• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is much fanboy bickering, and that’s to be expected. Regardless I’m pretty psyched with the recent insights into specs. Seems that both Sony and MS are pushing for powerful consoles above all else. A win for all gamers IMO.

I agree, PS5 and Xsex are a far greater win then current gen. You cannot go wrong with either. I skipped out on PS4 and Ps4pro because it didnt have ultra-4k Blu-ray player, that's why I got xbox one x, and I thought most multi-platform games would look best on xbox one x. Its not a bad system, it lacks exclusives of PS4.

The disparities of current gen in performance and game content is going to be gone, and will come full circle with the new gen, I will enjoy all ps4 content (and perhaps ps3, ps2, ps1) on my ps5. Both consoles will have the minimum:

HDMI 2.1 Freesync Variable Refresh Rate
Ultra Blu-Ray 4K Drive
Fast SSD drive
Wifi6 up to 10Gbps
4k 60hz (minimum) games
Backwards compatible with previous gen and possibly enhanced.
New immersive way of playing (haptic feedback from dualshock 5 for ps5)
Ray Traycing.

2020 is going to be fucking fantastic.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree, PS5 and Xsex are a far greater win then current gen. You cannot go wrong with either. I skipped out on PS4 and Ps4pro because it didnt have ultra-4k Blu-ray player, that's why I got xbox one x, and I thought most multi-platform games would look best on xbox one x. Its not a bad system, it lacks exclusives of PS4.

The disparities of current gen in performance and game content is going to be gone, and will come full circle with the new gen, I will enjoy all ps4 content (and perhaps ps3, ps2, ps1) on my ps5. Both consoles will have the minimum:

HDMI 2.1 Freesync Variable Refresh Rate
Ultra Blu-Ray 4K Drive
Fast SSD drive
Wifi6 up to 10Gbps
4k 60hz (minimum) games
Backwards compatible with previous gen and possibly enhanced.
New immersive way of playing (haptic feedback from dualshock 5 for ps5)
Ray Traycing.

2020 is going to be fucking fantastic.
That's the great thing about new gen. Assuming the specs hold.... 12TF, lots of ram, SSD drives etc..... it's a big boost in specs vs. the XBox One /PS4 specs where people were already saying these are half shitty with laptop cpus and the standard 5400rpm hdd.

There must have been something odd at that time of tech (2010-2013) when Sony and MS were designing systems that lead to half hearted systems while 2020 seems like a big jump.

SmokSmog

Hope you guys understand i had to be so freaking carefull about my source. Youre gonna understand everything Very very soon. Stay tuned for some crazy shit happening in both sony and ms reveal events.

Source about what ? Nothing ?

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
That's the great thing about new gen. Assuming the specs hold.... 12TF, lots of ram, SSD drives etc..... it's a big boost in specs vs. the XBox One /PS4 specs where people were already saying these are half shitty with laptop cpus and the standard 5400rpm hdd.

There must have been something odd at that time of tech (2010-2013) when Sony and MS were designing systems that lead to half hearted systems while 2020 seems like a big jump.
PS4 and Xbone have shitty CPUs because that is all AMD had at the time.

How will SSD virtual RAM bandwidth help with games? It is rumored to be around 2GB/sec to 4GB/sec range. For comparison, the previous consoles had the following RAM bandwidth (correct me if I am wrong):

PS2: 3.2GB/sec
Original Xbox: 6.4GB/sec
Nintendo Gamecube: 1.6GB/sec
Sega Dreamcast: 800mb/sec

If the SSD bandwidth is close to the RAM bandwidth of PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Original Xbox, how will this help game developers, and offset any limitations in graphics?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Ok, here's what I got.

MS and Sony will release the final specs in 2020. Both will be beasts. Fan boys from both camps will claim victory due to each having an edge in one category or another.

The End

If you think that'll be the end of it you'll be disappointed.

Anyway are there any other so called Insiders being vetted?

SmokSmog

How will SSD virtual RAM bandwidth help with games? It is rumored to be around 2GB/sec to 4GB/sec range. For comparison, the previous consoles had the following RAM bandwidth (correct me if I am wrong):

PS2: 3.2GB/sec
Original Xbox: 6.4GB/sec
Nintendo Gamecube: 1.6GB/sec
Sega Dreamcast: 800mb/sec

If the SSD bandwidth is close to the RAM bandwidth of PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Original Xbox, how will this help game developers, and offset any limitations in graphics?
ps4 8GB ram HDD 50MB/s -----> 160 seconds
PS5 24GB ram NVMe 5GB/S -----> 5 seconds

Ok, here's what I got.

MS and Sony will release the final specs in 2020. Both will be beasts. Fan boys from both camps will claim victory due to each having an edge in one category or another.

The End

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Ok, here's what I got.

The End

giphy.gif

smoksmog, isn't that for game loading? What about for actual graphics or game assets during gameplay? So far the virtual SSD RAM is great for open world type gameplay for mostly loading environments. Can it be used for other graphic stuff besides environments and open world? (sorry im a noob who is trying to understand)

SmokSmog

smoksmog, isn't that for game loading? What about for actual graphics or game assets during gameplay? So far the virtual SSD RAM is great for open world type gameplay for mostly loading environments. Can it be used for other graphic stuff besides environments and open world? (sorry im a noob who is trying to understand)
You can fast load and unload assets with NVMe ssd adding upon that decent amount of ram and you can have open world game with hight quality assets.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

I'm just glad I voted ~12TF.
The real question is: Is it Navi equivalent of 12TF GCN or is it actually 12 Navi TF?
Because if it's 12TF of Navi then it's way pass 12TF of GCN.
Edit: Because XBox One X is 6TF GCN and if it's 2x XBox One X then its comparing to GCN. Then it's below 12TF but equivalent.

See, here's the problem with that. If Series X really is just a two times Xbox One X GCN equivalent and PS5 is a less than 10% slither over the Series X, then the PS5 also falls below 12TFs.

quest

Not Banned from OT

AMD did not have much and a not so great economy. Those devices were made on the cheap compared to every other generation. Better economy AMD has much better technology. These are step back in time when consoles packed a punch. A win for a gamers yes we will pay a 100 dollar premium but well worth it for the firepower these 2 are packing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These SSDs improving load times will feel like magic for open world games. So hopefully no more staring at a goblin or statue when playing sections in Elder Scrolls 6.

I can live with the buggy and outdated Gamebryo engine, but those loading screens are death.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AMD did not have much and a not so great economy. Those devices were made on the cheap compared to every other generation. Better economy AMD has much better technology. These are step back in time when consoles packed a punch. A win for a gamers yes we will pay a 100 dollar premium but well worth it for the firepower these 2 are packing.
I hope so. I have no problem paying an extra $100..... more like $150 in Canada.

And by the sounds of the specs, it doesn't sound like it will hit $400 price points like old gen.

Just a matter if gamers will accept the price, or wait it out for 3 years for it to come down to the traditional $400 price everyone seems to like.

Kdad

I hope so. I have no problem paying an extra $100..... more like $150 in Canada.

And by the sounds of the specs, it doesn't sound like it will hit $400 price points like old gen.

Just a matter if gamers will accept the price, or wait it out for 3 years for it to come down to the traditional $400 price everyone seems to like.

$659.99 plus I think hst/gst back then in my province was 14%? so yeah...nothing is really going to scare me off this time either lol.

Nickolaidas

I am really anxious to see if the backwards compatible games of both consoles will take advantage of those ssd speeds, or if the ssds will mimic hdd behavior in said games.

Will be such a waste if it's the latter.

4gb/s is too slow to be used as warm storage. A software magic like virtual ram will not help that.

Now if you have 25.6gb/s of low latency warm storage like ReRAM SSD that is directly accessible by the APU/GPU (similar to AMD SSG) then the persistent storage can be used like a RAM. Devs can uncompress insane details to the ultra-fast SSD allowing the assets and textures to stream directly to the GPU. What you see on your screen is on the main ram while the assets and textures on your left and right and back are on the ultra-fast SSD. If you turn left or right, the GPU will read directly from the warm storage.

This is what a game dev from B3D told me thru PM.

Persistent storage should be a true revolution in content generation. I think it can completely change how games are made (level design, world building).
I see less potential at runtime for now, as long as games have to be somewhat smaller than 200 GB.

He explained to me how it can be used to show insane details in game but he said the problem will be content creation and games ballooning in size.

Assuming magic compression exists, CPU could uncompress insane details to ReRam so it is available quickly, e.g. when player turns view.
Then my initial Megatexture argument would make more sense again, if we make some assumptions:
* decompression very expensive, so need to cache full environment around player, not just what's currently on screen. 10 x more data.
* Sub millimeter texture resolutions everywhere. 100x100 more data?

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am really anxious to see if the backwards compatible games of both consoles will take advantage of those ssd speeds, or if the ssds will mimic hdd behavior in said games.

Will be such a waste if it's the latter.

In terms of loading we already saw Spiderman take advantage of tht when they showed it on PS5. They also talked about it positive affects on loading things in open world games.

That's why I want ReRAM to happen. It sounds very dreamy and opens a door to a lot of potential, let alone its usage to machine learning and A.I.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) applications are being developed for the enterprise and consumer markets at an exponential rate, but few developers are aware that persistent memory can play a critical role in optimising access to large data sets.

AI and ML technologies create highly demanding IO (input and output) and computational performance for GPU accelerated Extract, Transform, Load (ETL). The key challenge developers must overcome is to reduce the overall time to discovery and insight within data-intensive applications. Varying IO and computational performance is driven by bandwidth and latency. Therefore, the high-performance data analytics needed by AI and ML applications can be addressed by persistent memory solutions that offer the highest bandwidth and lowest latency*.*

Now if Sony will have a "cold storage" of 4gb/s but MS will have one with 2gb/s but MS will have 3DXpoint Optane with 25gb/s of warm storage. That Sony SSD advantage in cold storage will not mean anything.

Last edited:

onQ123

That's why I want ReRAM to happen. It sounds very dreamy and opens a door to a lot of potential, let alone its usage to machine learning and A.I.

Now if Sony will have a "cold storage" of 4gb/s but MS will have one with 2gb/s but MS will have 3DXpoint Optane with 25gb/s of warm storage. That Sony SSD advantage in cold storage will not mean anything.

Nickolaidas

In terms of loading we already saw Spiderman take advantage of tht when they showed it on PS5. They also talked about it positive affects on loading things in open world games.
But that's the thing: Was that an example of backwards compatibility, or just a case of ported ps4 assets loading with ps5 speeds, a for-demo-purposes-only ps5 version of spider-man 1, if you will?

Thorrgal

Tell me what he said.

Is this a joke post? You said he wasn't an insider because thanks to your PC electronic" knowledge you knew what he said wasn't possible...and you don't even know?? Gtfo here...

Meanwhile he got verified YET AGAIN, and the members of the Green Team are losing their minds over there....no more tea drinking, I guess?

i really have trouble believing the 16GB rumor for Xbox monolith. if it's indeed 12TF than that would be really stretching it bandwidth wise on that 256 bit bus. even if it was 18 Gbps memory modules that would be unsufficient even on a dedicated GPU. navi 10 is already bandwidth hampered as you can see in many pc games when you look at the performance scaling at 4K. in an console APU you would lose some effective bandwidth for feeding the CPU.

so that can mean two things.

one: the 16GB figures are plain wrong and we get something between 16,5 and 24 with a wider bus.

two (hopefully not): the "doubled GPU power of x1x" does not mean 12TF but some sort of architecture adjusted guestimate.

Last edited:

FranXico

But that's the thing: Was that an example of backwards compatibility, or just a case of ported ps4 assets loading with ps5 speeds, a for-demo-purposes-only ps5 version of spider-man 1, if you will?
I think Cerny mentioned it was patched for demonstration purposes. But it doesn't mean that load times won't always be much faster.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I think Cerny mentioned it was patched for demonstration purposes. But it doesn't mean that load times won't always be much faster.

Went over the articles didn't see any mention of patched just tht it was playing side by side on a pro and a dev kit ps5 to show the differences in loading time.

ZywyPL

Banned
Jesus Christ. What the fuck has been happening. Both here and Resetera. We know nothing about anything. Just some vague ball-park figures. People need to chill and be patient. You don't win anything by predicting which box is more powerful than the other.

It's Xbots vs Playslaves all over again, just like with every new generation launch. My ignore list gets bigger by dozens of nicks every single day, and the number of dumb, unnecessary threads created each day is also disgusting. Back in the day it took quite a time and effort to register on Neogaf, but now you can do it in less a minute, and you can clearly tell the school season is over.

Both consoles will EASILY do 4K60, that's what we all always wanted, right? Well, apparently, nobody cares anymore, it's all about the numbers, like it's CoD:BO or some shit (THE NUMBERS! THE NUMBERS PHIL, TELL US THE NUMBERS!!). Spencer said it's gonna be twice as powerful, deal with it, that means the devs will be able tu double the resolution, double the framerate, or double the details, or, what will most likely take place - a mix of the three. If it's gonna be more capable then even better. But noooo - is it 9TF? Is it 12? Is it GCN or RDNA TFlops? RDNA1 or RDNA2? Calm you tits kids, we will eventually get all the specs of the consoles, prior or after their release, no need to post another 100+ pages with essentially nothing but your wet dreams/"speculations" out of your asses.

But I have to say, it's really funny to see the PS fans in panic mode because some rumors suggest PS5 will be a little less powerful, and like yesterday they were so full of themselves because of how Sony "won" and "dominated" the generation etc. Mark my words - PS5 will do just fine. It will also do 4K60 with ease, and studios like ND, GG, SMS etc. will do wonders even if it's just 8TF.

But no, there is this thread where a kid MANDATES from Sony to release more powerful console, now who the hell is this random to demand anything from Sony? Or the other guys saying both consoles HAVE to have more than 16GB RAM, or else they won't last, now what if they won't, what he's gonna do about it, sue them? LMFAO. Those kind of posts/threads surely can give a man a good laugh, but it's got out of control and the forum is flood with basically nothing else, it's so damn hard to actually find some useful information and have a sensible conversation nowadays.

CES2020 is in literally just two weeks, and it will be a really good indicator/insight of what will be powering the new consoles, and even Spencer will be there to talk about XBX, so again, just calm down and wait. And if you can't then I don't know, go outside take some fresh air instead of mindlessly smashing the keyboard, get a life or something.

Ar¢tos

Please no, this is my safe space and where I'm accepted for who i really am.
There are no safe spaces left for me.
I haven't slept since the VGA.
I identify myself as a Series X and now MS took it from me. I feel violated.
I haven't felt this bad since Sony announced the original PlayStation. PlayStation Suqadiq was my drag name back then.
:messenger_anxious:

MS has something to prove, they took a lot of shit for being so much weaker than ps4 so they really need to compensate and I give them credit for it. This was their attitude going into this gen, their arrogance knew no boundries.

Power is the last problem for MS but the 1st they wanted to change with S. Still, the few1st party games to get greenlight were bad or not that great, the deluxe pad was shit, devs did not care with X (resolution over stability and gameplay), indies are not on board, windows 10 is not bringing incredible options over PS4 but is slowing the experience and takes hours to upgrade, they have no VR, Europe (over than UK) and Japan are not on MS maps... but the compatibilty program saved them. At least, they seems to focus on games with Xbox... congratulations for a hadware compagny in gaming to focuss on games (games you can take from a friend), it's 2019 baby!

Do you know anything about software? Is Sony currently looking to acquire anymore studios? Thanks!
I Don't have access to this kind of information but i feel like Sony will announce the acquision of one of this studios alongside the release of the PS5
  • Bluepoint Games
  • Supermassive Games
  • Remedy Intertainement
  • Kojima Productions
  • Homesquare

Tulipanzo

Thing with Klee on Era is that his info is very tame.
His most inflammatory statement is that PS5 is slightly ahead of SeX, something whose importance he repeatedly underplayed.

This sent some people into a frenzy (plenty of bans rn), because while they claim neutrality, they can't fathom their box being slightly behind on one specific metric.

Still, not half as bad as what Reiner got for sharing the same info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom