• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

EGOMON

BOpPHd5.gif

wow nice save bravo

bj00rn_

Banned
Both games have terrible lighting, Pcars wins it but damn they're closer than I imagined :/

From a "run on a high end pc" point of view Pcars looks pretty bad considering.

Yeah, to make it look awesome they should reduce the framerate to 30fps, replace the physics engine with a crappy one and make it an arcade racer instead.

Gestault

Yeah, to make it look awesome they should reduce the framerate to 30fps, replace the physics engine with a crappy one and make it an arcade racer instead.

I'll admit, I laughed.

When I see people lamenting the presentation in other racers like that, I think about how silly it sounds when people lay into things like iRacing for "looking like crap," totally overlooking its underlying focus. I mean this is a thread about visuals, so it's not off-base, but it's hard to separate the two when you're deep into the genre. Game development always means targeted priorities.

Synth

Ok so then pole position looks better than Forza horizon 2. By your own logic you just have to accept that statement as for all you know it's my opinion.

If that actually was your opinion, then yea we would have to actually lol.

It's a pretty extreme example, but let's think of it another way. Someone tells you in all serious that they think Queen Elizabeth II is more attractive than Beyonce. Now, much like Pole Position example, this is something I'd probably never expect to actually hear as someone's legitimate opinion in reality, and in both cases I'd imagine this person must be pretty damn old, heh. Regardless though it is a valid opinion if that's what they truly think, as what looks pleasing to someone simply isn't ever universally factual. You can throw out whatever criteria you want in regards to what you think makes someone look better (symmetry, ratios, age, hair length, complexion, whatever), but you can't ever make your choice more beautiful in their eyes. The only way they'd ever actually be wrong, is if they tried to claim that your preference was objectively wrong...

Now then, let's consider Horizon instead of Pole Position. There's nowhere near the same sort of disparity between the two now, and in many ways they're pretty comparable. In this case we'll use Rihanna. Now the preference is not only impossible to completely invalidate, but also not that surprising a preference to come across.

For a gaming example, I think Forza Horizon and Driveclub map pretty well to Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 around the time of their release. Doom 3 was pretty much setting the standards for future tech that would become more common over the course of the next generation. Half-Life 2 on the other hand was pretty much the final stages of the previous generations technical implementations. There were plenty of people that thought Half-Life 2 looked better than Doom 3, even though most of what it was doing in terms of lightning and so on was completely faked and less convincing, or that geometry-wise it was a lot easier to point at a wall and identify it as a flat surface compared to Doom 3's heavy use of bump-mapping. At the end of the day Half-Life 2's sense of scale, the better clarity of textures, and just its overall art-direction made up for whatever technical shortcomings it had in comparison.

Your criteria for what "looks better" is apparently simply what looks more realistic, whilst for many others that isn't necessarily the case. It's extremely common to see deliberate choices all around us to make something look less realistic even when absolute realism would be trivial (postcards, Hollywood, food menus, etc) because often you'll find that the result is more visually appealing to many people, and I'd comfortably describe Horizon 2's graphical aims deliberately leaning far more towards "moving postcard" than reality, and I like it for that. Combined with the larger sense of scale, better image quality, clearer details, better motion blur etc... I have no problems saying that I think Horizon 2 looks nicer then Driveclub (disclaimer: to me, personally) in most cases where it isn't raining. I've previously posted some of my reasoning for this here. What I wouldn't claim however, is that FH2 is more technically advanced.

I think it's pretty funny actually, as we often complain so much about games all going for a similar realistic or gritty style, yet the second we stick cars in, anything other than absolute realism is suddenly considered to be a failing.

If that actually was your opinion, then yea we would have to actually lol.

It's a pretty extreme example, but let's think of it another way. Someone tells you in all serious that they think Queen Elizabeth II is more attractive than Beyonce. Now, much like Pole Position example, this is something I'd probably never expect to actually hear as someone's legitimate opinion in reality, and in both cases I'd imagine this person must be pretty damn old, heh. Regardless though it is a valid opinion if that's what they truly think, as what looks pleasing to someone simply isn't ever universally factual. You can throw out whatever criteria you want in regards to what you think makes someone look better (symmetry, ratios, age, hair length, complexion, whatever), but you can't ever make your choice more beautiful in their eyes. The only way they'd ever actually be wrong, is if they tried to claim that your preference was objectively wrong...

Now then, let's consider Horizon instead of Pole Position. There's nowhere near the same sort of disparity between the two now, and in many ways they're pretty comparable. In this case we'll use Rihanna. Now the preference is not only impossible to completely invalidate, but also not that surprising a preference to come across.

For a gaming example, I think Forza Horizon and Driveclub map pretty well to Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 around the time of their release. Doom 3 was pretty much setting the standards for future tech that would become more common over the course of the next generation. Half-Life 2 on the other hand was pretty much the final stages of the previous generations technical implementations. There were plenty of people that thought Half-Life 2 looked better than Doom 3, even though most of what it was doing in terms of lightning and so on was completely faked and less convincing, or that geometry-wise it was a lot easier to point at a wall and identify it as a flat surface compared to Doom 3's heavy use of bump-mapping. At the end of the day Half-Life 2's sense of scale, the better clarity of textures, and just its overall art-direction made up for whatever technical shortcomings it had in comparison.

Your criteria for what "looks better" is apparently simply what looks more realistic, whilst for many others that isn't necessarily the case. It's extremely common to see deliberate choices all around us to make something look less realistic even when absolute realism would be trivial (postcards, Hollywood, food menus, etc) because often you'll find that the result is more visually appealing to many people, and I'd comfortably describe Horizon 2's graphical aims deliberately leaning far more towards "moving postcard" than reality, and I like it for that. Combined with the larger sense of scale, better image quality, clearer details, better motion blur etc... I have no problems saying that I think Horizon 2 looks nicer then Driveclub (disclaimer: to me, personally) in most cases where it isn't raining. I've previously posted some of my reasoning for this here. What I wouldn't claim however, is that FH2 is more technically advanced.

I think it's pretty funny actually, as we often complain so much about games all going for a similar realistic or gritty style, yet the second we stick cars in, anything other than absolute realism is suddenly considered to be a failing.

Very nicely explained Synth!

nasanu

Banned
I'll admit, I laughed.

When I see people lamenting the presentation in other racers like that, I think about how silly it sounds when people lay into things like iRacing for "looking like crap," totally overlooking its underlying focus. I mean this is a thread about visuals, so it's not off-base, but it's hard to separate the two when you're deep into the genre. Game development always means targeted priorities.

What a copout. There is no excuse for bad visuals period. And to talk of iracing, their physics aren't all that great either (what is the patch number on their tyre model now? 500?, how many years did they work on it before the AC devs blew them away with a years work?). Who cares where their focus is, the graphics programmer is not the one working on the physics anyway I guarantee you that. They are making a mint and instead of putting it into the development of their game they spend it paying already rich drivers to play.

A great looking racer with great physics is very possible (and if pd keep improving the physics model then look out for gt7, better drive train modelling please pd) and it is only because of apologists in the sim racing community that pc racing games have looked so bad for so long. If players like you were complaining 10 years ago instead of making excuses we might have stunning looking pc racers now.

I'll admit, I laughed.

There should be a Next Gen racer face off thread, that deals with everything not just graphics. Many of the arguments here vere off from the focus. I would make it but lack the motivation :p

There should be a Next Gen racer face off thread, that deals with everything not just graphics. Many of the arguments here vere off from the focus. I would make it but lack the motivation :p

That's only because one title is so far above the others its pretty much useless comparing till a new driving game comes out.

What a copout. There is no excuse for bad visuals period. .

Low budgets? Because most PC sims sure have those.

And to talk of iracing, their physics aren't all that great either

Compared to what? AC is better at some things and worse at others. The whole iceracer thing was a valid criticism early on but it's much improved now across the board, and you're really criticism them for improving the model over time? Wow.

Gestault

What a copout. There is no excuse for bad visuals period.

As has been said, budget/team size has everything to do with this. When one company has more staff in their art department than another company has on their entire team, that's a perfectly reasonable explanation for major differences in visual quality.

Hawk269

I'll just leave this here:

http://youtu.be/X01xbp8mcu8

it's Pcars vs Forza 5, this was just posted a few days ago in the PCARS thread

This actually makes Forza 5 seem more impressive. I know many don't give the game justice, but this video shows a launch title versus a game that is still not out and running on better (PC) hardware and Forza 5 holds up pretty damn well in this video. In certain areas, I think Forza looks better, obviously shadows are much better on Pcars, but in the end and using this video only, they look pretty close to each other.

Dilly

Banned
Low budgets? Because most PC sims sure have those.

Compared to what? AC is better at some things and worse at others. The whole iceracer thing was a valid criticism early on but it's much improved now across the board, and you're really criticism them for improving the model over time? Wow.

It's best to just ignore nasanu when he's talking about simracing on PC.

Gestault

This actually makes Forza 5 seem more impressive. I know many don't give the game justice, but this video shows a launch title versus a game that is still not out and running on better (PC) hardware and Forza 5 holds up pretty damn well in this video. In certain areas, I think Forza looks better, obviously shadows are much better on Pcars, but in the end and using this video only, they look pretty close to each other.

Particularly in light of the free tracks they've added since launch, and more importantly, on a properly calibrated display, Forza 5 is a great looking title when it comes down to it. Silverstone, Long Beach and Nurburgring are real showcases for that game.

Hawk269

Particularly in light of the free tracks they've added since launch, and more importantly, on a properly calibrated display, Forza 5 is a great looking title when it comes down to it. Silverstone, Long Beach and Nurburgring are real showcases for that game.

I agree. It does have it's warts (AA), but overall I think Forza 5 is a great looking game. With it being a launch title and using beta dev kits, what they were able to do was pretty amazing. Forza 6 should make things interesting.

With Forza 5 I find the bloom, glare and rays to look over the top in videos but when I playing they aren't a problem at all and just become part of the atmosphere.

ShamePain

Banned
If Forza 5 > Forza 6 is as big of an improvement as Forza 2 > Forza 3, then it should comfortably blow PCars away. But then again it might not have dynamic ToD and weather, guess we'll see at E3.

Gestault

If Forza 5 > Forza 6 is as big of an improvement as Forza 2 > Forza 3, then it should comfortably blow PCars away. But then again it might not have dynamic ToD and weather, guess we'll see at E3.

I legitimately can't think of a bigger jump in a series within a generation than from F2 to F3. We can dream, but I'm not counting on it.

ShamePain

Banned
I legitimately can't think of a bigger jump in a series within a generation than from F2 to F3. We can dream, but I'm not counting on it.

Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 2 maybe, Gears 1 > Gears 3 is pretty huge too. In racing games I don't think there's another example.

Shaneus

Yeah, that won't happen. FM3 was insane next to FM2, but there's only so far you can go when you're so close to realism in the first place. I think the best we could hope for with FM6 is that it looks as good as Horizon, but at 60fps.

Reposting what I posted in the OT on Friday.

Taken not too long ago to test that model swapping theory. This was taken in single event race with eleven other cars.
driveclub_20150111005vwlzu.jpg

driveclub_201501110050abj8.jpg

To be honest, I don't see too much of a difference. Apart from the AA from photomode, the only things that pop out to me are the exhaust pipes(is that what they're called?) and the rear lights(though the lights appearning slightly different in photomode I'd attribute to the AA added). Top pic is non-photmode and bottom is. All in all, I think photomode just cleans up the model rather than swaps it.

30IR

Banned
How the hell does DriveClub look SO good?

It looks better than any racing game out there - even on PC!!

Why the hell does it have to be a PS4 exclusive?!?!

Really need a great racing game on PC - tired of The Crew and other NFS garbage (Rivals looks like a bruised turd compared to DC).

Putty

How the hell does DriveClub look SO good?

It looks better than any racing game out there - even on PC!!

Why the hell does it have to be a PS4 exclusive?!?!

Really need a great racing game on PC - tired of The Crew and other NFS garbage (Rivals looks like a bruised turd compared to DC).

Because Evo are masters of their craft.

Hey guys,
does DC have shadow on particles?

Similarly, does project cars?

The best way to test would be to go in front of a shadow from a tree and just do spinouts and donuts to see if the dust cloud is shadowed.

adelante

Hey guys,
does DC have shadow on particles?

Similarly, does project cars?

The best way to test would be to go in front of a shadow from a tree and just do spinouts and donuts to see if the dust cloud is shadowed.
Nope they don't. Gran Tourismo and to certain extent, Forza Horizon 2 does. This was brought up earlier, on mobile now otherwise I would've dug up that post.

ShamePain

Banned
Nope they don't. Gran Tourismo and to certain extent, Forza Horizon 2 does. This was brought up earlier, on mobile now otherwise I would've dug up that post.

Yeah, GT's smoke is most impressive, it's volumetric, receives shadows, propagates in a realistic manner and there's tons of it when you really start burning the rubber. No other racing game comes close. I wonder how it'll evolve on PS4.

adelante

Yeah, GT's smoke is most impressive, it's volumetric, receives shadows, propagates in a realistic manner and there's tons of it when you really start burning the rubber. No other racing game comes close. I wonder how it'll evolve on PS4.

Yeah. I've tried to see if it's in DC but nope, nothing like these:

While we're talking particle effects, I've yet to see smoke trails left by cars in FH2, DC or PCars having the ability to interact with environment shadows like in GT5/GT6:

gt6-smoke-1cws4g.gif

gt6-smoke-2dislt.gif

gt6-smoke-3utsa2.jpg

The only other games where I've seen a similar effect is MGS4, some parts of Uncharted 3 and Tom Clancy's The Division.

I can't speak for DC o PCars, but the smoke/dirt/particles all appear to be affected by light and shadow in FH2.

Even the tail lights when braking light up the smoke with a red haze.

Love how the dirt billows out in this first one, catching the light and shadows
zbgkhx.gif

yhbvmr.gif

ptdeom.gif

Ask and you shall recieve, lol.

saladine1

A great looking racer with great physics is very possible (and if pd keep improving the physics model then look out for gt7, better drive train modelling please pd) and it is only because of apologists in the sim racing community that pc racing games have looked so bad for so long. If players like you were complaining 10 years ago instead of making excuses we might have stunning looking pc racers now.

Oh God, this so very fucking much!

With regards to Forza 6. It seems to me Greenawalt will have nothing to do with anything that takes away a steady,solid 60fps from his game. If that means no weather or night AGAIN, then so be it says Beardawalt.

What are people realistically expecting to happen with Forza 6 in terms of visuals and FPS?
Can they add those features this time around with current Xbone specs?

eso76

While we're talking particle effects, I've yet to see smoke trails left by cars in FH2, DC or PCars having the ability to interact with environment shadows like in GT5/GT6:

gt6-smoke-1cws4g.gif

we've seen smoke intereacting with environment and dynamic shadows since, but damn, GT is the only game with the proper amount of smoke / dust.
Smoke has its presence here, it's not a bunch of ridiculous looking puffs a few mts apart which fade away in a couple seconds max.

CozMick

Banned
Are Turn 10 gonna be using a brand new engine for Forza 6?

They cut corners across the board to achieve 1080p/60 for Forza 5.

KidJr

When you really think about it, for all of its faults (and yes it has many) what Polyphony achieved with the GT series last gen was simply stunning!

CozMick

Banned
When you really think about it, for all of its faults (and yes it has many) what Polyphony achieved with the GT series last gen was simply stunning!

I don't think anyone could question Polyphony's technical achievements regarding GT5/6 compared to the competition.

1440x1080 (40-60fps most of the time)
An unrivalled lighting engine
Day/Night cycles
Dynamic weather, rain and snow.
16 cars on track
The most detailed car models ever seen in a video game (400+ of them at least)
unrivalled smoke effects

All this with a split pool of 256mb + 256mb ram, a crazy assed cpu and a weak as piss gpu.

What are people realistically expecting to happen with Forza 6 in terms of visuals and FPS?
Can they add those features this time around with current Xbone specs?

I think that it's going to be another beautiful looking game, and a big improvement over the already fine looking FM5. Can they add them? Sure, they were toying with the concept even back in the FM3 days, and the very first game in the series had nighttime racing (without dynamic transitions, however). It's all a matter of priorities, scheduling and development resources. Driveclub also wouldn't have weather had it not been delayed for a year (and a bit more, considering that weather was added in a post-launch patch).

What it will/would look like is another question entirely, but Turn 10 hasn't disappointed me yet, and I'm thankful for their insistence on rock solid frame rates.

Are Turn 10 gonna be using a brand new engine for Forza 6?

They cut corners across the board to achieve 1080p/60 for Forza 5.

Surely no chance of a new engine. It powers 60fps track racers and 30fps open world, it's solid and flexible enough already.

The Forza 2-4 comparison may again be valid, we'll hopefully get the best within their self imposed restrictions, as T10 further optimise it should afford them more elbow room plus whatever freed up resouces the console now has.

Yiazmat

we've seen smoke intereacting with environment and dynamic shadows since, but damn, GT is the only game with the proper amount of smoke / dust.
Smoke has its presence here, it's not a bunch of ridiculous looking puffs a few mts apart which fade away in a couple seconds max.
Yep, the volume of smoke GT has it's just amazing

iwkhw5p3iaaleh5joy.gif

Gestault

irgw56RHeWAAg.gif

I think the best smoke I've seen is still the steam-engine train race in FH2. All the dust/smoke/etc in the game was a huge improvement from what had been done in Forza 5, but seeing it interact with the geometry and lighting (including its own density) was a first for me, even having played GT5/6.

Top Bottom