• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
The key word was "fans", I see a lot of BS from both Sony and MS fans, to be sure. I don't hold MS or Sony accountable for fan reactions. MS's official statements have been PR heavy, but I don't see anything that could construed as lies. Just a difference in viewpoint, I guess.

Even the 25TF thing appears reasonably measured when you look at RT performance when 100% software based vs. with hardware acceleration.

When my girlfriend asks me, do you think these jeans look big on me, i bend the truth a bit.
This, i find acceptable. You have a good day.

XO_o

dragons-dogma-min-864x1080.jpg

pawel86ck

Banned
Microsoft knows that their followers can be easily manipulated, now a new cycle of FUD is on.

Just don't mind that 11sec loading screen of State of Decay 2 on XSX.
That's BC game not optimized to use VA features (different compression metchod, therefore XSX HW decompression chip is not working here). State of decay 2 loads equally as "fast" on PC with slow 500MB/s SSD and it's proof this game is not using VA features. Game loads faster compared to Xbox One X with standard HDD, but that's it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Oodle showed up and ruined the party for the BCPack hype. SFS and magic multipliers to the rescue!
Why can't they both just be cool technologies that some devs might find useful?

Y'all are so about this war lol

Also, isn't Oodle a third party tool that will be available on Xbox?

Neo Blaster

Can anyone answer my question? It's been bothering me and i can't seem to find the right answer.

Question: TLOU2 and GOT are easily ps5 lauch titles. A lot of people gonna buy ps5 with those games just to play these 2 games.

Why Sony didn't push these 2 games for ps5, since their lauch time are also very close to PS5's lauch?

They will sell lots of PS5 with these games and nobody would complain. The visual quality also top notch and all they need is a little squeeze in pixels and FRAMERATES with fast loading times.
I understand this is good for consumers like us who has ps4 and didn't wanna upgrade to ps5 just for these 2 games, but hey even if Sony push for ps5 lauch games, i wouldn't complain. At least for me and i believe many others IMO.
Because they still have a strong selling current system to care about, unlike MS that wants to end this generation as fast as possible.

DrDamn

To answer some of your questions, Microsoft said:

The x2.5 applies to the complete memory usage due to this change to textures. SFS only applies to textures and makes sure only the 1/3 that is needed is loaded, which results in a total of x2.5 more bandwidth that can be used because it's not only textures that need to be loaded. Simplified but take this as an example:

Memory bandwidth of 100:
* textures uses 90
* other stuff 10

Due to SFS it now is:
* textures uses: 30
* other stuff 10

Only 40 is being used, so we have x2.5 as much memory that is now free to use. You might be wondering, but why the 90-10 split? 2 reasons, first of all most bandwidth is being used by textures, secondly, the math works perfectly like this so I'm pretty sure Microsoft used the same distribution to get to these numbers.

Ok thanks. So it won't speed up quick resume or how quickly it can fill the memory of the XSX more how well it can stream data in for immediate use and effectively reduces how much memory the machines need in the first place. This links back to people saying 16GB for both XSX and PS5 is fine.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's BC game not optimized to use VA features (different compression, therefore XSX HW deconpression chip is not working here). State of decay 2 loads equally the same on PC with slow 500MB/s SSD and it's proof this game is not using VA features.

Who said that PC architecture is great? Both are pretty much in the spitting range of SATA3 SSD's 500MB/s. You can stay in this idea as much as you like, but don't act like you got shocked when you see actual performance of XSX being extremely underwhelming compared to their exaggerated numbers. If they can do better numbers, and we're speaking of Microsoft here, they will do, but they have nothing to show.

Last edited:

raul3d

That's BC game not optimized to use VA features (different compression metchod, therefore XSX HW decompression chip is not working here). State of decay 2 loads equally as "fast" on PC with slow 500MB/s SSD and it's proof this game is not using VA features. Game loads faster compared to Xbox One X with standard HDD, but that's it.
I said that already before: As a software developer, I do not believe the statement that suspend/resume is not optimized for the SSD/VA. Suspend/Resume is an OS functionality and the XSX's OS for sure is optimized for it's SSD (if it is not, that would be increadible dump). The game itself is not optimized for the SSD or VA because it is running in BC mode, but it is not taking over until the resume is fully done (the games memory is completely read and dumped into memory). This is another situation where I believe Microsoft's marketing is intentionally misleading.

FranXico

Why can't they both just be cool technologies that some devs might find useful?

Y'all are so about this war lol

Also, isn't Oodle a third party tool that will be available on Xbox?
Yep. I know. But it still made the other compression method less "special", which triggered some people.
And SFS is cool indeed, I appreciate the nice things in both devices.

