• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARTYWOLF

Does this mean there is a chance for 13TF in the final?

Depends if MS/Sony wanna destroy AMDs gpu line up for the year ahhah that would be insane numbers for the consoles

5700 is already gonna be beaten handily so I assume big navi is gonna be incredibly powerful just seems the consoles are poised to out do the mid range which is a big change from last gen

Last edited:

tuco11

Having seen 000000 O running I’ll just say this. Games > Flops. The lighting in this game is beyond my ability to explain. Firing a shotgun in a dark room seeing the muzzle shot light up the room and the accompanying smoke wafting around leaving trails that also react to the light and has actual weight. Everything just seems real.

New Socom confirmed . convinced you seen re-imagined Death Trap map from Socom 2...yes i want to believe :)

Falc67

Having seen 000000 O running I’ll just say this. Games > Flops. The lighting in this game is beyond my ability to explain. Firing a shotgun in a dark room seeing the muzzle shot light up the room and the accompanying smoke wafting around leaving trails that also react to the light and has actual weight. Everything just seems real.

Comparing next gen game’s you’ve seen.. How does Hellblade 2 trailer stack up?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah thats where i got the pics from.

the funny thing is that this confirms that MS flies in a bunch of their fans to their conferences to applaud their weak announcements. i dont think any journalist not named arthur gies is wearing that.

wouldnt be surprised if timdog is in that pic somewhere. iirc he mentioned speaking with penello at one of these things. same goes for senjustsu sage who spoke with a scorpio engineer. im sure colbert has earned himself an invitation this year lol

yeah thats where i got the pics from.

the funny thing is that this confirms that MS flies in a bunch of their fans to their conferences to applaud their weak announcements. i dont think any journalist not named arthur gies is wearing that.

wouldnt be surprised if timdog is in that pic somewhere. iirc he mentioned speaking with penello at one of these things. same goes for senjustsu sage who spoke with a scorpio engineer. im sure colbert has earned himself an invitation this year lol
He will write them all poems 😂

Mriverz

15 more pages!!! What will happen in this span o_o. Will we get info? Will the masses revolt at Sony Hq? Will new insiders try and take the glory? Stay tuned!!

This cube from the movie Insurgent reminds me of something. Looks like a futuristic Xbox or something.
AR2MyEG.jpg

AR2MyEG.jpg

Last edited:

Did you take a tour of a studio or something? How else are you seeing a game is run in development unless you're one of the developers?

Game 000000 O. “Newer tools are much more refined for Sony’s machine. XseX is slightly ahead in Spec on new gdk.” They do not have final PSV Development kit and the person I know that has access to it won’t talk about it. Asked about numbers “12.2/12.4 not exactly numbers that is how minimal the difference is.” As far as the game, I’ll write up what I just saw and talked about when I’m not on my phone.

Is this dev kit or target spec numbers? If this is just a reference on how close they are (.2 difference) then the gap is inconsistent with your previous numbers (11.6 and 12.4). Unless one of them caught up....but none of this is clear in your posts.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Did you take a tour of a studio or something? How else are you seeing a game is run in development unless you're one of the developers?

Is this dev kit or target spec numbers? If this is just a reference on how close they are (.2 difference) then the gap is inconsistent with your previous numbers (11.6 and 12.4). Unless one of them caught up....but none of this is clear in your posts.
Yes

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Sony catch up or vice versa, honestly?

Realistically, I don't perceive a scenario where Sony and Microsoft somehow *didn't know* or highly anticipate roughly what each other's system capabilities were gonna be. I'm sure both of them planned wiggle room accordingly.

I think there is only one feature wherein a console may have a clear advantage and that is Sony's SSD technology. Even then, I don't think it'll be an end-all, be-all edge.

GPU, CPU and RAM I'm pretty sure will be identical or close enough to be a non-factor by the time the final kits hit around E3.

To me, if final kits are under severe lock and key right now? That tells me, currently, only first-party or *extremely* prominent third party studios have them.

this thread is comical.

*one person says something remotely positive about xbox*

*endless stream of Sony fanboys*
“lol, fucking xbots, they are like a cult!!”

ect for 15 pages

okay, so you think that lockhart has one that maxes out at 3.7 ... which is the next one up from there? if Lockhart can do 3.7GB/s and the series X has a faster controller is it realistic to think that that SSD can then only do 3.8GB/s? that doesn't sound very likely does it?

Dunno; haven't seen Phison's memory controller chart in a while so can't recall what the other choices were. I'm guessing MS would want to try having an SSD that's at least as fast as Sony's, but I'm just thinking about the custom NAND cache. That depends on how the systems are really doing the implementation though.

I'm personally thinking they'll both have a custom daughterboard with the NAND cache on it maybe as a SSD M.2 form factor (or cartridge enclosure) you can just swap in and out plugging in like a cartridge, which will be the faster drive, and a slot for user-optional 3rd-party drives but on slower access. The custom cache could be replaceable with a 1st-party drive which, if they're using TLC or QLC NAND, might be important for power users who install and uninstall tons of data because those type of NAND have lower endurance levels and quick degradation of performance the longer they're used.

Can't see why both of them can't offer between 6-8 GB/s bandwidth for the custom drive; the CPUs should support at least 16 PCIe 4.0 lanes, so they'd only be using 3 to 4 lanes for the custom drive. And the user-optional slot for 3rd-party drives doesn't need to be that fast, 2 GB/s is probably enough, 4 GB/s at most. So 1-2 extra PCIe 4.0 lanes. 4-6 lanes used at most out of minimum 16 (assuming the CPUs are based around the 4800U mobile chip and that supports at least 16 PCIe 4.0 lanes; the desktop versions support 24).

OsirisBlack

Banned

Realistically, I don't perceive a scenario where Sony and Microsoft somehow *didn't know* or highly anticipate roughly what each other's system capabilities were gonna be. I'm sure both of them planned wiggle room accordingly.

I think there is only one feature wherein a console may have a clear advantage and that is Sony's SSD technology. Even then, I don't think it'll be an end-all, be-all edge.

GPU, CPU and RAM I'm pretty sure will be identical or close enough to be a non-factor by the time the final kits hit around E3.

To me, if final kits are under severe lock and key right now? That tells me, currently, only first-party or *extremely* prominent third party studios have them.
The only people that I know that have access to them are both companies first party studios.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

They both know what hardware is available at any given point in time, no doubt. But if one targets 399 and the other 499, there is no way that they are going to end up at the same specs. And if one has a $100 higher budget, it's going to show in a substantially more powerful APU, in more RAM, more SSD storage or all of the above. If Sony uses a special SSD technology (I doubt it since they are sourcing their NAND from Samsung like Microsoft) that would come at a cost. Which would cut into their remaining budget. You can't have it all. So faster SSD = less RAM or less powerful APU. But if they were targeting 399 (and that they are worried about BOM reaching $450 suggests that they were) and use a special SSD - you can be damn sure that they will have around $120 less to play with regarding APU and RAM. The rest of the systems will be pretty much identical, these are the three parts that are different between them. Of course Xbox could target 399 as well. But that doesn't make a lot of sense with the whole two SKU strategy.

SlimySnake

this thread is comical.

*one person says something remotely positive about xbox*

*endless stream of Sony fanboys*

ect for 15 pages
you spelled cunt wrong.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't understand is that if the difference is so minimal then why is the BOM of the XSX more expensive when it's the PS5 that uses an unconventional cooling system and custom SSD?

bitbydeath

What I don't understand is that if the difference is so minimal then why is the BOM of the XSX more expensive when it's the PS5 that uses an unconventional cooling system and custom SSD?

The same article also mentioned PS5 costing more (possibly due to modifications they make on top of the BOM) and Sony needing to try match Xbox RRP. 🤷‍♂️

Or it was all just guesstimates.

Kobi

Game 000000 O. “Newer tools are much more refined for Sony’s machine. XseX is slightly ahead in Spec on new gdk.” They do not have final PSV Development kit and the person I know that has access to it won’t talk about it. Asked about numbers “12.2/12.4 not exactly numbers that is how minimal the difference is.” As far as the game, I’ll write up what I just saw and talked about when I’m not on my phone.

Just a little clarification. Hopefully this makes sense to you haha. So let's say hypothetically that each console gets 4 versions of their devkits. The 4th being the final version. Do you mean XsX has just released their 3rd one(slightly ahead of Sony's 3rd one) and Sony have some of their final ones out, but the guy you know that has access to it isn't saying anything yet?

So we can also expected a final version of the XsX in the coming months, or is their current one their final one?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah I've still been entertaining a future Oberon stepping that might have an extra block of CUs on it. Either 48 or 54 (the latter is a clean tripling of 18). And FWIW, Arden was in that Github leak and somewhat fits the naming scheme, it just has not had any further benchmarks uncovered that we know of.

So I guess all we need is a future GPU benchmark leak/datamine reflecting/confirming all this and we'd be peachy good. Would probably still be named Oberon but could be Arden I guess (assuming Arden is related to PS5; IIRC Arden isn't a Shakespear character but there've been a series of modern-ish books published in the Arden Shakespear line dating back to 1995).

I think D darkinstinct 's question about the 2GHz clocks and clocks for regression testing is still valid but it's possible they were just trying to push that version of Oberon to get near a performance target while waiting for more mature silicon. So it's possible the Oberon steppings so far are max 40CU chips but there's been a later stepping or revision with more CUs on it coming down the production line after those. Not sure if it would still be called Oberon or something else however (I mean, wouldn't a chip with revisions that big be classified under a different name?).

I believe both are using Radeon VII chip as a platform (and that's why it's been discontinued very quickly), Xbox with 56 CU (4 deactivated) and Sony 54 CU (4 deactivated with more room for RT or Sound tracing). Probably that what made numbers like 14.2TF, 13.8TF floating around more than a year for the PS5, more likely as well they were testing how far they can push it. Plus the HBM2 speculations, I won't let that out as Sony could gamble and put that in as it should be cooler and more capable as HBM2 and GDDR6 are closer to each in terms of pricing lately as I've read. It can as well that Sony stroke a deal and salvaged them cheaper as plans for next gen started earlier than Xbox.

Only speculation any, a more professional person would debunk or approve such thoughts.

SlimySnake

Well, why do you think MS keeps saying that the Xbox Series X/Project Scarlett is the most powerful console THEY have ever built. they know both systems are close like EVERYONE in the industry says and this is going to go down to the wire. they will continue to increase clocks leading up to launch like they did last gen.

ANIMAL1975

No one has the real or final specs of none of the machines, no big leaks like this gen hack... and this guys would know the Bom of the actual components inside, yeh sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom