• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Actually. It's not that tricky, Driveclub has racetrack type environments as well, which is the closest you can get for comparable scenarios. These tracks are never selected for these sorts of comparisons though, because they're not the best looking that the game offers. Which is fine, but neither are the bland race tracks in FM6. The best trackside details for that game would be some of its fictional track layouts such as Rio or Prague etc. Comparing an area of Driveclub in a gif with large close by trackside details like huge trees, rocky mountains etc, to a race track environment of FM6 where there's nothing on either side of the course but a mile of grass is far from the best comparison that could be made between the two.

Are you sure?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=borC9k3dMbc#t=40s

What people fail to realize is that it's not the track that makes DC look better. Its EVERYTHING.

It's just cherry picking, they aren't doctored. Anyone can choose a track, car, lighting setting etc and make any game look bad compared to another game where you choose the track, car, lighting setting etc which make the game look bad. It's like using the photo mode but instead of saving the shots that you think look great you only save the ones you think look bad, just for... fun... or whatever. The most unbiased comparisons might be comparing the games from the pics in the photo threads, at least then all games are shown at it's best. But I guess this thread is about how the games look in gameplay.

Video comparisons are better but you can still do some cherry picking because lol why did they make FM6 run at like 15 fps in that video? Makes zero sense and I'm just laughing at the whole thing here, just play the game, it might not look like DC in stillpics but it looks phenomenal in motion.

I actually did an A-B comparison with Driveclub and Forza 6, switching hdmi inputs with the remote, when taking the photos in my last post when talking about the realistic dullness in DC. My take from that comparison is that the differences are not night and day as some say here, that only happens when you look at the framerates where FM6 obviously makes DC look like a stuttery mess, or when you're driving in the rain where DC obviously slaughters FM6 since the rain effects in DC is extreme well done. The best looking courses, cars, lighting conditions, etc in both games make them both look amazing. Personally I think FM6 looks a bit too close to DC considering it's 60fps, but until we see DC running with unlocked framerate we really don't know how far ahead DC really is, if it runs at like 45fps unlocked in the rain then FM6 isn't quite as impressive in 60fps from my point of view.

Again, we have two independent comparison videos and they are both cherry picked? I invite people to post a more "fair" video to Forza.

Personally I think FM6 looks a bit too close to DC considering it's 60fps, but until we see DC running with unlocked framerate we really don't know how far ahead DC really is, if it runs at like 45fps unlocked in the rain then FM6 isn't quite as impressive in 60fps from my point of view.

Having seen some of the rain footage from bumper cam it certainly looks better than what's being shown here. It's not quite there but I assume that's down to baked lighting again but as mentioned it's doing all that at 60FPS compared to DC running at 30. If they did offer an unlocked frame rate just for shits and giggles it would be interesting to see what DC runs at when being pushed to the max.

airjoca

Driveclub environment...

CPlMVDBUAAAatWD.jpg:large

Mr Moose

I actually did an A-B comparison with Driveclub and Forza 6, switching hdmi inputs with the remote, when taking the photos in my last post when talking about the realistic dullness in DC.

You probably should use the consoles screenshot functions instead of off screen phone shots, they will look much better.

How come this image is not getting beat to death for it's floating effects?

Also I think part of what helps DC look good in the gifs and comparisons is that it has a lower more behind the car view whereas F6 has a higher view. The higher viewpoint hides the shadows and wheels more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qB-MK6wVo

I'd argue that the view from inside the car does Forza much more justice than the chase cam, where the lightning seems a bit off.

And yes, I know I talked against the use of GIFs earlier, but still:

dsj4Ubk.gif

Agreed that Forza looks much better from cockpit view (the only view that matters to me).
There is something that really makes chase cam look off. Still, both comparisons are valid IMO.

leng jai

I also noticed that chase cam looks awful in Forza 6. Something about the car itself just looks bad. Thankfully the cockpit view is sublime.

Mabufu

Banned
Because of all these, i couldn't make out the detail of those foliage effects during gameplay, unless there's something i don't get. Every tree looked to me like a patch of blurry pixels, pretty much like every 30fps racing game.

I actually agree with this. The IQ of the game harms the foliage hard, even if they look amazing in static close shots.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
How come this image is not getting beat to death for it's floating effects?

Also I think part of what helps DC look good in the gifs and comparisons is that it has a lower more behind the car view whereas F6 has a higher view. The higher viewpoint hides the shadows and wheels more.

Probably because that gif is the perfect example of how cars in DC have a real sense of weight. Clearly you're seeing something most people aren't.

TBiddy

Agreed that Forza looks much better from cockpit view (the only view that matters to me).
There is something that really makes chase cam look off. Still, both comparisons are valid IMO.

Agreed about the chase cam. I'm not quite sure what it is, but the difference is big there, which is odd, considering FM6 is a great looking game in most areas (as seen in the video I linked).

Probably because that gif is the perfect example of how cars in DC have a real sense of weight. Clearly you're seeing something most people aren't.

Yes, the car hovering. I've called the floaty-ness out before (the Pagani gif that was doing the rounds last year on the same stretch of track suffers from the exact same effect).

dr guildo

Dirt Rally also have something like that. It's bloody awesome.

KhUAIQE.jpg

Pikes_405_8_A.jpg

According to DC's fact sheet, the game is capable of pushing up to 200km of scope :

location has a draw distance of up to 200km to the horizon and even simulates the curvature of the earth in both skies and terrain. Distant landscapes are built out and fully modelled, instead of ‘painted on’, to ensure that they support the dynamic, volumetric nature of the skies and lighting.

blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes, the car hovering. I've called the floaty-ness out before (the Pagani gif that was doing the rounds last year on the same stretch of track suffers from the exact same effect).

What are you talking about? That gif shows quite clearly how DC has a sense of weight. Are you sure you're looking at the right gif? You really can't see how heavy this car is? 'On' the road isn't the word. One gets the impression that on a hot day it would have torn up the tarmac:

th4tguy

It's so odd because for the longest time, I thought Project cars was such a graphical powerhouse but looking at it compared to DC and Forza 6, it just looks so flat and lacking. I really need to put some more time into DC. It's such a marvel.

Aceofspades

Banned
Yeah, we shouldn't use gifs because coincidentally they always make DC look much better.

Heh, F6 has the most to gain from those tiny gifs.

Argument has always been like this:

Gifs make DC look better, you should use video.

Then someone upload a video comparison where DC destroys everything in PC and F6: video doesn't show F6 in full glory 60fps!

Another upload a 60fps comparison of DC and F6: its cheery picked! F6 looks much better

Some people will never accept that DC is the better looking game and not by a small margin (generational difference really)

Honestly, as a child being completely stoked playing Space Invaders on an arcade machine in 1980 the first time, I would have never thought I would see graphics such as Driveclubs in my lifetime..

And I am only 40 now..

Wow, just wow...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Heh, F6 has the most to gain from those tiny gifs.

Argument has always been like this:

Gifs make DC look better, you should use video.

Then someone upload a video comparison where DC destroys everything in PC and F6: video doesn't show F6 in full glory 60fps!

Another upload a 60fps comparison of DC and F6: its cheery picked! F6 looks much better

Some people will never accept that DC is the better looking game and not by a small margin (generational difference really)

It's gotten to a point where debating on forums doesn't seem enough. I literally want to go around to their houses and physically shake them lol.

Aceofspades

Banned
It's gotten to a point where debating on forums doesn't seem enough. I literally want to go around to their houses and physically shake them lol.

That would never work either, when you reach a point of dissmissing the evident presented in front of your eyes, nothing will convince you.

Does that rain effect turn down? You cannot see shit. The D6 looks much more realistic in this view.

DC weather effects are very over the top. It's a style issue and I guess lots of folks like that, it's an arcade racer after all. I like the weather effects except at night - when the rain looks like it's lit by a searchlight on top of your car. For more sim-like games such as Forza I prefer a realistic approach, but night aside I like DC's bonkers weather.

TBiddy

Does that rain effect turn down? You cannot see shit. The D6 looks much more realistic in this view.

Can't say for sure, but I'd argue that they have two different artistic styles. Which one you prefer is up to you.

Also, what's up with the passive aggressivenes in the last few posts?

I have now played both, Driveclub for a lot longer than Forza because I only just got that on Monday. Driveclub does look better I agree, but for some reason I could never get on with the cockpit view in that game (even though that's the view I always use in racing games,) where as in Forza that's the only view I'm using. I also did an indycar race in Forza that just felt so fucking fast it was crazy, it was a much greater sense of speed than I had ever felt in my fifty or so hours in Driveclub. I assume that's the benefit of the 60fps. So they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are plagued by a lack of aa that's disappointing, I can live with it, but it's bad on both.

At the minute if I had to choose on looks and fluidity alone, I would go with Forza, it just feels great at 60, I can live without the bells and whistles. It's such a huge difference. I wish both were on pc so I could just throw more horsepower at them and get the jaggies to go away and bump DC up to 60.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That would never work either, when you reach a point of dissmissing the evident presented in front of your eyes, nothing will convince you.

Yep. Even when the patch hits and DC looks even better, it will continue. The thing that drives me nuts though is the fact that admitting DC looks better in no way changes the fact that Forza 6 looks like a great game to play. Black and white or NOTHING!

T.O.P

Banned

Yeah both rain and snow changes

When light on both it's pretty doable even at night, but when on heavy precipitaion you better know the track like your pocket, otherwise rip

TBiddy

Yep. Even when the patch hits and DC looks even better, it will continue. The thing that drives me nuts though is the fact that admitting DC looks better in no way changes the fact that Forza 6 looks like a great game to play. Black and white or NOTHING!

Out of curiousity - who's disagreeing with the notion that DC looks better than FM6?

Three

Agreed about the chase cam. I'm not quite sure what it is, but the difference is big there, which is odd, considering FM6 is a great looking game in most areas (as seen in the video I linked).

I also noticed that chase cam looks awful in Forza 6. Something about the car itself just looks bad. Thankfully the cockpit view is sublime.

Forza 6 like all previous forzas has poor lighting effects that's why chasecam looks bad. There is no AO and on an overcast day it looks awful because the standard shadow is not there either. The spray with no particle shadows make the underside of the car look bright too.

d9b

Banned
Driveclub looks like what you would expect Next Gen driving game to look like.
Forza6 is half way there, the other half is still stuck in the last gen (baked light and other oddities). Just my opinion.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Out of curiousity - who's disagreeing with the notion that DC looks better than FM6?

Those who keep questioning the validity of gifs, the quality of Youtube, the 30fps Youtube videos and other such things. Whether they aren't necessarily saying Forza 6 looks better, they are in some way trying to artificially level the playing field. Forza 6 looks great and from what I've seen and read plays great too. We need to wait for a new racing game to release before we continue because the debate is finished as far as Forza 6 V DC is concerned.

Grassy

Nah, it really isn't a generation ahead. I say that as someone who owns Forza 6 and Driveclub. I highly doubt anyone here has ever said Forza 6 looks better than Driveclub either, some people just need to calm down with the Driveclub circle-jerking.

TBiddy

It just seems that a few people are having a hard time accepting different opinions and are busy downplaying those that have the audacity to disagree.

Those who keep questioning the validity of gifs, the quality of Youtube, the 30fps Youtube videos and other such things. Whether they aren't necessarily saying Forza 6 looks better, they are in some way trying to artificially level the playing field. Forza 6 looks great and from what I've seen and read plays great too. We need to wait for a new racing game to release before we continue because the debate is finished as far as Forza 6 V DC is concerned.

So you're referring to me, then. Feel free to drop by and 'shake me'. I haven't seen a single person saying that FM6 looks better than DC in this thread, though.

I'm just pointing out, that using 15 fps low quality gifs as evidence for one thing or another is silly. Post videos and let's use them for comparison instead.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It just seems that a few people are having a hard time accepting different opinions and are busy downplaying those that have the audacity to disagree.

So you're referring to me, then. Feel free to drop by and 'shake me'. I haven't seen a single person saying that FM6 looks better than DC in this thread, though.

I'm just pointing out, that using 15 fps low quality gifs as evidence for one thing or another is silly. Post videos and let's use them for comparison instead.

We have seen videos and we have seen screen shots. It's finished, it's over, DC 'looks' better in every way. That's not an exaggeration.

TBiddy

We have seen videos and we have seen screen shots. It's finished, it's over, DC 'looks' better in every way. That's not an exaggeration.

Again - no one is disagreeing, from what I've seen. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's finished, it's over". You make it sound like it's a competition of some sort.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I remember being massively under whelmed by Drive Club when I first played it. The earlier, busier tracks in bright daylight do not highlight how good the game can look. Aliasing everywhere, shit texture filtering like most console games, blah. Comes together during rain/snow/darkness where the dynamic lighting comes to life and the image is covered in blurry post processing shit to hide aliasing and texture blemishes.

I don't really understand the rampant comparisons to Forza 6 though. Drive Club does look better (though "generation difference" is stretching it), but that's to be expected when it's presented at running at half the fucking framerate, and the former is on a console that struggles to hit 1080p let alone at 60fps.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Again - no one is disagreeing, from what I've seen. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's finished, it's over". You make it sound like it's a competition of some sort.

No it's not a competition, it's page after page after page of proof, counter excuse, proof counter excuse. When I say 'it's finished, it's over,' I'm referring to THAT particular tooing and froing.

MilkyJoe

Except when there are no weather or lighting effects, then it looks a bit shite. I have made this claim before, so stopped into my local Game on Saturday to have another go, and yep, no weather and low angle lighting and it looks a bit pants compared to the gifs and vids thrown around.

niuls0dtq80f8880ver6.jpg

timlot

Banned

I'm sorry, but these gifs are just shocking. I'm some what of a defender of Forza, but that difference is hard to defend. Yeah, we spout about the technical differences (30fps vs 60fps) which do matter, but DC has been out for a year. You mean to tell me Turn 10 didn't study what Evolution has done? I'm sure if Greenawalt saw that gif he would say, "guys we need to do better".

My sentiments simple echo the early impressions review of Forza 6 that Eurogamer had when they said, "Forza Motorsport 6 often seems to have been made in its own bubble, even if it is acutely aware of its predecessors' mistakes."

Yes, its a worlds better game than Forza 5, but there have been other racing games that have come out since then that are doing alot of things from sound to graphics better. It seems Turn10 just turned a blinded eye added Forza 4 content, rain, and dull looking night racing.

T.O.P

Banned

I don't know anymore if you guys are trying to convince us or yourselves

We know that DC looks fantastic and
than F6 as it has been said countless times in this thread, a shitty comparison gif remains a shitty comparison gif

I remember being massively under whelmed by Drive Club when I first played it. The earlier, busier tracks in bright daylight do not highlight how good the game can look. Aliasing everywhere, shit texture filtering like most console games, blah. Comes together during rain/snow/darkness where the dynamic lighting comes to life and the image is covered in blurry post processing shit to hide aliasing and texture blemishes.

I don't really understand the rampant comparisons to Forza 6 though. Drive Club does look better (though "generation difference" is stretching it), but that's to be expected when it's presented at running at half the fucking framerate, and the former is on a console that struggles to hit 1080p let alone at 60fps.

I like this level-headed comment. Specifically these parts.

Jamesways

No it's not a competition, it's page after page after page of proof, counter excuse, proof counter excuse. When I say 'it's finished, it's over,' I'm referring to THAT particular tooing and froing.

What if I really like/prefer the look of pCARS? AC looks like it'll be amazing too.

Personal preference at this point, they ALL look good!

Game4life

Banned
Yeah I think it is obvious DC is the best looking racer at this point. Waiting for GT7 to make these comparison's slightly more interesting although I still think even GT7 wont look anwhere close to this because of 60 fps. Interested to see how the new NFS will turn out.

I like this level-headed comment. Specifically these parts.

I wonder what is so insightful about those comments because everyone knows these obvious facts. The comparison is still going to be made because that is the purpose of the thread?

Top Bottom