• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerlurk

Banned
If you care about the quality of games, you had better hope Sony continues to dominate the gaming landscape. The Game Pass model removes the consumer from the equation. With the current model we have the option of not purchasing a game if it isn’t polished, buggy, or doesn’t provide the content we desire. In Microsoft’s model we move to a “you get what you get model”. There might be a large variety of games, but the goal is to produce content not quality content. Look at their latest example: Halo. In the current model consumer pushback is forcing Microsoft to go back and fix the broken mess. Fast forward 10 years and we’re in an all subscription model, you can bet your ass that it’s releasing in its current form on the scheduled date. Yes, there will be competition within the subscription model, but content providers will be focused on quantity not quality. The days of games being delayed 6 months to get that last 10 percent of polish will be over. It’s not a gaming world I’m excited about.

Excellent analysis. Now I understand why Netflix produces so much crap. The psychology makes sense. You're never owning the product, and Netflix knows this, and they just want to have a huge catalog, even though it's such garbage.

There no incentive to take time to hire quality writers, directors, and actors.

Netflix produced 371 new TV shows and movies in 2019. What a joke.

Here is the saddest thing, you have so many Xbox fans arguing that Game Pass is such a good deal (Such great value!). They never mention particular games, but mention the number of games you're getting for the price.

You think those advocates are bad now, they will be far worse as time goes on, simply because the number of games on Game Pass will increase greatly over time.

This reminds me of the shovelware they used to include on disks for gaming magazines. Lots of questionable value.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Excellent analysis. Now I understand why Netflix produces so much crap. The psychology makes sense. You're never owning the product, and Netflix knows this, and they just want to have a huge catalog, even though it's such garbage.

You mean like Martin Scorcese? lol The Irishman was nominated for like 10 Oscars and was a Netflix movie.

Netflix is making a bunch of blockbusters right now. Along with buying up any crap they can to fill the catalog.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
You mean like Martin Scorcese? lol The Irishman was nominated for like 10 Oscars and was a Netflix movie.

Netflix is making a bunch of blockbusters right now. Along with buying up any crap they can to fill the catalog.

edit: changing my response, to keep more within the topic at hand.

Game Pass has a potential to cater to a Netflix mindset, which I believe to be detrimental to gaming in the long run, and it will put pressure on Sony/Nintendo to come out with similar services.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

How much is the cheapest rechargeable battery and how long will it last? It’s an extra cost regardless.

A charger and a 4 pack of 2000ma NiMHs will set you back $10-$15, and you can use them over and over and over again. Not great for flashlights, those will always be dim with these.

pasterpl

Sethbacca

For every blockbuster there are 99 garbage shows that nobody watches. I mean, I love me some Netflix but it's definitely not the best place for original content. Most of its value comes from established movies and shows.

IntentionalPun

You think any organization that produces 371 new TV shows and movies in one year cannot have a few gems in there?

I never said it was all crap.
You said there was "no incentive to take time to hire quality writers, directors, and actors."... but Netflix is in fact doing that... and has for years actually. You think Stranger Things didn't take talent?

And they didn't produce 371 of anything in any year... they mostly buy content that has already been in production... they call it "co-producing".. aka they are mostly just money-hatting stuff. They then have original projects, many of which are highly acclaimed.. like Stranger Things, Orange is the new Black, etc.

It's just not even that great of an analogy as Netflix doesn't own 23 film and television studios either.. and gaming just isn't remotely the same in any way. Netflix comparisons are tired, but they are especially tired when you can't even describe Netflix correctly.

The Irishman was also considered a huge flop costing $100m+ to make and generating only $8m in revenue, and there wasn’t a noticeable bump in subs post-release.

It’s also taken Netflix a long time and 10X+ the number of monthly subs while operating in the red due to how they license and produce content.

Game Pass is a great deal and will likely be a huge success for MS. There’s also a good chance it will quickly become Xbox’s only source of revenue. Those $100m+ AAA dev costs will need to come from somewhere or else we’ll be seeing A and AA games with the occasional AAA game.

Not the same scenario, though. It was a Netflix produced movie basically because they were the only ones giving him the money he needed for the de-aging technology used in the film, which made the production pretty costly.

His next movie is being produced by Apple if I remember correctly mainly for the same reason too, because he needs a big budget and they are the ones willing to give him the money he wants, the usual movie studios refuse to make an investment that big on a movie that, let's face it, it's probably not going to be a great commercial success. In terms of box office numbers, Scorsese is not Nolan, sadly.

What I'm saying with this is that the working relantionship was never intended to be long term nor they had any type of contract regarding future content being made or coming out on Netflix, so, not the same scenario than acquiring studios for an amount of money that they need to recoup in the long term.

chilichote

lol what a surprise. MS the savior. Fucking English media man, morons to the end.

I don't see it as if Microsoft were the savior, rather as if Zenimax no longer believe in AAAs and took the opportunity to get as much money as possible before things went downhill.

And yes, gamepass and similar subscriptions will change the game market forever. And not for the better.

Well then I'll go back to the beginning of the great video game era and buy myself an Amiga 500. So many games I've never played!

DaGwaphics

Here is the saddest thing, you have so many Xbox fans arguing that Game Pass is such a good deal (Such great value!). They never mention particular games, but mention the number of games you getting for the price.

You think those advocates are bad now, they will be far worse as time goes on, simply because the number of games on Game Pass will increase greatly over time.

This reminds me of the shovelware they used to include on disks for gaming magazines. Lots of questionable value.

I guess a lot of people have never used Netflix, LOL. They produce quality, big budget content, award winning content even. They also green light a lot of content that would never be created on traditional broadcast TV, some of that is good as well (certainly plenty of not so good too). This notion that Netflix (or GP) doesn't need to worry about quality is silly. If Netflix had no content that was valued by viewers, they would have no subscribers. End of discussion, full stop.

The Netflix model opens the door for a lot of niche content along with the more mainstream offerings, obviously a lot of those programs aren't going to be for everybody.

VargasPaPuM

If you care about the quality of games, you had better hope Sony continues to dominate the gaming landscape. The Game Pass model removes the consumer from the equation. With the current model we have the option of not purchasing a game if it isn’t polished, buggy, or doesn’t provide the content we desire. In Microsoft’s model we move to a “you get what you get model”. There might be a large variety of games, but the goal is to produce content not quality content. Look at their latest example: Halo. In the current model consumer pushback is forcing Microsoft to go back and fix the broken mess. Fast forward 10 years and we’re in an all subscription model, you can bet your ass that it’s releasing in its current form on the scheduled date. Yes, there will be competition within the subscription model, but content providers will be focused on quantity not quality. The days of games being delayed 6 months to get that last 10 percent of polish will be over. It’s not a gaming world I’m excited about.
Does netflix is anti customer?

IntentionalPun

The Irishman was also considered a huge flop costing $100m+ to make and generating only $8m in revenue, and there wasn’t a noticeable bump in subs post-release.

It’s also taken Netflix a long time and 10X+ the number of monthly subs while operating in the red due to how they license and produce content.

Game Pass is a great deal and will likely be a huge success for MS. There’s also a good chance it will quickly become Xbox’s only source of revenue. Those $100m+ AAA dev costs will need to come from somewhere or else we’ll be seeing A and AA games with the occasional AAA game.

It's a growth based business model that Netflix has and Gamepass is doing the same thing.

Netflix is still getting tons of investor money because people believe in the model.

I personally don't think MS will see anywhere the same amount of success as I think their financials partly depend on the idea of growing well beyond current console userbases with xCloud.. but in the end the comparisons aren't that great anyways. Stuff like MTX, the fact games still sell outside of Gamepass for $60, etc. make the markets so different than what Netflix does with TV/movies anyways.

It's all experimental at this point... the price, the content, etc.. with a bunch of number crunchers behind the scenes at MS with some target for subs that makes sense to them financially. Who knows what that target is.. my guess is they will never hit it, but they can also raise prices...so we'll see.

Either way they are producing content in a huge range of sizes like any game publisher.. AAA, AA, etc.. because the model isn't designed to only support cheap shit. Either is Netflix's.

Kerlurk

Banned
You said there was "no incentive to take time to hire quality writers, directors, and actors."... but Netflix is in fact doing that... and has for years actually. You think Stranger Things didn't take talent?

And they didn't produce 371 of anything in any year... they mostly buy content that has already been in production... they call it "co-producing".. aka they are mostly just money-hatting stuff. They then have original projects, many of which are highly acclaimed.. like Stranger Things, Orange is the new Black, etc.

It's just not even that great of an analogy as Netflix doesn't own 23 film and television studios either.. and gaming just isn't remotely the same in any way. Netflix comparisons are tired, but they are especially tired when you can't even describe Netflix correctly.

Game Pass has a potential to cater to a Netflix mindset, which I believe to be detrimental to gaming in the long run, and it will put pressure on Sony/Nintendo to come out with similar services.

Last edited:

jose4gg

I don't see it as if Microsoft were the savior, rather as if Zenimax no longer believe in AAAs and took the opportunity to get as much money as possible before things went downhill.

And yes, gamepass and similar subscriptions will change the game market forever. And not for the better.

Well then I'll go back to the beginning of the great video game era and buy myself an Amiga 500. So many games I've never played!

Sony is doing well with exclusives AAA, no microtransactions, no nothing except for pay online.

If the future is lower quality games for a subscription model...

I'm doing well buying a PS5.

INC

lol what a surprise. MS the savior. Fucking English media man, morons to the end.

Games are becoming more expensive, more of a risk for share holders, so makes sense, unless u get a surprise hit like fall guys or something, gambling on a 100m game like anthem, to be a flop, this bad business from a share holders PoV

Well imo anyway, which don't mean shit

IntentionalPun

Not the same scenario, though.
Sure; for the most part nothing about the Netflix comparison's makes any sense... which is one of my points.

It's a totally different market with hugely different factors... costs.. ways of profiting. The only thing that's similar is the recurring revenue model. Recurring revenue models do not exist to only serve up cheap content is my only point. Whether it's mostly money-hatting things like Netflix does or owning 23 studios + moneyhatting like Microsoft does.. they definitely need a lot of content, there's no denying that there's a drive to put out a lot of stuff.. but they also have the drive to produce high quality / high priced content. It's both.

Kerlurk

Banned
I guess a lot of people have never used Netflix, LOL.

Game Pass has a potential to cater to a Netflix mindset, which I believe to be detrimental to gaming in the long run, as it will put pressure on Sony/Nintendo to come out with similar services.

Last edited:
It's a growth based business model that Netflix has and Gamepass is doing the same thing.

Netflix is still getting tons of investor money because people believe in the model.

I personally don't think MS will see anywhere the same amount of success as I think their financials partly depend on the idea of growing well beyond current console userbases with xCloud.. but in the end the comparisons aren't that great anyways. Stuff like MTX, the fact games still sell outside of Gamepass for $60, etc. make the markets so different than what Netflix does with TV/movies anyways.

It's all experimental at this point... the price, the content, etc.. with a bunch of number crunchers behind the scenes at MS with some target for subs that makes sense to them financially. Who knows what that target is.. my guess is they will never hit it, but they can also raise prices...so we'll see.

Either way they are producing content in a huge range of sizes like any game publisher.. AAA, AA, etc.. because the model isn't designed to only support cheap shit. Either is Netflix's.

I agree but I don't think it's sustainable as-is. While games are still listed for $60 and Gold memberships (for now) are still $5/mo, that revenue is being taken over by Game Pass and MS is "robbing peter to pay paul". Like you said, MTX and GAAS will still be a thing, but I don't see that supporting the business in the long-run.

I fully expect GP subs to be $20/mo within 2-3 years much like the bait and switch by Hulu and Youtube TV jacking prices up almost 100% within a few years.

I could be 100% wrong, but it will be at 3-5 years before we have an idea of how this will shake out.

chilichote

Sony is doing well with exclusives AAA, no microtransactions, no nothing except for pay online.

If the future is lower quality games for a subscription model...

I'm doing well buying a PS5.

Yes, Sony does it very, very well, but if something like Gamepass catches on, soon nobody will want to pay for full-price titles anymore. I would, but the question is whether Sony will still offer any ...

I hope Sony finds its niche and continues to produce great games. Same for Nintendo.

Last edited:
I'm truly shocked the XsX is still available for pre-order.

I'm not. I said it wouldn't sell out multiple times:

The hysteria these preorders are causing is something to behold. I don't expect XSX/XSS to even sell out.

Incredible. Sony will dominate this holiday period easily. I do not expect Xboxes to sell out.

This is good of them to do. A lot of people missed out on PS5 preorders because Sony decided to drop it out of the blue but I'll say this and I'm not joking. I don't think XSX/XSS collectively will sell out and if they do, it won't be fast. I'm sure all the people who want one will get one.

I was accused of concern trolling.

Ptarmiganx2

While there are many similarities, the TV/Movie market is much larger. HBO Max, Apple TV+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and all of the individual networks are competing which forces each content provider to have premium level flagship content to separate themselves from the pack. The quality of Netflix’s top content improved as stronger competition emerged. The issue with the games industry is the “talent pool” is more limited. We can’t pull a little known actor from the street and turn him into a star. There are only so many qualified developers. The big teams like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, etc. need lots of them! If we get into a subscription model war and the amount of content becomes king, the days of huge production value large teams is over.

jose4gg

Yes, Sony does it very, very well, but if something like Gamepass catches on, soon nobody will want to pay for full-price titles anymore. I would, but the question is whether Sony will still offer any ...

I hope Sony finds its niche and continues to produce great games with Nintendo.

I will pay $70 for a Naughty Dog game no matter if Microsoft is giving the games for free, I'm paying for quality, which Microsoft can have obviously, but if the numbers go wrong and MS needs to cut the budget for games, because what sells game pass is "300 games for 15" or "exclusives every3 months for free", then no thanks, happily paying for my 40Hours game with top-notch graphics, gameplay, animation, and story.

Strictly made for my hardware and all its capabilities. There is a reason why MMO on mobile look currently better than the majority of MMO for PC, every time you tried to cover all gamers, including the ones without the right hardware because you need the subscription, something, something, goes wrong.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Here is the saddest thing, you have so many Xbox fans arguing that Game Pass is such a good deal (Such great value!). They never mention particular games, but mention the number of games you're getting for the price.

Probably about 50 of those shows and movies on Netflix were quality. That is a low percentage.

DaGwaphics

Subscribed for 5 years before cancelling. I know all about it. So don't assume, cause you know what that makes you.

Someone not dumb enough to subscribe to a service they derive no value from for 5 years? 🤷‍♂️

Netflix develops a lot of critically acclaimed content, the fact you didn't like any of it is your personal taste. They do have a lot of low budget content as well. And while a lot of people laugh at many of these, every time there is a cancellation you will see a ruckus with some group online. Because the content you laughed at was someone else's favorite new show, in some demo that you didn't fit into.

IntentionalPun

I agree but I don't think it's sustainable as-is. While games are still listed for $60 and Gold memberships (for now) are still $5/mo, that revenue is being taken over by Game Pass and MS is "robbing peter to pay paul". Like you said, MTX and GAAS will still be a thing, but I don't see that supporting the business in the long-run.

I fully expect GP subs to be $20/mo within 2-3 years much like the bait and switch by Hulu and Youtube TV jacking prices up almost 100% within a few years.

I could be 100% wrong, but it will be at 3-5 years before we have an idea of how this will shake out.

I don't disagree.. I just don't understand the drama behind all of it.

Microsoft is producing many games at the same scale as they were before GamePass existed... I'm not seeing the evidence that GamePass is making MS force devs to produce shovelware. People actually used HALO as an example in this thread? lol.. that game reportedly has a massive scale and budget.. it's just that 343i kinda sucks.

So to me it's just an optional service.. if the price becomes higher than it's worth to me, I'll cancel.. and then buy the games I feel like playing like I used to from MS.

Last edited:

jose4gg

I don't disagree.. I just don't understand the drama behind all of it.

Microsoft is producing many games at the same scale as they were before GamePass existed... I'm not seeing the evidence that GamePass is making MS force devs to produce shovelware.

So to me it's just an optional service.. if the price becomes higher than it's worth to me, I'll cancel.. and then buy the games I feel like playing like I used to from MS.

Halo Infinite is a 10-year game, they are putting more money into it, but they are not trying to make a new Halo with world-class graphics in another 5 years... This is your first evidence of the Gamepass strategy.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Yep. It all just becomes about how many games you have and they care less and less about if they're good. Look at all the filler crap that gets put on netflix. I hope if Sony ever does a gamepass model they will do it like a theater then home release model but longer. Like 6-12 months after release THEN you get them on Now. Give them time to get those initial sales. I wouldn't sub but if people want the option and don't have FOMO

Kerlurk

Banned
Someone not dumb enough to subscribe to a service they derive no value from for 5 years? 🤷‍♂️

Never said no value. Obviously there was value there in watching shows, not produced by Netflix.

More on topic: Game Pass has a potential to cater to a Netflix mindset, which I believe to be detrimental to gaming in the long run, and it will put pressure on Sony/Nintendo to come out with similar services.

Last edited:

chilichote

I will pay $70 for a Naughty Dog game no matter if Microsoft is giving the games for free, I'm paying for quality, which Microsoft can have obviously, but if the numbers go wrong and MS needs to cut the budget for games, because what sells game pass is "300 games for 15" or "exclusives every3 months for free", then no thanks, happily paying for my 40Hours game with top-notch graphics, gameplay, animation, and story.

Strictly made for my hardware and all its capabilities. There is a reason why MMO on mobile look currently better than the majority of MMO for PC, every time you tried to cover all gamers, including the ones with the right hardware because you need the subscription, something, something, goes wrong.
Don't take me too seriously, I'm a bit pessimistic at the moment^^

I just find it pretty frightening what Microsoft is up to and is willing to push through very aggressively.

And since people tend to hear Justin Bieber rather than Rage against the Machine ...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I hope Sony finds its niche and continues to produce great games. Same for Nintendo.

So will this stop Nintendo gamers from buying new 1st party games on the Switch too?

xacto

Subscribed for 5 years before cancelling. I know all about it. So don't assume, cause you know what that makes you.

And yes, I was watching British murder mysteries and the reason for the long time subscription.

The Mandalorian was great on Disney. Sign up for one month, watch it, then unsubscribe. Will do the same for Season 2.

That's my approach to subscription based services now.

If you cannot find anything good to watch on Netflix, you might as well stop subscribing to anything at all. Or you should learn to search better. Or maybe stop being disingenuous. At this point you're already trying too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom