• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

TBiddy

Arguing against video evidence is silly. The video comparison clearly shows that GT is more temporally stable due to whatever aa its using. This is while drawing roughly 1/4th of the pixels per frame

I mean, if you look at the gameplay pictures, the aliasing is literally right there. I'm not sure how you can miss it.

I mean, if you look at the gameplay pictures, the aliasing is literally right there. I'm not sure how you can miss it.

still images done always properly capture the effects of TAA. how can you not be aware of this? or you could, you know, just go watch the high quality version of the comparison video

Just so you know, baked environmental shadows are still real shadows, with the added bonus that they can be rendered at a nice high resolution. Given neither game supports a moving sun, it would appear to be the better way of doing things here.

with the added bonus of situations like this

forza67r4u6k.jpg

TBiddy

still images done always properly capture the effects of TAA. how can you not be aware of this? or you could, you know, just go watch the high quality version of the comparison video

I have watched the video. The aliasing is just as obvious as in the pictures. It's not an attack on you or GTS, it's just a fact.

cooldawn

Just so you know, baked environmental shadows are still real shadows, with the added bonus that they can be rendered at a nice high resolution. Given neither game supports a moving sun, it would appear to be the better way of doing things here.
Are you sure?

Digital Foundry state baked shadows are one of the causes for an inflated file size. The difference between both titles is that Gran Turismo Sport is using light sourced from the sun hence the jagged edges on shadows whereas the sun in Forza Motorsport 7 isn't a light source.

Essentially it seems the sun in Gran Turismo Sport uses real-time calculations hence the dynamic shadows but, for whatever reason, they disabled real-time changes in-game but kept the effects.

Septic360

Banned
Brehs its over. GT Sport won in the visuals department. Yes it has far less content etc like DF said but allow the beef, its no longer halal.

They're not hugely important but a nice way to show off or unwind after a race.

Forza is a real letdown in that regard. Clipping, pop in, badly placed and gameplay angles and too many cuts.

Another sound comparison with the Veneno.
GTS vs DC vs FM7 vs PC2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRF4Po6qVo
I have to say Forza sounds completely off. The other three go back and forth. I thought FH3 had a good sounding Veneno.

The Lamborghini V12s are an odd one for Forza. I think it might be because in FH3 they were using a new granular synthesized sound system and maybe it isn't implemented in FM7? The samples are in a totally different format for the few FH3 cars that use the system.

Darkdeus

Well pretty much every PC racing sim feels better than Forza and GTS. I grew up playing the GT games but they do not compare to iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor, Raceroom, Pcars 2 etc. Forza 7 has so many cars too that there is no way they were able to put the time into each one when working the physics. I think people don't always think about the trade offs when considering the amount of cars in a race sim. GTS having less cars is a good sign!

Forza and GTS do play well with a controller though and have other strengths and details as games that some of the pure sims do not have. I really hope the GTS multiplayer system works well as you really can't have competitive public racing without ratings and safety penalties.

I grew up playing the GT games but they do not compare to iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor, Raceroom, Pcars 2 etc. .

I invested money into iRacing a while ago - a few years ago - and complained about the handling model on the forums and got a whole lot of hand waving about the tire model getting redone at some point. The graphics were ass as well at that time too so that was enough, I was out. Since I had a SCCA license and raced a Miata for a while, and was trying to do the same in iRacing, I felt somewhat qualified to complain.

However the GTS feel and physics model felt immediately comfortable, and the tuning mostly makes sense. That leaves space to admire the graphics and importantly learn the tracks. I've no complaints really. It really is not a dumbed down experience.

PC2 might have finally fixed their tire model but they are battling bugs. iRacing graphics are hard to look at in 2017, and as a subscription game it isn't apples to apples. Assetto Corsa have people upset at their marketing model as well.

I think GT:S is a pretty amazing combination of stunning visuals, the beginnings of some good online competition, and a good physics model too.

edit: and oh look. iRacing has STILL not got on top of its tire model issues:
https://pretendracecars.net/2017/04/05/why-i-chose-not-to-return-to-iracing/

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Took some gameplay pics last night:

eWRPTtR.png

Dynamic tessellation is still problematic. Tons of screaming edges on the white car.

I invested money into iRacing a while ago - a few years ago - and complained about the handling model on the forums and got a whole lot of hand waving about the tire model getting redone at some point. The graphics were ass as well at that time too so that was enough, I was out. Since I had a SCCA license and raced a Miata for a while, and was trying to do the same in iRacing, I felt somewhat qualified to complain.

However the GTS feel and physics model felt immediately comfortable, and the tuning mostly makes sense. That leaves space to admire the graphics and importantly learn the tracks. I've no complaints really. It really is not a dumbed down experience.

PC2 might have finally fixed their tire model but they are battling bugs. iRacing graphics are hard to look at in 2017, and as a subscription game it isn't apples to apples. Assetto Corsa have people upset at their marketing model as well.

I think GT:S is a pretty amazing combination of stunning visuals, the beginnings of some good online competition, and a good physics model too.

edit: and oh look. iRacing has STILL not got on top of its tire model issues:
https://pretendracecars.net/2017/04/05/why-i-chose-not-to-return-to-iracing/

GTS doesn't even have tire flex physics and the suspension physics are very weak. Plus cars have no reaction when hitting other cars.

pixelbox

Dynamic tessellation is still problematic. Tons of screaming edges on the white car.

GTS doesn't even have tire flex physics and the suspension physics are very weak. Plus cars have no reaction when hitting other cars.

Most sims don't really react to collision. Please post pictures of the collision differences. In terms of tire flex, i believe it does.

The cars react too much in collisions, in terms of getting knocked off the line. No argument that GTS prefers no contact and doesn't deform panels etc, but so do real life racers (prefer not to rub paint). Ok it sucks that if you ram a car up the ass it doesn't crumple correctly - but that's sort of a luxury sim feature you would do when you run out of other things.

pixelbox

The cars react too much in collisions, in terms of getting knocked off the line. No argument that GTS prefers no contact and doesn't deform panels etc, but so do real life racers (prefer not to rub paint). Ok it sucks that if you ram a car up the ass it doesn't crumple correctly - but that's sort of a luxury sim feature you would do when you run out of other things.
Driveclub was like this as well. Any game with real life car will behave like this. Forza is barely different.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Again, that's horrible physics. Nothing came off and the collision is almost exactly the same. PD did not want to treat cars differently so they opted to have the same damage model for all cars.

nothing coming off but still some heavy deformation is stil much better than the adamantium cars on GTS

More flying parts love for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leHCUH--_6Y

Again, that's horrible physics. Nothing came off and the collision is almost exactly the same. PD did not want to treat cars differently so they opted to have the same damage model for all cars.

Edit: is that Gt in beta??? And are you still showing non luxury vehicles??

dat damage controll :p

Apex

Final game:

YbheoE6.gif

e76dVlX.gif

asbVBB5.gif

sCT6Ugo.gif

It does have tire flex. I'm not sure where that comes, there's no proof of the contrary and is visible in other cars when you're play and in the dynamic way the tires react.

No matter what that is a huge huge improvement for GT car to car interaction, I didn't play gt6 but is this the first time they really got it somewhat right?

Yeah definitely an improvement. In earlier GT games you could definitely push cars but you could never apply any rotational force to them, i.e. attempting a PIT maneuver would just push them to the side instead of spinning them.

Top Bottom