• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

etiolate

Banned
I still stand by my statement that he'll succumb to the Sophmore jinx (ie. Opponents actually have game tape and blue prints, and can game plan accordingly) like most other young QBs who have solid first seasons. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of this year's young bunch (Kaepernick, Wilson, RG3 and Luck) 'regress' next season in terms of stats/success.

The tape will show he doesn't always see guys about to be open and doesn't throw to open spots. He also ignores his short receiver. The tape will show that you sit back and watch his eyes and jump routes.

The problem is that he can physically overcome those issues. The Ravens were doing some of those things and maybe a lot of those things. They left the checkdown guy wide open most of the night. Kaepernick's throws were just too fast for the DBs to react to in time.

DominoKid

Maybe taking lattimore or Lacy to help CJ could be a possibility

man we need so much help.
were at least 2 years away from the playoffs.
and that's if Locker pans out.
when we drafted him i resigned myself to the fact we'd be drafting another QB in 2014 or 2015.
i have never believed he was the answer.

Talon

Really curious on Flacco. What he did this post-season isn't sustainable. How many RZ trips in a row did they have a TD? It's just another WC team getting healthy and streaking at the right time. Can he excel as a passer like Brees, Manning and Brady, where the offense runs through him? b/c if they are going to subtract 3 or 4 quality starters to augment his salary, that is what he will need to do
Or rather we need to stop looking for patterns in the playoffs. Every game happens in a vacuum. Moore plays that ball orally, Baltimore doesn't get to this position.

I don't think we're going to see any repeat champions for a while. Too much parity in this league, especially with the influx of QBs from 2008-now.

HylianTom

Banned
The next 7 months are going to be hellish. My mind has two divisions on the yearly calendar:
(1) Football is on TV, and
(2) Waiting for Football to Start

Once football starts, the mood in this town completely shifts into something fantastic.

Fox318

when we drafted him i resigned myself to the fact we'd be drafting another QB in 2014 or 2015.

There is always Vince Young again.

Do it Bud!!!

KaYotiX

Banned
No more football......man this sucks.

At least I got Hockey. Ill also try to stay active in the off-season unlike other years :) Grats to Ravens-GaF on the win. Enjoy it its a nice feeling!

GO PACK GO in 2013!!

squicken

Flacco being extended will be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Steelers. At the end of the day, dude's inconsistent.

And hopefully between familiar faces leaving the team, Flacco being extended and the team coming off a SB, the Ravens fall victim to post SB slumber and completely shit the bed next season.

Boldin had as many post-season TDs as in the regular season. It's just a dice role at this point. Make the post-season b/c you built a good team and had some luck, and after that, it's 90% luck. You'd think Ozzie is smart enough to see that. Franchise Flacco and let him establish his real value next year

harSon

Banned
The tape will show he doesn't always see guys about to be open and doesn't throw to open spots. He also ignores his short receiver. The tape will show that you sit back and watch his eyes and jump routes.

The problem is that he can physically overcome those issues. The Ravens were doing some of those things and maybe a lot of those things. They left the checkdown guy wide open most of the night. Kaepernick's throws were just too fast for the DBs to react to in time.

The Raven's problems was A) not maintaining outside containment, and instead pinching inward to rush Kaep, which gave him an open lane to the outside to do what he wished with. And B) generally having some awful coverage in the 2nd half. It's not like Kaep was extending plays to make receivers open, or the line was blocking long enough for receivers to get open... they were just open by like 5 yards 90% of the time.

We're going to pay Flacco, and pay him too much. I'll complain. These are facts.

Our window just slammed shut, but it did with a Superbowl Championship.

I just talked to my buddy here who is a legit Niners fan. He's bummin', of course, but did he complain about the refs? Fuck no. He complained that their top tier D gave up so many points in the first half.

