content of the article here..

Last edited:
Excuse me, I'll try to be more clear.

That demo, such that it is only possible in PS5 because...

giphy.gif

Under NDA it is impossible for me to be clearer right now. But it is not because of Nanite or Lumen.

I hope the Spoiler joke didn't bother you, it wasn't my intention.

I hope I have been able to clarify your doubts.

For the rest of the explanation you will have to wait about 7 months (or when they decide) for UE5 to be released.
Are you telling us that there is something about the Sony hardware/software, no public yet, that works in conjunction with UE5 to make it even more tailored?

Last edited:
Are you telling us that there is something about the Sony hardware/sofware, no public yet, that work in conjunction with UE5 to make it even more tailored?

I think it's the other way around. The UE5 Engine is working in a fashion that takes more advantage in the way sony has build the PS5.
Either way, I can't wait to hear more about the exact architectures, every chip, bandwith, api and shit of both consoles.
Also I am really curious how game engines are going to develop from now on, about what is going to be possible due to the new console generation.

Good times ahead.

Thirty7ven

Banned

I don’t know how old you are and how close you followed it back then, but after the DRM fiasco the narrative in the media became that Sony would do the same and that bled into the discussion in forums and social media all over. And Sony’s silence back then was taken as proof that they would do the same.

The video was an answer to a question.

And I do give props to MS on BC, I believe they set the standard. Nothing I have said changes that.

I think it's the other way around. The UE5 Engine is working in a fashion that takes more advantage in the way sony has build the PS5.
Either way, I can't wait to hear more about the exact architectures, every chip, bandwith, api and shit of both consoles.
Also I am really curious how game engines are going to develop from now on, about what is going to be possible due to the new console generation.

Good times ahead.
You could be totally right.

I have read here in this forum that many Xbox studios use UE for making their games.

It has to be very worrying for MS to see how Epic Games works very closely with Sony to develop and shape the new UE5, their main game engine.

Last edited:
Eh does really Microsoft or anyone else other than Sony know if/when/to what extent the PS5 will downclock or boost? Isn't it really, really silly and desperate to ridicule details about a console that is not yet released, based on assumptions and rumors with no real facts or real-life examples? 🤔

At least the "used game thing" really was a thing, back in the days.

IntentionalPun

Eh does really Microsoft or anyone else other than Sony know if/when/to what extent the PS5 will downclock or boost? Isn't it really, really silly and desperate to ridicule details about a console that is not yet released, based on assumptions and rumors with no real facts or real-life examples? 🤔

The tweet is making a reference to Sony's backwards comptabiltiy features.. which are assumed to involve most games running with the PS5 downclocked to PS4 levels., with select games running in boost mode (that require devs to modify code according to Sony.)

In contrast to the XSX BC feature which runs at full XSX speed for all games and is allegedly going to support thousands of games at launch.

TBH though Sony hasn't actually even detailed their BC... so we'll see. But the assumption is that most games in BC on PS4 will run with the GPU/CPU downclocked to either PS4 or PS4 pro levels.

I'm pretty sure Sony can handle this awful "ridicule" lol.. their BC is assumed to largely be accomplished by downclocking.. MS's isn't.. it's a competitor remarking on a feature that's better than the competition. Is that really ridicule? I'd prefer if PR avoided that type of shit.. but man you guys are way overly sensitive here.

Last edited:

They are talking about ps5 BC when it downcloks for BC(native ps4 games )or when it uses native frequency as boost mode .

Take-Two CEO talks next-gen

Take-Two CEO Discusses Next-Generation and The Future; Argues that Cloud Isn’t a Game-Changer

Zelnick mentioned that Take-Two is “very excited” about the new consoles will allow the publisher’s creative teams to do. They’ve been developing with new tech for some time and they’re very familiar with where that can lead.

He believes that over time tech will be so sophisticated that you won’t be able to distinguish between computer-generated entertainment and live-action. He admitted that we’re not there yet, but we’re getting closer, and a point will come when photorealism will be possible.

DaGwaphics

Show dont talk, i have not seen anything go faster on XSX I/O than 1 GB/s so far, have you ?

Show us.

I don't have storage bandwidth meters in my eyes. If Sony has pushed so far beyond the XSX/PC that games can only run that platform , that will certainly be an issue. LOL

As long as XSX/PC get their version, it becomes about the visible differences between gameplay, responsiveness to controls, etc. I'll need to see some demonstrations of software running on both systems to see what I think of the outcomes. I haven't seen any next-gen only gameplay from either side yet. The tech demo for PS5 was perdy but mighty boring, not something that I look at and think I want to play that game. Honestly doesn't seem like there's much to do.

Last edited:

Md Ray

ML is just int 4/8 /16 compute stuff in effect and part of RDNA2 so what is to say about it ?

MS and Sony do not invest in it like Nvidia and so what do you want them to say other than PR and buzzwords ?

Quite frankly the temporal upscaling from 1440 to 4K on the UE5 demo is fine, nobody could see jack shit or count pixels (DF had to be told lol), so who cares about DLSS?
Anyone who's seen performance gains from DLSS 2.0 cares about it. There's pretty massive performance gains to be had from tech like DLSS, and it's something that will suit extremely well for next-gen consoles. MS has talked about ML on XSX, but Sony hasn't (outside of WIRED article), so it was just a curiosity on my part whether Sony has incorporated it in the same way as MS or not.

geordiemp

Anyone who's seen performance gains from DLSS 2.0 cares about it. There's pretty massive performance gains to be had from tech like DLSS, and it's something that will suit extremely well for next-gen consoles. MS has talked about ML on XSX, but Sony hasn't (outside of WIRED article), so it was just a curiosity on my part whether Sony has incorporated it in the same way as MS or not.

We have seen the performance gains from Temporal (UE5) and DLSS, cant tell which is which, which means they work. And therefore its no big deal...go with whatever...

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
U guys are being too harsh hHa . Its not the best but its not that bad. Its pretty common . Plus imo they r doing a better job than sony in BC so why not rub it in a lil haha
In all fairness, considering their lack of launch exclusives and many other factors, it would be dangerous for them not to offer full backwards compatibility. Sony are in a much different position, quiet frankly, BC with PS4 is more than enough for me.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Looks like a complete button plate to be added to the back of the controller? Maybe LEDs that turn on as you press the buttons, meant to be read by the VR camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom