• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

verbum

Good for Baltimore, that city needed a boost. Nice comeback by the 49ers.
The TD by the Ravens to start the second half was amazing. Right up the middle of the field. No penalties.
I wonder if the Ravens slacked off after that play? Then got real nervous. But they managed to get it together defensively at the end.

I agree with Jeff Schultz, sports writer for the Atlanta Constitution, when he points out the key move the Ravens made:

The elder Harbaugh made the bold move to fire his good friend and offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, late in the season. The move paid dividends, particularly with quarterback Joe Flacco. He threw three touchdown passes to earn Super Bowl MVP honors and had 11 touchdowns and no interceptions in consecutive playoff wins over Indianapolis, Denver, New England and San Francisco – all teams that had superior records to Baltimore going into the playoffs.

Hey Larry, I hear FMT is in line for a new avatar. I call this piece, "The Loss Is Forever".

yD4ETIm.jpg

SonnyBoy

Just a few things before I go back to the punishment that is Ravens fans at work...

1. Congrats to the Ravens organization. They deserve it, it's well run inside and out.
2. Congrats to Ed Reed, they one Raven I'm truly happy to see get a ring.
3. FML... My family/coworkers are insufferable. If you aren't from Baltimore, you don't understand how utterly stupid 3/4 of the population is.
4. How did I become a Redskins fan and I live in Baltimore? My pops is from DC. Apparently I'm paying for his sins. LOLOL

squicken

Real question: Do you guys like it that playoffs and especially SB are essentially completely random acts at this point? That the best team has a 50-50 shot of winning? Is it better now than it was in the 80s and 90s where the better team usually won?

I certainly enjoy seeing the Pats lose, but competition usually implies something more than coin tossing. Granted, the role of injury luck means even getting to the playoffs is so chance based, as is landing a franchise QB. I used to think football was chess on grass, but it's probably more like Risk

Real question: Do you guys like it that playoffs and especially SB are essentially completely random acts at this point? That the best team has a 50-50 shot of winning? Is it better now than it was in the 80s and 90s where the better team usually won?

I certainly enjoy seeing the Pats lose, but competition usually implies something more than coin tossing. Granted, the role of injury luck means even getting to the playoffs is so chance based, as is landing a franchise QB. I used to think football was chess on grass, but it's probably more like Risk

I don't like it (but I'm also somewhat biased). I'm also kinda confused by the refs in the playoffs and especially in the SB. I'm not gonna call things bad calls, but there is absolutly 0 consistency to the regular season. It's a whole different ballgame when the reg season is over.

squicken

I don't like it (but I'm also somewhat biased). I'm also kinda confused by the refs in the playoffs and especially in the SB. I'm not gonna call things bad calls, but there is absolutly 0 consistency to the regular season. It's a whole different ballgame when the reg season is over.

Exactly. Build a speed and skill team for the regular season, but you need big and physical players in the post-season. Boldin is great in the post-season b/c he can catch passes when he is interfered with. Crabtree can't, but is clearly the player you'd rather have in the regular season. Makes no sense to call these games as they do

verbum

Is your premise that the 49ers were a better team? I look at their loss against Seattle, their lack of scoring in the first half against the Falcons, and their first half struggle last night and think there is something wrong with a championship team having such troubles.

Narag

I thought Baltimore was not only the hotter team, they were the better team.

Thought so too. I obviously don't have the eye for things like squicken does but it felt like the Niners were bewildered out there and were only able to make a game out of it after the Raven D had been out of action and cooled down after the power outage.

Exactly. Build a speed and skill team for the regular season, but you need big and physical players in the post-season. Boldin is great in the post-season b/c he can catch passes when he is interfered with. Crabtree can't, but is clearly the player you'd rather have in the regular season. Makes no sense to call these games as they do

It's just weird and I don't really get the reasoning behind it. You don't want the refs to play a big part in the play offs, that is understandable, but you're okay with them having a big influence in the regular season? Just call all the games like you call the playoffs now, or call them all like you call the regular season now. The discrepancy between good regular season teams and their results in the playoffs seems to be too big, look at the Packers/Falcons/Patriots. Regular season champs, play off bums.

Just look at the safety, sure it wouldn't have mattered for the results, but even when the Ravens were blatantly holding to get called, they didn't do anything.

Can't wait to see the Dolphins rise to claim the AFC East next year (and probably the SB as well but I don't want to get too greedy) after they flawlessly handle this offseason.

Narag

It's just weird and I don't really get the reasoning behind it. You don't want the refs to play a big part in the play offs, that is understandable, but you're okay with them having a big influence in the regular season? Just call all the games like you call the playoffs now, or call them all like you call the regular season now. The discrepancy between good regular season teams and their results in the playoffs seems to be too big, look at the Packers/Falcons/Patriots. Regular season champs, play off bums.

Just look at the safety, sure it wouldn't have mattered for the results, but even when the Ravens were blatantly holding to get called, they didn't do anything.

I think in that case there was just little point and it might even be a smart penalty to take. It sort of reminds me of the runoff during the Super Bowl last year with 12 men on the field. Just seems like a case where rules would have to be adjusted for the sake of a new condition.

linkboy

Good for Baltimore, that city needed a boost. Nice comeback by the 49ers.
The TD by the Ravens to start the second half was amazing. Right up the middle of the field. No penalties.
I wonder if the Ravens slacked off after that play? Then got real nervous. But they managed to get it together defensively at the end.

I agree with Jeff Schultz, sports writer for the Atlanta Constitution, when he points out the key move the Ravens made:

There wasn't any penalty called because the refs weren't paying attention

That's textbook holding. The lane that Jacboy ran through was the lane that Miller was responsible for.

eznark

Banned

That's why they play the games.

I'm scared for the ravens.

Salary cap is going to a bitch this year for us.

Boldin is replaceable, but finding a guy to fill in for Lewis and Reed will be impossible to do in just 1 season.

squicken

It's insane to argue BAL is a better team. They were hotter, no doubt. But they played the 17th toughest schedule, SF 3rd toughest. BAL +54 pt differential, SF +124.

BAL is in the playoffs b/c of a 4th down, brutally stupid decision to check down and they lucked into a first down. Beat DEN b/c of a brutal brain cramp by a dumb safety. My brain will roll out of my ear if someone says again that BAL is a better team. They just got hot

Narag

It's insane to argue BAL is a better team. They were hotter, no doubt. But they played the 17th toughest schedule, SF 3rd toughest. BAL +54 pt differential, SF +124.

BAL is in the playoffs b/c of a 4th down, brutally stupid decision to check down and they lucked into a first down. Beat DEN b/c of a brutal brain cramp by a dumb safety. My brain will roll out of my ear if someone says again that BAL is a better team. They just got hot

Ah thought you meant just last night. Yeah, if you told me they'd win the SB in the middle of the season, I'd have rolled my eyes.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I wonder if there are any non cheaty ways to fix that shitty Saints defense. And if not, I wonder if there is a way they can cheat and not get caught. At least Spags got his ass booted out the door. Got some Ambien and Night Train as a parting gift.

On the plus side, I'm pretty stoked that Duke is finally going to have a player drafted this year, first time in forever.

eznark

Banned

I ha no idea you were such a huge fan of polls deciding championships. That's gross.

I think in that case there was just little point and it might even be a smart penalty to take. It sort of reminds me of the runoff during the Super Bowl last year with 12 men on the field. Just seems like a case where rules would have to be adjusted for the sake of a new condition.

I also think the Ravens did it on purpose, because the play would still only end when the punter runs out of bounds, not when the penalty happens, and the longer they hold the more time the punter has, and it will result in a safety, just with less time on the clock. It was the smartest thing to do, so give John credit for that one.

Seems like an easy fix for this rule, when holding occurs in the endzone, just throw the flag, blow the whistle and immediately stop the clock.

eznark

Banned
I also think the Ravens did it on purpose, because the play would still only end when the punter runs out of bounds, not when the penalty happens, and the longer they hold the more time the punter has, and it will result in a safety, just with less time on the clock. It was the smartest thing to do, so give John credit for that one.

Seems like an easy fix for this rule, when holding occurs in the endzone, just throw the flag, blow the whistle and immediately stop the clock.

Lol. That rule will be awesome when a sack fumble recovered for a touchdown is negated.

HoodWinked

Gold Member

ya it was intentional, koch ate up an eternity in the end zone because the holds.

Lol. That rule will be awesome when a sack fumble recovered for a touchdown is negated.

Or don't blow the whistle, wait for the play to be over, and they conclude they held on the play and put the time back on the clock when the holding happened.

SonnyBoy

My brain will roll out of my ear if someone says again that BAL is a better team. They just got hot

I hate that they won but that's a bit unfair. In addition to being the "hot" team, they also got healthy and made key changes to their offense. They made changes to both tackle positions and fired the OC. We saw Baltimore in formations they dont usually run.

It's a bit of luck, good timing and strategy.

The stage was too big for Kap, the power outage allowed them time to settle and regroup. If they had started the game like that, they would have more than likely won. But they didn't because of his inexperience. That's the gamble Jim took and he lost.

Jesus look at all these Ravens fans living in the past. Pathetic.

And we get to live there blissfully the whole off-season, kings of the NFL.

WORLD CHAMPS!

avimwTO.gif

WORLD CHAMPS!

avimwTO.gif

You can talk about how many championships you have you want. The only champs that truly matter are the last ones.

3whhHjo.gif

The stage was too big for Kap, the power outage allowed them time to settle and regroup. If they had started the game like that, they would have more than likely won. But they didn't because of his inexperience. That's the gamble Jim took and he lost.
I think you're being a little unfair to Kaep, he didn't give up 3 passing TD's and a kickoff return TD. The Niners lost as a team.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I don't know if I'm a fan of that. Sometime the rules of the game fall in favor of the play you're going to run, not unlike the victory formation. There's still a risk that a block is missed and 2 points become 6. Its also a play that doesn't happen enough to necessitate a rule change.

Top Bottom