But there's insufferable people who are REALLY invested into the war and physically unable to think, let alone say anything good about the box that isn't branded as an Xbox.

You already see the usual religious fanatics (assuming they're not on payroll) starting propaganda threads to spread the word that the Xbox is an achievement of efficient design versus the garbage the PS5 is. At least the SSD threads tried to be positive to try to promote the advantages to SSDs.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

But there's insufferable people who are REALLY invested into the war and physically unable to think, let alone say anything good about the box that isn't branded as an Xbox.

So respond to them on Twitter? Or XVA? Or wherever you guys are finding this drek?

You guys literally take Xbox fanboy content from OUTSIDE THIS WEBSITE and post it here... and then discuss it.

Why is this relevant to NeoGAF? Half the time it's some person from twitter with like 100 followers lol

And I like how you guys never say a word about insanely biased Sony fanboys here. Maybe just STFU about fanboys in general and address the content of posts.

Last edited:

FranXico

So respond to them on Twitter? Or XVA? Or wherever you guys are finding this drek?

You guys literally take Xbox fanboy content from OUTSIDE THIS WEBSITE and post it here... and then discuss it.

Why is this relevant to NeoGAF? Half the time it's some person from twitter with like 100 followers lol

And I like how you guys never say a word about insanely biased Sony fanboys here. Maybe just STFU about fanboys in general and address the content of posts.
I am talking about insane drivel from this website, not twatter. I've reported Sony nutters too.

IntentionalPun

I am talking about insane drivel from this website, not twatter. I've reported Sony nutters too.
The post that started the convo you guys are having is someone taking a screenshot from outside of NeoGAF and posting it here under the premise of "Look at what these Xbox fanboys are saying."

Which is literally a good chunk of the convos in this thread. It's way more interesting when we are actually talking amongst ourselves (even if it is fanboys) than rubber-necking at comments from outside the site IMO.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Yep. I know. But it still made the other compression method less "special", which triggered some people.
And SFS is cool indeed, I appreciate the nice things in both devices.

You already see the usual religious fanatics (assuming they're not on payroll) starting propaganda threads to spread the word that the Xbox is an achievement of efficient design versus the garbage the PS5 is. At least the SSD threads tried to be positive to try to promote the advantages to SSDs.
From what the developers of oodle have posted on twitter...

oodle traditionally supports both consoles hardware for decompression .. kracken for ps5 ..zlib for xbox

The latest oodle version needs GPU to decode and uses up to 10% GPU.

maybe those ..Xbox “wasted CU” might come in handy after all...

its great ps5 has licensed oodle for all their developers but according to oodles own tweets theres no specific hardware advantage to ps5 ( other than the raw SSD speed).

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Lol so much ssd talk. Especially on the day hellblade 2 was confirmed to be real-time. Xbox fans don't know when to take a W. Your game looks a gen apart. Who cares if your ssd is slower. It's not even like Sony is using this ssd as some kind of secret sauce. None of these games looked as good as hellblade 2 despite having 2.5x more i/o speeds.

I really hope ms blows us away come July 23rd with some truly next gen games and puts the pressure back on Sony. Sony was at its best during the ps3 era when they had something to prove. If hellblade 2 quality visuals are what we can expect from MS, that's great news for everyone.
There's a big difference between being real-time on PC and on XSX, I wouldn't jump so fast on that one.

IntentionalPun

I'm hopeful Sony being bullish on production means a low price but I think that's quite the assumption.

If they can get this thing to $399 without it being a major loss leader, that'll be the engineering marvel of the century.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

JTdFJfn.jpg

Enjoy the reality check.
This is a Microsoft Engine Architect saying your wrong.

Now if you want to claim Microsoft is lying I can get with that. But please stop acting like I'm the one misunderstanding what they are claiming

For texture data
It's the raw throughput (2.4) * Effective modifier due to compression (2) * Effective modifier due to SFS(2.5) = 12 (
Atleast according to the guy working on it

unknown.png
Ah, because multipliers are so much better than actual numbers, so deceptive...

Thirty7ven

Banned
From what the developers of oodle have posted on twitter...

oodle traditionally supports both consoles hardware for decompression .. kracken for ps5 ..zlib for xbox

The latest oodle version needs GPU to decode and uses up to 10% GPU.

maybe those ..Xbox “wasted CU” might come in handy after all...

its great ps5 has licensed oodle for all their developers but according to oodles own tweets theres no specific hardware advantage to ps5 ( other than the raw SSD speed).

Are you sure?

And another bit that might be of interest:

"And of course, it all works incredibly with the PS5's built-in hardware Kraken decoder. "

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Who said that PC architecture is great? Both are pretty much in the spitting range of SATA3 SSD's 500MB/s. You can stay in this idea as much as you like, but don't act like you got shocked when you see actual performance of XSX being extremely underwhelming compared to their exaggerated numbers. If they can do better numbers, and we're speaking of Microsoft here, they will do, but they have nothing to show.
Currently PC and XSX I/O architecture arnt the same (even Dirt5 developer has said XSX I/O is not comparable to current PC), however in the future velocity architecture (VA) components will be ported on PC as well.

I'm not shocked BC game loads equally slow on PC and XSX, because such game is not build to use VA components, therefore XSX has to decompress everthing in software like standard PC. PS5 decompression chip works with zlib decompression as well (PS4 games were using it), so maybe PS4 BC games on PS5 will load with much better speed, but we will see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So 90% of game data is textures and all of them compress to max possible and are always only needed 1/3 of each in the screen at any given time?
No texture is ever needed entirely?
Seems... Unlikely.
90% of your memory's bandwidth is being used by textures, of that 90% that you get to your GPU only 1/3 is actually used. That's it. SFS makes sure that you would only use 30% of your memory's bandwidth to get those textures that are needed, so the other 60% can be used for whatever you want (probably more textures and models).

Last edited by a moderator:

zaitsu

Banned
Currently PC and XSX I/O architecture arnt the same (even Dirt5 developer has said XSX I/O is not comparable to current PC), however in the future velocity architecture (VA) components will be ported on PC as well.

I'm not shocked BC game loads equally slow on PC and XSX, because such game is not build to use VA components, therefore XSX has to decompress everthing in software like standard PC. PS5 decompression chip works with zlib decompression as well (PS4 games were using it), so maybe PS4 BC games on PS5 will load with much better speed, but we will see.
"Build to use VA" - they dont even use RAW speed xD thats pretty crap software fault if you ask me.

IntentionalPun

I'm setting myself up for a $500 cost per console (buying the disk version of PS5.)

I think that's high enough to where at worst my expectations will be met, but I'm obviously hoping they are exceeded lol

Neo Blaster

I think we're going to see a $399 launch price.

I can also see the digital version being under $399 too.

You don't expect a system selling for $499 or more to exceed another that sold at $399, unless they are considering quite an inflation rate or extreme confidence that people will buy their product no matter what, and we are not even including the post-pandemic economic crysis here.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
With the Diskless being 299$ or 349$?

That seems a bit too low to me especially if the Lockhart is rumored to be priced at 299$.

Just some fun speculation.

It would be very bad for the Lockhart to be priced the same at the PS5 DE. It needs to be cheaper than that system.
It's going to be cheaper, otherwise what's even the point of the Xbox Series S

Sinthor

Gold Member
399 and 499 confirmed. Maybe even lower, but for sure not more

If that ends up being true, it would be truly shocking. Just as shocking if MS prices the XSX the same! I mean seriously...with even just what we've seen about these boxes to date, I would assume they were going to be at least $499, and that's with some loss on the hardware. If they can pull this off at $399 (and then the digital only PS5 and 'Lockhart' obviously would be even LESS) that will be no less than stunning. To me anyway.

I'm just waiting for more info and detail PERIOD though. There's still an awful lot we don't know about these systems! Come on!

Sinthor

Gold Member
It's going to be cheaper, otherwise what's even the point of the Xbox Series S

I agree. I mean really, let's say the XSX and PS5 are $399. So the PS5 diskless would have to be at least a little less...let's say $350. If Lockhart then is $299.....I don't see how it does very well. Maybe I'm off, but I wouldn't think a $50 price drop for a much less capable bit of hardware would take off in the market.

Now......$199?? THAT I think would have a lot of potential to move a lot of units. I still think this would cannibalize XSX sales to some extent but again I don't think MS cares about that so much. They are looking at ALL the Xbox hardware, including XB1, etc. as the "platform" and as long as they increase how many users they have of the platform, THAT is where they are looking to make the money. At least that's all I can see as I look at all of this information. We will see!

DrDamn

90% of your memory's bandwidth is being used by textures, of that 90% that you get to your GPU only 1/3 is actually used. That's it. SFS makes sure that you would only use 30% of your memory's bandwidth to get those textures that are needed, so the other 60% can be used for whatever you want (probably more textures and models).

(*) When streaming data in. Plus from the Jason Ronald interview this isn't something that is automatically exploited. Developers have to design and work to use it, and learn to use it effectively to get that increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom