• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Never seen a racer that's so properly weighted and accurately simulates a car being driven on a track like GT. It looks so solid under scrutiny, nothing floaty about it, great physics. The other would be driveclub...but here in GTS, the way the cars bounce over road undulations realistically, the way they bump over curbs, even the way it kicks dust/sand from the outskirts of a track, the attention to detail and immersion of realism is just sublime....
No.

Yea a car has to feel impossible to drive to the average person for it to be a true simulator.
Anything I might say is lost on you and will be denied anyway. It's not worth the effort.

When real world motorsport starts using Gran Turismo and not rFactor Pro or Assetto Corsa Pro for driver training and track learning (this last one is true for iRacing as well), get back to me.

CrayToes

Never seen a racer that's so properly weighted and accurately simulates a car being driven on a track like GT. It looks so solid under scrutiny, nothing floaty about it, great physics. The other would be driveclub...but here in GTS, the way the cars bounce over road undulations realistically, the way they bump over curbs, even the way it kicks dust/sand from the outskirts of a track, the attention to detail and immersion of realism is just sublime....

The gif you quoted isn't exactly helping to make your point there, mate.

Gestault

I tend to ignore more shallow posts (and I totally get appreciating the feel of certain game), but it's hard not to give a good old fashioned eye-roll seeing someone describe things common in the genre (and just as often handled better) as though it were specific to one game. [re: car balance/weight/track behavior]

Except headlights don't cast shadows. Kind of kills it for me. Even on PC where it should have been possible, nope.

Getting that more consistent is going to be one of the next big "easy" visual improvements for racers. Tons of titles have it situationally (Forza 6 and Driveclub particularly well), but it's not universal yet for all the active cars/angles. Still, I'll take what I can get until then:

edge.gif

Gestault

It is only the headlights of the player that projects the shadow of the other cars, not the other cars, if I look carefully .. right ?

I think (?) it's actually all the cars, at least in replays. This is the best angle I have with a bunch of cars. I'm not 100% on this one.

I don't have any caps of it, but you notice it like crazy in the Nascar career, because the stadium lights at different angles cast shadows from all the cars.

Sebmugi

Yes we see that the player's car does not project a shadow on the part of the car that is behind..I think it requires too much resource scorpio or GT sport on pro maybe ^^

I think there is the same "problem" in driveclub .. but not sure at 100%

YksLpfX.gif

It really is a joy to watch

Sebmugi

I am looking forward to seeing what GT sport will give in the rain even if it is not dynamic weather .. I forget the management of the reflections of driveclub

170510062813867648.png

170510062811151335.png

170510062810129989.png

Gestault

I would say that in order to be perfect it would be necessary that the small bushes or grasses react with the movement of the air of the passage of the car ^^

Wind and air movement in the environment doesn't get the attention I'd like in a lot of otherwise gorgeous driving games.

Stillmatic

In terms of clarity it is realistic. Little to no wind effecting the surface then reflections are mirror like, like in the screens that were posted.

Whether the puddle size over those surfaces is realistic or not is a different topic. The puddle size and angles are definitely not realistic in those screens, which is why it looks odd. The water looks to mold to the surface rather than pool flat. But even if it was more patchy, the reflections would still be that clear.

Gestault

Driveclub did that, right?

Kinda-sorta? There was blanket movement on some vegetation that's a lower-quality effect, but even that's just an ongoing movement. The best wind/windstorms I've seen started in the Horizon games with the Storm Island expanion, and that was partly the way they rolled in and out.

I haven't seen any games that have air displacement from cars effect the environment other than like leaves or grass, but that's getting pretty nuanced.

Stillmatic

Kinda-sorta? There was blanket movement on some vegetation that's a lower-quality effect, but even that's just an ongoing movement. The best wind/windstorms I've seen started in the Horizon games with the Storm Island expanion, and that was partly the way they rolled in and out.

I haven't seen any games that have air displacement from cars effect the environment other than like leaves or grass, but that's getting pretty nuanced.

The wind effects in DC go a little beyond the norm though. Like Horizon trees blowing in the wind for eg aren't just a scripted animation, but effected by wind speeds dynamically. But I don't think it goes as far as the turbulence from cars effecting things (other than the placed patches of leaves and grass).

PSBlog said:
Clouds react dynamically to different wind speeds. This is then converted into a ground wind speed which accurately interacts with all vegetation, overhead cables and other environmental features, based on their height from the ground.

PSBlog said:
Waves and rippling on the surface of lakes is dynamically linked to wind speed, which affects how clear reflections are in the water.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-driveclub-details-might-just-blow-mind/

Putty

A small but nice detail, notice how the driver actually moves in relation to the jolt the car receives from going over the curb.

2BSHrW0.gif

The last gif is fab. Be even better if the dust shot out from the back really did match somewhat the speed of the tires...Spinning that fast i'd imagine a longer and quicker burst of dirt...Of course this would be more expensive given the extra particles...

A small but nice detail, notice how the driver actually moves in relation to the jolt the car receives from going over the curb.

2BSHrW0.gif

This looks brilliant (along with some other gifs too) but why the hell does the game look sterile as fuck whilst playing it?

After playing PC1, the cockpit view in GTS especially looks completely 'Sunday Driving' in comparison. I hope they add shake and a much more dynamic cockpit upon full release.

c0de

This looks brilliant (along with some other gifs too) but why the hell does the game look sterile as fuck whilst playing it?

After playing PC1, the cockpit view in GTS especially looks completely 'Sunday Driving' in comparison. I hope they add shake and a much more dynamic cockpit upon full release.

Yeah, the gifs aren't helping the game when you actually play. It looks quite good but really nothing ground breaking in gameplay. The gifs are still awesome, though.

Sunhi has access to black magic where his gifs look better than the games he takes them from, I don't know how he does it. He's got a great eye for what looks spectacular but I can only assume he made a deal with the devil.

MilkyJoe

I am looking forward to seeing what GT sport will give in the rain even if it is not dynamic weather .. I forget the management of the reflections of driveclub

170510062813867648.png

170510062811151335.png

170510062810129989.png

I have no idea what is going on in these pictures.

Is that supposed to be bonnet view or something?

Synth

Sunhi has access to black magic where his gifs look better than the games he takes them from, I don't know how he does it. He's got a great eye for what looks spectacular but I can only assume he made a deal with the devil.

Yea, I've been thinking this as well... I've seen his gifs for a variety of games, and without fail they make the games look fucking ridiculous in a way that is completely unlike the game comes across in any other form (even including other gifs). I don't get how the fuck he does it tbh.

Loris146

Yea, I've been thinking this as well... I've seen his gifs for a variety of games, and without fail they make the games look fucking ridiculous in a way that is completely unlike the game comes across in any other form (even including other gifs). I don't get how the fuck he does it tbh.

He has insane talent at capturing the perfect moment. Excellent camera work plus post processing effects.

CrayToes

Yeah, I've been playing the GTS beta for the past few weeks, and loving it, but all of these gifs really hurt my expectations of what the game would look like running in real time. It looks good but nothing compared to the almost lifelike quality of the replay gifs I've seen posted here.

I am dying to see it in 4K HDR on my TV though. I'm sure that'll be a treat.

Sebmugi

I have no idea what is going on in these pictures.

Is that supposed to be bonnet view or something?

Yes it is almost the point of view adopted ;)

I noticed but not really sure that in GT sport the flame returns to the exhaust causes a kind of condensation of heat on the metal of the exhaust ..
it is hard to grasp but I ' Would try to make a GIF to illustrate my purpose .. or else it is something else but it happens that something ^^

Gestault

I think people complaining about sim racers looking "sterile" are mostly overlooking the real-world equivalents that they're working to emulate. If we're talking about a lack of detail that should be present (or environmental/animation factors), I get it, but the criticism at face value feels like it would apply to the real world as much as the game.

Top Bottom