• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Playstation Event?

Uh they did the PS5 version and expansion in August 2021. It hasn't even been 3 years since then. Sucker Punch also isn't a big studio compared to some of Sony's others. Probably won't be seeing it until at least 2025.
Plus, Sucker Punch Released Iki Island and Multiplayer dlc in 2021. I'm not expecting a release until 2026, honestly. Which is fine. I don't want a rehashed sequel

SJRB

Gold Member
Still waiting for Little devil inside.

Aside from Capcom's Pragmata, Little Devil Inside is the only game from the Playstation 5 reveal event that hasn't released yet. The game was unveiled June 2020.

What even is this game at this point, if not vaporware?

I think they're in a catch 22 in that they don't have a ton worth showing.

You put a showcase together with games like Ronin, Helldivers 2, and the China Project game and its pretty much going to be a dud.

We'll know a lot more within the next couple months when Sony puts out their guidance for the fiscal year, but my guess is that they're expecting a leaner year than last year.

No Spider-Man 2 level games are even on the horizon. It's very possible that Sony is EXTREMELY behind on game development across the board.

Basically, we should assume that the covid year(s) are a blank for Sony in terms of production, with many games not reaching full production until 2021 and 2022.

With games taking anywhere from 4-6 years to develop, the earliest we may really see games of consequence is 2025, but we may be looking at 2026 until we see the games we had hoped to see last year...

You look at Baldur's Gate and that game was probably in early development/planning as early as 2018... Day's Gone for example released in 2019.

I think this is potentially why Connie Booth was let go. We'll see what happens with Herman Hulst going forward.

I'd bet on a State of Play before Rebirth releases, but their next actual showcase to be when they want to reveal the PS5 Pro stuff, so late summer/early fall.

Ramz87

Ghost of Tsushima 2
Bend’s new IP
Cory’s new project
Naughty Dog new IP
Bluepoint’s new game

Should all be getting announced this year at some point, so yeah I would expect a showcase maybe late summer?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
IM surprised that Sony fans don't go after them for not unveiling stuff to be honest. Or at least ask them to talk about something.

Spider man 2 was unveiled like 2 years ago or something, and they haven't showed anything else since?

Sony is lucky they have strong third party exclusives this year. They can coast all the way till the end of the year without telling us anything from their own studios.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sony hasn’t really had a good showcase in over 2 years. For my taste the last good one was when they announced wolverine and that was way back in 2021.

Been wondering for a while if they have been quiet to have a massive blowout. Or they just really fucked up their pipeline by pushing gaas and now trying to course correct.

Objectively this gen for Sony has been far less sparse than PS4 with 1st parties. Hoping it picks up.
When was their last good one? Last good one I can remember is the PS5 reveal showcase in 2020.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
When was their last good one? Last good one I can remember is the PS5 reveal showcase in 2020.
aDEowq8.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Are they wrong? Sony's State of Plays are usually okay-ish at best. The deep dives for already announced games are neat for the people who care I guess, but when was the last time Sony had a legit sick ass show since the PS5 reveal? A show that dropped a megaton, or even had you going "wow, that was dope. I'm pumped".
I don't know honestly. I was just going for the joke. Has it honestly been that long? That's the whole console generation.

Last edited:

You put a showcase together with games like Ronin, Helldivers 2, and the China Project game and its pretty much going to be a dud.

We'll know a lot more within the next couple months when Sony puts out their guidance for the fiscal year, but my guess is that they're expecting a leaner year than last year.

No Spider-Man 2 level games are even on the horizon. It's very possible that Sony is EXTREMELY behind on game development across the board.

It wouldn't be a showcase, it would be a SOP. It's been rumored, and I would be surprised, if there is not a SOP before HD2 releases in 2 weeks.

The first 6 months Sony has a great exclusives lineup to showoff with HD2, FF7, Ronin, Stellar Blade, Concord, and Silent Hill 2

And I wouldn't say any of their first party studios are drastically behind the 8 ball, maybe besides ND because of Factions. GG and SSM released games in 2022, Insomniac(2023), Sucker Punch(2021 Ghost DLC's). Sony doesnt have many big AAA tentpole studios. It's just a lull period for many of them. Just like last generation, the final 3 years of the PS5 will be a blowout of all these studios releasing games. I really don't think Covid impeded things more than a few months

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony is lucky they have strong third party exclusives this year. They can coast all the way till the end of the year without telling us anything from their own studios.

Are people happy with that?

Just seems bad to me. Nintendo out here killing it every year. Microsoft have steady releases, and looks like this years might be pretty decent.

It would suck if Sony resort to releasing one title every 18 months or something.

It wouldn't be a showcase, it would be a SOP. It's been rumored, and I would be surprised, if there is not a SOP before HD2 releases in 2 weeks.

The first 6 months Sony has a great exclusives lineup to showoff with HD2, FF7, Ronin, Stellar Blade, Concord, and Silent Hill 2

And I wouldn't say any of their first party studios are drastically behind the 8 ball, maybe besides ND because of Factions. GG and SSM released games in 2022, Insomniac(2023), Sucker Punch(2021 Ghost DLC's). Sony doesnt have many big AAA tentpole studios. It's just a lull period for many of them. Just like last generation, the final 3 years of the PS5 will be a blowout of all these studios releasing games. I really don't think Covid impeded things more than a few months

So much of this is wrong.

"Great" exclusives? Define great please, because that sounds like an exaggeration.

I don't think Naughty Dog is behind the 8 ball and we have no idea what resources were dedicated to the online game.

Sony doesn't have many big AAA tentpole studios? Who has more? They literally have the most in the industry and it isn't even close.

And covid has had a much bigger impact than you realize. First stoppage and secondly due to remote work which has also slowed things down.

Last edited:

"Great" exclusives? Define great please, because that sounds like an exaggeration.

I don't think Naughty Dog is behind the 8 ball and we have no idea what resources were dedicated to the online game.

Sony doesn't have many big AAA tentpole studios? Who has more? They literally have the most in the industry and it isn't even close.

And covid has had a much bigger impact than you realize. First stoppage and secondly due to remote work which has also slowed things down.
Microsoft first party dwarfs PS, what are you talking about? Covid has been a minor issue for years now so again what are you talking about?

Microsoft first party dwarfs PS, what are you talking about? Covid has been a minor issue for years now so again what are you talking about?

That's just not true. You're confusing the quantity of studios with the quantity and scale of AAA studios.

And again no, covid has been a major issue for gaming and every publisher will tell you that.

That's just not true. You're confusing the quantity of studios with the quantity and scale of AAA studios.

And again no, covid has been a major issue for gaming and every publisher will tell you that.
No mate, Covid was an issue years ago not anymore. I tell you what how about you count the studios then get back to me.

No mate, Covid was an issue years ago not anymore. I tell you what how about you count the studios then get back to me.

LOL, what did I just tell you, that you're confusing the quantity of studios for the quantity and scale of the studios and you just confirmed it.

https://hbr.org/2021/08/did-wfh-hurt-the-video-game-industry

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busin...er-as-company-issues-return-to-office-mandate

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/game-...isarray-after-forced-return-to-office-mandate

https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-de...ffice-policy-has-cost-us-some-amazing-people/

Are people happy with that?

Just seems bad to me. Nintendo out here killing it every year. Microsoft have steady releases, and looks like this years might be pretty decent.

It would suck if Sony resort to releasing one title every 18 months or something.
So long as sony keeps publishing high quality console exclusives no matter first or third I doubt the casual gamer cares.

Mr.Phoenix

Would you rather have 30 gold coins or 5 type 2a diamonds?

If the concept of quantity and quality still eludes you... how many 90+ games, GPTY winners or even GOTY nominations has MS first party had in the last 4.... no, let's make that 10 years so its at least a fair fight.

Are they wrong? Sony's State of Plays are usually okay-ish at best. The deep dives for already announced games are neat for the people who care I guess, but when was the last time Sony had a legit sick ass show since the PS5 reveal? A show that dropped a megaton, or even had you going "wow, that was dope. I'm pumped".
The last good Playstation event was when they showed God of War 2018

Skifi28

Between announcing smoke 5-6 years of coming out like Xbox did in 2019-2020 and what Sony is doing now of total silence there is a middle ground, that this is already becoming an act of faith with PS, we know that many studios should be ready to present their games but nothing...silence and people get tired of waiting, they will know...
There is no need for faith, we always know what's happening in the next few months. We're absolutely packed with games until March.

FF7 Rebirth is one of the biggest games of the year. And, I think Rise of the Ronin will be amazing, 88-92 Metacritic type game and be a massive surprise.

ND, for sure was all in on a GAAS game. Unless they are completely incompetent, it would be idiotic if they didn't have at least 200-300 people working on Factions. I doubt we see a release from them until 2026.

Of course comparatively, Sony has an amazing amount of First party studios. But its still only like 5-6 studios we are talking about(big AAA SP experiences). Most years, Sony will release only 1 big tentpole game. Hopefully studios like Bluepoint and Housemarque can make the jump this generation

I still think Covid isn't more than a few months of interference. Insomniac has been turning out games more than any other studio in the industry and they live in one of the most restrictive states in America, California. Explain that to me?

Last edited:

Rockman33

If the concept of quantity and quality still eludes you... how many 90+ games, GPTY winners or even GOTY nominations has MS first party had in the last 4.... no, let's make that 10 years so its at least a fair fight.
I know I certainly have spent more time playing Xbox 1st party games than Sony this gen. I own both consoles day 1 of launches.

Basically, we should assume that the covid year(s) are a blank for Sony in terms of production, with many games not reaching full production until 2021 and 2022.

With games taking anywhere from 4-6 years to develop, the earliest we may really see games of consequence is 2025, but we may be looking at 2026 until we see the games we had hoped to see last year...

You look at Baldur's Gate and that game was probably in early development/planning as early as 2018... Day's Gone for example released in 2019.

I think this is potentially why Connie Booth was let go. We'll see what happens with Herman Hulst going forward.

Welp, things'll get interesting the next couple years, then, if this were to pan out. IMO it's not even so much if Sony don't have anything Spiderman 2-level that would be the issue; it's that they wouldn't have a lot in terms of varied 1P traditional content in general that could smooth out the release schedule between the giant games like Spiderman 2 or GOW Ragnarok. It really makes their gutting of the internal AA projects that much worst, and the PC ports are absolutely in no way a comparable trade-off (if anything they risk hurting the brand longer-term in the way Sony are going about doing them).

I know there are the 2P deals with games like Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FF VII Rebirth and such, but how many of those do they realistically have to keep the pipeline going until Venom or Wolverine are ready? And even if either of those are ready, they're still "yet more" superhero games...people seem to be less enthused with the MCU than ever so ironically the best thing for those games would be to distance themselves from the MCU as much as possible until Disney & Marvel get their shit together. I doubt that'll happen, though. For this year and next if talking 1P that isn't GaaS the only assured potential releases are Asobi's next game, maybe something Bluepoint is working on, and that's about it. 2P-wise there's Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Death Stranding 2 (which may not release this year), and a few other titles. 3P exclusives basically seem to be "only" FF VII Rebirth from what we know of for major AAA, and some smaller stuff like Grandblue Fantasy Re:link.

But a problem I think is that most of the games I just mentioned, are either limited timed exclusives or are going to be on PC Day 1 as well so they aren't "genuine" exclusives meaning they won't have maximized impact for selling the console. There's also the chance GTA6 is a late 2025 release, so say a PS5 Pro is coming later this year...is it really going to be a Series X situation where the main selling point is better-running versions of older games?

I can't take a guess when the next State of Play or Showcase is, but I hope whenever that happens, Sony start talking about some of the projects their 1P we haven't heard from in a while are working on. How can you be confident enough to show CG trailers for Fairgame$ and Concord, but not trailers for whatever Naughty Dog's SP projects are? Or what Bend's next game is? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

After Q1 things could become more and more of a toss-up. PC (mainly Steam) is ever growing, Nintendo's likely going to ramp up and launch big with Switch 2 later in the year, and even Xbox might have some semblance of growth again between titles revealed at the Direct, any potential surprising upsets (more and much bigger Square-Enix support for starters), and capitalizing on ABK game perks tied to Game Pass subscriptions. This "Xbox going 3P" talk is half-in, half-out type of stuff and I get a feeling if MS have a sniff of potentially bringing things back momentum-wise with Xbox, a lot of these port rumors don't end up actually happening. And they probably still keep Xbox around as a console. All of these things combined would be quite a lot of tough news for Sony to deal with simultaneously and I could only hope they get the ball going in prime condition again like they managed with the latter half of the PS3 generation.

I want that SIE back, just hopefully without two years of befuddling consequences in the middle of the generation from bad decisions earlier on.

Listen you're wrong on both accounts, PS has nowhere near as many AAA studios stop with the nonsense otherwise list them?

You've pulled 4 articles one dated 2021 the rest 2023, what's that proving exactly? The vast majority of businesses around the world have returned to normality that's the simple facts. PS studios are not producing the goods this generation apart from Insomniac who magically are not affected by Covid 🤔

Who put a 10p in you?

Understandable point, but I do take some issue with this. MC isn't everything; in fact I'd say hedging everything solely on high MC scores to determine quality is a big mistake. I think even Sony put too much stock into MC scores because we know they have turned away from focusing on certain IP if they have a game released at too low a MC score. Many publishers in the industry tie bonus pay to MC scores, too, and it's as if none of these companies realize that most of the reviewers in the MC average have thinly-veiled agendas, and barely know how to play these games anyway.

I think you can have quality AND quantity, especially when you're a platform holder. I like that games such as HiFi Rush, Pentiment and Avowed can exist; are we going to suddenly say PS1 games like Ghost in the Shell, Trap Gunner & Rising Zan were garbage because they weren't the FF VIIs, Gran Turismos and Resident Evils of the platform? These non-blockbuster, non-AAA games can be great in their own right, and justify sticking around if the budgets are sensible. It shouldn't be an either/or choice when you're a platform holder.

Right now I'd say MS and Sony have opposite problems in this front. Sony have the big, super-mainstream AAA tentpole releases like TLOU, GOW, Spiderman and so forth, but they basically gutted virtually all of their more unique, smaller AA-type IP and software catalog. At best we get tastes of that through some 3P exclusives like Kena and Stray, but those shouldn't be replacements. They should be in addition to Sony's own. Microsoft's problem for the longest time is they lacked the big, super-mainstream tentpole AAA exclusives that could be tied directly to their brand, but that might start changing if reception to games like Indiana Jones continues the way it is. I saw places like John Campea talking about that game, and those dudes rarely ever talk about video games. The mindshare in associating Indiana Jones with Xbox is already happening, and it seems a lot more authentic than anything that ever happened with Starfield.

So 1P-wise, if MS are maybe starting to finally address their big problem (granted they had to buy two massive publishers to do so, but still), and they have a good amount of variety with the other 1P titles which may not be GOTY-level but give some flavor and choice among their catalog...is Sony doing anything to get their smaller AA pipeline going again internally? Anything with the current 1P studios in that regard? Any M&As planned to tend to that? At one point they were straight-up dog-walking and dominating Microsoft when it came to 1P variety both AAA and AA level. I think they've lost that advantage over time but would love for them to get that balance back.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Death Stranding 2 is the only announced thing that really has me excited because I found the core mechanics and loop of the original game so engaging; but in addition to that there's an air of mystery about what else it'll be doing.

Though not announced, but pretty much confirmed... Ghost Of Tsushima 2 is a close second.

Beyond that I'm completely non-plussed. I miss the PS3 days -- and to some extent, the PS4 days --where you'd reliably get your socks blown off, mainly at E3 or TGS. It's just been this drawn out cross-gen, even with stuff that's not cross-gen, a lot of it has felt like PS4 games with an extra lick of paint. Where's the next leap, the next revolution in gameplay and simulation in addition to visuals?

I've been dreaming of distinct, dense, layered, futuristic cityscapes with epic traversal and truly living, breathing worlds full of atmosphere. But, we just seem to be wheeling out the same stuff over and over.

I sold my PS5 last year as there's just nothing inspiring to do on it. I plan on picking up a Pro for DS2, GoT2 & GTAVI. Beyond that, I really hope the second half of this gen kicks up a gear..

I really wanna see something fresh and impressive at one of these events soon.

coffinbirth

200w.gif

Sadly, this answers all of those questions. I'd be happy with a Returnal 2, but my faith in Sony is at an all time low.

Looks like Q1 and Q2 2024 is set so i am guessing we will hear more about what will be released in the second half of the year in may/june around the summer games fest time.

Topher

Gold Member
This year is a must for a kickass conference. And I'm not just talking about a PS5 Pro reveal. Time to bring some games from first party studios.

FF7 Rebirth is one of the biggest games of the year. And, I think Rise of the Ronin will be amazing, 88-92 Metacritic type game and be a massive surprise.

ND, for sure was all in on a GAAS game. Unless they are completely incompetent, it would be idiotic if they didn't have at least 200-300 people working on Factions. I doubt we see a release from them until 2026.

Of course comparatively, Sony has an amazing amount of First party studios. But its still only like 5-6 studios we are talking about(big AAA SP experiences). Most years, Sony will release only 1 big tentpole game. Hopefully studios like Bluepoint and Housemarque can make the jump this generation

I still think Covid isn't more than a few months of interference. Insomniac has been turning out games more than any other studio in the industry and they live in one of the most restrictive states in America, California. Explain that to me?

FF7 Rebirth isn't as big as you think it is. Rise of the Ronin probably won't be an 80 either.
Naughty Dog never said they were all in on TLOU Online. They've been working on several projects.
Five or six studios?

Bungie (multiple teams)
Naughty Dog (multiple teams)
Santa Monica Studios (multiple teams)
Insomniac (multiple teams)
Guerrilla Games
Polyphony Digital
Firesprite
Bend Studios
Firewalk
Housemarque
Bluepoint Games
Haven Studios

Listen you're wrong on both accounts, PS has nowhere near as many AAA studios stop with the nonsense otherwise list them?

You've pulled 4 articles one dated 2021 the rest 2023, what's that proving exactly? The vast majority of businesses around the world have returned to normality that's the simple facts. PS studios are not producing the goods this generation apart from Insomniac who magically are not affected by Covid 🤔

How many articles do you want? The impact of covid lasted for months with companies that weren't suited to work from home as they shifted gears to being able to work from home. Most companies were not ready to do so. And even as the pandemic died down, remote work was slowing game development which is where the return to office mandates came in. Why do you think they mandated RTO in 2023? Explain it to me.

Insomniac has been reusing assets across their last 5 games...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The big Showcase last year was dreadful

It would've been pointless to show more than they did. Plain fact is that the Pandemic backlog is going to eat up most of the first couple of quarters of this year. Feb/March are frankly ridiculously overloaded, and there's a substantial amount of already announced product that's going to be coming up after that.

Making announcements for "bragging rights" only makes sense when you are behind and need to rapidly boost profile.

Sony are ahead, so they get the luxury of being able to be tactical with their reveals - in this instance giving third-party partners priority the spotlight and supporting them with first-party titles that are more counter-programming with an eye to expanding their appeal out.

The reality is that for most of the audience shows as a whole aren't that memorable, individual titles are where the heat's at. So spacing out key reveals is way better for building and conserving momentum.

I don't remember the last time I was actually excited for a announcement! it seems like Sony is way too quiet and it feels like there's nothing to look forward too.
I need excitement and as of now I'm 0 excited about anything coming this year.

FF7 Rebirth isn't as big as you think it is. Rise of the Ronin probably won't be an 80 either.
Naughty Dog never said they were all in on TLOU Online. They've been working on several projects.
Five or six studios?

Bungie (multiple teams)
Naughty Dog (multiple teams)
Santa Monica Studios (multiple teams)
Insomniac (multiple teams)
Guerrilla Games
Polyphony Digital
Firesprite
Bend Studios
Firewalk
Housemarque
Bluepoint Games
Haven Studios

How many articles do you want? The impact of covid lasted for months with companies that weren't suited to work from home as they shifted gears to being able to work from home. Most companies were not ready to do so. And even as the pandemic died down, remote work was slowing game development which is where the return to office mandates came in. Why do you think they mandated RTO in 2023? Explain it to me.

Insomniac has been reusing assets across their last 5 games...
I'll explain this to you, on heavy lockdown Naughty Dog released TLOU2 since then they've done nothing new as they were grossly mismanaged, I think that tells you all you need to know.

I'll explain this to you, on heavy lockdown Naughty Dog released TLOU2 since then they've done nothing new as they were grossly mismanaged, I think that tells you all you need to know.

They released a game in 2020. Most games take 4-6 years to develop. How has them not releasing a "new" game mean that they've been grossly mismanaged?

Can you tell me 5-10 studios that have been managed better that make games the size and scale of games that Naughty Dog makes? Can you name studios that have created one of these games since 2020 and has released another game of this size and scope since?

There is a level of delusion that borders on insanity here.

Cornbread78

Imagine if Sony doesn't have a First party none remake game for 2024?

I can't see it happening, they have to have something. But we have no idea of what......

Nothing..... crazy enough, not a single game has been announced, nor any release schedule and/even rumors for 3/4Q24...

Top Bottom