• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2018 |OT| Can we average a page/commercial?

natjjohn

gfmg1ZZ.jpg

Can you believe the regular season is upon us? Feels like mere days ago that the Eagles took a championship from the evil Patriots and Tom Brady's grasp.

But here we are. I went ahead and pulled from last thread anybody that posted relatively recently or appears still active on the message board and determined their fan allegiance. If want added, just call it out in the thread and will get you included. Admittedly, my picture skills are very low end, so if somebody with actual talent wants to contribute to the cause to make something that looks far superior, please do so I can get it added in. This thread will be the place to have regular, ongoing NFL talk. Posted in off topic, but was hoping mods could hold off on moving to community until at least the first week is up to try to bolster the conversation.

Quick super bowl predictions from myself (feel free to contribute with your own). From the AFC, it is really hard to pick against the Pats; however, gonna do it. Think the Steelers are primed to make their way back to the Super Bowl to try to bring one to Pittsburgh. From the NFC, I'm feeling strong regression from the Eagles for some reason. Think they'll disappoint. Key core guys on offense hurt (Wentz, Alshon, Ajayi). Superbowl Hangover incoming. So that takes me to the Saints. They should've beat the Vikings last year, and I truly think they would've made their way to the Super Bowl. Brees has another good year left in the tank to take it to the big game. When that match up happens, feeling the Saints to bring another back to New Orleans. Never know with the NFL though which is what brings me back over and over.

Here are week 1 match ups:

NFL-2018-Regular-Season-Week-1-Schedule.jpg

To go along with my regression prediction, think the Falcons pull off the week 1 upset over the Eagles. Expect the Pats to smoke the Texans like they always do, and Texans fans to voice concerns about the team right out of the gate. I'm a Colts fan, and simply can't understand how they are favored over the Bengals. Will be shocked if the Colts win.

Enough of my NFL takes, who do your allegiances belong to, who you got for the Super Bowl, and who you got for week 1?

Last edited:

bucyou

Roughly 48 hours til football that matters!

No surprise who my team is. hoping we getting some of that fitzmagic for a few weeks until we can get our alleged uber driver grouper franchise QB back to action.

I'll add more hot takes later on, still finishing up at work.

I'm a huge Panthers fan, so your prediction of the Saints, while perhaps understandable, makes me puke in my mouth.

The NFC South is always hard to predict, and the Panthers are always up and down, but I have a feeling we're looking at a good year this year with Norv at the helm (bye bye Shula). The Saints are loaded. They Falcons are as well. But the Panthers just have a sense of unity that I think is a bit different. Having said that, there have been too many injuries on the O-line, so if we can't protect Cam, it won't be a good year. Hopefully Norv can help scheme for some quick releases, and maybe we can run-block effectively to offset the probable early struggles in pass-protection.

My Super Bowl pick: Chiefs vs Panthers (I'm never a homer when picking, but I will be this year.) And Panthers win their first.

Now on to disappointment. :cry:

Kacho

Gold Member
Thanks for making the OT natjjohn 👊🏻

Mods, I beg you to let us keep this thread in OT. It’ll hopefully encourage more folks to participate this year.

My totally scientific picks for the Super Bowl are

NFC - Minnesota
AFC - Patriots

Shame Wentz is out Thursday but Matt Ryan/Julio Jones vs Philly D should be interesting. Let’s see if Jalen Ramsey was right about Matt Ryan. Lol

I think Matt Ryan's overrated. You can't tell me you win MVP two years ago, and then last year, you a complete bust, and you still got Julio Jones? There's no way that should ever happen. I don't care. You know what that tells me? That tells me [Offensive Coordinator Kyle] Shanahan left, went to San Francisco, got Garoppolo, made Garoppolo this big thing. And now Garoppolo is a big name—and now [Matt Ryan] has this bad year? Alright, well, was it really you, or was it your coach? He was doing what was asked of him and it was making him look really, really good.

https://www.gq.com/story/jalen-ramsey-trash-talk-nfl-interview

Last edited:

TheContact

As a longtime pats fan, that GIF hurts, but here's to a new season. Go Pats!
So excited for football season, can't wait until thurs to watch the season opener.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Bengals offensive line has gotten better with the new additions (Cordy Glenn, Billy Price) because last year's o-line was exactly that--offensive. (I'm still flabbergasted that we let the heart and soul of the o-line, Andrew Whitworth, just walk away)

The defense looks pretty good, although CB2 is a bit suspect (Kirkpatrick has not lived up to his first-round status, although he's not a complete bust).

And please, kick better. So many games squandered last year because of poor kicking.

WHO DEY!

Oh, because the post isn't allowing me to edit for some reason:

For the Super Bowl, it really is hard to pick anybody other than the Patriots from the AFC. They'll always have a sneaky pickup that does well for them--I think it might be someone like Chad Hansen, who impressed at Cal before he got drafted. I think the Steelers will be worse off because of the Bell situation and a shaky defense, especially without Shazier. As for dark horse, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the Ravens will rise from the ashes to look more like the team that won the whole thing a while ago. Not quite up to that level, but they'll be better and Flacco won't be the butt of so many jokes.

NFC, I think the Rams. They've put all their eggs in one basket, and I think they can pull it off. Vikes will regress, methinks, and the Eagles might be suffering from some complacency and a rusty Wentz situation.

It's finally football season. Can't wait for this ride.

dionysus

Yaldog
I am ready for some football.

I do fear that the new NFL version of targeting and other player protection rules are going to piss me off. Too much arbitrary enforcement. Is it going to be like holding, it happens on every play but who knows when it gets called. Also, often times the defender can't avoid it because of what the offensive player does at the last split second.

The Saints are legit super bowl contenders, need the injury gods on our side and some improvement on the offensive side around 3rd down. Oddly enough, I am not too worried about the defense getting it done.

Last edited:
Panthers fan here!

Eagles definitely regress. Anyone but pats in the SB please!

I think giants, vikings, saints, steelers, chargers, and rams have the most potential.

Dallas, Miami, bills do not.

Browns around .500, prob 7-9

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
Browns around .500, prob 7-9

Every year the Browns are projected to almost improve to 8-8. My prediction for the Browns. Hue is a midseason fire, Mayfield has a horrible injury because small elusive college QBs get crushed in the NFL and need great OL protection, and Browns fans wonder what could have been as Sam Darnold looks like the real deal. 1-15.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Sidelines_KirkCousins_1800x760.jpg

Kirk Cousins in Minnesota is the most interesting story line for me this season. If Keenum was able to thrive there, Cousins will push them over the top. Barring any major injuries I expect the Vikings to be the strongest team in the NFC.

Saints and Packers gonna Saints and Packers. Eagles will be competitive but regress. Lions, Panthers and Falcons are 'who knows' tier.

Rams seem strong on paper but I want to see if they can match their brilliance from last season. Having McVay keeps me optimistic.

What are the expectations for the 49ers this season? They got Garoppolo and he looked fine in the games he played. Kyle Shanahan is no doubt going keep them competitive but to what extent I'm not really sure. At the very least they'll be a team to keep an eye on.

The rest of the teams in the NFC are LOL

I am ready for some football.
I do fear that the new NFL version of targeting and other player protection rules are going to piss me off. Too much arbitrary enforcement. Is it going to be like holding, it happens on every play but who knows when it gets called. Also, often times the defender can't avoid it because of what the offensive player does at the last split second.

Yeah, the NFL is going to micromanage the product right out of existence.

THIS is a penalty?!

It won't be long before I check out of my NFL fandom if this is the path the league is going down. I'm all for protecting the players, but what I've seen in the preseason is ridiculous with a capital R.

Meanwhile, Cam still won't get a call for things like this:

Yes, I'm still salty about the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m right outside Philly and none of the Eagles fans around here seem too excited. In talking to a few today they all seem to expect to lose tomorrow night.

I won’t watch football. I am a proud American. To hell with any organization that allows their employees to disrespect the American flag.

Jk. I just watch so much baseball my wife will never put up with me watching both. Have a great season everyone./SPOILER]

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m right outside Philly and none of the Eagles fans around here seem too excited. In talking to a few today they all seem to expect to lose tomorrow night.

Not too surprised. They were the underdogs late last season and they still have a lot to prove with Foles under center. People will jump onboard if they have a hot streak or when Wentz comes back.

Pejo

I'm a Jets and Lions fan, so I'm ready for another year of massive disappointment. At least I'm excited to see how Darnold does.

Kacho

Gold Member
what teams are peoples' biggest surprise of the year??

I think i'll say bengals

I love me some Bengals and wish they were better but no chance. Not with Andy Dalton.

The Jags were my sleeper team for a couple years (their draft last year was absolutely cray btw) but they’ve made it so they can’t be a sleeper anymore.

Maybe the Colts now that Luck is back? Man...I really don’t know now that I think about it.

Lets go RAIDERS!

(this is going to be a painful year)

Mark my words, Gruden will be an absolute train wreck in Oakland. I bet he doesn't make it through year 3 of his 10 year contract. (If he does, it's only because ownership won't eat the loss on the remaining years.) He's such an overrated coach. (by some) I like the guy, but he's not the man for the job.

I dunno, we'll see. Last year was horrid, so I'm curious if this will top it. I live in LA so the Oakland/Vegas move is a good thing to me, means I'm closer to the action.

I just think this is going to be a very painful year, and a very bad year for the whole AFC West...

I think Andy Reid will get the most out of Pat Mahomes. He's always been a QB whisperer, and Mahomes has a lot of natural gifts, to begin with. Reid's problem has always been the post season.

But I'd be awfully uncomfortable if I were a Raider's fan Captain Z. Good luck to you guys, though. Things are always a bit unpredictable, so you never know.

natjjohn

Added all that shouted some sort of allegiance or seemingly had a favorite.

Nice to see some real football talk.

Mark my words, Gruden will be an absolute train wreck in Oakland. I bet he doesn't make it through year 3 of his 10 year contract. (If he does, it's only because ownership won't eat the loss on the remaining years.) He's such an overrated coach. (by some) I like the guy, but he's not the man for the job.

With others, I'm skeptical on Gruden. So many years since he last coached, and in the NFL, things move fast. Such a different game. Also, his early moves, ooh wee, don't look great. Trading for Martavis Bryant. Getting rid of Mack and getting back just an OK haul. Time will tell if he can elevator Carr and Cooper to the next level for the Raiders to be successful. Definitely seems he like he's treating this like a rebuild.

The Niners, although maybe not a huge sleeper with Jimmy G. I can easily see them going 12-4 or 13-3 this year.

Just can't see the 49ers having the season described above. Count me as not a believer. Expect improvement, but 12-4 or 13-3 seems unattainable. See them losing week 1 to kick things off.

I wonder what professional flag football would look like.

I've wondered too. Arena Football League light most likely. Love the game as is, and think now more than ever, the players are adults making their own choices in life as to whether play or not. Kids probably shouldn't play though, which will ultimately lead to a deterioration of the game that I love to watch, bet on, and of course FANTASY!

Last edited:

Gran Puma

Neo Member
Looking forward to watching the Browns this year for the first time in at least 5 years. I'm excited about Baker when he gets a chance, but am not expecting anything crazy, around 5 wins. Unfortunately Jimmah decided to keep Hue, who I hope is gone at some point this season so the team can show some progression.

As far as Super bowl picks I'm going to go with the Patriots for the AFC. Tommy Brady will ride off into the sunset after this season with another ring. I'm going out on a limb and will say that the Rams will somehow make it and Gurley will drag them through the playoffs.

I love me some Bengals and wish they were better but no chance. Not with Andy Dalton.

The Bengals are stuck in QB purgatory. Dalton can range from terrible to just below great, and he is more reliant than most QBs on his offensive line giving him some time. I like Dalton personally, he's shown that he can produce when given the chance (see 2015) and leading the Bengals to the playoffs for several consecutive years is nothing to scoff at.

I do agree that he's not a game-winner (he won't drag his team to a win, not at that level) but teams have won with less at QB before.

The Bengals have a LOT of what ifs that need to go right for them to go far, and I sadly don't think they win all those coin flip situations.

The Bengals QBs seem to follow the same story line. Sometimes good but never great. Starts to get injuries and fade out. Gets replaced and has a short rebirth for another team.

Some have the Seahawks being above 500 but I don't see why. That division will be tougher this year.

I don't see the Niners getting 12 wins or whatever. They still have the same problems that they had last year. No pass rush and no red zone target. Their red zone TD % was still subpar with Jimmy G. They struggled to run in the red zone last year and now their star RB is out for the season. These are the things that will cost them winnable games.

The advanced stats say Matt Ryan had a lot of tipped balls and dropped passes that hurt his numbers last year. Curious to see if he has an improved season.

TwiztidElf

Aussie NFL fan.
Lifelong Dolphin
Also a Charger since 2009 (I was at Qualcomm for Chad Penningtons career ending game funnily enough).

Last edited:
I'm curious to watch the Patriots again. They just keep changing the O-line and receivers at all times, yet nobody ever says "Well Brady didn't have enough help" even though they say that about every other QB when things go wrong. Few years ago Gronk got hurt and missed the rest of the season. That was supposed to be it, yet they won every game after that and the Super Bowl. That organisation is insane and they clearly run their team better than anyone else.

Last edited:

natjjohn

I'm curious to watch the Patriots again. They just keep changing the O-line and receivers at all times, yet nobody ever says "Well Brady didn't have enough help" even though they say that about every other QB when things go wrong. Few years ago Gronk got hurt and missed the rest of the season. That was supposed to be it, yet they won every game after that and the Super Bowl. That organisation is insane and they clearly run their team better than anyone else.

Cheat better than anyone else.

Kacho

Gold Member
Football is back brehs. Can’t wait to see how officiating goes.

Wife and I are ordering Chinese food and watching the game tonight. Can’t wait.

Last edited:
Cheat better than anyone else.

Did you notice that the Pittsburgh Steelers threw a ball this pre-season that was very badly deflated? Like in a way that you could feel it immediately. Pats had zero balls with deflated to that degree. I'm still waiting for the 5 million dollar investigation on this one. Or the HGH deliveries to Manning's house, but I guess that was nothing as well.

At least you didn't go with the "AFC East sucks!" argument. Especially when the Pats winning percentage during the BB era is the same outside of the conference.

If you think they win because they cheat, instead of not overpaying stars and then wondering why they have no cap room and have to move guys like Mack to other teams, well good luck with that. I personally enjoy watching an organisation that is disciplined and knows how to get the most out of their players.

Did you notice that the Pittsburgh Steelers threw a ball this pre-season that was very badly deflated? Like in a way that you could feel it immediately. Pats had zero balls with deflated to that degree. I'm still waiting for the 5 million dollar investigation on this one. Or the HGH deliveries to Manning's house, but I guess that was nothing as well.

At least you didn't go with the "AFC East sucks!" argument. Especially when the Pats winning percentage during the BB era is the same outside of the conference.

If you think they win because they cheat, instead of not overpaying stars and then wondering why they have no cap room and have to move guys like Mack to other teams, well good luck with that. I personally enjoy watching an organisation that is disciplined and knows how to get the most out of their players.

lets be honest here - bradys a stellar player, possibly the goat, but belichik and spygate is a real thing.

and though it may have been the first time they were caught cheating, it's not the first time they've cheated.

Last edited:
lets be honest here - bradys a stellar player, possibly the goat, but belichik and spygate is a real thing.

and though it may have been the first time they were caught cheating, it's not the first time they've cheated.

They are not the only team that has cheated by the way. And spygate was a real thing. Sad thing is, most people think they were taping practices (they weren't) and what they were taping was still allowed by league rules 6 months earlier. BB didn't follow the rule change and got penalised for it.

I just find it interesting that NFL and ESPN would leak out that the Patriots had a huge deflation of game balls (the PSI numbers were false) and then they spent 5 million to investigate something they couldn't even prove. Yet here you have a game where the Steelers are throwing around a ball that barely had any air in it, and nobody said a word. I guess Jim Irsay wasn't involved this time.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
So close

Who’s everyone got tonight? I got Falcons even though they’re playing in Philly. Foles gonna underwhelm.

Last edited:

natjjohn

Foles gonna remember he’s Nick Foles. Gimme the Falcons along with most of the betting public. Generally when public is going hard one way, should go the other, but think the public at large is right with this one.

bucyou

My perfect scenario would be both teams ending up in a tie.

Give me the dirty birds tonight, Matty Ice gonna try to show he deserves his mega extension

Top Bottom