• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flippo

Neo Member

Although, I'll admit it will take time as developers will still use old techniques.
But any game design around the I/O, will have major benefits.
And with that 'old technique' you see previous gen games / engines struggling to get to maximum performance. How can Yakuza not hit solid 60fps when we see something mind blowing as the UE5 demo. For devs it still takes a couple of years to change the working pipeline. The engine development will be held back or is slower if previous gen is still supported. That's why I think development studios who will focus on next gen only can/will perform much beter...

Makes sense for Sony, considering that they already own Funimation, and Crunchyroll has ties with Kadokawa (not trying to imply much of anything here, but it's certainly an interesting tidbit of info). 70 million users (3 million paid subscriptions) is a good place to start as far as owning a video streaming service, and they certainly have interest in anime, that's not new.

Last edited:

devilNprada

Sony want to own the Anime space

Not sure why, they must see money in it. I guess the growth of simulcast subs may have been big for Anime? But I have no data for that

We can also see Netflix have upped their commitment in Anime, so there must be money in the space to be made

There's a big anime fan base here (Los Angeles) all the hot chicks seem to be into it...

reksveks

Not sure why, they must see money in it. I guess the growth of simulcast subs may have been big for Anime? But I have no data for that

We can also see Netflix have upped their commitment in Anime, so there must be money in the space to be made

The amount of money that Netflix have/are dumping into Anime is a bit crazy.

FunkMiller

I kinda left anime behind with Urotsukodoji, but if there’s money in it, I can’t say I blame them.

Though a billion would buy you a very good mid-size third party games developer...

Last edited:

geordiemp

Also links with the Sony VRS patents using complex meshes, to do a VRS where you take what someone is viewing and then take into account 2 eyes and FOVeated and then doing VRS around the edges of 3d objects of wide angle frustum........................... requires VRS integrated into a custom Geometry engine.

Also the fact that Naughty dog devs are on the patents suggest these optimisations where directly what Sony first party wanted.

Matt hargatt has also teased this numerous times.

But the proof will be in the pudding.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Ps5 has custom mesh type Geometry engine with an advanced VRS integrated into the GE to do more complex stuff, as per the naughty dog patent confirmed by dev who has Ps5 dev kit.

Oh boy. And its better than RDNA2.....

aiezXjM.png

Last edited:

reksveks

Also links with the Sony VRS patents using complex meshes, to do a VRS where you take what someone is viewing and then take into account 2 eyes and FOVeated and then doing VRS around the edges of 3d objects of wide angle frustum........................... requires VRS integrated into a custom Geometry engine.

Also the fact that Naughty dog devs are on the patents suggest these optimisations where directly what Sony first party wanted.

Matt hargatt has also teased this numerous times.

But the proof will be in the pudding.
It's all going to be how well each algorithms fundamentally are and well supported they will be. I think Microsoft's 'real' battle is and kinda is for the long term, DirectX 12U vs Vulkan. Think Luna running on Windows PC is a massive win for Microsoft in that battle.

Hashi

When Cerny said: "As the player is turning around. It's possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second."
He's also implying, those textures that are behind the player that would normally be rendered.
Aren't anymore, thus freeing up a lot of resources and resulting in better framerate and resolution.

i92omuP.png
Those data will be helpful in ray calculation. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Because you have some information earlier ;)
its future machine.

Last edited:
If you really understand the PS5 I/O,
A matter in fact, if you understand how the PS5's CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, and I/O works together.
You'll see XBSX doesn't really win in the Framerate + Resolution department.

When Cerny said: "As the player is turning around. It's possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second."
He's also implying, those textures that are behind the player that would normally be rendered.
Aren't anymore, thus freeing up a lot of resources and resulting in better framerate and resolution.

i92omuP.png

No, I think he means:

Normally engine would need to have those textures in RAM to be ready when player turns and unseen is rendered.

Now PS5 loads textures so fast, that they dont have to be kept in ram to wait If player turns around, because they can be loaded just as when they are needed.

So, it saves RAM for other stuff/better textures.

Not same as "what is behind is/isnt being rendered before player turns"

Engines havent rendered out of view field stuff in ages if ever I think

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

It's like Disney with Disney+ being the only sub service where you can watch Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilms.
Or the WWE network where you have all the old WWF, WCW, ECW and more wrestling stuff...

Imagine with all that information, you are literally the only player in the Anime game now... Those sub numbers will be mental!

PaintTinJr

If you really understand the PS5 I/O,
A matter in fact, if you understand how the PS5's CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, and I/O works together.
You'll see XBSX doesn't really win in the Framerate + Resolution department.

i92omuP.png

And that's only one of the many advantages the PS5 has.
People really needs to stop banking hard with this 12 TF BS.

"If you just calculate teraflops you get the same number, but actually the performance is noticeably different because teraflops is defined as the computational capability of the vector ALU."
"That's just one part of the GPU there are a lot of other units and those other units all run faster when the GPU frequency is higher at 33% higher frequency rasterization goes 33% faster processing the command buffer goes that much faster the 2 and other caches have that much higher bandwidth and so on."

Although, I'll admit it will take time as developers will still use old techniques.
But any game design around the I/O, will have major benefits.
I'm not so sure about the developer lag - to catch up with the PS5 design. I always got the feeling that Sony were railroaded into a mid-gen refresh by the competition, but instead of using it as a mid-gen refresh and going all out, the Pro with its 36CUs looks like it gave Sony a chance to prototype and cost balance changes in advance of the next-gen - something they've never been able to do before because the hardware landscape has been so drastically different on each gen; with the exception of the PS4, where they were constrained heavily on R&D spend following the PS3 gen.

The Pro had no financial obstacles compared to a new gen IMHO, because Sony still expected to sell a PS4/slim as the main selling unit, and so the PS5 R&D has benefitted massively from the Pro - maybe even the cooling system was pushed more to the envelope - at no real market risk - and this informed the PS5 paradigm shift for cooling.

Im sorry but before they complain about the PS5 design....:
1) That 1970s parkay hardwood floor is awful
2) That ikea TV stand is far too low to the floor for my taste.
3) That TV should be wall mounted or on a different stand bacause it is too low to the floor on that stand.
4) There is so much white and off white going on it looks like they have never heard of contrasting elements in interior design. Shit, even the PS5 has contrasting elements.

Not to mention that they need to sweep/mop that nasty ass floor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom