• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2017 (Apr. 27-29) |OT| The Busts of Tomorrow...Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Even with all their picks, the Browns were much more than one QB away this year, especially THIS qb class.

Next year it's likely aside from 3 NFL QB's potentially hitting free agency, that you've got 3 far better QB's (and one in Darnold who's looking like a potential generational talent) and another 5 or so guys at least on the same level as this years top QB's.

Nothing wrong in trying to put the infrastructure in place for the QB to come into

I definitely see that point. I was just basing that off of Hue's declaration he liked one of the QBs, and they tried to get him. If they really wanted him then being overly rigid on the chart isn't productive

nfl.com straight insulting olde dude Mahomes, Patrick, comparing him to Jay Culter, on one deserves that except Ryan Leaf

giphy.gif

it was a joke

Ragnarok

Best I've felt about a browns draft in....forever? None of the QBs were worth the #1 pick. I honestly think Kessler might not be bad at all. Assuming that new offensive line they signed this off-season can keep him upright, I think he can be more than serviceable. People complain about his arm but it's really not that weak. Better than Watsons! Now there's a noodle arm.

Dishwalla

Banned
I really want to have faith in Reggie trusting in Conley, he'd be damned useful, but I just don't want this to be another Aldon Smith type distraction for the team. Hope Conley's meeting with police on Monday goes well.

MechDX

Even with all their picks, the Browns were much more than one QB away this year, especially THIS qb class.

Next year it's likely aside from 3 NFL QB's potentially hitting free agency, that you've got 3 far better QB's (and one in Darnold who's looking like a potential generational talent) and another 5 or so guys at least on the same level as this years top QB's.

Nothing wrong in trying to put the infrastructure in place for the QB to come into

Every year you can say "wait until next year they will be better". I agree you build the team up and be prepared to draft your QB but sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and make your move.

If not you become like the Texans are now. Good enough to make the playoffs but not do too much. They waited since Schaub imploded in 2013 and see where they are at. They have just average QB play last year they beat the Patriots in NE during the playoffs

Ragnarok

Every year you can say "wait until next year they will be better". I agree you build the team up and be prepared to draft your QB but sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and make your move.

If not you become like the Texans are now. Good enough to make the playoffs but not do too much. They waited since Schaub imploded in 2013 and see where they are at. They have just average QB play last year they beat the Patriots in NE during the playoffs

Yeah but who's to say any of the QBs they passed on will be any good? Wentz quietly had a pretty bad season after the first few games. None of the 1st round QBs this year were surefire can't miss franchise guys.

Trust the process!

It does feel good to no longer be one of those teams that needs to do some desperate trade up to reach for a QB prospect that probably won't pan out. I remember those days...

c4s_freeman121509_98586a_8col.jpg

It'd be crazy if Cook was there tomorrow. I think we'd have to take him. Although how many weapons can you take while the Oline is still mediocre and the defense could still use some shoring up?

Mrbob

For better or worse this was easily the most exciting first round in years. Every expects draft board got blown up. All that time spent speculating and building and it really meant nothing.

I'm starting to come around via acceptance of this move. Half the players picked tonight that their fanbases are creaming themselves over are going to be busts anyway. If you are going to fail do it in a blaze of glory like Ryan Pace did tonight.

Also the best pro QBs tend to be ones who didn't peak in college.

Gotta say, it is absolutely hysterical that Garrett Bolles went the whole draft cycle without his character being assassinated once in the media.

At the same time, they have twelve picks next year, including two 1'st's and three 2nd's. That can easily be bundled up into something that can be traded for a pick that could get them a Darnold, a Rosen, or even a Jackson.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
For the first time in the common draft era, dating to 1967, not a single offensive lineman was drafted among the top 15. Only two were selected in the first round in total, and the first was not until No. 20 (Utah's Garett Bolles by the Denver Broncos). Wisconsin tackle Ryan Ramczyk was taken No. 32 by the New Orleans Saints.

Now we know why teams paid so dearly for the handful of quality veterans available on the free-agent market this year

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...-draft-takeaways-qb-heists-browns-lament-more

Striker

Crummy year for teams (Giants) who have bad lines and with some moves, it can put them over the top. I was fine with them not overpaying for medicore players on the line with upcoming contracts to deal wih. But on the other hand, the need for guys like Ereck Flowers, Bobby Hart and DJ Fluker to step up is immense.

Lamp was the top rated OG so I expect him gone quickly tomorrow.

The Cowboys had first-round grades on 18 players and Taco Charlton was not one of them, according to Stephen Jones. As the second round looms, the Cowboys have one player with a first round grade still on their board.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Hmmm, Cook maybe?

kmag

Reese's philosophy of favoring and arguably overgrading perimeter players is why the line is how it is now and why it began to collapse in 2011 (run game was a disaster and the tackles were awful in pass pro; Eli's season should have won MVP) and finished in 2013. There will be high quality starter OL from this draft because every draft has them regardless of the purported strength or lack thereof.

Unfortunately it's a Catch 22 because Reese's track record shows he's a rather poor evaluator of OL talent so even trusting him to make or not make OL picks is flawed because it requires trusting him to properly evaluate the players available to pick!

Taking a small fast TE/WR hybrid at 23 to attack the seams of a C2 is nice, but the primary C2 problem is numbers at the LOS owing to the 1) run game (caused by poor blocking) and 2) teams getting home with 4 rushers (same) .

We attacked a symptom. Not the disease. We may thrive despite this but we're simply delaying another reckoning upfront a la 2013.

The Giants have 3 of high round picks on that line I'm not sure adding a 4th will be the one which suddenly makes it work. They've not neglected the line in recent years they've just been poor at oline recruitment and coaching. Although I think Pugh is on the pretty good side of servicable when healthy, as is Richburg (who I think is legitimately very good but played hurt last year).

While I like the pick, I'm not sure I'd have went there myself. Hell I'd have traded out of the first with Cleveland. This is a deep draft in terms of number of quality players but the differential between those players in the first three rounds isn't that great. The guys who get picked in the first 15-20 picks of the second round will be pretty much be as good at the everyone after 15 in the first.

It doesn't change the fact there's no one in this draft who'll immediately solve the Giants oline problems, and frankly there's precious few who'll solve the tackle issue even after a year.

gimmmick

With all these teams reaching for a QB this year, I'm so thankful we got Derek Carr at a fucking steak back in 2014. I'm sure Reggie M. will be paying up the ass to keep him with the raiders in the next coming of weeks, but to think we played the waiting game and drafted him in the second instead of giving up an ass load of picks like 3 other teams did tonight.

It does feel good to no longer be one of those teams that needs to do some desperate trade up to reach for a QB prospect that probably won't pan out....

It'd be crazy if Cook was there tomorrow. I think we'd have to take him. Although how many weapons can you take while the Oline is still mediocre and the defense could still use some shoring up?

It's even better when you also hear the media gushing about your guy when comparing thus years hopefuls. The current favourite of the Draft gurus is which QB will have the next Andrew Luck and Jameis Winston level impact.

As for the Bucs offense. The Oline isn as bad as some make it out to be. If Sweezy can go the interior should be in good shape, there is still a lot to like with Smith and Dotson is a decent RT. Also, OJ Howard is known for being an excellent blocker at TE. In a draft with terrible offensive linemen depth I'd rather the Bucs focus on stocking up on defense and offensive skill positions.

Nameless

Hahahaha @ Ryan Pace's written damage control statement on drafting Trubisky.

Ecstatic about our guys. Kudos to the Seachickens for helping us grab Foster before the Saints or Pats could. Hell I wanted us to move up to the early 20s to take him. Incredible value. Patrick Willis - tier talent provided he stays on the field. Can't wait to see him and Bowman wreaking havoc. Punishment & Pain is back!

Looking for secondary and skill position help day 2.

Fox318

You're not happy about the pick? Seems like Jets picked up one of the best players in the draft...
They should have traded down.

Besides he will still end up being a bum.

Plus he has an idiot for a head coach who doesn't understand secondaries as seen by the last 2 years of his defense.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I feel like for the QB situation, Cleveland's praying they can find the next Dak Prescott somewhere in the 3rd but they're not gonna be too bothered if they have to ride it out with Kessler for a year. They're stocking up on 2018 picks for a reason.

LifEndz

Peat was pretty good once he moved to guard. Which is why this pick makes sense.

Zach Strief is playing on borrowed time. He was a concern coming into last season, but he pulled another good year out of himself. He can't do that forever. In a draft short on OL talent at the top, it's better to spend a pick on one of the best and play it out in terms of switching him from LT to RT than pass on it..

Makes sense. I was upset that the Niners jumped us and got Foster, but I can't be mad at grabbing an OT when Strief is, as you said, on borrowed time.

Holefully there's an edge rusher of quality available when Saints pick in the 2nd.

Predictions for tonight
rYngY0d.jpg

Hopefully Cam Robinson keeps sliding and falls into our lap at 39. I'd take settle for Lamp or Awuzie too, just hoping it's not Kizer.

Then a corner with our early third (unless we take one in the second) and maybe Jake Butt if he winds up sliding with our compensatory 3rd.

Or we pull some dumb shit and I kill myself.

Hindl

Lots of options available for the Eagles. Especially with top OL talent still available. Hoping either Cook or one of the CBs gets taken. I'd be down with Wilson or Tankersley. Or even Zach Cunningham as a dark horse pick if they like CBs in the later rounds

Also lol

fletcher cox ✔ @fcoxx_91
@dbarnett25 welcome rookie I like my steaks medium ##FlyEaglesFly
9:54 PM - 27 Apr 2017

effzee

I almost wonder if the Eagles just sit at 43 and take the BPA on their board. Does that mean of the best rated OTs continue to slide, like Cam, do they take him?

Just like Barnett (DE) solidifies the DLine especially since all their current DE are at or older than 30, taking a top rated T with the 2nd round pick might solidify the line behind Lane and Peters.

Yes, they kick the need at CB down another round BUT it would be true to sticking to the BPA on their board.

Wouldn't be made about it at all.

Also back to Barnett - before the draft I didn't think he would be there at 14. So I should be ecstatic he was there and they took the DE who had similar production to the #1 pick BUT the months of mocks and draft hype really drilled into my head that guys like Hooker, OJ Howard, and Foster were top 10 locks and to see them on the board I just assumed they would be the BPA on the Eagles board too.

Of course, every team's scouting and GM has a different board and ultimately in terms of position DE only ranks below QB but man did I want Foster.

Hindl

I almost wonder if the Eagles just sit at 43 and take the BPA on their board. Does that mean of the best rated OTs continue to slide, like Cam, do they take him?

Just like Barnett (DE) solidifies the DLine especially since all their current DE are at or older than 30, taking a top rated T with the 2nd round pick might solidify the line behind Lane and Peters.

Yes, they kick the need at CB down another round BUT it would be true to sticking to the BPA on their board.

Wouldn't be made about it at all.

Also back to Barnett - before the draft I didn't think he would be there at 14. So I should be ecstatic he was there and they took the DE who had similar production to the #1 pick BUT the months of mocks and draft hype really drilled into my head that guys like Hooker, OJ Howard, and Foster were top 10 locks and to see them on the board I just assumed they would be the BPA on the Eagles board too.

Of course, every team's scouting and GM has a different board and ultimately in terms of position DE only ranks below QB but man did I want Foster.

OT isn't really a need, and I doubt that Cam or any of the OL talent is BPA. I'd honestly rather roll with Big V for a season and watch his development than take any of the OL talent this early. He wasn't great but he was a rookie. There's too many good corners and I could also see them taking (or even trading above Cincy) Cook

effzee

OT isn't really a need, and I doubt that Cam or any of the OL talent is BPA. I'd honestly rather roll with Big V for a season and watch his development than take any of the OL talent this early. He wasn't great but he was a rookie. There's too many good corners and I could also see them taking (or even trading above Cincy) Cook

Right but you are arguing needs at CB over BPA.

If on their board the BPA is Cam and they had a 1st round grade on him then they should take him at 43! Though in general I always prefer to load up on defensive players through the draft.

Also reading more on Barnett and the kid has his head on right. Lack of or questionable character def contributed to Foster sliding.

They should have traded down.

Besides he will still end up being a bum.

Plus he has an idiot for a head coach who doesn't understand secondaries as seen by the last 2 years of his defense.
Would you have taken the chiefs or Texans trade? I was really high on Adams so I wouldn't, but I can see the argument for it. Especially with how so many top players slid down into the 20s.

Bowles sucks but let's be real, we're a 3-13 team this year no matter what we get in the draft. He's probably gone after this year, and Adams is the kind of talent that can attract a solid head coach to the team. Plus if Lee progresses this year at least we have somebody good and young at every level of the defense.

Hindl

Right but you are arguing needs at CB over BPA.

If on their board the BPA is Cam and they had a 1st round grade on him then they should take him at 43! Though in general I always prefer to load up on defensive players through the draft.

Also reading more on Barnett and the kid has his head on right. Lack of or questionable character def contributed to Foster sliding.

What I'm saying is there's practically no way Cam is BPA over these CBs. The CBs are just flat out better than him, as is Cook

linkboy

I feel like for the QB situation, Cleveland's praying they can find the next Dak Prescott somewhere in the 3rd but they're not gonna be too bothered if they have to ride it out with Kessler for a year. They're stocking up on 2018 picks for a reason.

They're building the core of the team. It's the right way to build a team when your franchise is a mess like Cleveland or SF.

Pretty excited that Hooker fell to the Colts! Was shocked that a few players fell where they did, and Hooker was one of them, wasnt even thinking he'd be an option. That said, would have also liked to have traded down. Sooo many good players still available. Lamp, Cook, Cunningham, Robinson, etc.

Thought 49ers won the day though. That first round was lol and getting Foster was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom