• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZehDon

Gold Member

Taken from https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

3-4 years of PS4 support? Hopefully larger AAA titles aren't included with that.
Holy cow - what is happening? Are we in the upside-down? If GOWR is cross-gen...

husomc

havent you heard 1000s times in here that cross gen game means that game will be held back and it is not truly next gen? Or is it only applicable to xbox titles? I always confuse this.
It'll not apply for xbox titles once they showcase something like spiderman miles morales how sony showed it today instead of a mess like Halo Infinite. Sony showed us how cross gen can be done the right way.

Okay so today we got:
- PS5 prices
- Pre orders
- Launch line up
- Spider-Man, Sackboy and Horizon are cross gen games that will upgrade for free to PS5 if you own the PS5 version
- PS Plus collection added to current benefits without extra cost
- Jim Ryan confirms PS4 support for 3 more years and clarifies their commitment to the hardware despite their plans to release some select games on PC
- Wifi, Bluetooth and USB ports details
- Next gen games price increase
- Demon's Souls might be our first look at what a next gen only game can look like

I'm still disappointed by the cross gen Horizon but I think this was a pretty good day and it really excites me to see how GoW or the next ND game will look like.

gojira96

So Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West were made for the PS5 but were ported down to PS4? Are they separate versions like there used to be in the PS2/PS3 transition?

I'm kinda lost lmao

Honestly, I won't get a new console anytime soon, but expected these specific titles to be 100% next-gen

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Companies change their mind sometimes. Leaders always look like idiots when this happens because they enthusiastically support all decisions, they then sometimes go back on these.

News at 11; stop making such a big deal out of these CEO / leader dudes... they are mouth pieces.

[you might think my avatar is ironic, hopefully you understand in what way]

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
So Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West were made for the PS5 but were ported down to PS4? Are they separate versions like there used to be in the PS2/PS3 transition?

I'm kinda lost lmao

Honestly, I won't get a new console anytime soon, but expected these specific titles to be 100% next-gen
They are ported up. Better graphics, FX, but at the end of the day, they are last gen games, with last gen constraints around world design and logic.

zaitsu

Banned
Okay so today we got:
- PS5 prices
- Pre orders
- Launch line up
- Spider-Man, Sackboy and Horizon are cross gen games that will upgrade for free to PS5 if you own the PS5 version
- PS Plus collection added to current benefits without extra cost
- Jim Ryan confirms PS4 support for 3 more years and clarifies their commitment to the hardware despite their plans to release some select games on PC
- Wifi, Bluetooth and USB ports details
- Next gen games price increase
- Demon's Souls might be our first look at what a next gen only game can look like

I'm still disappointed by the cross gen Horizon but I think this was a pretty good day and it really excites me to see how GoW or the next ND game will look like.
Gr8 summary

No other options?
I'm thinking i'm going to wait a bit.

I have camera gear coming soon and planning to attend some workshops as well. Also I'm thinking i want to avoid the first week rush for the consoles. Might pick one up late in November, early December.

I'm in no hurry at all.

ouch, should’ve ordered first then ask later:messenger_winking_tongue:
Didn't know EB Games would do the trade-in with PS5 like they doing with Series X. But good to know now they offer the same trade-in service.
Lord knows I am fed up with my PS4 Pro. Its got good games but how many times i shut off the console out of fear for the console going supersonic and obliterating my TV unit.
It's a piece of shit and happy to see it go.

Last edited:

DrivingproNZ

Neo Member
Got approval from the missus to get a PS5. Wanted the fat one but it looks like EB Games NZ got rekt.
Pre-sold out.

Still a few places in NZ taking pre-orders:

The Warehouse still yet to put up their pre-order page so keep an eye out for that.

Emmy

Neo Member
It appears that these games were designed for PS4 from the very start. They will look and run better on PS5 and will use DualSense's new features, but nothing more than that.

HAL-01

I'm kinda lost lmao

It'll be interesting to see what they cut down for horizon as the trailer showcased a number of effects that aren't possible on PS4. The direct comparisons will be great to see

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not liking HZD and MM being a current gen game. They do not look like shit like Halo Infinite does, because they're not developed by incompetent morons, but they are most definitely held back...

You guys been looking at the empty half of the cup. If those are cross-gen and they are the best looking in the gaming industry so far.

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

50350109341_5250ef1ea5_k.jpg

Imagine what PS5-only would look like? I mean they're 100% held back, no doubt about it, but this is cross-gen done right. This is Miles Morales on PS4 Pro, not bad, but quite the jump:

spider-man_ps4_miles.jpg

And HZD

Aloy.full.2180020.jpg

We'll see the PS4 version that will make it clear. Personally, this makes me excited about TLOU2/GOT upgrades!

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I stand by what i said the other day.

Xbox social media love to engage in console wars whereas Sony is going about their business to promote their platform.

Goes to show either Phil is full of shit or he doesn't care and is full of shit anyways. That tweet is a bad look for Xbox.

And jim "money hat" Ryan taking shots at Microsoft for cross generation is any better lol. All of them do it even the leader of Sony. We believe in generations was an empty cheap shot at Microsoft. As was expierces only on the PS5 another cross generation shot. I think mr money hat earned some crow today.

IntentionalPun

Exactly. It muddies the waters and makes PC gamers even more entrenched.

For some; those people "even more entrenched" are now at least maybe buying some Sony games. Maybe even on a store Sony now owns part of (Epic.) If they were previously entrenched in PC? Money to Sony? 0$

For a small few they might skip PS5 in general; but that person probably wasn't buying much on PS5 other than first party games anyways.. they don't make much or any money on basic hardware. They can sell PS5 controllers theoretically to PC gamers more too.

And then some small percentage will get a PS5 because they are impatient for a sequel to a game they tried on PC. They might even get more into console gaming; at worst they become one of the people who previously wasn't a big ecosystem user but does make Sony money. At best they start buying more games on a digital store Sony gets a 30% cut off

What isn't going to happen a lot of? Someone fully switching from console to PC. If someone is playing a bunch of 3rd party games on a console they are far less likely to just cut and run to PC. They are on console because they want to be on console having this $1000+ thing that also requires a desk/monitor or dealing with HTPC setups is not on option.

As long as releases are staggered and particularly if they are unpredictable this isn't causing some PS5 exodus lol

Last edited:

gojira96

It appears that these games were designed for PS4 from the very start. They will look and run better on PS5 and will use DualSense's new features, but nothing more than that.
They are ported up. Better graphics, FX, but at the end of the day, they are last gen games, with last gen constraints around world design and logic.

That's exactly what I feared... While I understand that, from a business perspective, they can't "give up" 110 million consumers from this gen, they design important titles around 2012 hardware...
Won't say I'm disappointed - as I said, I can't buy it anytime soon to be - but it's a bummer...

HFW and SM:MM were the titles I was most excited to play.

Come to think of it, PS5 is least of my worries come November.

How the fuck am i going to get my PS4 games on my PS5. What SSD's or hard drives are compatible with PS5 that will be out in a month or two?

IntentionalPun

You guys been looking at the empty half of the cup. If those are corss-gen and they are the best looking in the gaming industry so far.

49995809658_9e3764c4b3_o.png

50350109341_5250ef1ea5_k.jpg

Imagine what PS5-only would look like? I mean it's 100% held back, no doubt about it, but this is cross-gen done right. This is Miles Morales on PS4 Pro, not bad, but quite the jump:

spider-man_ps4_miles.jpg

And HZD

Aloy.full.2180020.jpg

We'll see the PS4 version that will make it clear. Personally, this makes me excited about TLOU2/GOT upgrades!
Some gorgeous stuff.

What is always impressive and it seems almost across the board for Sony their characters portray emotion really well.

Dodkrake

Banned
That's exactly what I feared... While I understand that, from a business perspective, they can't "give up" 110 million consumers from this gen, they design important titles around 2012 hardware...
Won't say I'm disappointed - as I said, I can't buy it anytime soon to be - but it's a bummer...

HFW and SM:MM were the titles I was most excited to play.

Same for me, to be fair. I was expecting a full next gen experience. I'll still buy them, that's ok, but it's underwhelming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom