• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethbacca

EihJUIoXkAYI08c

Hasn't the consensus amongst xbox fans for the last year been that exclusives don't sell consoles? Awkwarddddd

TBiddy

Lol. It is ridiculous to downplay such a huge move from Microsoft. But, it’s equally ridiculous to start claiming that XBox will now surge ahead of PlayStation because of it.

People really do lose their minds when big announcements like this are made 😊

Agreed. It's crazy how people are desperately trying to shift the conversation - but then again, we have some very fanatic fanboys on Gaf. On both sides, though.

FALCON_KICK

Sony should start caring about their huge PS2 Library. Sony should start working on PS2 backward compatibility on PS5 with boost mode(Higher FPS and Resolution).

I love how the people who were concerned about Spiderman being exclusive on the Avengers game, are now Cheeering the buy of entire distribuitors and studios, its so funny
Yes, Exclusive games now suddenly matter.

Last edited:

Shio

How about sony move as normal.How about Sony you just promote an internal studio & come out with an IP. How about they work with long term partners & bring them into the company. Instead of overpaying for mid level IP's.

Its a look for xbox. But this is just keeping up appearances. For games you was always going to get.Actually evaluate what is bought here. 7.5 billion is an L. We are not talking about couple 100 mill gaming studios here. Now its billions it has to get compared to other billion dollar deals. Xbox spent billions on minecraft they are still 3rd place & still not making PS level revenue. Just sit on that. This Bethesda deal cost double what Disney payed for Marvel. The deal is 500million short of What Disney paid for Marvel & Star wars.

Bethesda=7.5 bill ---- Marvel + Star wars=8 bill. Now sit there & tell me this a good deal?? When Xbox don't even make that revenue/profit yearly. Year on year decline subs, sales.This shit looks goofy. Lets keep the honesty.The games are mid ,none of Bethesda's roster is in convo of top generational games. If your not top you are bottom or mid. And mid is where those games sits. There is not 1 studio at bethesda that is on insomniac level. And they cost 225million. Per studio & per IP you have over payed drastically.

I don't know. I just see this as keeping up appearances for twitter & media. Longer term there's going to be big problems.Your relying on customers you don't have. Your not going to be spending AAA budgets & subsidise it for $1-15 dollar. Netflix debt is clear example why.Something is going on to warrant this purchase. People that buy IP's,Masters,scripts. Nobody with sound mind would buy Beth at this price. For MS to go & overspend on this means somethings going on behind the scenes. That they had to do this. Also that price means there was other bidders.Its ridiculously high for what you get.

Its interesting its great pressure especially when they make the shit exclusive ,but its the same dance as always. Its even worse at least before it was grounded,& bleeding edge,gears now its going to be at a cost of a decent IP dying. You cant avoid head to heads. In 2-3 years wolfenstein /doom /starfield whatever mid shit is gonna have to deal with Spiderman 2 ,new IP's and PS hype. And we know how that plays out.
From a development perspective, if you look at time involved between programming (code) and animation/modelling/texturing (graphics) then the majority of the time (mostly) is taken by the graphics. If you start reducing the budget of a game, the first thing that is going to take a hit is the graphics. The engine, the code will mostly stay the same either way, its the graphics that see the most change. The lower the budget goes then generally the lower quality of textures, 3d models, animation, voice/movie work etc. I am sure they could have made the same game as Demons Souls PS5 for a lower cost if they decided not to do the high quality textures, animations, effects etc. What i am trying to say is that (i am sure you are well aware) the budget of a game mostly dictates its graphics, that is why generally indie games tend to have lower 3d graphics to so called AAA type. As Sony and Microsoft are both businesses they have to factor into account how much they will spend for what return and if they think they will not get that return then they will spend less and less until they can make it work financially. What this means is that, i feel personally that the budget of games going forward will be affected by the new model coming into effect, gamepass. Sure there will be some stunners but not every 1st party game can be given the same large budget. As most next-gen users are all about graphics then they will be dissapointed. The hardware is more than capable but only if the budget allows. Sony have increased prices (am not happy about this) but if that allows a larger budget, resulting in higher quality games then is that acceptable?, imagine if you could choose hypothetically, before a game is produced Sony show you a picture of Demons Souls from PS3 then from PS5, they tell you if we make it look like PS3, it will be 50, if it will be like PS5 it will be 70, which version would be all choose?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's the next great hope for MS fanboys. No release date, trailer or screenshot, due sometime between 2022-2025, may or may not be console exclusive, will be on PC day 1 :messenger_sunglasses:

Seriously I had honestly not heard of this game until yesterday.
That's a pretty ridiculous way to describe Starfield.

It's Bethesda's next big secretive RPG project... "Skyrim in Space" is what people are hoping it will be.. Skyrim being one of the best selling games ever.

Bethesda has certainly turned some people off as of late but there's far more hope for Starfield than Xbox fanboys.

Shio

This acquisition won't have a major impact for another 4-5 years, people need to chill.
Whilst that is true, deals and decisions can take a long time to come to fruition. If we make alot of noise now maybe sony somewhere will listen and then can start to make deals, decisions which could also result in benefits n 4-5 years down the line otherwise if we do nothing they will take us for granted and do nothing, then in 4-5 years we all will be in a worse off position.

Neo Blaster

Sony needs to expand or they won’t be able to compete with the amount of yearly releases from Xbox studios from 2023 onward.

But because it’s Sony, I expect them to do nothing and complain latter.
Don't forget all these games need money to be made, MS already spent billions just for the acquisition. If the majority of them means low quality MT-infested Gamepass fodder, then Sony shouldn't be worried at all.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Im suprised Microsoft is the first company out of the plattform holders to realize that you need to expand their gaming studios and portfolio in a big way.

I remember clearly when Nintendo had so and so billions just sitting around in the Wii gen and not investing them into studios outside of their kiddy games to appeal to a different demographic. I was certain they would invest in new studios, yet it did not happen.

Sony is very slow in this regard as well. They could have easily be owners of FromSoftware and Atlus years ago. They now need to invest a lot of money to protect their position.

I disagree and Sony should absolutely be worried.
Sony definitely needs to react to this. You dont wait, when a publisher just got bought, even if said publisher will still release games on your plattform for the foreseeable future. It will always be a sword hanging over their head.

RookX22

Speaking of ps classics I would love a twisted metal open world game like a mix of mad max and sea of thieves. You can roll out by yourself or in multiplayer. Have other players in there with open world car combat pvp and ai enemies you have to fight to do missions.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
There are still pre-orders available for XBox One X..... wow.

I expected better sales than this, maybe they really are boned.
Oh really? Please tell me how many were available, and at the same time let me know the amount of consoles Sony have available

From a development perspective, if you look at time involved between programming (code) and animation/modelling/texturing (graphics) then the majority of the time (mostly) is taken by the graphics. If you start reducing the budget of a game, the first thing that is going to take a hit is the graphics. The engine, the code will mostly stay the same either way, its the graphics that see the most change. The lower the budget goes then generally the lower quality of textures, 3d models, animation, voice/movie work etc. I am sure they could have made the same game as Demons Souls PS5 for a lower cost if they decided not to do the high quality textures, animations, effects etc. What i am trying to say is that (i am sure you are well aware) the budget of a game mostly dictates its graphics, that is why generally indie games tend to have lower 3d graphics to so called AAA type. As Sony and Microsoft are both businesses they have to factor into account how much they will spend for what return and if they think they will not get that return then they will spend less and less until they can make it work financially. What this means is that, i feel personally that the budget of games going forward will be affected by the new model coming into effect, gamepass. Sure there will be some stunners but not every 1st party game can be given the same large budget. As most next-gen users are all about graphics then they will be dissapointed. The hardware is more than capable but only if the budget allows. Sony have increased prices (am not happy about this) but if that allows a larger budget, resulting in higher quality games then is that acceptable?, imagine if you could choose hypothetically, before a game is produced Sony show you a picture of Demons Souls from PS3 then from PS5, they tell you if we make it look like PS3, it will be 50, if it will be like PS5 it will be 70, which version would be all choose?
I believe MS will subsidize first party studios so that their budget won’t tie to the gamepass revenue. At least in the next three years. I have high hopes for the wave of 1st party games from MS in 2023, when I pick up RTX5080.

Having had time to sleep on it, I think the news from yesterday has pretty much confirmed I'll pick up a Series S in a year or two.
I was kind of tempted anyway, so once you add this into it, and the fact that most of the big hitters from MS and Bethesda will likely not be hitting for a year or two anyway means I can grab the PS5 now and then the Xbox later in the generation.

Also interesting to see that at least for the UK, the Xbox pre-orders were much easier to get than the PS5 ones. Of course, it is hard to tell if that is because it was actually organised well, if it was because there is more stock available, or if it was because interest is that much lower.

Neo Blaster

MS buying Bathesda is huge, but personally speaking it doesn't do much to me, only game i'm looking forward from Bathesda is TES6 and it's not coming anytime soon (i F love Skyrim Hardcore, and loved Oblivion as well), they have other cool games but nothing crazy kind of games i usually wait for price drop like Doom.

That being said, it's insane that MS can pay 2B$ for Minecraft and 7.5B for Bathesda, but couldn't even put more 20 millions $ on a Killer Instinct game, fans has been begging since ages for a new game and only thing MS could do is a AA game with 5 characters at launch... I mean it shouldn't surprise me from MS at this point, but still ... guess it's just MS being MS as usual.
It's 360 era scalated, they bought exclusivities then, now they buy entire studios.

zaitsu

Banned
Summing up my 2 latest posts :
Allegro biggest online retailer in Poland- 48M country in central Europe (think Amazon) in 5 hours from preorders have started :
●sold around 300 XSX from initial 1400
●sold around 30 XSS from initial 400

Allegro didn't handled PS5 preorders, second biggest retailer did : MediaMarkt we have no exact number but in the same 5 hours time until they deleted number of PS5 bought the number was 40.000, and they maintain open preorders for another day.

It means 2 things :
- xbox brand is very weak in Poland
- initial numbers are low because MS knows that there is no high interest, or they have very little consoles globally.
B2xBXL7.jpg

dLdviH7.jpg

Last edited:
Today I am depressed to see that my games of Spiderman on PS4 will not be able to take advantage of them on PS5, I hope the same will not happen with Tsushima or TLOU2, because otherwise, seriously, in my opinion, and looking at the latest events (Bethesda, IG, prices of games and accessories, reservations, etc.), if we did not take into consideration the chip "Cell" (present in PS5 too in some way) and the difficulty of development that it entailed, we could say that it seems that Sony is returning to the time of PS3.

If PS5 fails I will begin to think that the Cell is the Phill Garrison of microprocessors. Wherever it goes, it fails.

@Bo_Hazem , have you thought about buying TakeTwo for Sony with the change that you get back from buying a HappyMeal?
The only trace of the CELL architecture in the ps5 is the Tempest Engine and that's just the audio chip. Everything else barely shows any traces of that architecture in its dna. In fact the company that makes it harder for developers to easily get to grips with the architectures' features, is the one who introduces more abstraction layers into their system. I'll let people figure this out by themselves.

scie

The problem is that a lot of people don't understand that if a company wins that it'll be only a short win for consumers.... For example Microsoft winning with Gamepass would only be a short win for consumers, because at the moment consumers get games super cheap, but long term will be higher prices or mediocre games. Same for Sony... If Sony had no real compition it would be good for consumers short term. They would get all games on just one platform, but long term they will suffer too from higher prices and stagnating tech. Therefore we need a healthy compation between Microsoft and Sony that they both get their balls straight and push themselves with tech, games and services!

Of course it sucks at the moment that game a is only on PS5 and game b only on XSX, but long term it helps us consumers!

RaZoR No1

Fun fact:

Xbox is not very popular in Germany.
This
Plus nearly nobody I know buys directly there.
Most of them buy from Amazon (XSX sold out) or Media Markt (XSX sold out there, too) etc.
It is normal to expect, that most of the gamers which pro orders consoles, will choose the XSX.
XSS will be mostly for the "gift/christmas/2nd console buyers" where money is a bigger factor than the power/features.
Therefore I personally never expected that all XSS are sold out.

What I'd like to know is, how many here forced themself to buy the PS5 DE, because the PS5 Disc Version was sold out

Having had time to sleep on it, I think the news from yesterday has pretty much confirmed I'll pick up a Series S in a year or two.
I was kind of tempted anyway, so once you add this into it, and the fact that most of the big hitters from MS and Bethesda will likely not be hitting for a year or two anyway means I can grab the PS5 now and then the Xbox later in the generation.

Also interesting to see that at least for the UK, the Xbox pre-orders were much easier to get than the PS5 ones. Of course, it is hard to tell if that is because it was actually organised well, if it was because there is more stock available, or if it was because interest is that much lower.
people usually overrate future value. Thus I don’t think XSS will be successful without a further price cut. People are more likely to bite the bullet and get a XSX for “future proofing”. Just my personal opinion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom