• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANIMAL1975

I was hinting that when the consoles launch the XsX would be more powerful and have stayed the course.

People under estimate the leaks of a month or two ago where numbers were at that time how much more mature the PS5 DKs were compared to XsX.

Just using examples here.

I don't put much stock into DK2 PS5 being strong then DK1 XsX
This I have no idea about. The person I told you about privately won’t say anything one way or the other.
Help me out guys. What i am not understanding here is: in what stage of the devkits are we at now, for both? Dv2? And only one left is the final?

Same I am simply not getting info on this latest DK, its literally under lock and key and super limited access even inside the same teams, its super interesting.
is normal. In the presentation they should say tflops are in the double figures and call it a day. Being the most powerful is a great marketing weapon they dont want to lose.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems like no exact numbers after all

4785a7cb473fb19991a0f949af7c2170c94e916fa11943c1f3a25eda18caabea.jpg

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Help me out guys. What i am not understanding here is: in what stage of the devkits are we at now, for both? Dv2? And only one left is the final?
Sony would at least be on v3 by now. First one was Ariel based tower PC design, then jet engine Oberon 9.2 TF, now seemingly at non final around 12 TF v3. I really wish somebody would explain to me why an APU built specifically only for a temporary devkit (v2) was tested for Backwards Compatibility. I really want to know.

You're all forgetting what BGs BGs said. Stop obssessing over tflops and start thinking which console has better balance.

What console has faster memory access?

What console has faster SSD?

Which one has more low-level API?

Is Mart Cerny unconventionally handsome or just creepy looking?

Q's like this will ultimately decide which side those delicious salty fanboy tears fall.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony would at least be on v3 by now. First one was Ariel based tower PC design, then jet engine Oberon 9.2 TF, now seemingly at non final around 12 TF v3. I really wish somebody would explain to me why an APU built specifically only for a temporary devkit (v2) was tested for Backwards Compatibility. I really want to know.

Partial tests not showing all CUs and RT cores with a stress test at 2000Mhz, 18>36>54.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're all forgetting what BGs BGs said. Stop obssessing over tflops and start thinking which console has better balance.

Q's like this will ultimately decide which side those delicious salty fanboy tears fall.

MS for years hammered us with TFs and conditioned so many people to that being the end goal.

Most do not understand the upgrade we are getting with this new tech and SSDs

Sinthor

Gold Member
Less than 2% difference is just perfect, no matter which one has the edge. Hyping up here.

That's where I'm at. Honestly, I'll be getting a PS5 but I DO hope that the differences are minimal. Even with the last gen PS4 v Xbox1 I just didn't like the arguments and silliness about how XB1 was rendering at less resolution, etc. If they're both so that games run and look the same, that' fine by me and I don't CARE who technically edges the other by the numbers. At least not that way. If there are other differences the platform holders build into their systems that come in new and/or unexpected ways, that's fine. But for me it's really about the ecosystem.

darkinstinct

No, to avoid being tracked. Surely the spec sheet they have doesnt match the real numbers of the dev kit, each studio could have a different slightly software modified clock.
LOL, devs would be furious if that happened. Enjoy your 1.97 GHz GPU. And a 1.96 GHz for you. Would lead to these possible numbers: 9.22, 9.17, 9.12, ... basically 0.05 steps between devs. Now with more than 100 studios working on PS5 games that would mean they would need to have some devs develop on an 8.76 TF machine while others work on a 9.22 TF machine, all to protect against leaks, against which a simple NDA is much more effective. You could even only track it to the studio, not to a particular dev. So you would actually need to modify clock speeds for every devkit. 1000 devkits, some are working with 9.22 TF, others with 4.61 TF. The ideas get crazier every day.

johnjohn

So seems like people are finally agreeing that SeX has the edge Now I just can't wait to see the games, especially since apparently "MS has been killing it" in regards to games.

ANIMAL1975

Exactly, BGs BGs on one of his first posts said (if my memory doesn't fail) XSX devkit has more tfs, but PS5 has performance advantage. He said there's a new PS devkit but he wouldn't talk about it, because what he knows is not first-hand, and that he counts in getting it probably in June.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Having seen 000000 O running I’ll just say this. Games > Flops. The lighting in this game is beyond my ability to explain. Firing a shotgun in a dark room seeing the muzzle shot light up the room and the accompanying smoke wafting around leaving trails that also react to the light and has actual weight. Everything just seems real.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
LOL, devs would be furious if that happened. Enjoy your 1.97 GHz GPU. And a 1.96 GHz for you. Would lead to these possible numbers: 9.22, 9.17, 9.12, ... basically 0.05 steps between devs. Now with more than 100 studios working on PS5 games that would mean they would need to have some devs develop on an 8.76 TF machine while others work on a 9.22 TF machine, all to protect against leaks, against which a simple NDA is much more effective. You could even only track it to the studio, not to a particular dev. So you would actually need to modify clock speeds for every devkit. 1000 devkits, some are working with 9.22 TF, others with 4.61 TF. The ideas get crazier every day.

Are you possessed by Timdog by any chance? :messenger_tears_of_joy: jk Just saw the same passion with 9.2TF.

ANIMAL1975

Having seen 000000 O running I’ll just say this. Games > Flops. The lighting in this game is beyond my ability to explain. Firing a shotgun in a dark room seeing the muzzle shot light up the room and the accompanying smoke wafting around leaving trails that also react to the light and has actual weight. Everything just seems real.
What are you talking about!??? Flops >>>>> games until death!

darkinstinct

Whose narrative? Many people here always wanted them to be equal.
You have been here for three weeks. And you shifted from a 54 CU APU just a week ago (which would put PS5 at 13.8 TF) to "I want them to be equal"? Tell you what. Let's pretend your 54 CU butterfly design is correct. Then to achieve equality it needs to run at 1.8 GHz. So why does Sony need to spend a lot of money on cooling? I can answer that, because according to your idea they would run PS5 Boost mode at 36 CU and 2 GHz while running native PS5 games at 54 CU and 1.8 GHz. In what way does that make any sense? They'd rather have no boost mode than to have to clock their APU at 2 GHz instead of 1.8 GHz. Also why not simpy use a boost mode with 36 CU at 1,8 GHz?

mitchman

Gold Member
Mwc was cancelled because majority of the companies there would've been from China and coming by plane. That's why GDC is still happening as Chinese attendees and retailers are a tiny part of the whole show. I don't know of any other shows being cancelled and I don't see why a lot of people from China would be involved in a Sony release conference. Few people in the media?
MWC, Cisco Live, Facebook 5000 people conference, Swatch's conference, Singapore Airshow severly handicapped due to cancellations (70+ companies have cancelled), 2020 Chinese Grand Prix cancelled and many other smaller events. So yes, it's possible.

darkinstinct

How can the smoke trails be lit in a dark room from a shotgun muzzle flash? The flash would happen and light up the room, then the smoke would form when it is already dark again. So how do you see those smoke trails in the dark room reacting to the light?

You have been here for three weeks. And you shifted from a 54 CU APU just a week ago (which would put PS5 at 13.8 TF) to "I want them to be equal"? Tell you what. Let's pretend your 54 CU butterfly design is correct. Then to achieve equality it needs to run at 1.8 GHz. So why does Sony need to spend a lot of money on cooling? I can answer that, because according to your idea they would run PS5 Boost mode at 36 CU and 2 GHz while running native PS5 games at 54 CU and 1.8 GHz. In what way does that make any sense? They'd rather have no boost mode than to have to clock their APU at 2 GHz instead of 1.8 GHz. Also why not simpy use a boost mode with 36 CU at 1,8 GHz?
He doesnt want PS 5 to be 9,2, neither do I. You yes?.

mitchman

Gold Member
Page 911 discusses this in context of the Japanese article.

I mean...if the power crown ends up going to a system who has less than a TF more, kinda meh.

I think we all win this generation with them being this close. Microsoft had a hard lesson learned from last gen; Sony is going to keep apace, so both systems being relatively equal doesn't surprise me.

Yea, but people celebrated the Xbox One and PS4 difference. Which is approx .5tf difference.
You know what Curry? I applaud you. Because I see who you like. I know what brand you stand hard for but you keep it clean. So yes it was celebrated "only" because 1. MS had the more expensive box and was weaker. 2. Because resolution mattered then. 900p to 1080p native mattered. Hell I applaud the One X so much for the same reason. I almost got one but decided to weight to get both boxes this generation and saved up a $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom