• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zadom

Total utter bullshit. you are splitting hairs over a nothing post. Why are you talking specifics when he clearly wasn't. You guys are way too sensitive. You attack DF the moment you think they slight PS5, you attack anyone on twitter the moment you think they are besmirching PS5. just give it a rest.
You call others sensitive but you are getting upset.

You refer to someone as an armchair warrior and fanboy yet you are giving that impression by your posts.

Nothing personal but you are being pretty aggressive.

Last edited:
This isn’t the war the Xboys wanted. Pressure keeps rising. Tactics are getting desperate. So many forces lost.

The funny thing it’s not that big of a deal.
It isn't a big deal if you assumed that PS5 will maintain its dominance. It is a big deal, if you are dependent on the "Third Party runs best on Series X" narrative to move the needle on Xbox sales.

And it didn't even need to be this way; if Halo Infinite was the AAA blockbuster it was meant to be, no one would have cared that Series X isn't stronger than PS5. They cost the same after all, performance parity is not an issue.
But now that Series X need superior performance to sell... Or at, least to market itself. Let's just say Microsoft Marketing would need to be better than they were ever shown to be, to pull off an upset here.

JTCx

No, he turned his comments off because he would get responses like yours from random console warriors.
How do you know? Did your boo thing tell you that?

28f6acf70c233e1c53232d91de28ab4f.gif

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, he turned his comments off because he would get responses like yours from random console warriors. Unless you want to argue that you don't see similar graphical glitches on PC video cards when people attempt to overclock?

He turned them off because people started quoting his old tweets about the real PS5 performance would be around 9TF which was BS.

He has no problem with Xbox fans celebrating the content he posted on twitter, but he gets mad when he gets called out by PS fanboys.

XBox fanboys are ignoring the fact that similar graphical problems are happening with the XsX.

Seph-

Best to just put them on your list and not waste your time tbh. But on the topic of artifacts. Nobody should be shocked, happening to both now, happened to the ps4 and xbox one. Hell, even happens to new gpus in the pc market. Just falls into the small launch failure rates. These type of things are why warranties exist. As per Tom, well let's be honest here. This isn't due to overclocking. So. Use your obvious judgement here.

Best to just put them on your list and not waste your time tbh. But on the topic of artifacts. Nobody should be shocked, happening to both now, happened to the ps4 and xbox one. Hell, even happens to new gpus in the pc market. Just falls into the small launch failure rates. These type of things are why warranties exist. As per Tom, well let's be honest here. This isn't due to overclocking. So. Use your obvious judgement here.

Tom’s evidently a bullshit artist.

But these kinds of issues are as you say, fairly common issues, manufacturing quality control issues all the same. Possibly an issue that arose during assembly but not picked up during testing.

Seph-

Tom’s evidently a bullshit artist.

But these kinds of issues are as you say, fairly common issues, manufacturing quality control issues all the same. Possibly an issue that arose during assembly but not picked up during testing.
Essentially. That and again this is all launch window so issues as such are bound to exist. That and the help of social media to bolster instances and boom. Here we are. But again, this is what warranties exist for lol.

renx

It's time to see the PS5 SoC.
And it's time for Sony to tell what is custom (and for what reason), and what is not custom.

There are some hints by Matt Hargett, and some vague info from Cerny's Road to PS5 speech, but that's not good enough.
SoC white paper would be good enough.

I mean it's time. I don't get why the SoC details are still a secret.

What to think at this point?
Maybe the PS5 SoC has some very special customizations, or maybe it's just the Series X dual RAM bandwidth making a mess out of that console.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Play Astro first buddy. Since you are Sony fan through and through, you will appreciate this so much more. I mean it.

And that I did. Because I don't have a choice, lol. Anyway, I would give Astro's Playroom 10/10 for being free, and 9/10 if it was for like $30.

Speaking of haptic feedback, it's very impressive, really feels organic.

But adaptive triggers, well they are tiresome after some hours, I'll leave them on default and see how they react on other games. If they are as stiff as they are now on Astro I'll tune them down.

Overall, I understand the feedback better from HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and onesvenus onesvenus now, although I won't close them but understand that some might not like some of those features.

Pulse 3D only tested on Astro, and overall it's pretty light and comfy, but sounds like $100, it's not punching above its weight. Maybe Astro isn't as good as when went to the menu for HRTF profile (I preferred the default) it sounds much more impactful. Volume is perfect and high enough at full (I always go full), but compared to my previews experience on Astro A40+Mixamp it feels muffled or chocked on Astro's Playroom. Put in mind this is only on one game that's tiny and 100% doesn't have a wide range of 3D audio space.

Controllers feel as if I didn't change my DS4, which is great, but slightly better especially the grips as my hands tend to sweat.

And turned off the auto (rest mode) for all situations just to be safe. The console literally has no sound, but I didn't play and discs nor I do anyway since 6 years of being fully digital. My base PS4 and PS4 Pro all of them are silent, and I don't clean them at all. With PS5 I might clean it now because it's to easy using a vacuum machine.

Sadly, all PS collections I already have, so nothing new to me. Next is Bugsnax.:lollipop_crying:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
regarding your previous post 😉
We all know you are a fanboy .. 😘 but please pipe a bit down , lately your post are becoming unreadable fanboy ramblings .. being a bit biased isn’t bad it’s even human , but do try to keep a objective point of view from time to time ! Enjoy your PS5! I went full Nintendo and MS, sold my PS4, do still have my PS3, PSP and Vita. And PS classic.

I like what Sony did with Dual sense , I think MS will copy it and have a controller like that in 2-3 years .

Don't take my posts and banter seriously though. If we are face to face you'll appreciate my input better. Problem with text is always misinterpreted until you spend enough time watching the poster's behavior, then you'll know that I'm the most innocent person on earth.

Am I?:lollipop_horns:

onesvenus

I would give Astro's Playroom 10/10 for being free, and 9/10 if it was for like $30.

Serious questions:
- Have you played some other platformers recently? I really can't conceive giving Astro's such high scores when you take the nostalgia glasses off.
- Have you played the Switch? The haptic feedback seemed like a small evolution of what it did some years ago. I was really expecting more.

Great first impressions Bo, enjoy it!

sircaw

Banned
And that I did. Because I don't have a choice, lol. Anyway, I would give Astro's Playroom 10/10 for being free, and 9/10 if it was for like $30.

But adaptive triggers, well they are tiresome after some hours, I'll leave them on default and see how they react on other games. If they are as stiff as they are now on Astro I'll tune them down.

Overall, I understand the feedback better from HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and onesvenus onesvenus now, although I won't close them but understand that some might not like some of those features.

Pulse 3D only tested on Astro, and overall it's pretty light and comfy, but sounds like $100, it's not punching above its weight. Maybe Astro isn't as good as when went to the menu for HRTF profile (I preferred the default) it sounds much more impactful. Volume is perfect and high enough at full (I always go full), but compared to my previews experience on Astro A40+Mixamp it feels muffled or chocked on Astro. Put in mind this is only on one game that's tiny and 100% doesn't have a wide range of 3D audio space.

Controllers feel as if I didn't change my DS4, which is great, but slightly better especially the grips as my hands tend to sweat.

And turn off the auto (rest mode) for all situations just to be safe. The console literally has no sound, but I didn't play and discs nor I do anyway since 6 years of being fully digital. My base PS4 and PS4 Pro all of them are silent, and I don't clean them at all. With PS5 I might clean it now because it's to easy using a vacuum machine.

Sadly, all PS collections I already have, so nothing new to me. Next is Bugsnax.:lollipop_crying:

Living in the desert can have this effect. "lollipop_disappointed:

sircaw

Banned
regarding your previous post 😉
We all know you are a fanboy .. 😘 but please pipe a bit down , lately your post are becoming unreadable fanboy ramblings .. being a bit biased isn’t bad it’s even human , but do try to keep a objective point of view from time to time ! Enjoy your PS5! I went full Nintendo and MS, sold my PS4, do still have my PS3, PSP and Vita. And PS classic.

I like what Sony did with Dual sense , I think MS will copy it and have a controller like that in 2-3 years .

You tell him, i have many conversations with Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem about him being a fanboy but he never listens to my advice. Go full out dude, show him who the boss it :messenger_grinning:

FranXico

He turned them off because people started quoting his old tweets about the real PS5 performance would be around 9TF which was BS.

He has no problem with Xbox fans celebrating the content he posted on twitter, but he gets mad when he gets called out by PS fanboys.

XBox fanboys are ignoring the fact that similar graphical problems are happening with the XsX.
Not to mention he got called out for spreading lies on twitter already. Embarrassing.

SSfox

So John is now analyzing people who disagree with him based on their language and heritage......He is providing more stats on twitter on twitter responses than in his Dirt video, we never saw the better performing 120Hz mode on Series X that he alluded to......

DMC always performed better on PS4/PRO over XBOX. They upgraded many things for RE8 Village and pushed PS4/XBONE out of the picture to concentrate on more next gen graphics and features....Most of Capcom's games have been targetting 60fps of late, so that initial demo was them just transitioning from last gen systems to this one....

This review reminds me of this one.....A writer at TOM's can't put the PS5 down, he is playing countless hours on PS5 whilst having both systems, but apparently he still prefers his XBOX. He also says the PS5 launch lineup makes it compulsively playable....So even if he prefers XBOX, I can appreciate such honesty, yet it's also odd that many said the PS5's lineup was just as bad as that of Series X, but a fan of the XBOX begs to disagree....

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-xbox-series-x-launch-exclusives

Spain is more Playstation than Xbox, i can guarantee you that

Md Ray

It’s going to be bloodbath tomorrow morning. lol. But I think he know his stuff. For a 500 dollar console, Sony has to cut corners. I’m not surprised.
I believe it deserved its own thread. So made one:

Sinthor

Gold Member
This seems sort of hysterical. Day one patches are not uncommon.
DEFINTELY drama queen. We've known all along the game was going to be CURRENT GEN and get a next gen patch/release sometime next year (according to plan). It is what it is. Anyone surprised that a game of this complexity needs extra time to polish and squash bugs is eating the wrong kinds of mushrooms!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
God, I hope this is the case. I really want to play TLOU 2 at 60fps.
Update:

I looked through several games.

Here's the list:

Includes Next-gen upgrade
Ghost of Tsushima (Patch was already released)
Last of Us Part II

Enhanced for next-gen consoles
Days Gone (Patch was already released)
MediEvil
Concrete Genie
Horizon Zero Dawn
Bloodborne
Last of Us Remastered
God of War III Remastered
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted 4
Until Dawn
Uncharted Collection
God of War
Spider-Man

What makes me question the "Enhanced" list is Spider-Man since they're making us pay for the remaster.

Final Fantasy 7 and Dreams does not have this label at all. I think TLOU 2 is likely to receive one outside of the games that have already been patched.

Pulse 3D only tested on Astro, and overall it's pretty light and comfy, but sounds like $100, it's not punching above its weight. Maybe Astro isn't as good as when went to the menu for HRTF profile (I preferred the default) it sounds much more impactful. Volume is perfect and high enough at full (I always go full), but compared to my previews experience on Astro A40+Mixamp it feels muffled or chocked on Astro's Playroom. Put in mind this is only on one game that's tiny and 100% doesn't have a wide range of 3D audio space.

Dude, no, why?!

Headphones are not meant to be used at max volume :messenger_grimmacing_

99.99% chance to cause hearing damage with max volume on about any headphones. I just dont get how and why people do this:messenger_sad_relieved:

Most headphones should be painfully loud after 50-70%, yet I read so often about using max volume.

Sound quality is also worse as distortion comes + ears are saturated by way too loud noises.

Well they are your ears. But just know, it is not safe at all.

Many even claim that they use Sony wh1000xm3 at max volume, which is around 100dB or more. I have them and they are painfully loud at 40-50% and at max thry are like tiny speakers screaming across the room.

It is like rock concerts, some people dont notice/feel it is way too loud to be without ear plugs = hearing damage is possible even from 1 concert.

People, dont fuck up your only set of current gen ears:messenger_pensive:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Serious questions:
- Have you played some other platformers recently? I really can't conceive giving Astro's such high scores when you take the nostalgia glasses off.
- Have you played the Switch? The haptic feedback seemed like a small evolution of what it did some years ago. I was really expecting more.

Great first impressions Bo, enjoy it!

Never played nor had the switch. And sure Mario should be something great. My scores are value focused. If it was $60 then it'll be 8/10. Besides Ratchet, I couldn't play Crash again because it feels samey since years of playing them to perfection back in the day. Also played Mario endlessly during Family Computer (NES) and Sonic on MegaDrive2.

My best platformer is LBP, so Sackboy might be the new best.

What I loved about DS haptic feedback is the accuracy, both in location and mimicking the feel. Although I need to play more games to appreciate them more as platformers aren't my big thing. Running on metal, glass are all wonderful, but rain and gliding over ice is the most impactful and wow moment for me!

Overall I think they are using generic 7.1 channel or limited sources as I wasn't impressed by 3D audio in this little game, maybe to save space? The resistance in the adaptive triggers are a bit aggressive to my liking although cool, but might tune them down to weak or something less intense.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Dude, no, why?!

Headphones are not meant to be used at max volume :messenger_grimmacing_

99.99% chance to cause hearing damage with max volume on about any headphones. I just dont get how and why people do this:messenger_sad_relieved:

Most headphones should be painfully loud after 50-70%, yet I read so often about using max volume.

Sound quality is also worse as distortion comes + ears are saturated by way too loud noises.

Well they are your ears. But just know, it is not safe at all.

Many even claim that they use Sony wh1000xm3 at max volume, which is around 100dB or more. I have them and they are painfully loud at 40-50% and at max thry are like tiny speakers screaming across the room.

It is like rock concerts, some people dont notice/feel it is way too loud to be without ear plugs = hearing damage is possible even from 1 concert.

People, dont fuck up your only set of current gen ears:messenger_pensive:

Maybe you're a cat.:messenger_fearful: I'll try to lower the volume to 80%. Last time playing GOW when I met the world serpent the headset was literally shaking that I had to take them off.:messenger_grimmacing_

They said the same about playing games for endless hours, been doing it since I was 3 and 31 years later here I'm having a very sharp vision, thank God. Typing from my work laptop that is 768p. This is a blur torture! But need to adjust as I'll check gaf from work mostly now and having essentials at home like gaming, food, sex.:lollipop_hushed:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
now that i have both, for sure PS5 feels more like a new generation, more exciting and premium feeling. but also comes with early new generation bugs and crashes 😆 so there is a trade off, PS5 has already crashes or turned itself off 3 times in the day i used it, where as Series X has not had a single issue

the heptic stufff.. vibration is kinda meh but the triggers are awesome! genuinely improves gamefeel, breaking those balls in Astro will never get old! 😆

but yeah just MM and Astro just kills it for Sony(i might have to get DS too at some point👀), these are real great games to enjoy on a new system with totally new experiences (controller stuff for astro and ray tracing for MM). Series X feels very "meh" in comparison, like i stayed up late playing on PS5, which i dont do often nowadays, but with Series X it was just like any other day just with everything loading and playing better

Glad you're having a blast! But that egg container is just funny, the packaging must be the most generic I've ever had. But the hardware itself feels pretty premium.

But I was bumped that my HDMI 2.0 4K HDR isn't good enough for 12-bit, 4:4:4 at 60Hz on PS5, which I didn't expect. They push down to 4:2:2 instead of doing 10-bit 4:4:4. Looks great anyway but gonna update to a new Sony XH90 or 2021 model later.

LiquidRex

🤔 Those side panels seems to lock in some heat, maybe third party custom panels with cutouts and a dust collecting mesh. 🤷‍♂️

But then again I'm sure Sony aren't concerned with how hot the memory gets anyway, otherwise the panels themselves would have been made with air ventilation as standard.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We'll see in due time. At the moment I am positive that it would be fine if left there. For the nth time: at the back it's completelly open, while air intake is totally in the open.

It can fit 100% there but still prefer to give it even more headroom. So far its as calm as turned off, zero sounds. I don't use discs so I won't know if it has disc whine or so.

DSC-4246.jpg

IMG-20201122-WA0118.jpg

The charging station is a must! Wonderful! You can put it anywhere because it's independent. Also I use my cellphone charger to charge the Pulse 3D when I shut down PS5.

Garani

It can fit 100% there but still prefer to give it even more headroom. So far its as calm as turned off, zero sounds. I don't use discs so I won't know if it has disc whine or so.

DSC-4246.jpg

IMG-20201122-WA0118.jpg

The charging station is a must! Wonderful! You can put it anywhere because it's independent. Also I use my cellphone charger to charge the Pulse 3D when I shut down PS5.
Tech Jesus just validated my assumption: side panels are not part of the cooling solution of the box. So you can have no air gap above and below, ad it would run fine.

Actually, in testing, the box run cooler without the panels on :D

Never played nor had the switch. And sure Mario should be something great. My scores are value focused. If it was $60 then it'll be 8/10. Besides Ratchet, I couldn't play Crash again because it feels samey since years of playing them to perfection back in the day. Also played Mario endlessly during Family Computer (NES) and Sonic on MegaDrive2.

My best platformer is LBP, so Sackboy might be the new best.

What I loved about DS haptic feedback is the accuracy, both in location and mimicking the feel. Although I need to play more games to appreciate them more as platformers aren't my big thing. Running on metal, glass are all wonderful, but rain and gliding over ice is the most impactful and wow moment for me!

Overall I think they are using generic 7.1 channel or limited sources as I wasn't impressed by 3D audio in this little game, maybe to save space? The resistance in the adaptive triggers are a bit aggressive to my liking although cool, but might tune them down to weak or something less intense.
I know you said you weren't into Souls type of games, but it's exactly why recommended it :p. The audio there, to me, seems exactly like what Cerny was talking about in Feb. No other game I played so far sounded like this. I could count the number of enemies off screen based on sound alone :messenger_open_mouth:

Why its always Xbox fans that goes to extreme lengths like this? Maybe the constant beating from Sony and Nintendo and finishing last since 2001 can have this effect? I don't get it 🤣
Some of the hardcore Xbox fanboys are literally sharing every single tweet about PS5 issues.
And I've read people saying that most of those issues are happening due to the "overclock" and Sony has no other choice than downclock it and that's how the XSX will perform better than the PS5. They're desperate.

PaintTinJr

That is exactly how it looks on a PC with a video card clocked too high. don't be foolish. he isn't saying the PS5 is clocked too high (he gave an example), he is saying if you see it occur, return it. It's armchair warriors like yourself that gets all bent out of shape and starts sending him messages claiming wrong doing. No wonder he turned comments off.
Unless he's previously listed ways to eliminate all other causes - first that springs to mind is a system format & factory reset, enter safe mode and reinstall the latest firmware from download via a reliable usb memory stick - then claiming that it is a hardware fault and denying people the ability to make suggestions is bad form (IMHO), and something I would only expect from someone shilling .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom