• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niked

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack

Please tell us more about the game ❤

Also, have I understood it right that final Xbox dev kit is out (3rd version) and PS5 dev kit version 3 is only in first party hands and stronger than dev kit Xbox?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is this dev kit or target spec numbers? If this is just a reference on how close they are (.2 difference) then the gap is inconsistent with your previous numbers (11.6 and 12.4). Unless one of them caught up....but none of this is clear in your posts.

To be honest, they might be endangering somebody, which is not good. I think it's really 12.2 vs 12.4 but later on they threw some mud to the mix. I just hope this doesn't hurt any of their friends.

I was hinting that when the consoles launch the XsX would be more powerful and have stayed the course.

People under estimate the leaks of a month or two ago where numbers were at that time how much more mature the PS5 DKs were compared to XsX.

Just using examples here.

I don't put much stock into DK2 PS5 being strong then DK1 XsX

sorry man, i just cannot see sony letting the power go, i might be typing this in denial i just can't see it happening.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Absolutely 100%. But this game and Horizon get a lot of flack, and I can’t see it.

Now MS games do as well, but with some of their titles (recore!) I CAN see it.

But these...? No. Brilliant games.

Flack? From trolls not the majority. God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the highest rated games this Gen surely you can't compare the likes of SOT, Recore and Crackdown 3, which all get slack due to their mediocre gameplay tht has been reflected in their scores. It's like saying Forza gets flack sometimes but who cares we all know it's quality.

Last edited:
Absolutely 100%. But this game and Horizon get a lot of flack, and I can’t see it.

Now MS games do as well, but with some of their titles (recore!) I CAN see it.

But these...? No. Brilliant games.
I'm a Big fan of HZD and really like what I've played so far for GoW. HZD side quests need some help however. GoW is a fantastic narrative driven game. TLOU on the other hand was a bore, although I would like to give TLOU2 a shot unless I find that it's more of the same. It's one thing to have a great narritive but if the gameplay is mediocre, it's a mediocre game.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Flack? From trolls not the majority. God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the highest rated games this Gen surely you can't compare the likes of SOT, Recore and Crackdown 3, which all get slack due to their mediocre gameplay tht has been reflected in their scores. It's like saying Forza gets flack sometimes but who cares we all know it's quality.

Sea of Thieves is legit one of the best multiplayer experiences this generation, so I don’t know what you're on about.

TLZ

Banned
Or maybe Sony is waiting this topic to reach 1000, quick, bring Tim back.

giphy.gif

M-V2

I know many would disagree with my take but what IF Sony wants to undercut MS when they reveal their price at $500 then Sony comes out & say hey this is the PS5 the more powerful console at $450 with a demo that's blow people minds. I can see Sony does such a thing.

It's just my opinion I could be totally wrong tho...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MS makes $30+ billion profit per year.

If MS really wants to go after unit sales, they got the budget to do it.

If MS wanted to subsidize 50 million units at $200 each, that's only $10 billion over 5 years of sales. In that same 5 years, MS would probably make profit of up to $200 billion. Even 100 million units is only $20 billion.

I don't see them doing it as they prefer a smaller and more profitable user base of digital sales and subs...... but if they wanted to buy that industrial sized silver stake and drive it into Sony they could.

Last edited:

Disco_

No that came from their sources within Sony, but we'll find out soon enough.
Here's the issue. If you read the article, almost every time the author writes "people in the know" , "sources in the company", "people with knowledge of day to day operations" harks back to the earnings call from early february. Yet the writer words it in a way that suggests this is information given to him by someone not wanting to be named rather than it being 2nd hand information.
The only credible thing in that article is the fancy cooling and that's only because the guys at GN have somewhat confirmed that it is indeed expensive.

The MS war chest is back!

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I know many would disagree with my take but what IF Sony wants to undercut MS when they reveal their price at $500 then Sony comes out & say hey this is the PS5 the more powerful console at $450 with a demo that's blow people minds. I can see Sony does such a thing.

Well, IF the Bloomberg article was correct, I think that Sony likely was targeting the $499 spot and that is now being put into jeopardy with the component issues. I don't see them targeting $599. I CAN see MS targeting that high, especially if they are releasing two boxes (though they don't seem to be, at least not at this time), but I doubt that as well. I'm really all over on this one. People talking about the boxes being even and then some others who've stated surprise that they won't be $800 or more. Just not sure what we'll get. I know it would be FUNNY if they came out and they were both like 9.x TF given all the speculation there has been. I'm just hoping things work out so that they are as powerful as possible and also that they're close in spec so we don't have a repeat of the XB1 vs. PS4 resolution comparisons, etc. Sure, it's a little bit of fun for whatever side has that edge, but really pretty pointless. Also, after going thru that last time, I don't think I'd want to be around anyone who's a fan of Xboxes for AT LEAST a year after such a reveal if it happened to them again! :)

magnumpy

performance is not directly tied to popularity, if it was so very expensive PCs would be the only game in town. popularity is a more complex thing having many factors, such as: brand recognition, cool factor, exclusive software, past experience, obviously cost, etc. etc.

Last edited:

M-V2

Well, IF the Bloomberg article was correct, I think that Sony likely was targeting the $499 spot and that is now being put into jeopardy with the component issues. I don't see them targeting $599. I CAN see MS targeting that high, especially if they are releasing two boxes (though they don't seem to be, at least not at this time), but I doubt that as well. I'm really all over on this one. People talking about the boxes being even and then some others who've stated surprise that they won't be $800 or more. Just not sure what we'll get. I know it would be FUNNY if they came out and they were both like 9.x TF given all the speculation there has been. I'm just hoping things work out so that they are as powerful as possible and also that they're close in spec so we don't have a repeat of the XB1 vs. PS4 resolution comparisons, etc. Sure, it's a little bit of fun for whatever side has that edge, but really pretty pointless. Also, after going thru that last time, I don't think I'd want to be around anyone who's a fan of Xboxes for AT LEAST a year after such a reveal if it happened to them again! :)

Yeah I totally agree, what's interesting is that if both consoles end up being around 10TF, it's not that bad but imo it's not future proof unless they wanna repeat the same shit with a mid gen refresh consoles. I would be so disappointed buying a console at $500 then after 3 years they release a more powerful one at the same price or less.

Disco_

It's more likely they were targeting $399/$449(less likely) with a ~$420 bom. Sony were more than happy to sell ps4 at $399 with ~$381 bom so I'm not sure why they'd all of a sudden decided on a $499 console that only cost them $420.

Last edited:

Quixz

If MS really wants to go after unit sales, they got the budget to do it.

If MS wanted to subsidize 50 million units at $200 each, that's only $10 billion over 5 years of sales. In that same 5 years, MS would probably make profit of up to $200 billion. Even 100 million units is only $20 billion.

I don't see them doing it as they prefer a smaller and more profitable user base of digital sales and subs...... but if they wanted to buy that industrial sized silver stake and drive it into Sony they could.

I doubt share holders would approve.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah I totally agree, what's interesting is that if both consoles end up being around 10TF, it's not that bad but imo it's not future proof unless they wanna repeat the same shit with a mid gen refresh consoles. I would be so disappointed buying a console at $500 then after 3 years they release a more powerful one at the same price or less.

That's true, but I think the companies themselves would be more than happy to dip into our wallets every 3-4 years as opposed to every 7-10. An iterative "series" type approach (sounds familiar, doesn't it?) is a way to do that. So I could see that happening. But you're right...targeting the 'lower end' so to speak is not 'future proofing' the boxes. We shall see!

Sinthor

Gold Member
It's more likely they were targeting $399/$449(less likely) with a ~$420 bom. Sony were more than happy to sell ps4 at $399 with ~$381 bom so I'm not sure why they'd all of a sudden decided on a $499 console that only cost them $420.

This is possible, but it's also possible that the author of the article was speculating that Sony was going for the $399 price and since his info says the costs are higher, that it's a problem. What if they were NOT targeting $399? IF they were targeting higher, then even with this info, they'd still be fine. It's all game theory at this point and we don't know what, if any parts of the rumors and 'rumored news' we're getting are true.

Bottom line, there's a strategy for both companies and they'll execute to that as best as they can. It's no secret that MS has been targeting top of the line power for some time now, especially since the XB1 days. So the real question is what that means and how Sony plans to handle that. Compete for the power crown, or stay in a specific pricing zone? Both? We'll see what happens.

Chromata

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a lot more frequent since they wrote ‘Series’ in the name.

Isn't that going to be expensive? It would make mass production less efficient since you'd be rotating different units and how much would you really want to fragment your userbase?

Mass Shift

No that is not what he said. Why do people have such a hard time reading something.

That has been the norm for just about all speculations that have been shared in one place or another. Someone will share something, something easy to remember and quote. But for some reason it gets misinterpreted and it's meaning changed to fit their paraphase.

And it happens EVERY single time. Even game sites and press engage in it. Just cherry pick from a tiny statement. By the time people are finished the original quote looks unrecognizable. 😂

bitbydeath

Isn't that going to be expensive? It would make mass production less efficient since you'd be rotating different units and how much would you really want to fragment your userbase?

If Sony gets that power crown then MS could react.

Year 1 - XSX
Year 2 - Lockhart
Year 3 - XSX2
Year 4 - Slim models
Etc

I believe both are using Radeon VII chip as a platform (and that's why it's been discontinued very quickly), Xbox with 56 CU (4 deactivated) and Sony 54 CU (4 deactivated with more room for RT or Sound tracing). Probably that what made numbers like 14.2TF, 13.8TF floating around more than a year for the PS5, more likely as well they were testing how far they can push it. Plus the HBM2 speculations, I won't let that out as Sony could gamble and put that in as it should be cooler and more capable as HBM2 and GDDR6 are closer to each in terms of pricing lately as I've read. It can as well that Sony stroke a deal and salvaged them cheaper as plans for next gen started earlier than Xbox.

Only speculation any, a more professional person would debunk or approve such thoughts.

Interesting, but a few caveats. Radeon VII is Vega II IIRC, which is effectively GCN 5. Which would definitely mean in this instance both systems being RDNA1 as RDNA2 has no GCN features and is full-blown Navi. And with that in mind, it makes the TF numbers floating around more difficult to ascertain because they could've been referencing GCN, if the base chips for both systems are the Radeon VII's GPU (in this hypothetical example).

As far as HBM2, I really can't see it. For starters it's probably in less production than HBM2E. There's also the fact that the die complexity and costs would increase to place in the interposer for the memory. Theoretically a system could just do a single stack of 16GB on a 1024-bit bus, but I don't think actual selling prices are at a price per GB competitive with GDDR6 just yet. I know analysts have speculated a per GB price, but both Samsung and SK Hynix have said that clients purchasing theirs so far have been happy with paying premiums. Dunno how much off that premium a company like Sony or MS would get; I would suspect even if willing to give bulk discounts, Samsung and SK Hynix would like to keep some of that premium regardless.

Honestly have no idea how much HBM2 (not HBM2E) is even in production tbh. It's probably not to the amount of HBM2E, for certain, so it would be scarcer and more costly despite being less efficient.

sorry man, i just cannot see sony letting the power go, i might be typing this in denial i just can't see it happening.

Sony's never been about "ze POWWAAHH" historically speaking. PS4 was a bit of a luck out because of how badly MS botched XBO. Other than that, however, they traditionally have never had the out-and-out most powerful system for a given generation.

PS1 suffered in some areas the Saturn and N64 bested it in. PS2 suffered in areas Xbox, Gamecube and even Dreamcast bested it in. PS3 suffered in areas the 360 bested it in. In all cases, rather notable areas, whether it be GPU features, memory amount, bandwidth, CPU speed, etc. The PS4 is an anomaly in that case, and a fair amount of that is thanks to MS losing their focus on developing a gaming-first console that generation.

So while it's possible the PS5 could be "ze mooah POWWAAHFUUL!!", I won't be surprised whatsoever if it isn't, because that would be more in line historically with their systems than not.

Before anyone mentions something about other PS systems launching earlier than competitors, there's a few caveats with that. First is that it isn't actually always true. PS1 and Saturn launched at the same time, for example. PS3 was intended for 2005 but issues with Blu-Ray and Cell being a useful GPU forced a 2006 delay, and even with the delay the RSX GPU wasn't as good as the 360's. PS2 is probably the one example where a PS console launching earlier than competitors can be valid in describing its lesser overall power for that generation, but even in that case there are some things the Dreamcast handles better such as resolution output and deferred rendering, and that was a 1998 system.

Just saying folks shouldn't be that surprised if it goes one way or the other in this case.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Last edited:
I've got this bad feeling that the github leaks are the true final numbers and Sony is trying to use the new cooling system to counteract their high clock speed.

Also, have people debunked the idea that Sony was going hardware route for backwards compatibility and this is the reason why the CU count will be 32 36?

Edit:Those 4Chan specs make no sense when the rumor is that the Series X will be more expensive.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
What's the possibility of MS Releasing new console every 4 years in the series ? like Xbox series X2 or Xbox series S2 with evolving OS like windows 10, So basically i'm saying MS will go with the PC route and end console generations cycle

That's my point. I think that IS the plan. The PS4 Pro and the XB1X were merely the first steps in that direction. If they do that, they can make the "base consoles" cheaper perhaps....maybe $299 or so and then have the box they upgrade periodically in the $399 range. We'll see but that strategy is exactly what I think they're aiming for and the logic behind some of their comments of making these console more 'PC like.'

DaGwaphics

That's my point. I think that IS the plan. The PS4 Pro and the XB1X were merely the first steps in that direction. If they do that, they can make the "base consoles" cheaper perhaps....maybe $299 or so and then have the box they upgrade periodically in the $399 range. We'll see but that strategy is exactly what I think they're aiming for and the logic behind some of their comments of making these console more 'PC like.'

Would be beneficial for all console makers to do that. At least when you look at it from their perspective. Each generation acts as a reset on your services and your install base, sure back compat helps to make things stickier, but there's still that risk every time. A rolling base would eliminate that problem. Not to say there aren't some negative caveats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom