• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodkrake

Banned

Interesting article. Seems like a similar method to what we know about the PS5: New filesystem / way to access files where the dedicated pool is the game install (akin to virtual RAM) that allows for the elimination of bottlenecks.

I did want to point this out:

Through the massive increase in I/O throughput, hardware accelerated decompression, DirectStorage, and the significant increases in efficiency provided by Sampler Feedback Streaming, the Xbox Velocity Architecture enables the Xbox Series X to deliver effective performance well beyond the raw hardware specs, providing direct, instant, low level access to more than 100GB of game data stored on the SSD just in time for when the game requires it. These innovations will unlock new gameplay experiences and a level of depth and immersion unlike anything you have previously experienced in gaming.

Let's watch as now, suddenly, as fast IO can in fact enable new gameplay options not present in games developed for SSD's.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Interview with IGN

They didn't interview him, they are just quoting this post on xbox.com:

Keep in mind metacritic has not been kind to many PS5 exclusives this gen. Most recently Days Gone was review bombed for the most insane reasons despite being a great fucking game. DS was very harshly reviewed too. detroit is at 78. the last guardian is at 82. I dont know what these critics are smoking because they are all high 80s and 90s games.

It looks very janky my man. You can compare it to god of war if you like. For a game that looks that good, the animations looking like that just makes it look off.

the game could still be fun to play though. Sucker Punch hasnt let me down, and i dont see Sony releasing a poor game, but critics are much more harsh than i am. see above.
All the games you mentioned deserve the scores they got. They are all good games, but they are not outstanding and don't deserve the same score as GOW, TLOU2, Spiderman.....

Birdo

Banned
Their announcements usually come at 8:00 PM PST, so they are already half an hour late.

giphy.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
They say a million triangles occupies the same amount as a 4k Texture. Wish they just come out and address this so we can move on from the concern.

ToadMan

Interesting, I forgot about that. Does it have a dynamic resolution and unlocked frame rate on PS4 then so it's ready for PS5's extra oomph?

Well we don't know yet for sure...

I guess the dev kit has the PS5 build "switch" - it's probably up to the devs to decide what res they want to run it at and what FPS they'll lock it at.

Going beyond that, changing the render effects - that could be interesting if they do that with GOT. Watching a couple of the reviews - ACG in particular - talking about how big the game is, the extent of the draw distance - It almost seems designed for PS5 to throw it around at higher res and FPS without any extra effort on the part of the devs.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

There's a video with an interview on that page

jose4gg

So Xbox is aiming to 40x the speed of the XONE, while PS5 is aiming 100x...

ToadMan

Ya'll really don't understand what "native" means on PS5 and have the whole BC thing totally wrong IMO.

Sony is requiring games released after July to be BC on PS5; and PS5 BC runs at PS5 frequencies, always, in BC modes IMO.

Not correct I'm afraid. Sony require games to be compatible with PS5 hardware after July 11.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

"Further documentation sheds light on what "compatibility" means. A game will be deemed compatible with PlayStation 5 only if its submission code runs without issues on Sony's next-gen machine, and provides the same features on PS5 as it does on PS4."

BC is about running in some emulated mode - new games for PS4 from now on won't need any emulation, they'll be compatible.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Not correct I'm afraid. Sony require games to be compatible with PS5 hardware after July 11.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

"Further documentation sheds light on what "compatibility" means. A game will be deemed compatible with PlayStation 5 only if its submission code runs without issues on Sony's next-gen machine, and provides the same features on PS5 as it does on PS4."

BC is about running in some for emulated mode - new games for PS4 from now on won't need any emulation, they'll be compatible.
Had this argument 100 times here.

I disagree with how people are interpreting BC info for PS5. That's for submitting a PS4 game.. the PS4 VERSION of that game has to be compmat with PS5. That's not "native"... as that same code runs on PS4.

We'll see.

You actually think Sony, like 2 months ago said, "Oh BTW to release a game you've been developing for PS4 the last few years past July you need to make a native PS5 version too, k thnx"? Nah.. they are just requiring devs to test for BC.. because all BC on PS5 requires testing due to the clock speeds.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Don't forget to check out the video the marketing division of Xbox created, I know most of you people love their work

Fantastic video, is that new as of today.
Did Sony release a new game today or something.

If i had a suspicious mind, nvm its just me.

Last edited:

Darius87

deep dive into velocity architecture at each component but still no explanation on instant 100GB at everything else PS5 equals or exceeds xsex.

PS5 decompressor more then x2 better then xsex.
BCpack == Oodie textures.
new storage API basically I/O management system not even hw related PS5 has hw level management system.
Sampler feedback streaming(SFS) not needed for PS5 as is capable for streaming textures with no LODs.
i don't think ms have much more explaining to do on it's velocity architecture except give exact numbers on 100GB instant statement.

DaGwaphics

Let's watch as now, suddenly, as fast IO can in fact enable new gameplay options not present in games developed for SSD's.

Did anyone ever argue to the contrary? It seems to me the discussion was about how it was X level of improvement or nothing, where anything less wasn't viewed as an improvement at all.

Hoping they get to work on Windows, NVMe needs a lot of help there to show real benefits.

Dodkrake

Banned
Did anyone ever argue to the contrary? It seems to me the discussion was about how it was X level of improvement or nothing, where anything less wasn't viewed as an improvement at all.

Hoping they get to work on Windows, NVMe needs a lot of help there to show real benefits.

Yes, a lot of people argued that a game developed for the XBONE or a PC HDD and ported to the XBSX constitutes a next gen experience because SSD speed doesn't matter for design. That and that the SSD will only be used for lowering load times.

Neo Blaster

I didn't see anything new here besides more marketing PR words. The same two hardware components (SSD and hardware decompression block) and two software components (DirectStorage API and SFS), explained just like before.

I'm assuming SFS must be handled by GPU, does not seem to exist fixed function silicon for that. Really curious how it goes against all that custom silicon on PS5 I/O solution.

Last edited:

geordiemp

LOL wut?

That's saying the STREAMING POOL for the demo is 768MB.

Meaning they used upwards of (TOTAL RAM - 768MB) to render what is seen on screen at any given moment. For one single "view" that's probably 12GB of RAM, with compression some amount under that on disk.

The demo was likely MASSIVE.

The tech will certainly be used, but it's going to be extremely difficult to truly push the limits of the PS5 I/O often. As pushing those limits for detail require a lot of disk space.

No it was not massive, EPIC said it can compress more, so less half a gig on disk for that cave, mountain, inside the tomb and outside flying bit etc. you dont think a game cant be madewith 200 x what was shown ? And they used 8K asssets, go to 4K and you have 4 x more room.

Of course games can be made, otherwise EPIC would not be presenting this.

Also you dont get streaming, its about streaming whats needed in the time needed, forget the 9 Gbs on spec sheets. The time to display for Nanite frame was 4.25 ms on ps5, the rest was Lumen.

ToadMan

Had this argument 100 times here.

I disagree with how people are interpreting BC info for PS5. That's for submitting a PS4 game.. the PS4 VERSION of that game has to be compmat with PS5. That's not "native"... as that same code runs on PS4.

We'll see.

You actually think Sony, like 2 months ago said, "Oh BTW to release a game you've been developing for PS4 the last few years past July you need to make a native PS5 version too, k thnx"? Nah.. they are just requiring devs to test for BC.. because all BC on PS5 requires testing due to the clock speeds.

Yep that's exactly what they said and I provided the quote where they said it.

The build libraries don't fundamentally change in a jump from one console release to another - they've been evolving for years and each change to the dev environment is incorporated into a build. What Sony are asking for is that games delivered from now use PS5 compliant API interfaces and run on the hardware without bugs or instability. That means don't use API calls that are identified as PS4 only or from older version of the dev kits.

This happens all the time in multiplat development environments, it's not a major burden on games being built now.

If however I took a game built against APIs from 7 years ago around the time of the PS4 launch - those games may not build against the latest dev kit versions because interfaces have changed, types have changed, libraries or calls have been deprecated and so on.

To ease the effort of getting those games running on PS5, Sony will provide an emulated environment - that's BC. The compromise is that those games won't be able to take advantage of the newer hardware to the same extent as something like GOT could.

Last edited:

ToadMan

deep dive into velocity architecture at each component but still no explanation on instant 100GB at everything else PS5 equals or exceeds xsex.

Actually the text version I just read does explain that 100Gb. It's not an extra feature - it's MS just saying that the XVA as a whole makes data "instantly" available and there's 100Gb of it - a limitation on app size effectively.

There's no extra memory mapper or special function associated with that 100Gb that makes it "instant". It's just the net effect of the XVA - SSD, DirectStorage, SFS and Compression.

IntentionalPun

Yep that's exactly what they said and I provided the quote where they said it.

No you didn't. You provided a quote of them saying to submit a PS4 game for certification, it has to be compatible with PS5.

A PS4 game.. meaning code that compiles for the PS4... using the PS4 instruction set... that the PS5's BC modes support.

The build libraries don't fundamentally change in a jump from one console release to another - they've been evolving for years and each change to the dev environment is incorporated into a build. What Sony are asking for is that games delivered from now use PS5 compliant API interfaces and runs on the hardware without bugs or instability. That means don't use API calls that are identified as PS4 only or from older version of the dev kits.

No, you are assuming that's what they are asking.. you are also assuming the bold. In fact the bold is just outright wrong for the vast majority of evolving APIs/platforms.

Breaking changes aren't uncommon at all for new versions of APIs/software/hardware. Moving between major versions, more often than not, they happen.

Last edited:

K.N.W.

Hello guys, lately I think I've read something like "Tempest engine is composed of 4 CUs", and if I'm not mistaken it was on this forum. I went back to check the "Road to PS5" video, and Cerny clearly says it's "a (single) modified compute unit".
I've been caught in the trolling process, or did we have an update on how tempest is made? Probably it was just one of those shitty rumors/ insider knowledge episodes :messenger_persevering:

Darius87

Actually the text version I just read does explain that 100Gb. It's not an extra feature - it's MS just saying that the XVA as a whole makes data "instantly" available and there's 100Gb of it - a limitation on app size effectively.

There's no extra memory mapper or special function associated with that 100Gb that makes it "instant". It's just the net effect of the XVA - SSD, DirectStorage, SFS and Compression.
so at what speeds assets could be streamed from 100GB? instant doesn't explain anything. we know PS5 could do it at 5.5GB/s raw and 9GB/s compressed or more. that explains everything.

They say a million triangles occupies the same amount as a 4k Texture. Wish they just come out and address this so we can move on from the concern.

4K normal maps. It seems like we’ve reached a point where faking details In textures with normals will no longer be as efficient as rendering details with polygons, especially with mesh/primitive shaders in next gen hardware.

I’m curious to see how that affects install sizes when reused assets, texture compression, etc are taken into account.

ToadMan

No you didn't. You provided a quote of them saying to submit a PS4 game for certification, it has to be compatible with PS5.

Well if your definition of "compatibility" is what this will come down to - it's no surprise you've argued and lost a 100 times now lol

I don't know what else to say to you man - that's how Dev environments are these days for not just for PS5 but for Xbox, iOS, android and more or less every other modern device.

It's rare these days for an API change to break currently in development code - OS and engine developers are careful to deprecate for a good few iterations first. Either way - this change won't have come from Sony at the end of June - the libraries will have been changing over several releases - it's an evolution, not a revolution.

Either way - building a game now that is compatible with PS5 OS and Hardware without the need for further abstraction or emulation, is "compatible" by any normal definition of the word.

GOT is a PS5 game - it doesn't require all the features of the PS5 hardware, neither will a lot of PS5 games in future, but they're PS5 games none the less.

Entroyp

There are quite a lot of words describing VA and I still don’t know what makes it special beyond the HW decompressor.

oh shit!!!

I am not buying that until they show this kind of detail in a game with controllable chars in a normal game running on next-gen hardware.

I highly doubt we will see this kind of detail in models and animation on normal gameplay as in running around killing stuff and so on. Maybe its going to be possible for in-engine cutscenes where everything is deterministic / prescripted and only rendered in-time.

Last edited:

ToadMan

so at what speeds assets could be streamed from 100GB? instant doesn't explain anything. we know PS5 could do it at 5.5GB/s raw and 9GB/s compressed or more. that explains everything.

Yeah you're right - I just think the use of the word "instant" is a throw away line to invoke the idea of speed from this XVA stuff.

There was a feeling that this was referring to some specific additional capability outside the announced XVA bits - memory mapping or loading direct into the GPU or whatever. This text seems to kill any of those ideas.

IntentionalPun

It's rare these days for an API change to break currently in development code - OS and engine developers are careful to deprecate for a good few iterations first. Either way - this change won't have come from Sony at the end of June - the libraries will have been changing over several releases - it's an evolution, not a revolution.

What are you even talking about here?

No one is talking about APIs evolving over the course of development or "releases."

We are talking about the PS4 APIs vs the PS5 APIs.

Breaking changes between major versions are to be expected.. it's what the "major version" implies by most API naming conventions. That's certainly how Microsoft does it. If you have some code that uses v 2.0 of an API and you want to move to v 3.0, expect some of that code to not compile. Happens between minor versions sometimes too (v 2.0 to 2.1.)

I code for a living.. do you? (honestly curious)

Either way - building a game now that is compatible with PS5 OS and Hardware without the need for further abstraction or emulation, is "compatible" by any normal definition of the word.

Right... via the PS5 BC modes, which support the PS4 instruction sets. Which Cerny made pretty clear requires testing. AKA there is no "boost mode" ... PS4 games in BC run with boosted frequencies, which can cause some issues for some games... hence Sony requiring that testing be done for games past July 2020.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Thats not 12,5 gb/s. it will only benefit the amount of "data/storage/bandwith/ram" that would be used by textures anyways.
Yes, but that means that normally textures are being loaded and only 1/3rd is being used (according to Microsoft). So if you wouldn't have SFS you could load 4.8GB/s of compressed assets (in this case textures) and only 1.6GB (1/3) would be used by the GPU. While now the full 4.8GB will be used. Or on average 2.5x as much as we would normally be able to load in.

In easier terms. An old system not supporting SFS would actually need an SSD with 12GB/s compressed read speeds to load in the same amount of textures as the XSX with SFS and an SSD with 4.8GB/s compressed read speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom