• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation Handhelds Prediction Thread

Baki

Lagspike_exe said:
I was more thinking of a spring release for PSP2, so Nintendo switched to Fall to counter that move.

Well Nintendo does not really need to counter SCE is the portable space. Actually it should be the other way round.

H_Prestige said:
PSP2:
-PS1/PS2 emulation
-some form of memory stick; no UMD
-two analog sticks/nubs
-roughly same dimensions as psp 3000
-OLED display

If Sony can do this, they will have my money. I don't care about the price. I want a quality product.

adding this: WPA-2 security support!!!! That s*** better be in the next gen for all handheld systems.

I will not buy another handheld that has WPA or lower security support.

I don't understand why people are saying that Sony shouldn't or won't release a PSP2 when PSP has sold over 60 million units. That is amazing considering this is Sony's first attempt into the handheld market. It would be ridiculous for them not to release another PSP.

Baki

theusedversion said:
I don't understand why people are saying that Sony shouldn't or won't release a PSP2 when PSP has sold over 60 million units. That is amazing considering this is Sony's first attempt into the handheld market. It would be ridiculous for them not to release another PSP.

Quite a few people are unable to see past the PSP recent western performance. Especially NPD's.

I'm not sure how I feel about a PSP phone. I think the idea of a PSP phone is great and has a lot of potential but I am not confident that Sony would do everything that needs to be done to support it. It would need a crazy expensive marketing campaign. For it to be successful it would need to be a phone first and gaming handheld second instead of a gaming handheld with phone features. I'm kind of hoping that the phone turns out to be a completely separate product from the PSP2. It seems to me that it would be better if they got their feet wet with the idea of a PSP/phone hybrid before jumping in head first. Maybe the next iteration could be a complete and true hybrid of the two.

camineet

Banned
With PSP already being almost as powerful as PS2, and 3DS likely surpassing PSP & PS2, I expect PSP2 to be significantly more powerful. More like an Xbox1 at the least.

I predict Nintendo will go with a different name after we've all gotten used to called it the 3DS.

They'll go with ∏, but we'll all end up affectionately calling it "pii".

theusedversion said:
I'm not sure how I feel about a PSP phone. I think the idea of a PSP phone is great and has a lot of potential but I am not confident that Sony would do everything that needs to be done to support it. It would need a crazy expensive marketing campaign. For it to be successful it would need to be a phone first and gaming handheld second instead of a gaming handheld with phone features. I'm kind of hoping that the phone turns out to be a completely separate product from the PSP2. It seems to me that it would be better if they got their feet wet with the idea of a PSP/phone hybrid before jumping in head first. Maybe the next iteration could be a complete and true hybrid of the two.

i have serious doubts too. im seeing a massive trade-off in specs. no onboard storage, proprietary parts, etc

im still hoping they come correct but theres really nothing in their track record that says they will...

Baki

theusedversion said:

Basically both the phone and PSP2 will meet certain minimium specs and have the same OS. But the marketing campaigns will be seperate.

McHuj

Unless something major changes between Sony and Ericsson, a PSP phone will have to be made by the joint venture of Sony-Ericsson. It could happen, I guess, but I think a proper PSP2 will only carry the Sony brand name and play only games.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony-Ericsson released a phone that can access PSN for some content and play some elaborate games, maybe even PSP1 games. While the PSP2 is Sony's flagship portable gaming device.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I hope Sony doesn't really intend to make the PSP2 an iPhone competitor. They'll only get burned.

Vinci

Danish
Kilrogg said:
I hope Sony doesn't really intend to make the PSP2 an iPhone competitor. They'll only get burned.

I think it might find some traction if they market it as a less expensive alternative to the iPhone. Movies, games, nice clean design, and not too high priced or hit with too hefty of a monthly fee. There's enough cell-phone users to warrant at least taking a look and possibly buying it. Taking it on directly, however, would be utter suicide, and they sure as hell should do everything in their power to have their phone be based around a different focus - like how MS is seemingly positioning the Courier compared to Apple's iPad. Make them distinct enough that someone might even feel it's worth having.

Baki

Vinci said:
I think it might find some traction if they market it as a less expensive alternative to the iPhone. Movies, games, nice clean design, and not too high priced or hit with too hefty of a monthly fee. There's enough cell-phone users to warrant at least taking a look and possibly buying it. Taking it on directly, however, would be utter suicide, and they sure as hell should do everything in their power to have their phone be based around a different focus - like how MS is seemingly positioning the Courier compared to Apple's iPad. Make them distinct enough that someone might even feel it's worth having.

With the Phone they can market it as a - multimedia device (with real potential in Japan).

With the PSP 2 they can market it as a - hardcore gaming device.

I think the phone will allow them to (A) net a profit on HW and (B) enter a new market and so fudge their install base numbers a bit (to convince devs to jump on).

Vinci

Danish
Baki said:
With the Phone they can market it as a - multimedia device (with real potential in Japan).

How do multimedia devices tend to do in Japan? Wasn't the PSP itself originally marketed in that fashion?

With the PSP 2 they can market it as a - hardcore gaming device.

Again: How is this different than what they did with the PSP?

I think the phone will allow them to (A) net a profit on HW and (B) enter a new market and so fudge their install base numbers a bit (to convince devs to jump on).

Okay, well this at least is different. I don't see any inherent advantage to following the same (or a similar) course of action that they used before. They need to seriously rethink their handheld strategy at this rate.

For Nintendo I predict that they will continue to go their own path in innovation both with hardware and software. They will continue to make handhelds solely for gaming.

For SONY I expect them to try to compete with the iPod Touch/iPhone market by making a SONY media device.

I also predict that unless something major comes from the console side, handhelds will start gaining more mindshare than consoles.

Baki

Vinci said:
How do multimedia devices tend to do in Japan? Wasn't the PSP itself originally marketed in that fashion?

Again: How is this different than what they did with the PSP?

Okay, well this at least is different. I don't see any inherent advantage to following the same (or a similar) course of action that they used before. They need to seriously rethink their handheld strategy at this rate.

Well having two different products allows them to have two different marketing focuses and potential demographics. With the original PSP they tried to do everything which meant they focused on nothing. This time, if they seperate the individual focuses to individual products they can effectively run two marketing campaigns with two different messages.

The Phone will be marketed towards the iPhone/iPod crowd.

The PSP 2 will be marketed towards the gaming crowd (PSP/DS crowd).

Also because phone users like to buy a lot of small games (potentially minis) they can fudge both the install base and attach rate numbers making the platform "appealing" to developers.

EDIT: What I feel can be a real ace in the hole for the PSP 2 could be 3G multiplayer online support. Which means you could play people anywhere as long as you had a 3G data connection signal. The 3G data usage could be part of a subscription fee to Sony (and Sony gives a cut to network providers).

EDIT 2: A Playstation Smart Phone has potential in Japan since its not dominated by the iPhone.

nyong

Banned
A second analog nub on PSP2 is virtually a guarantee. How else will they exploit their PS2 library? - omitting one is throwing money away.

Also, my prediction for Sony: backwards compatible, but without physical disks.

I'm not exactly up to date on handheld news but my predictions for PSP2 and Playstation Phone are as follows:

PSP2
I think its going to pretty much be an upgraded PSPGo with most of the features that consumers have been asking for.
Upgraded Specs
Built-In Flash Storage (16GB min)
Smaller Size, Smaller Screen (its going to be tiny)
Two Analog Nubs
Motion Sensor
Touch Screen
Slide-Screen
Retail Games On Flash Media
Digital Download Version Requirement For All Games
Netflix Support
Tons Of Multimedia Features

PLAYSTATION PHONE
Little in common with PSP2. A Playstation branded phone with PSN access and the ability to play some games. It will be built with games in mind (such as controls) but will still be a phone first and foremost.

thcsquad

Kilrogg said:

One word: Japan.

More words: Worldwide, I don't think it would be more popular than the iPhone, but it doesn't necessarily have to do that in order to be successful. The PSP is well behind the DS in sales, but 60 million sales is still a success. I don't see any reason why a PSPhone couldn't be at least as successful in Japan as the PSP has been. In the US it will never overtake the iPhone, but it could still have some success.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:

That's basically what I'm hinting at. Though... Maybe it's just me projecting my own preferences on the market, but I don't know that going multimedia + phone with an emphasis on games would prove sensible and successful for Sony. Plus it's quite a challenge to make such a versatile device and make it affordable at the same time (well, more affordable than an iPhone).

It could simply be that I lack any sort of imagination for those things (it most likely is, actually :p), but I just don't see much leeway for Sony and the PSP. It would be hard for them to make a gaming handheld and hope to be successful with Nintendo and the DS around. I don't see how they could differentiate themselves in any meaningful way, let alone compete head-on with Nintendo. Going all-purpose seems just as hazardous and challenging, especially when Apple's already there. As you said, positioning the PSP2 as a cheaper alternative to the iPhone could be a good idea, but even that in my opinion will only allow Sony to be mildly successful. Yet I don't know how they could differentiate themselves any other way than aiming for affordability.

I'd really, sincerely hate to be in the shoes of the guy responsible for Sony's product strategy with the PSP2.

ckohler

padd.jpg

Sorry, thought this was OT.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
A bunch of us already posted our E3 predictions for the 3DS in the official thread for that, but I'll repost them here.

My predictions

Price: $200 ($199.99)
Release Date: 1st week Nov Japan/3rd week Nov NA (the week before Thanks/Black Friday)
Hardware: Purple lunchbox hardware shrunk to 3DS size (Gamecube like graphics)
Hardware: 512mb RAM
Hardware: Accelerometer built in
Hardware: 802.11g built in with some form of WPA support (NO 3G HERE)
Controls: 1 Analog stick with the stick being on top and d-pad bellow ala Cube/Xbox
Screens: Both 3d and both touch (they'll be the exact same screen on top and bottom)
Extras: 2 cameras in virtually the same position as DSi to be BC and for 3DS use
Extras: A mic not sure about placement though along with the headset/phone jack
Storage: 2 gigs internal + SD Card Slot
DLC: DSiWare + 3dsWare + Virtual Gameboy
Browser: Custom version of Opera MOBILE not preinstalled but dlc from the shop
Games: Mario Platformer launch title (Kart WON'T be a launch title released 1st half 2k10)
Colors: 2 colors at launch either Black OR White + a Funky color for Kids/Girlfriends

NIGHT-

Would it be best for me to go ahead and preorder the Big Boss PSP, or wait until E3 to see if any PSP2 info is announced?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
thcsquad said:

More words: Worldwide, I don't think it would be more popular than the iPhone, but it doesn't necessarily have to do that in order to be successful. The PSP is well behind the DS in sales, but 60 million sales is still a success. I don't see any reason why a PSPhone couldn't be at least as successful in Japan as the PSP has been. In the US it will never overtake the iPhone, but it could still have some success.
If the system becomes a phone it competes with other phones for features. Sony competes with carriers for quality and pricing. It competes with the PSPgo for bad ideas™

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NIGHT- said:
Would it be best for me to go ahead and preorder the Big Boss PSP, or wait until E3 to see if any PSP2 info is announced?

Depends on how big of a MGS nerd you are. It's a really great deal, but if you just like MGS you could always wait and see what goes down. I mean not like you won't be able to get a PSP and the Game. It just might cost you a little more and you won't have the MGS theme PSP.

Vorg

Banned
camineet said:
With PSP already being almost as powerful as PS2, and 3DS likely surpassing PSP & PS2, I expect PSP2 to be significantly more powerful. More like an Xbox1 at the least.

I don't think this is possible without having the battery run dry in 30 minutes.

CamHostage

NIGHT- said:

I really don't believe we'll be getting PSP2 until 2011.

Myself, I'm in the market for a new PSP too since I mangled mine, and it's killing me to have to buy a new one when PSP2 seems so close (and I have a launch PSP too, I almost made it!) Maybe hold out until E3 in June to see if they drop the price, but waiting on PSP2 will I think not pay off.

jiggles

Banned
acidspunk said:
I don't think this is possible without having the battery run dry in 30 minutes.

I really hope Sony put battery life as a high priority with their next handheld. It's not much fun when you have to be tethered to the damn mains half of the time.

thcsquad said:

Bingo. The smartphone market in Japan is wide open since the iphone hasn't been all that successful there. It may be the one market that the PSP may tie or outsell the 3ds next generation.

Baki

Brettison said:
A bunch of us already posted our E3 predictions for the 3DS in the official thread for that, but I'll repost them here.

My predictions

Price: $200 ($199.99)
Release Date: 1st week Nov Japan/3rd week Nov NA (the week before Thanks/Black Friday)
Hardware: Purple lunchbox hardware shrunk to 3DS size (Gamecube like graphics)
Hardware: 512mb RAM
Hardware: Accelerometer built in
Hardware: 802.11g built in with some form of WPA support (NO 3G HERE)
Controls: 1 Analog stick with the stick being on top and d-pad bellow ala Cube/Xbox
Screens: Both 3d and both touch (they'll be the exact same screen on top and bottom)
Extras: 2 cameras in virtually the same position as DSi to be BC and for 3DS use
Extras: A mic not sure about placement though along with the headset/phone jack
Storage: 2 gigs internal + SD Card Slot
DLC: DSiWare + 3dsWare + Virtual Gameboy
Browser: Custom version of Opera MOBILE not preinstalled but dlc from the shop
Games: Mario Platformer launch title (Kart WON'T be a launch title released 1st half 2k10)
Colors: 2 colors at launch either Black OR White + a Funky color for Kids/Girlfriends

512MB ram is a bit much. 256MB max (with 128mb being more likely).

