• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
There has been nothing but bad luck since i turned gold, Looking for someone to blame
Who's fault is all this, that's the question?

200.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Out of respect for the people who like and play Minecraft, I will say I am not a good Minecraft player, my mind cannot wrap around it, it's my fault that I don't like Minecraft, no one else's.

It's a great game, but I'd rather watch the grass grow for a while 🤣

Whenever I see a student playing it I pull his phone. If he plays something else I give him a blind eye. Of course talking about breaks and empty classes (another teacher's absence).

Yeah I’m not sure you know Bo lol, he doesn’t care for sales, etc., it’s more than that when it comes to why he hates Minecraft 🤣.

I actually only knew that it's owned by Microsoft recently, thought it was only a mobile game. When I knew that it's owned by Microsoft...

tenor.gif

Degree

Banned
I think Tim has too much part time to keep schooling those clowns.🤡

Which makes Sony’s solution even more useless for multiplatform Games.
For developing multiplatform Games devs always use the lowest common denominator

No way they would optimize their games based on a single platform SSD/IO. This is just nonsense.
For multiplatform Games we will only see improvements in loading times. That’s it.

This is PS3 Cell all Over again.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For developing multiplatform Games devs always use the lowest common denominator

No way they would optimize their games based on a single platform SSD/IO. This is just nonsense.
For multiplatform Games we will only see improvements in loading times. That’s it.

I hope you buy XSX.

“The raw read speed is important, but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them.- PS5 Architect

I’m referring to actual speed, not theoretical specs. PS5 can transfer and decompress textures and geometry from storage directly into video memory without CPU decompression and driver abstraction overhead, which makes the overall perf much higher than PC. -Epic Ceo

Last edited:

ToadMan

Studios won't have to optimise - UE provides the engine, it scales the content to the capability.

Xsex will just get lower fidelity graphics if it can't keep up with the data stream. Don't worry it'll still look "awesome" as it will on Switch...

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

That's BS. Developers had complained extremely about the PS3, it would be "hard to develop" on it. The cell architecture was very complicated and a nightmare for developers. Sony itself said it needs more than 6 months to get used to the PS3 as a developer.

The PS5, on the other hand, is the absolute opposite. New ideas don't always mean they're complicated.

If PS5 sells more than XSX then you will see how the third parties focus in PS5 and downscale for XSX, PC will be okay in some moment and will have the best of all.

If you compare the SSD of PS5 with CELL is clear for me you don't have idea of what are you talking about.

In any moment I expect you make a copy paste of something you read but don't understand.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Cell? You are absolutely ignorant of the PS5’s CPU then and you’re assuming in all sorts of directions without ever taking a route of potential humility in your thinking (you could be wrong?): the way games have been developed up until these consoles launch, will, by nature, be significantly different.

The SSD’s in both platforms guarantee a more focused approach on more creative asset implementation thanks to both their improved I/O engineering. On paper, developing for the PS5 (in particular) will be even easier than developing for the PS4 which is inferior hardware at that.

Even if we go off of info we have, at least according to Tom of Moore’s Law has mentioned that DICE has said that they intend to take full advantage of the PS5’s specs for their game. If that’s true then it destroys your logic instantly, and who knows which (or how many) other developers will follow suit but to assume that no devs will take advantage of each consoles’ unique feature sets is one hell of a gamble given how unique and technically advanced these nextgen consoles will be.

You and so many others keep repeating this “only load times SSD increase” as though the SSD has absolutely no relationship to the I/O within the PS5. The I/O and SSD are joined at the hip so all technical benefits (for the games themselves, asset streaming, etc) are immediate or instant, in real time with both components working simultaneously (more educated folks please correct me if I’m in error, thanks).

I don’t believe there is absolutely no reality in which either console’s engineering is “useless”.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Time stamped

3 GBs dang, 3.8 Gbs screems wow thats amazing

Keep watching they get to > 20 GBs but not using windows file systems. Linux ...who would of thought.

Also look at the response time 0.8 ms, its called latency. And there you have it, when 30 GBs does not mean 30 GBs.

UD5P10W.png

GAF Posters to this day think its about SSD read speed ....sigh.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Time stamped

3 GBs dang, 3.8 Gbs screems wow thats amazing

Keep watching they get to > 20 GBs but not using windows file systems. Linux ...who would of thought.

Also look at the response time, its called latency. And there you have it, when 30 GBs does not mean 30 GBs

UD5P10W.png

UD5P10W.png

UD5P10W.png

Yes, 20GB/s of useless reads. Kraken laughs at this with 22GB/s of data on screen/audio, interactive! and it's not theoretical, it's maximum achievable but not sustainable.

This PS5 gonna make those PC elites in a lot of pain :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Frederic

Banned
Well, it has been fun reading through all the reactions to the canceled event.

wait, is it cancelled or delayed indefinitely?

It's funny that by putting PlayStation there made it Xbox's most liked tweet ever!

its even funnier that it got way more likes than the original playstation tweet that they responded to:

hilarious.

Last edited:

IkarugaDE

I don’t think any of this makes any sense. I just hope we get the ps5 showcase soon. We need some good news as opposed to the crap I switch off from on the news channels.
IMO we'll get a new event one week later. We should also not forget that the postponement had external reasons. So it is enough to just set up a new event a few days later. I guess we won't have to wait 2 weeks.

BGs

Industry Professional
Of course it can't be cheap.

And also the good TV's which will take advantage of the new tech will not be cheap, in the $1,200+ range. So people complaining the consoles will be expensive, they will have another thing coming.
I am sure it will be cheaper than NeoGeo was in its time. Remember when a NeoGeo game cost approximately $ 240 (in Spain)? SuperNES games were not cheap either, some could cost $ 90 (in Spain) in the early 90s. In any case I prefer to pay $ 600 for a console that will last 6 years rather than $ 1000 for a phone that will last me 2 years and I will use it for anything but talking on the phone. Personal opinion.

yewles1

I am sure it will be cheaper than NeoGeo was in its time. Remember when a NeoGeo game cost approximately $ 240 (in Spain)? SuperNES games were not cheap either, some could cost $ 90 (in Spain) in the early 90s. In any case I prefer to pay $ 600 for a console that will last 6 years rather than $ 1000 for a phone that will last me 2 years and I will use it for anything but talking on the phone. Personal opinion.
I believe Neo Geo games went as high as $360 a cart in the U.S. at the time, plus there were MORE expensive consoles, like the $700 3DO and the $970 STARTING PRICE of the Pioneer LaserActive. BTW, does anyone else consider the possibility of game prices going up next gen by AT LEAST $10?

zaitsu

Banned

Sony and Epic were working together for years to make PS5/UE5 happen. I think it will be pretty easy to use PS5 in multiplatforms ;) I was afraid after "road to PS5". I understood back then that PS5 will be better than XSX, but i was afraid only firstparty developers could prove it. But right now im worried much less.

xacto

Absolutely agree with you. I would pay the price Sony asks, hands down not because I am fanatic, but because I know there will be good money for that value. I have seen what they have to offer all these years, and I am all right with it.

And speaking of phones, yes, the price is rather steep, but again my former Xperia Z1 I bought back in October 2013, and it kept running until last year in August when I switched it with an Xperia XZ3. That Z1 cost me over 800 euros, but I got my more than fair usage out of it. Why? Because good money for the value.

Sony delivers, as an electronics company it really does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom