• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

So I'm ridiculously late on comments from the game:

The thing that amazed me most was how well our severely patched OL held up against one of the better defenses in the league. This is the one thing that encourages me going forth, maybe we won't be a top 5-10 pick after all. I'm obviously not going to jump the gun after one game, but Seattle is a pretty good defense to go off of. Protection is what will ultimately decide if we pick in the top 10 next draft, or surprise everybody.

Skelton finally started hot for the first time ever, normally it's always fourth quarter Skelton time. This game was almost the opposite with third quarter being atrocious and Skelton time became Kolb time at the end. Skelly's injury came on a big play where he converted over 15 yards for the first down, maybe he would have led us down the field just as successfully as Kolb, will never know. Fortunately, it's just a lower ankle sprain so he'll probably only miss this week, should be back by week 4 at the latest I believe. Kolb looked fantastic on his drive but it was one drive from the 30-40 so while I appreciate it because every win counts, it doesn't mean shit over all. He has to do that on a consistent basis. He plays far better with no huddle and things opened up. I think if we catered our offense to his skill set, he'd actually be a decent QB but it won't happen. You'd think we would if the FO was so sure he's the guy.

Defense looked pretty great with the exception of the TD catch. That should never have happened and I wasn't happy about it. Normally our goal line defense is amazing. All in all, good defensive play although Seattle's offense is a joke. I give us credit here because I don't care how bad an offense is, an NFL offense getting 80 goal line chances in a row because of severely incompetent refereeing and we stopped all of it, that's impressive. Look forward to playing a real offense and I won't have to wait as we play NE this week. Our CB's are our one weak-point due to inexperience so Brady might eat us alive. I'm hoping we can get to him with the guys up front. Although they tend to use TE's more than anything so hopefully solid safety play will help out.

My one massive disappointment was the ST. They are FAR better than they played on Sunday and they'd better get their ass back in gear. They are solely responsible for 10 Seattle points, Seattle would not have scored shit, let alone the TD, if not for the ridiculous Leon Washington returns allowed. I imagine they'll get chewed out and fix it. On the other side of ST, already had another FG block showing why we're the top FG blocking team in the league.

Finally, FUCK THE REPLACEMENT REFS! Good lord the incompetence! There were so many horrible calls all game but the timeout debacle could have seriously decided the game. They need to bring back the regular refs pronto and it sounds like that won't happen by week 5.... Again, cudos to the Defense for thwarting such ineptitude.

Top Bottom