• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

TBiddy

Key word: "slight rain"

If it turns out that there is actually rain (like we see in every other racing game), I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong, but the fact that not a single image or video featuring rain has been shown yet should concern people.

GT strutting in inexcusably and gorgeously. I do wonder if theres much overhead left in Sport for some weather later, especially considering how much work PD put into 5 and 6 in that regard.

Considering they call themselves "The Real Driving Simulator", leaving out rain seems like an odd decision. We don't know for sure yet, of course, but the signs are there.

That doesn't change the fact, that GT is gorgeous, of course.

Hoo-doo

Banned
More like sorry for striking a nerve guys, I'm making fun of this thread and guys like you.

You've got the wrong idea of me if you think I give a shit 😂

Cue back 2 pages ago where people are writing essays on how FM's lighting isn't that impressive and still static.

Oh Forza 7 has a fantastic weather implementation which they've managed to get running on the OG X1 at locked 60fps while GTS drops frames? Oh yeah, it's static and doesn't count cause GTS doesn't have weather.

Wasn't saying that back in DC FH2 days were you guys? ;)

Taking in a different direction of having a pityful amount of content? I'm a racing lover fan, it's mostly what I sink my hours into these days. Mate, if I was in their shoes and waiting all this time for GTS, I'd be gutted.

Mate this topic is a shit show.

To begin with most people judge from tiny GIFs and replay mode. I learnt that lesson on here from when I saw DC for the first time and it looked like someone rubbed Vaseline over the entire screen. Only thing what looks good in DC is the weather, everything else FH3 is far better simply due to the IQ.

Oh my, you're precious. Acting like you don't give a shit yet transitioning into your all-to-familiar salty posting style, warring for a certain platform exclusive and disregarding the actual point of the thread, which is graphical comparisons.

If you want to argue or demonstrate that F7 looks way better then other games, then by all means go ahead. That's what the thread is about. But we could all do without your 'look at how much I am above this shit'-persona and then proceed to be very, very much not above this shit.

leeh

Oh my, you're precious. Acting like you don't give a shit yet transitioning into your all-to-familiar salty posting style, warring for a certain platform exclusive and disregarding the actual point of the thread, which is graphical comparisons.

If you want to argue or demonstrate that F7 looks way better then other games, then by all means go ahead. That's what the thread is about. But we could all do without your 'look at how much I am above this shit'-persona and then proceed to be very, very much not above this shit.
If it makes you happier thinking I'm annoyed or "salty" when replying in here, go ahead and think that.

Graphics comparison? Don't make me laugh. Past 300 replies have been on whether Forza's whether system is truly dynamic with an odd GIF thrown in.

Give me one quote where you praise Forza for anything. Go on, I dare you.

c0de

So, after driving for a few minutes: GTS looks very good and at least at the oval, performance seems good so far.
There is still noticable lod in the audience and especially for opponent cars but I don't see how anyone would expect something different. Perhaps people who the old us that GT5 or 6 always had the highest lod and didn't swap the models but that was always bullshit.
I will wonder why we can't move the camera around the car like in other games, though.

Neith

Banned
GTS is a winner on Pro, that much is certain. They really met my expectations here. I am very glad about that after Battlefront 2 shitting the bed.

valkyre

GTS is a winner on Pro, that much is certain. They really met my expectations here. I am very glad about that after Battlefront 2 shitting the bed.

I still think Driveclub is more impressive... :/

Edit: Oh wait you are talking about Pro support. Yup totally agree on that part!

Sayad

More like sorry for striking a nerve guys, I'm making fun of this thread and guys like you.

You've got the wrong idea of me if you think I give a shit ��
Says the guy with over 100 posts in this thread!
2jRl4kH.gif

Racing Graphics Face-off is the gift that keeps on giving.

Neith

Banned

Edit: Oh wait you are talking about Pro support. Yup totally agree on that part!

Driveclub visuals had worse AA, but there were parts of DC that were incredible yes. No doubt about that. I go back to it still, barely touched the cycles yet.

Overall though GTS has a really nice look on Pro. Really wish DC would have gotten supersampling on Pro at least.

Neith

Banned
Great if it does, but it'll just be that wet toggle with grip being turned down like in past GTs..

To be frank if all it is is a wet toggle and some light rain effects, as long as it is done right I am okay with that. The driving model on this game rocks.

Driveclub has great assets and density, but poor IQ. It dimishes the games visual quality in my opinon. I think the lighting is superior in GT.

Neith

Banned
Driveclub has great assets and density, but poor IQ. It dimishes the games visual quality in my opinon. I think the lighting is superior in GT.

Oh yeah for sure. The lighting is definitely better, and the IQ on Pro is a lot better.

I wouldn't say DC has poor IQ, but man if it just had a bit of SS it would be amazing. Really wish that game had a Pro patch damn it.

c0de

It would be worrisome if a 2017 flagship Sony title didn't have a top tier Pro support.
I agree. I'm on amateur and so most users will be and the looks very good. But of course it doesn't look in gameplay like in replays or scapes - anyone expecting that will be disappointed.

BeeDog

So, after driving for a few minutes: GTS looks very good and at least at the oval, performance seems good so far.
There is still noticable lod in the audience and especially for opponent cars but I don't see how anyone would expect something different. Perhaps people who the old us that GT5 or 6 always had the highest lod and didn't swap the models but that was always bullshit.
I will wonder why we can't move the camera around the car like in other games, though.

Did they remove the free cam around the car? It was there in the beta at least.

Peterthumpa

Quoting myself from the beta thread - photo mode during races does not use the highest quality car model. Try to take a picture of a manufacturer logo and it becomes obvious and actually pretty ugly.

The high quality models are only available in Scapes, where you can't freely control the camera, and in the car showroom or livery editors, both with no photo mode options at all.

And oh, it seems that there's no way to take interior photos besides using the cockpit camera as well.

Baffling design decisions.

leeh

Says the guy with over 100 posts in this thread!
2jRl4kH.gif

Racing Graphics Face-off is the gift that keeps on giving.
What's that gotta do with anything?

Sorry I like racing games. One of the reasons I'm commenting about what I am is due to all the times I've looked/commented in here.

leeh

To be frank if all it is is a wet toggle and some light rain effects, as long as it is done right I am okay with that. The driving model on this game rocks.
I've missed out on GT since the PS2 days so I think I'm going to convince one of my mates to buy GTS so I can play :)

The realism of the GIF's which are being seen in the demo thread is just outstanding.

KageMaru

Quoting myself from the beta thread - photo mode during races does not use the highest quality car model. Try to take a picture of a manufacturer logo and it becomes obvious and actually pretty ugly.

The high quality models are only available in Scapes, where you can't freely control the camera, and in the car showroom or livery editors, both with no photo mode options at all.

And oh, it seems that there's no way to take interior photos besides using the cockpit camera as well.

Baffling design decisions.

Are the models still presented in a higher LOD overall or does it top out at the max level during a race? I imagine you could have higher quality models that don't quite match the LOD level of the scapes model.

Peterthumpa

Are the models still presented in a higher LOD overall or does it top out at the max level during a race? I imagine you could have higher quality models that don't quite match the LOD level of the scapes model.

During the race they're fine, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The problem is that the game does not swap the model for a higher quality one when trying close-up shots. I mean, just check this one that I just shot:

DLsTaWOVAAEVINf.jpg

During the race they're fine, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The problem is that the game does not swap the model for a higher quality one when trying close-up shots. I mean, just check this one that I just shot:

DLsTaWOVAAEVINf.jpg
Yeah, it weirded me out. Could be a bug though when we know all cars high quality models look amazing.

shandy706

Finally got to play Forza 7.

Holy crap at that game down-sampled. Absolutely breathtaking at times and it's hard to admire it while racing, LOL.

Playing it on Ultra, down-sampled, on my curved screen racing setup and it's the best looking racing game I've ever played in motion. Not a single youtube video or screenshot I've seen up to now does the game justice.

The track and textures look really rough.

The cars/lighting, as usual, look amazing.

I'm not so sure GT:S is going to impress me much when I play the demo unfortunately. Not after the time I got in this weekend with FM7. It's going to take quite an overall visual showing to outdo it.

Space_nut

Love the feel/weight; hate the lack of SSR on cars and how static everything is. Clouds do not move at all. But the price of 60 FPS...Thanks framerate guys!

Yup noticed too for the short time I played. Textures didn't impress at all too

Hopefully DF can do a faceoff with FM7 on Xbox One X vs Gts pro

Holy crap at that game down-sampled. Absolutely breathtaking at times and it's hard to admire it while racing, LOL.

Playing it on Ultra, down-sampled, on my curved screen racing setup and it's the best looking racing game I've ever played in motion. Not a single youtube video or screenshot I've seen up to now does the game justice.

Even on Xbox One I think the game looks far greater than the sum of it's parts, assets and textures that have been scaled back from earlier games just gel together so much better now and feel they're all under the same logical light source. It looks right, rough in places but great over all. New shader effects maybe?

Wasn't sold on the idea of a One X before but if it delivers great IQ and better LOD's I'd buy one.

In a year or two.

c0de

So, spent more time with arcade.
Dragon Tail looks way better, sadly tod is static. But the rally course... Lod issues, trees look like having two colors of green and seem very flat. How can they make tracks look so good damn good and fail completely with a rally course?
Also tried some parts of the driving school and someone thought it might be a good idea to place the cursor to a yt video by default... At first I thought the game was stalled and then realized 8 cores of Jaguar power tried to play a yt video while also running a game.

Gestault

So, spent more time with arcade.
Dragon Tail looks way better, sadly tod is static. But the rally course... Lod issues, trees look like having two colors of green and seem very flat. How can they make tracks look so good damn good and fail completely with a rally course?

What is the story on the almost "posterized" sections of trees? I've seen them consistently in footage, and a subset of screenshots, and it looks almost like a display error. I know there are better-looking 2D trees elsewhere in the game (in some cases on the same track), and it's just strange seeing those sections show up. The example that comes to mind is the barrier-fenced bend on the Nurb that has a bunch of them, and I can't understand why.

Sebmugi

GT sport suffers from the same problem as other racing games 60 fp .. the racing cars are pretty downgraded, some edges of tracks are a bit empty and it substitutes little worries on the cars of the player .. but it's good to replay a GT ^^

c0de

What is the story on the almost "posterized" sections of trees? I've seen them consistently in footage, and a subset of screenshots, and it looks almost like a display error. I know there are better-looking 2D trees elsewhere in the game (in some cases on the same track), and it's just strange seeing those sections show up. The example that comes to mind is the barrier-fenced bend on the Nurb that has a bunch of them, and I can't understand why.

I really don't know what it is. It's often seen that they are using flat colors and sometimes that even looks realistic but on trees it doesn't work, especially not on this rally track which looks rough in general.
Perhaps that's a reason we don't see many pictures of that.

psn

The track and textures look really rough.

The cars/lighting, as usual, look amazing.

I'm not so sure GT:S is going to impress me much when I play the demo unfortunately. Not after the time I got in this weekend with FM7. It's going to take quite an overall visual showing to outdo it.

It is a good game definitely. And while I love playing it on my 240Hz monitor, GTS surprised me more. I mean the IQ is great in Forza, the models are great, but the lighting has a more "comic" look. Comic might not be the right word, but I don't know how to describe it. You look at the screen and you instantly know: "alright, this is a game." A good looking one for sure. When you play Driveclub for example and it all comes together, you have to look twice. GTS surprised me in that regard as well. The Lighting is superb. Models are superb. The IQ is much better in Forza or PCars on my PC , but that was no surprise to me - a 6700k@5Ghz + 1080 is not comparable to my base ps4. GTS on my PC would be amazing but we all know that this won't happen. Might upgrade for a ps4 pro if it has advantages while running in 1080p.

Fredrik

Now that I've played the demo, GTS completely slaughters the other racers visually in my opinion, and this is on a launch PS4.

c0de

Now that I've played the demo, GTS completely slaughters the other racers visually in my opinion, and this is on a launch PS4.

Scapes? Yes!
Replays? Definitely!
Gameplay? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This is not a definite win at all (but then again, I'm only judging from screens to what my PS4 renders, I don't have any other racing game from this gen).

theWB27

It is a good game definitely. And while I love playing it on my 240Hz monitor, GTS surprised me more. I mean the IQ is great in Forza, the models are great, but the lighting has a more "comic" look. Comic might not be the right word, but I don't know how to describe it. You look at the screen and you instantly know: "alright, this is a game." A good looking one for sure. When you play Driveclub for example and it all comes together, you have to look twice. GTS surprised me in that regard as well. The Lighting is superb. Models are superb. The IQ is much better in Forza or PCars on my PC , but that was no surprise to me - a 6700k@5Ghz + 1080 is not comparable to my base ps4. GTS on my PC would be amazing but we all know that this won't happen. Might upgrade for a ps4 pro if it has advantages while running in 1080p.

It's just that colorful artstyle they go for at Turn10. Another game that does that is NBA2k. It looks great, but you can definitely tell the color choice is more stylized than realism.

c0de

When watching some replays, it really seems somehow I'm watching one of those tilt shift videos that were famous a few years ago where you would think something is actually real but in the end it turns out that you were essentially looking at some plastic people like Lego but playing with some blur, some good chosen colors, combined with some clever use of bokeh makes people think it looks real. Great approch from PD, in my opinion.

Fredrik

Scapes? Yes!
Replays? Definitely!
Gameplay? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This is not a definite win at all (but then again, I'm only judging from screens to what my PS4 renders, I don't have any other racing game from this gen).
I think it looks better in all modes. The thing I like the most besides the general lighting is how bright the headlights and taillights are and the sunshine, I don't even have a Pro but even without HDR it looks just amazing, in races, replay and photomode.
I just wish the single player content got the same love and care from the devs, that's the game's only downside from my point of view.

A lot of the trees are 2D, saw some in Tokyo Speedway.

The interesting thing though is that it looks great.

As expected Forza 7 is still king on IQ, effects, and foliage. Lighting however, is GT Sport's all the way.

TBiddy

When watching some replays, it really seems somehow I'm watching one of those tilt shift videos that were famous a few years ago where you would think something is actually real but in the end it turns out that you were essentially looking at some plastic people like Lego but playing with some blur, some good chosen colors, combined with some clever use of bokeh makes people think it looks real. Great approch from PD, in my opinion.

It's extremely clever marketing. People all over the internet are posting small, highly stylized GIFs, that look ridiculously good, but looks nowhere near the game, yet these GIFs are often used as arguments that GT:S is much better looking than the competition.

Fredrik

It's extremely clever marketing. People all over the internet are posting small, highly stylized GIFs, that look ridiculously good, but looks nowhere near the game, yet these GIFs are often used as arguments that GT:S is much better looking than the competition.
It looks much much better seeing it on my TV even on my launch PS4 than any gif I've ever seen here. I'm blown away by it tbh.

c0de

This was already the case with both predecessors and it works. Again, I don't want to downplay the replays but they have nothing to do with the game when you actually play it (and to be honest honest, I never cared for replays in a racing game).

Rally tracks look crap.

Impressed with the other tracks though. The quality between the tracks in GT Sport can be pretty hit and miss at times.

Top Bottom