• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Playstation Event?

Nothing..... crazy enough, not a single game has been announced, nor any release schedule and/even rumors for 3/4Q24...
None of their major first party studios are due for a game this year, given the average length of development time(4-6 years). Maybe Team Asobi will release something? It's just a lull period for their first party studios

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nothing..... crazy enough, not a single game has been announced, nor any release schedule and/even rumors for 3/4Q24...
None of their major first party studios are due for a game this year, given the average length of development time(4-6 years). Maybe Team Asobi will release something? It's just a lull period for their first party studios

I don't think its happened in the entire history of playstation. They have to have something to launch the ps5 Pro with.....

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This has to be the year of a new sucker punch game, right?

FF7 rebirth for the early game of the year exclusive, then Ghost of T 2 for fall?

yurinka

Does anyone know anything about it?

What you expect to see?

What games will probably announced?

Did you like the Playstation catalog this year?
PlayStation has several events every year, and as I remember the last one was a while ago. In September for TGS if I'm not wrong. Meaning, very likely they'll make another one soon. Pretty likely next month.

I assume they'll make in February or maximum March one focused on 3rd party/indies coming during the first half of the year. Or mabe a FFVII Rebirth focuced one.

And then in late May / Early June I think they'll make another one more focused on 1st party games coming in the next couple years, but also including 3rd parties/indies coming specially during H2 2024.

This has to be the year of a new sucker punch game, right?
Ghost of Tsushima 2

They released GoT and GoT Legends in H2 2020 and its DLC+DC in H2 2021. So they are working in their first new next gen big AAA game, meaning it will take around 6-9 years of development. and as H2 2024 they'll only have 3-4 years of development and would be 2-6 years from release.

With a couple exceptions, in recent times Sony waits until around a year and a half before the planned release to show a big game. In this case, we're talking about very likely they should show it around 2025 or 2026 minimum.

So I think it makes more sense for them that if they show something this year would be a trailer of the upcoming GoT movie or a GoT PC port, unless they want to wait to release it relatively close to the movie or consider they already have their PC roadmap too busy this year with Helldivers 2, HFW, TLOU2R, Concord and who knows if this time maybe MLB too.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't think its happened in the entire history of playstation. They have to have something to launch the ps5 Pro with.....
I thought Concorde was coming this year. I get it's not the genre everyone wants, but it is a 1st party game. At the very least I like the 70s disco sci-fi art style.

Last edited:
Interested in Pacific Drive

1677615527173kC6CiijdJD7CS3Bd.gif
I am not entirely sure If I am interested or if this might be like Snowrunner, a game that in theory sounded just unique and very different from normal racing or open world car traversal stuff, but just sucked once I tried it for an hour, but it must have been the last PS4 show like surprise reveals for me. My mind went to Ghostbusters reboot/spinoff or whatever but once the trailer was finished it was made clear(er) that it is a weird car game. I hope for more such confusing reveals in coming shows, more non sequels.

demigod

If I had to guess a date, probably February 7th. Right before Helldivers 2 and the New Year. They would also want to have another FF7 Rebirth trailer.

yurinka

FF7 rebirth for the early game of the year exclusive, then Ghost of T 2 for fall?
I thought Concorde was coming this year. I get it's not the genre everyone wants, but it is a 1st party game. At the very least I like the 70s disco sci-fi art style.
Cory’s new project

Sony already announced all these first party releases for 2024, including some from top teams:
  • ND: TLOU2 Remastered (PS5, later PC)
  • Arrowhead: Helldivers 2
  • Koei Tecmo: Rise of the Ronin
  • loongforce: Convallaria
  • Guerrilla: HFW PC
  • Sony San Diego: MLB 24
  • Bungie: Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • Shift Up: Stellar Blade
  • Bing Yang: Lost Soul Aside
  • Firewalk (ex-Bungie): Concord
After releasing GoW 2018 Cory Barlog said he was going to take some vacations and after it was going to work on a pitch for a new IP. If he did it and got approved, with 6 years of development we'd have a late 2024 release. Maybe early 2025 due to covid or something. In any case, I assume they may announce it in their next 1st party focused big State of Play/PS Showcase (I assume around late May/Summer as always).

Asobi released Astro in late 2020. A late 2024 is possible, but they said they are working on a game that is bigger than their previous Astro titles, in addition to being incubating projects in other genres and having an R&D team to prototype ideas for future hardware. And they are a small team, plan to grow to 100 people but last time we knew something they had grow to 60-70 people (after moving there the people from the other internal development Japan Studio teams and making a few hires). So they may need more time.

Bend’s new IP
Naughty Dog new IP
Bluepoint’s new game

Should all be getting announced this year at some point, so yeah I would expect a showcase maybe late summer?
Bluepoint's "original content" after Demon's Soul was to work as support team in GoWR (not Valhalla). Their whole team appears in the game credits and many of they employees shown in LinkedIn they worked on since since around Demon's Souls release until around or almost GoWR release.

They didn't have more people to work at the same time in another game, and didn't have a game design team big enough to be the lead team on a brand new AAA or AA game. Their boss also said they moved away from remasters and remakes and were going to work now on 'original content'.

Meaning, their next game after GoWR will be to be a support team in another Sony game leaded by some other studio. There is no Bluepoint game to be announced.

After Days Gone, Bend released post launch content, its PC port and until their next project, the new IP they are working on right now, was greenlighted (in 2021) they were supporting ND on TLOU Online and an unannounced Uncharted spinoff that may or may not be cancelled. AAA games take now like 6 years or more, so Bend won't announce -or at least show- their new IP this year.

We know ND is working on at least 2 new single player games, who knows if 3 now that they cancelled TLOU Online. We know that some time ago they weren't working on TLOU3. We also know that during TLOU2 they only had under development at the same time TLOU Online during the last year.

So whatever game they could announce this year started 4 years ago, just after TLOU2 release (which could be a new IP or Uncharted game). That, or once Bend stopped working on the Uncharted spinoff ND continued with it instead of cancelling i. I think that if it was the case, then it could be announced this year.

There's also the unannouned horror adventure being developed at Firesprite since who knows when. Who knows, maybe it's a TLOU VR spinoff, as they did with Horizon CoM?

Aside from Capcom's Pragmata, Little Devil Inside is the only game from the Playstation 5 reveal event that hasn't released yet. The game was unveiled June 2020.

What even is this game at this point, if not vaporware?
Games need time to be developed, it is very hard to make games and often they get delays due to many reasons, which in many case can't be controlled by the devs. Specially when like in this case the dev is a small team and their first game.

We saw gameplay, the game obviously isn't vaporware. Don't insult them and be patient. They are working on it and will release it when ready (unless they run out of money and have to cancel it and shut down the studio, which I assume won't be the case).

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not true, they already have announced all these first party releases for 2024:
  • ND: TLOU2 Remastered (PS5, later PC)
  • Arrowhead: Helldivers 2
  • Koei Tecmo: Rise of the Ronin
  • loongforce: Convallaria
  • Guerrilla: HFW PC
  • Sony San Diego: MLB 24
  • Bungie: Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • Shift Up: Stellar Blade
  • Bing Yang: Lost Soul Aside
  • Firewalk (ex-Bungie): Concord
After releasing GoW 2018 Cory Barlog said he was going to take some vacations and after it was going to work on a pitch for a new IP. If he did it and got approved, with 6 years of development we'd have a late 2024 release. Maybe early 2025 due to covid or something. In any case, I assume they may announce it in their next 1st party focused big State of Play/PS Showcase (I assume around late May/Summer as always).

Asobi released Astro in late 2020. A late 2024 is possible, but they said they are working on a game that is bigger than their previous Astro titles, in addition to being incubating projects in other genres and having an R&D team to prototype ideas for future hardware. And they are a small team, plan to grow to 100 people but last time we knew something they had grow to 60-70 people (after moving there the people from the other internal development Japan Studio teams and making a few hires). So they may need more time.

I forgot about Ronin.

That’s a big one to watch IMO.

Top Bottom