• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

INC

Has this been brought up again? I have multiple arcade sticks/ps4 controllers so this would be amazing on top of building on a already large library of games. Also I can finally let my ps4 pro die. My god is that thing loud.

At least the xim will be backward compatible too.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The analyst noted PSN's $12.5 billion is "higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018." Sony's network also beat out Microsoft's gaming division last year, which generated $11.5 billion, according to Ahmad.

Only PSN made $12.5B in 2019, but the Playstation division:

At $18.72 billion overall, 2019 was the second-biggest year in revenue for PlayStation, including hardware, software, and all revenues earned through the division. That was down from 2018's $20.43 billion, but up from $16.77 billion in 2017.

So Playstation is making around double what Xbox Division making with all its services and sales.

The companies as a whole:

Sony $78B
Microsoft $110B

Microsoft is bigger but less diverse, and benefiting from PC monopoly at the moment until Chrome OS matures + Harmony OS (Huawei) hit the market and share some of that space.

Sony gaming division is not the most profitable branch anyway, but they are top/high-end on most of their branches in terms of quality and seems to be seeking car making in the near future.
Not really double, more like 60% more, that's closer to 50% than 100%...
Also Microsoft made $125B in their annual revenue for 2019, and they are not at all purely benefiting from their PC monopoly. Cloud is a third of their revenue. It's weird you are saying Microsoft isn't diverse when they have hardware, software, cloud and gaming.

Kobi

At least the xim will be backward compatible too.
bGguDZN.jpg

Last edited:

onesvenus

Sussoloc

The analyst noted PSN's $12.5 billion is "higher than Nintendo's total revenue for 2018." Sony's network also beat out Microsoft's gaming division last year, which generated $11.5 billion, according to Ahmad.

At $18.72 billion overall, 2019 was the second-biggest year in revenue for PlayStation, including hardware, software, and all revenues earned through the division. That was down from 2018's $20.43 billion, but up from $16.77 billion in 2017.

So Playstation is making around double what Xbox Division making with all its services and sales.

Sony $78B
Microsoft $110B

Microsoft is bigger but less diverse, and benefiting from PC monopoly at the moment until Chrome OS matures + Harmony OS (Huawei) hit the market and share some of that space.

Sony gaming division is not the most profitable branch anyway, but they are top/high-end on most of their branches in terms of quality and seems to be seeking car making in the near future.
The problem is that some Sony divisions have losses such as smartphones and Tvs if i am right. Playstation is their cashcow at the moment and that mostly thanks to some huge mistakes by Microsoft in 2013. Couldn't find a number, what was Sonys total revenue 2019? Microsoft had 126 billion dollars.

Lone Wolf

Sony $78B
Microsoft $110B

Are you sure that Sony’s gaming division is not the most profitable? I thought it was for a while now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
About the Super Bawl, Sony is more invested into a more globally-dominant sport, which is Football.

The world's most-watched annual sporting event was aired in more than 200 countries – an estimated global average audience in the region of 165 million (and a projected global unique reach of 380 million viewers) tuning in to see Real Madrid CF fight back to defeat Club Atlético de Madrid 4-1 after extra time.

Sony is sponsoring it:

original.jpg

Doesn't mean Super Bawl is irrelevant, but they might be asking too much for much less. So if they would advertise it through sports it should pop-up first in the UEFA Champions League, and probably around the final when it gets most of the attention in an existing contract already.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
About the Super Bawl, Sony is more invested into a more globally-dominant sport, which is Football.

The world's most-watched annual sporting event was aired in more than 200 countries – an estimated global average audience in the region of 165 million (and a projected global unique reach of 380 million viewers) tuning in to see Real Madrid CF fight back to defeat Club Atlético de Madrid 4-1 after extra time.

Sony is sponsoring it:

original.jpg

Doesn't mean Super Bawl is irrelevant, but they might be asking too much for much less. So if they would advertise it through sports it should pop-up first in the UEFA Champions League, and probably around the final when it gets most of the attention in an existing contract already.
Did they sponsor it or just use the advertising boards?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The problem is that some Sony divisions have losses such as smartphones and Tvs if i am right. Playstation is their cashcow at the moment and that mostly thanks to some huge mistakes by Microsoft in 2013. Couldn't find a number, what was Sonys total revenue 2019? Microsoft had 126 billion dollars.
No, they recovered. All divisions are profitable.

Last edited:

Sony is sponsoring it:

original.jpg

You make it sound like Sony focus only on important selective matches, which is not the case, Sony do sponsor CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (most important-most watched) competition in football.

Sussoloc

No, they recovered. All divisions are profitable.

All? Thought at least smartphones are not:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You make it sound like Sony focus only on important selective matches, which is not the case, Sony do sponsor CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (most important-most watched) competition in football.

Yes, it is. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. It's been there since more than a decade:

PlayStation® extends UEFA Champions League Partnership

2560855_w1.jpg

Yes, are you aware that Sony has already dethroned Canon and Nikon? Plus it owns more than 50% of camera sensors around the globe, including nearly all smartphones?

TSR-3.JPG

It's been providing sensors for Nikon cameras for decades anyway.
Yeah Sony's mirrorless (and DSLR) cameras are top of the line, very innovative and in many ways superior to Canon and Nikon. And like you said, the sensors! Truly great tech.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just to be clear, I came here like many other new members through Youtube references and been enjoying this thread for more than 2 weeks now. I'm not an insider, just using a nostalgic photo of the PS1. I'm into gaming as a gamer since 1988 starting through Atari, Family Game (NES), Sega Mega Drive (Genisis?), PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4+PS4 Pro. I'm also a videographer/photographer "not a big one" but have some association with our national TV "Oman TV" during touristic period to make short documentaries. So I built a PC to edit them by myself last year (Ryzen 2700x, Radeon VII, etc) and it's more like a standby gaming rig if Xbox comes with something good. Might trade the Radeon VII and get a raytracing card (2080ti or something newer) if I think it's worth it, but the Radeon VII is killing it in terms of editing 4K or more in the future, which was originally an undercover workstation card anyway.

Last edited:

splattered

Well, Xbox fans seem to think it's a crime to say both are practically equal.

Really? Cause I keep seeing the same sony fans say "practically equal, but with the edge to ps5?"

I understand why sony fans want the edge though, they've had to live with the X1X being stronger than the Pro all this time and they don't want that to continue. They enjoyed the power edge at launch in 2013 but things turned on their head after mid gen refresh.

I'm not going to believe anything said by insiders until the specs are officially unveiled for both companies.

They will either be equal or one just slightly stronger than the other most likely.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Really? Cause I keep seeing the same sony fans say "practically equal, but with the edge to ps5?"

I understand why sony fans want the edge though, they've had to live with the X1X being stronger than the Pro all this time and they don't want that to continue. They enjoyed the power edge at launch in 2013 but things turned on their head after mid gen refresh.

I'm not going to believe anything said by insiders until the specs are officially unveiled for both companies.

They will either be equal or one just slightly stronger than the other most likely.
Nope, what I see here is Sony fans suggesting they're ok with SX having the tiny edge, but if someone, insider or not, comes and says PS5 has the edge, hell breaks loose among Xbox fans and another round of GitHub leaks and no RT discussions begin.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sadly all the evidence points towards lockheart being real.

I just wish it was a simple little £80 box with a controller that had a hdmi output and streams 1080p quality SX games to your tv, like a stadia only not wank.

That would be fantastic, and allow entry level people to play their content.

don’t like streaming? Don’t buy it, simple.

That would be smart then when you purchase all those games along with Gamepass then you decide to buy the XSX you would transfer those to that one. I wish Sony makes something like that for PS Now, like you can play the games you already own and continue playing them on the go when traveling and save the progress on cloud then when you come back you download the save file and continue on your console.

Keep fighting soldier. Microsoft are sure to look after you when the console war is finally won.

darkinstinct

Didn't expect them being so close at revenues, but at profit it's more clear. I think it's 7,5 billion vs 43 billion in 2019. Good for Sony, the years before the PS4 were dark. They make really good tvs and cameras. Love my Xf9005 and my Alpha 68.
That's the difference between a hardware company like Sony and a software company like Microsoft. Profit margins on hardware are around 5 to 10 %. Profit margins on software are 30+ %.

Kusarigama

More world news.
Please elaborate. The only world news is corona virus epidemic in China, which might affect the production of many electronic products.

Also, does any anyone have a rough idea as to when the full scale production of next gen systems might start assuming they need to produce atleast 6 million units ready for launch in November?

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Nope, what I see here is Sony fans suggesting they're ok with SX having the tiny edge, but if someone, insider or not, comes and says PS5 has the edge, hell breaks loose among Xbox fans and another round of GitHub leaks and no RT discussions begin.
Are you ok with XSX having a huge edge? Just theoretically. Because I really don't care. I will buy an XSX for Forza Horizon 5 and I will buy a PS5 for GT. I'd actually be pised if they are both close to one another, because that means buying two identical pieces of hardware just to play their respective games.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Please elaborate more. The only world news is corona virus epidemic in China, which might affect the production of many electronic products.

Also, does any anyone have a rough idea as to when the full scale production of next gen systems might start assuming they need to produce atleast 6 million units ready for launch in November?

Bro he's just saying what I posted a thread about a week ago, yes corona might affect production, it's already affecting switch production.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not really double, more like 60% more, that's closer to 50% than 100%...
Also Microsoft made $125B in their annual revenue for 2019, and they are not at all purely benefiting from their PC monopoly. Cloud is a third of their revenue. It's weird you are saying Microsoft isn't diverse when they have hardware, software, cloud and gaming.

I meant is that it circulates mostly around Windows. Do you have any charts/details on their revenue breakdown? Just to understand if it's cloud in general or cloud gaming. China ditching Windows is a big thing, as years back I heard France was using Ubuntu (Linux) for the some/all schools/colleges? Meaning no company is safe if they don't plan properly.

Sony making $80M for 2019 means that it's not a "midget" company in comparison. It might be smaller, but not "weak" like some think it is (including myself before reading more about it).

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I meant is that it circulates mostly around Windows. Do you have any charts/details on their revenue breakdown? Just to understand if it's cloud in general or cloud gaming. China ditching Windows is a big thing, as years back I heard France was using Ubuntu (Linux) for the some/all schools/colleges? Meaning no company is safe if they don't plan properly.

Sony making $80M for 2019 means that it's not a "midget" company in comparison. It might be smaller, but not "weak" like some think it is (including myself before reading more about it).
No indeed, Sony definitely isn't a midget company. Here is a breakdown and explanation of their business based on their latest earnings. On the bottom you can see their 3 major businesses.

Lone Wolf

We know Sony is a successful company. You just got here, no need to shill for them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Just to be clear, I came here like many other new members through Youtube references and been enjoying this thread for more than 2 weeks now. I'm not an insider, just using a nostalgic photo of the PS1. I'm into gaming as a gamer since 1988 starting through Atari, Family Game (NES), Sega Mega Drive (Genisis?), PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4+PS4 Pro. I'm also a videographer/photographer "not a big one" but have some association with our national TV "Oman TV" during touristic period to make short documentaries. So I built a PC to edit them by myself last year (Ryzen 2700x, Radeon VII, etc) and it's more like a standby gaming rig if Xbox comes with something good. Might trade the Radeon VII and get a raytracing card (2080ti or something newer) if I think it's worth it, but the Radeon VII is killing it in terms of editing 4K or more in the future, which was originally an undercover workstation card anyway.
Welcome. Nice to have you here. Your gaming adventure is almost similar to mine, except I started with Pong, then Atari 2600, Family Computer, Mega Drive, PS1, PS2 etc. Also the closest I got to Oman was Fujairah. Went for a ride on a mountainous area, and at one point I thought I entered Oman :messenger_tears_of_joy:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sorry.

It will be difficult for Sony or Microsoft's plans not to be altered by the C-Virus.

Cross your fingers.

And this Friday it will be decide if the MWC is cancelled.

We need Chris and the BSAA intervention as soon as possible.

Yes I believe you, this is what he told me, I believe in Colbert more than these unnamed sources like Jason Schreier or Mark Cerny lying to us about Hardware RT YOOO!!
WV9VuZO.png
Besides the big name sources, many people believe that it would be impossible for Oberon to have RT and VRS capabilities, which we’ve heard the PS5 will have. I think more and more that Github was just a misleading monkey wrench thrown into this discussion.

JLB

Banned
Yes, it is. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. It's been there since more than a decade:

PlayStation® extends UEFA Champions League Partnership

2560855_w1.jpg

This is huge, probably not very sound for americans, but Champions League is a world wide phenomena that has hundreds of millions of viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom