• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation Handhelds Prediction Thread

Baki

Update:

It has been over six months since the Nintendo 3DS E3 reveal. Now with the dawn of the PSP2 announcement, I think it is appropriate to bump this thread with all the new revelations since then.

Introduction:

With the announcement of the Nintendo 3DS and analysts calling for the replacement of the PSP, it is evident that the dawn of a new era of handhelds is approaching us. E3 is the expected venue of reveal for both handhelds and I decided that this would be the perfect time to record our expectations for this new era of handheld gaming. But before that, I will chronicle all notable rumours regarding these portable vixens.

Details and Rumours:

General:

- Hitachi and Sharp are making 3D screens for gaming machines.

Nintendo 3DS:

Confirmed Details:

- Uses 3D w/o need for glasses
- Backwards compatible with DS, DSi
- Release February 26th (JAP), Before March 2011 (PAL/NA)
- 24,980 yen (NA and PAL regions unconfirmed)
- 1.5M (JAP), 2.5M (PAL and NA) shipment by March 31st, 2011.

Rumours:

- £200 - £230 UK Price
- $299 US price.

Source

- Sharp 3D Touch Screen
- To be used in a games console
- Works 30cm away from face
- Begins mass production in April 1, 2010.

Source

Sony:

Confirmed Details:
- Sony Erricson is working within another division in SONY to bring another reputable SONY brand to their phone line up.
- The device is poweful.

Rumours:

- Motion sensors
- Rear Touch Pad
- Two analog nubs
- No UMD drive, games come on carts/memory sticks or downloaded.
- Cell Derivative CPU/Tegra 2 chipset
- PS3/360 Like graphics.
- HD "like" screen
- PSPGo like design scrapped in favour of a slate design due to heat/battery issues.
- 1GB of ram
- Fall 2011 launch
- Two Cameras
- Could be 3G enabled
- Could support Playstation Pocket mobile platform.

Source 1, Source 2, Source 3, Source 4, Source 5, Source 6
Source 7
Source 8
Source 9

front.jpg

back.jpg

Predictions:

Please structure your predictions like this:

Technical Specs:
- CPU
- GPU
- RAM
- Wireless Capabilites (e.g. Wifi/3G data connection/Bluetooth etc..)

Features:
- Example 1: Capacitative Touch Screen
- Example 2: Rumble

etc...

Miscellaneous:
- Product Name
- Price
- Release Date
- Reveal Date
- YTD/LTD prediction

My PSP 2 Predictions:

Baki said:
Alright here's my prediction:

Technical Specs:
- CPU - 4 Cores PowerVR SGX 543MP
- GPU - 4 Cores PowerVR SGX 543MP
- RAM - 256MB
- Wireless Capabilites - Wireless N, 3G* and Bluetooth

* More of a hope for both SKU's and a definite for the phone.

Features:
- 8GB/16GB internal memory
- LED Capacitative Touch Screen (Multi-Touch)*
- Rumble
- Tilt Sensor
- Two Analog Nubs
- Slide in design
- Application Store
- Backwards compatible with PSP
- NO UMD drive. Games will be on flash memory or downloaded.

*Maybe even the 3D Sharp screen. It is high-resolution and reported to be used in a gaming machine. That however could be the 3DS.

Miscellaneous:
- Playstation 3G/3D or Playstation Portable 2
- $249.99 /£199.99/€229.99
- November 2010 (JAPAN)/ March 2011 (US/Europe)
- E3 2010 Reveal Date

1-D_FTW

My prediction is the 3DS "3D stick" is not an analog stick. And there sure as heck ain't gonna be two of them.

As for the PSP2, I don't even care you list two sticks under the rumor section. I don't believe that's happening either.

The only two predictions I care to make. The obvious rumors aren't worth repeating and I don't really care what the surprises are. Surprise me at E3.

I really hope the PSP2 has two analog sticks, and is at least as powerfull as a PS2. It would be really great if Sony put nearly every PS2 game up on PSN and let you download them to your PSP2. Touch screens and motion sensors can burn in hell.

Trent Strong said:
I really hope the PSP2 has two analog sticks, and is at least as powerfull as a PS2. It would be really great if Sony put nearly every PS2 game up on PSN and let you download them to your PSP2. Touch screens and motion sensors can burn in hell.

Sony can't even get all of the PSP games on PSN for the PSP itself so you can throw that idea out the window :)

offshore

Sony should unify all its phones as game-capable machines, and not make a gaming-centric portable. I just don't see a market for a dedicated gaming machine from Sony next gen.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Trent Strong said:

yeah cos they don't bring anything new to the gaming experience, nor have they ever helped a console to sell well, console makers want nothing to do with them either....amIdoingitright.gif

DiscoJer

It would make no sense for Sony to launch the PSP2 this year.

For one, they are already pushing the Move. Trying to push two major products would be a disaster.

For another, PSN is a mess. They've managed to alienate most of the handful of people that actually bought a Go.

And lets' not forget Monster Hunter Portable 3. Hmmm, let's have one of the biggest portable games on the year, one that will sell at least two million copies. So lets launch another portable that won't play it!

(And from the released screenshots, we can see it's clearly a PSP game)

What's more likely, IMHO, is a phone from Sony Ericson that can somehow play PSP games downloaded from PSN. Which should have happened years ago, but Sony divisions don't really work together very well...

pje122

Really hoping the PSP2 does not have a second analog stick. Adding another one would be awkward and it really plays great as it is.

I predict western developers will continue to keep their heads up their asses and treat handhelds as second-class citizens compared to consoles.

Takao

Banned
timetokill said:
I predict western developers will continue to keep their heads up their asses and treat handhelds as second-class citizens compared to consoles.

Ubisoft, EA and Activision to remain worldwide leaders in this integral market.

Had a longer post typed up, but the browser stuffed up and I lost it.

Summary:

3DS: - Will be way more powerful than the DSi and priced at the same levels the XL is right now, launching in March 2011. No analog sticks. Some kind of force feedback and tilt sensor and wireless will be "3G-ready", but require a janky software update that doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. Very popular out of the gate, but not quite as much as DS long-term.

PSMobile: - Will be Sony's attempt at an iPhone line. To see it, take the iPhone as it is now (touchscreen, rumble), add some slide-out face buttons and analog nubs and slap the Sony logo on it. Also, gimp the OS. The PSMobile won't be a handheld, per se, but a minimum phone spec for devs to work to as Sony brings out new revisions of it each year.

Pimpbaa

If PSP2 was predicted to come out this year. I now say it has been delayed significantly due to the 3DS.

Peterthumpa

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Had a longer post typed up, but the browser stuffed up and I lost it.

Summary:

3DS: - Will be way more powerful than the DSi and priced at the same levels the XL is right now, launching in March 2011. No analog sticks. Some kind of force feedback and tilt sensor and wireless will be "3G-ready", but require a janky software update that doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. Very popular out of the gate, but not quite as much as DS long-term.

PSMobile: - Will be Sony's attempt at an iPhone line. To see it, take the iPhone as it is now (touchscreen, rumble), add some slide-out face buttons and analog nubs and slap the Sony logo on it. Also, gimp the OS. The PSMobile won't be a handheld, per se, but a minimum phone spec for devs to work to as Sony brings out new revisions of it each year.
back-to-the-future-tm.jpg

If the PSP2 becomes some phone/gaming hybrid my money is going to Nintendo first. I want to game on a handheld platform that is focused completely on games and not apps.

DiscoJer

BlazingDarkness said:
Home consoles to become obsolete? In Japan at least!
Having portables with games visually besting the PS2 generation will be epic.

Watching developers and publishers go bankrupt will not be.

The DS/PSP generation will likely be the best ever for handhelds. Because of the relatively cheap costs of development (less than PS2 generally, a lot less in the case of DS)) allowed for a lot of great games and a lot of experimentation and niche stuff.

Now with great graphics, it means publishers won't take as much chances, and companies will have less of a margin of error if something tanks.

This is also part of the reason the PSP had so many ports - to save development costs.

And of course, in the West, publishers will have to compete with 99 cents games on the iPhone. Look at the whining in the iPad thread about $15 games.

PSP2:
-PS1/PS2 emulation
-some form of memory stick; no UMD
-two analog sticks/nubs
-roughly same dimensions as psp 3000
-OLED display

If Sony can do this, they will have my money. I don't care about the price. I want a quality product.

Peterthumpa

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
If the PSP2 becomes some phone/gaming hybrid my money is going to Nintendo. I want to game on a handheld platform that is focused completely on games and not apps.
Can't see your point. So a device with apps can't have good games?

eggandI

Banned
Trent Strong said:

My thoughts exactly. Leave that motion sensing and touch screen shit to the Wii/3DS/now PS3. Reason I prefer the PSP over the DS is because of the classic controls, graphics and games. If PSP2 jumps the shark it will be be really disappointing.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
benita said:
PSP2 shouldn't won't make it out of Japan.
It's always puzzling to me when a person who professes to enjoy games actively wishes for a scenario in which he is denied games.

DiscoJer said:
Watching developers and publishers go bankrupt will not be.
But the development would be still cheaper/faster than for PS3/360 would it not? I think Japanese developers in particular would prefer that

felipepl said:
Can't see your point. So a device with apps can't have good games?

No, the iphone has plenty of good games and apps but I have yet to see a phone serve as a superior gaming system. A phone with analong sticks? Seems weird. Maybe I'm just old school and like my handheld systems to focus on gaming experiences while allowing my phone to be a phone. I'm just stuck in my old ways I guess?

Deku

Banned
Both will have DD stores.

Sony as I mentioned in the other thread, will try to integrate PSP tech into a constellation of products. They won't compete directly with Apple, but will play in that space much more than directly competing with Nintendo for the handheld audience.

Nintendo will move to a unified Ware service with the 3DS. It's very likely WiiWare/DsiWare will simply become one store. That will signal the next home console will use the same store as well as all future Nintendo devices. Aggregation = win. And I think Nintendo realizes this.
I'd be very surprised to see 3G supported. But not ruling it out.

jedimike

The market will segment. There will always be a place for a kids handheld (that's not meant be a negative, it's the target DS market), but a more advanced system will need to evolve into something closer to a smartphone. Adults don't want to carry a bunch of gadgets around... we just want one gadget that does all handheld functions (music, phone, browser, games, camera, etc.) fairly well.

I think a PSP phone would do very well as a gaming system foremost but does other stuff too, but I also think that Windows Phone 7 with Xbox live arcade games will also do well. It's still a smartphone first, but it should have some great games.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Windows Phone 7. At this point in my life I don't need a full-on gaming experience in a handheld, but I do want the ability to play some good games and have those games count towards my achievements and trophies or whatever for a complete gaming experience at home or on the go.

jedimike said:
Personally, I'm leaning towards the Windows Phone 7. At this point in my life I don't need a full-on gaming experience in a handheld, but I do want the ability to play some good games and have those games count towards my achievements and trophies or whatever for a complete gaming experience at home or on the go.
you'll buy a videogame for achievements? wow. just wow

no wonder the games are so bad these days. they don't even sell systems anymore!

It'd be nice if the PSP2 had an hdmi output, second analog stick, and used cartridges. However, knowing that Sony has been ran by monkey's for the last 5 years I'm expecting their next handheld to be a PSPGo with a touchscreen and accelerometers.

wondermega

it's very hard for me to predict the shape of things to come. The mobile market has gone pretty topsy-turvy the last couple of years (not necessarily in a bad way).

I look forward to E3 (just around the corner) to get a clearer idea of what to expect, but even then I feel it will be the usual "interesting concepts" glimpses we are normally used to.

I am sad to say it, but I really haven't got much expectation that Sony will be able to pull into the running with their mobile plans. Their device/library/network is full of interesting stuff and it will always please a segment of the harder core gamers, but they are always gonna be playing second fiddle to DS. I don't expect their "trying to battle iPhone" plan to be a wise maneuver on their part. I agree they SHOULD do that, but they don't seem to have the necessary understanding of the market at this point to be doing that effectively. I would like to see them just concentrate on unseating DS.

Nintendo's 3DS will be interesting, it's honestly the first hardware *anything* I am actually excited to get my paws on and likely purchase as soon as it hits, but after thinking on it a bit I am supposing it's going to be a lot more gimmicky than we'd all love to believe. In a way, it will be to DS what Wii was to Gamecube, if that makes sense. It will sell, and it will be cool, but ultimately I think the DS itself might just outlive/outrank it. Just my 2 cents anyway.

The Windows Phone, or whatever, I am ashamed to say I've paid barely any attention to what's the story with this one. If I was Microsoft I'd likely be explosing with anger for the last several years in that they haven't got anything at this point to counter iPhone - and no one (NO ONE!) cares about the Zune; they have to start from scratch. Windows is an almighty brand though, and I will give MS a lot of credit from watching and learning from their peers (successes and failures) in many cases. I feel like their solution will be the one to watch; I don't think this will be another Zune.

Apple is the weirdo wildcard. Never in a million years did I ever expect them to get so big in the mobile/gaming markets. They've been doing such a silky smooth job of ingratiating themselves into the cultures and leading the way, really. A year and a half ago most gamers scoffed "gaming on a touchscreen only device by Apple, BAH." But they built a scene and it filled a giant hole, and now the tables have completely turned. iPhone is the PS2 of mobile phone gaming; sorta weak and idiosyncratic, but plenty capable and has something for everyone. Right now it's the only available option which also just works as a phone. I am very interested to see their follow-up, though I must say (this is kinda derailing) the iPad just seems like a side-step at the moment. I am expecting them to slip a bit, in light of what Microsoft does if they (MS) nail it..

Sill4

I really hope the next DS has 3G or 4G or 12G or whatever tech is available by then. Being able to play online, even just simple games like chess, anywhere would be amazing.

Although I highly doubt Nintendo will do this.

Baki

Alright here's my prediction:

Technical Specs:
- CPU - 4 Cores CELL Derivative (766MHZ)
- GPU - 2 Cores PowerVR SGX 543MP
- RAM - 256MB
- Wireless Capabilites - Wireless N, 3G* and Bluetooth

* More of a hope for both SKU's and a definite for the phone.

Features:
- 8GB/16GB internal memory
- LED Capacitative Touch Screen (Multi-Touch)*
- Rumble
- Tilt Sensor
- Two Analog Nubs
- Slide in design
- Application Store
- Backwards compatible with PSP
- NO UMD drive. Games will be on flash memory or downloaded.

*Maybe even the 3D Sharp screen. It is high-resolution and reported to be used in a gaming machine. That however could be the 3DS.

Miscellaneous:
- Playstation 3G/3D or Playstation Portable 2
- $249.99 /£199.99/€239.99
- November 2010 (JAPAN)/ March 2011 (US/Europe)
- E3 2010 Reveal Date

Baki

Nintendo's 3DS will be released a full two months in advance of Christmas this year, CVG can reveal.

UK industry sources have today informed us that the platform holder is readying an October launch for the system - which it will announce at E3.

That means it will go head-to-head with Microsoft's own great hardware hope this winter, Project Natal.

News of an October launch was a surprise for the execs we spoke to - as Nintendo had only previously announced that the handheld would hit shelves before March, 2011.

An October launch pre-dates that expiry date by a full six months - and gives Nintendo a three-month run-up to Christmas.

One very senior publishing source told CVG: "It's a surprise - we were expecting it much closer to Christmas. But I suppose it gives Nintendo the opportunity to get it front and centre in people's minds nice and early.

"In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4."

The 3DS allows gamers to enjoy software with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses - but will also play regular DS titles.

Professor Layton developer Level 5 is reportedly creating a custom 3D game for the system.

Nintendo describes it as 'the new portable game machine to succeed [the] Nintendo DS series'. Take from that what you will.

CVG asked Cambridge University 3D experts how the device might work earlier this year.

We haven't yet got hold of a specific launch date - but Sunday, October 10 (10/10/10) is surely a front runner.

Nintendo told CVG today's story was merely "rumour and speculation". We get that a lot.

CVG has been told that the 3DS will have an October release date.

Source

It's possible that they got a leak from Sony about a possible PSP2 launch close to DS2 and so they decided to launch it earlier to get a little advantage.

Baki

Lagspike_exe said:
It's possible that they got a leak from Sony about a possible PSP2 launch close to DS2 and so they decided to launch it earlier to get a little advantage.

Sounds like a worldwide launch to me? I wonder if SCE will follow suit? I know MOVE will be a big marketing focus in the west, so that may conflict with a PSP2 launch in the west this fall.

GamerZero

If the 'PSP2' ends up using no physical media for it's games just only DD and if the PSP2 is a phone/gaming hybrid I'm getting the 3DS for sure.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sony going with touchscreen? Maaan, fuck that. I don't want shitty porting from 3DS to PSP2 and vice versa. Was fine with each game being developed for one handheld only. No dev better try to cash in and port DS games to PSP2.

Also, donotwant phone please. It's probably the smarter business move but I'd rather not have it.

The only update we'll see to the PSP will be a phone and, as others have said, it'll try to cash in on Apple's app-store success etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see it actually have the same spec - or similar - as the PSP now, and just play off the existing minis line. I'd bet we won't see a PSP2 - a full, new, amped-up handheld - in a long, long time, if ever.

Baki said:
Sounds like a worldwide launch to me? I wonder if SCE will follow suit? I know MOVE will be a big marketing focus in the west, so that may conflict with a PSP2 launch in the west this fall.

I was more thinking of a spring release for PSP2, so Nintendo switched to Fall to counter that move.

Mandoric

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
Sony can't even get all of the PSP games on PSN for the PSP itself so you can throw that idea out the window :)

PS2 ports obviously won't happen, but just like region-free with PS3 a new platform gives new opportunities to force compliance. I doubt any PSP2 games will make it through approval without DD support, unless Sony abandons the entire concept due to the Go (which would be kind of dumb even for them).

DiscoJer said:
And lets' not forget Monster Hunter Portable 3. Hmmm, let's have one of the biggest portable games on the year, one that will sell at least two million copies. So lets launch another portable that won't play it!

(And from the released screenshots, we can see it's clearly a PSP game)

I don't think it's too far a situation from Pokemon Black/White. Especially if PSP2 is BC with PSN PSP soft, which is far more likely than bolting a UMD drive onto the thing. Most platforms that don't go down in flames see big mass-market hits long after the cutting edge moves on, because the easiest way to make a big mass-market hit is for, eh, I dunno. Tens of millions of people to own the platform in each territory, rather than a few hundred thousand who just burnt their entire gaming budget on one hunk of shiny plastic.

Top Bottom