I doubt I post in this thread much until idk draft maybe then when the actual season starts but damn its depressing no more football :( Shit.
Also I love you guys never change.

etiolate

Banned
My list of complaints are:

-The D falling apart towards the end of the season.
-These games that happen every 2-3 wins where the team comes out without focus. Talent wise and coaching wise, the Niners really shouldn't lose games. When they're on, they look like a class ahead of the rest. Then they sort of wash out a game or half a game.
-The refs had money on that line just sayin
-Red Zone was totally one sided to the Ravens. They got plays that they executed and got the matchups they wanted. They got what they wanted. Niners had a dynamic QB they had throw fade routes.

Gotta start with D. Defense keeps teams in the game and we need a running game

cajunator

Banned
Last season was a total pile of shit. At least we have Payton back. The defense is about as bad as it will ever get so here's to hoping for improvement. Ill start optimistically at 9-7. I can accept 9-7.

There's a lot to be optimistic about with the Niners TBH. Secondary needs a ton of work but really not much else I can think of. As long as Frank Gore doesn't fall apart in the next few years and some consistency can be wrung out of the QB position, the Niners will be playoff contenders. The NFC West is a pretty resurgent division though, so it might be a tough road back to the playoffs in the years ahead.

jbug617

Banned
I just talked to my buddy here who is a legit Niners fan. He's bummin', of course, but did he complain about the refs? Fuck no. He complained that their top tier D gave up so many points in the first half.

I thought it was setting up to be like NFC Championship but Jacoby dead that talk very quickly.

Seriously, Jacoby Jones is a fucking stud.

My brother just called from NO, he was sitting front row in the corner, to tell me he got Bryant McKinnie's glove. That dick won't give it to me!

Seriously, Jacoby Jones is a fucking stud.

My brother just called from NO, he was sitting front row in the corner, to tell me he got Bryant McKinnie's glove. That dick won't give it to me!

I have to give props to Flacco but I thought Jacoby should have gotten SBMVP.

Edit: You dont want that glove. He is a fucker. Birk is a cool dude though really glad he got his ring.

Kiryu

Can't wait to see Kansas Chiefs to draft Leon Sandcastle!

Best NFL Draft of whole NFL Draft History!

I hope a couple guys blow-up the combine or their personal workouts, the Raiders need a partner to trade back from the third pick in the draft

xnipx

Y'all are forgetting we get webbie back next year. Kap doesn't get a lot of those passes to Crabtree if he's out there. We will at least get to the AFC championship next year I trust Ozzie and Steve to make the right decisions

We're going to pay Flacco, and pay him too much. I'll complain. These are facts.

Our window just slammed shut, but it did with a Superbowl Championship.

There's worse ways to slam the window shut. Kind of nice bookends there for Ray. What's the thinking for his next job? ESPN or NFLN?

So will NBC open the season Den-Balt, NE-Balt, or Pitt-Balt? My money is on Manning.

linkboy

There's a lot to be optimistic about with the Niners TBH. Secondary needs a ton of work but really not much else I can think of. As long as Frank Gore doesn't fall apart in the next few years and some consistency can be wrung out of the QB position, the Niners will be playoff contenders. The NFC West is a pretty resurgent division though, so it might be a tough road back to the playoffs in the years ahead.

They're going to be getting Kendall Hunter, Mario Manningham (possibly, he's only on a two year deal), Parys Haralson and Kyle Williams back next season (all were lost due to injuries), so that will help.

Besides the secondary, the 49ers have little to no depth in the LB and DL positions, that's why their starters play so much.

The 49ers will have 14 picks in the draft this year and they really need to focus on their defense with a lot of them.

Oh, and getting another WR might not be a bad idea since I doubt Moss will be back and AJ Jenkins isn't looking like he's going to pan out.

Fjordson

Sad off season incoming. Wish we had showed up before halftime. And I can't believe we gave Ray Lewis his second ring. We'll be hearing about that Red Zone Stand from God until judgment day.

Salt for months.

untitled-14lxf1.gif

Fjordson

Anyone else remember Bowman flashing flashing the six with his fingers after he tackled someone for a loss (think it was Ray Rice on a running play)? Fucker jinxed us.

Only 2 teams have avoided the Super Bowl loser hangover, the Patriots this season and the Seahawks 2006 every team since 2000 has fail to make the playoffs...

Top Bottom