• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's new FEMFX physics-based CPU library offers lifelike object deformation and destruction

thelastword

Banned
Much like NPC AI, physics-based games haven’t really progressed much beyond Half-Life 2’s box stacking in the intervening 15 years, truth be told, but more realistic physics could be back on the table if AMD’s new open source FEMFX technology is adopted.

FEM (Finite Element Method) is designed to utilise all of the available cores and threads in a multi-core processor, finding a genuine gaming use for the number of cores which can often be found on CPUs these days.

Available to download right now, FEMFX is a multithreaded CPU library which houses all sorts of information on deformable materials and how they should behave when stressed. This includes things like wood splintering when shot, rubber tyres compressing when bouncing, metal cars crushing on impact, or plastic deforming and even snapping if enough pressure is applied.

Don't just take my word for it, though, you can see it all in action in the GIFs below. This includes the bending and breaking of wood, crushing of metal, melting objects and elastic deformation.

The one obvious hole in the software is the lack of liquid physics but, aside from that, this CPU library clearly shows realistic on-the-fly material deformation with immense potential for physics-based gameplay solutions on top of the inherent realism.

For game developers looking to take advantage of this tech, the FEMFX library can be downloaded here while there’s also an Unreal Engine 4 plugin version available here.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/28...s-lifelike-object-deformation-and-destruction

Breaking Wood

6g3k0rF.gif

mv0lnTV.gif

Denting Metal

hi55YaS.gif

Elastic Deformation

BGELp5C.gif

1Mweq4Z.gif

Melting

0RnPXvN.gif

thelastword

Banned
I always have an orgasm when i see these things...this stuff has to become the fucking standard sooner than later...

It reminds me of the technology in the first the force unleashed videogame

Always told folk this is where we are heading, the transition to next generation is going to take gaming to new heights......I always talk physics, ai and larger more immersive worlds, better sound too...….I think these Ryzen CPU's is going to give console devs to really push the envelope in our next gen titles, these elements of games have laid dormant for too long...…..

GymWolf

Always told folk this is where we are heading, the transition to next generation is going to take gaming to new heights......I always talk physics, ai and larger more immersive worlds, better sound too...….I think these Ryzen CPU's is going to give console devs to really push the envelope in our next gen titles, these elements of games have laid dormant for too long...…..
You are too optimistic my friend.

Shiny graphics, 4k and other shit comes first when devs make triple A game unfortunately.

Making great physics and ia are time consuming and you need a perfect testing before launch to avoid physics and ia bugs and glitch, also they don't sell well except for forum nerds like us.

It's the sad reality.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to see every time a new generation comes out. Instead, we just get better looking hallways.

I could live with this generation's graphics, even at 1080p, if it meant fully interactable and destructible worlds.

Top Bottom