-viper-

Banned
as long as the PSP2 is backwards compilable, i'll be there DAY ONE. oh and it needs 2 analog sticks and buttons.

1-D_FTW

3DS:

I predict a 3.4 inch 3D touchscreen on top.

A 3 inch stock DS touchscreen on bottom.

A slideout design where the 3D touchscreen is on top and can be used for casual games without controls.

An analog stick.

Taken from the 3DS thread after the FCC leak.

Baki

Not long till E3 guys. Put in your predictions before then.

Here's my 3DS Prediction:

Technical Specs:
- IBM Broadway CPU (550MHZ ~ 26nm)
- Flipper Derivative GPU
- 128MB RAM
- Wireless N

Features:
- One Widescreen 3D Screen (non-touch), One 4:3 Touchscreen
- 3D Stick
- Rumble
- Tilt Sensor

Miscellaneous:
- Nintendo 3DS
- October 2010 Release (Japan), November 2010 (Europe and NA)
- $199/€199/£164.99

GDGF

Soothsayer
I must have missed this thread.

My predictions are already in that big ol 3DS thread floating amongst billions of other posts. I might fish them out and put them here eventually, but if not, they still stand dammit :lol

careful

One lesson I hope Sony can learn from Nintendo is to make the battery life last a good while.
The thing could be the power of PS4 on the go, but if it lasts 1hr before the battery dies, it's completely fucking useless.

I don't care about anything else, I don't care about specs and I don't care about innovative ideas. If they are there and are well used, that's great!
The only thing I expect is must-play games. That is all that will convince me into buying a handheld system :p

Baki

Given the nature of recent rumours, I think this thread is primed for a bump. I've updated the OP accordingly.

Baki

Baki said:
Not long till E3 guys. Put in your predictions before then.

Here's my 3DS Prediction:

Technical Specs:
- IBM Broadway CPU (550MHZ ~ 26nm)
- Flipper Derivative GPU
- 128MB RAM
- Wireless N

Features:
- One Widescreen 3D Screen (non-touch), One 4:3 Touchscreen
- 3D Stick
- Rumble
- Tilt Sensor

Miscellaneous:
- Nintendo 3DS
- October 2010 Release (Japan), November 2010 (Europe and NA)
- $199/€199/£164.99

Lol, I was completely wrong about the release date and most likely price. :lol

Baki

Alright people. 6 days till the PSP2 reveal. Get yo' predictions in.

My Revised Prediction:

PSP2/Playstation Pocket HD/Playstation Portable HD/Playstation Portable 3G

- $249.99/24,900 yen/€249.99/£214.99 (4GB SD card - WiFi only, limited quantities)
- $299.99/29,800 yen/€299.99/£249.99 (16GB - WiFi only, standard model)
- $399.99/34,900 yen/€349.99/£289.99 (32GB - 3G)
- Cortex A9 Dual Core 1GHZ/4-Core Mini Cell 800MHZ
- PowerVRSGX543MP 4 Core Edition
- 1GB Ram
- 4.2" Retina Display (900X550), Multi-Touch Display, Rear Touch Panel
- SD Card Slot
- Wireless N, 3G (in selected models)
- Full PSN Integration (Friends list, Cross Game Chat, Custom Music, Trophies)
- Cross Platform Play in selected games (Uncharted: Portable by Sony BEND, COD/MOH/Battlefield 3)
- October 2011 (Japan), November 2011 (Worldwide)
- Playstation Pocket integration (Playstation mini's 2.0 platform which is compatible across multiple devices)
- Application Sore (linked with Playstation Pocket)

Launch Games:
- Lumines HD (Playstation Pocket/PSN)
- Uncharted Side Story*
- Monster Hunter Portable 3G (launching on Wii as well)
- Minna No Golf
- PES/FIFA
- Motorstorm Portable
- New IP
- Battlefield 3
- Sly 4
- Resident Evil
- Super Street Fighter IV
- Ridge Racer
- Starhawk*

Future Games
- GTA San Andreas Stories