• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 12 |OT| What Are You Thankful For?

yankeehater, what do you think the Eagles' biggest issues are right now? Do you think Andy Reid is a big part of the problem or is it more to do with injuries? That o-line situation is pretty horrific.

Fun game last night from a neutral perspective. The Eagles totally killed themselves with turnovers.

eznark

Banned
Non football related side note: Digging Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers. Bought the No More Beautiful world by random selection and really like it.

Ah cool. I'll definitely say that their earlier stuff is better than their latest album. I'm not a huge fan. If I had to recommend one album it would probably be Sonoran Hope & Madness

bionic77

Wow I had my worst football picks of the year this past week in our office pool.

I got almost every game on Sunday wrong. Very weird feeling getting that many games wrong. With results like that I am one lazy eye away from working at ESPN or Grantland. Anyone know how they pay in Bristol?

bionic77

So how hurt is Desean Jackson, and when does Vick come back?
Who gives a fuck? Their season is done. May as well play the young guys and see what they can do.

The only interesting thing left with the Eagles is whether or not the owner is going to fire Reid and when as he said they would unless they were better than 9-7 (or whatever the mark was).

I kind of feel bad for Reid. If the Eagles were competent they would have forced him into taking a year off after his son died. Now they are left with the shitty choice of firing him after this year after he turned the franchise around and with the black cloud of his son's death still surrounding him.

Not that I should talk about a franchise handling things badly. I can totally see the Steelers rushing Ben back to get stabbed by Ray Lewis during his return! Its going to be a battle of the gimps!

bionic77

:lol Decastro is coming back against the Ravens.

Rule number one. Never expose injured players or players coming back from injury to Ravens! It always ends badly.

eznark

Banned
Really good opinion piece on the Lions and Schwartz

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121127/OPINION03/211270331#ixzz2DOvJn1tm

The problem with thinking you're the smartest guy in the room — something Lions coach Jim Schwartz routinely acts as if he does — is that often you're right.

But when you're wrong, you risk losing a little credibility.

Likewise, the problem with acting like you're better than everyone else, as even some of Ndamukong Suh's teammates think he occasionally does, is that often it doesn't really matter.

And when it does, it's not always to your benefit.

Almost from the start, it's as if they felt they were owed something more than they were, and that they'd earned something they hadn't yet. Only they weren't. And they hadn't. Surely, they must realize that now, right?

Schwartz isn't immune to criticism anymore, either. He's on his second contract now, and he's coaching a roster that's certainly talented enough to be 7-4 rather than 4-7 heading into December. In fact, you could argue the head coach has cost his team two wins this season — two wins that'd put the Lions squarely in the playoff picture in a top-heavy NFC — if you add the botched fourth-down play in overtime at Tennessee to last week's ill-advised challenge flag against the Texans.

The irony in that last gaffe, of course, is that it also was last year — in a bitter home loss to San Francisco — that Schwartz was caught on camera mocking the 49ers' Jim Harbaugh for making the very same mistake. ("Learn the rules, Harbaugh!" he yelled across the field.) Since that moment, the Lions are 9-14, while the 49ers are 18-4-1.

It really just rehashes a lot of the complaints that the Lions fans in here have had but it seems more noteworthy.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Hey man, my fantasy season isn't done! :p

Lol, I don't think anyone started Cam Newton in our league last night.

Heck I'm thinking of picking of Cecil Shorts! There is still some postivity in loser teams!

How is Cecil Shorts not owned in your league? He should be owned in every league except maybe 8-teamers, and those leagues are blasphemy.

yankeehater, what do you think the Eagles' biggest issues are right now? Do you think Andy Reid is a big part of the problem or is it more to do with injuries? That o-line situation is pretty horrific.

Fun game last night from a neutral perspective. The Eagles totally killed themselves with turnovers.

A few years ago the Eagles decided that the way to win was to kill teams with speed. They had an organizational decision to get smaller quicker WRs and DL. They went after Washburn because they thought that the wide 9 would fit this fast aggressive they wanted to become. They even talked Mudd out of retirement because they wanted to get a quick OL that could run screens and such better. Every single part of this idea has been a total failure. The small quick OL they built cant run block in the RZ or in short yardage situations. The wide 9 has been beyond a disaster, they didnt have the personal to run it, and they tried to sign a bunch of guys but they never came together as a group. Their drafting before this year was abysmal. They picked a QB to run this fast break offense that is injury and turnover prone and it killed them last year. Reid promoted Juan when he wasnt ready and fired him when they didnt have a better option. Reid is ultimately responsible for this mess, even though the coaches and players have totally let him down. In the end hubris is his biggest fault, the team had great success just being a regular football team, it was silly to try nd reinvent football and do all this unconventional stuff. Reid will be gone and Roseman will get a year or 2 to turn things around, but he will fail and then he will be gone to. You cant win without a QB and the Eagles dont have that guy and there is no hope of getting that guy in the offseason.

I was looking at the headlines on NFL mobile yesterday and the story about the sprinklers coming on at the Miami game showed up on the first page but the story from the game itself was nowhere to be found. That about sums up how much people care about the Dolphins, I suppose.

Still, that win feels good even two days later. It was a huge game for Tannehill since he hasn't really been very impressive during the clutch moments of 4th quarters and OTs so far this season, especially since it was against a very good secondary. Of course, the "very" in that statement is probably only due to illegal substances, but they are quite good nonetheless.

All of the complaints about the refs are still incredibly hilarious, though. It's almost like Seahawks fans forget that the TD that occurred after that penalty only tied the game, and on the ensuing kickoff (which wouldn't have happened given an INT in the endzone) Washington ran the ball back for a TD. So they were still up by 7 and they still managed to lose the game anyway. Maybe instead of worrying about the refs Seahawks fans should worry about how incompetent Russell Wilson looked on their final drive of that game, and how Tannehill shredded their juiced up secondary on the way to setting up a game winning FG.

But regardless, it was the correct call.

jmdajr

How is Cecil Shorts not owned in your league? He should be owned in every league except maybe 8-teamers, and those leagues are blasphemy.

I think people just assume Jags automatically mean shit players. Antonio Brown has been hurt, so been playing with WR3 option.
Jags will definitely be slanging it the rest of the way. Jags/pats will be good you watch! MJD will be back too by then.

beast786

Really good opinion piece on the Lions and Schwartz

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121127/OPINION03/211270331#ixzz2DOvJn1tm

It really just rehashes a lot of the complaints that the Lions fans in here have had but it seems more noteworthy.

I am giving him this year only because our secoundy / safeties are a mess injury wise. Pretty much lost the whole unit since day 1. in today NFL, you can't survive without an at least serviceable secoundy, and we had absolutely no names all year long.

I also don't buy into the personality crap, these kind of issues only pop up when team losses, nobody cares about coach personality when team wins. This microdiessection of his personality is just fluff to wether is he a good football coach or not period. I remember same guys writing positive article about him when team made playoff last year.

Also, this is also a time to see how much control he has ans how the team plays in these last games.

bionic77

At that rate you will pass us in 13 weeks. You guys need to step yo game up.
Well I don't if you are figuring in future Eagles turnovers, but if we keep it up we will get to 64 turnovers in 7 more weeks and pass you after 8.

Step yo math up son. Or ridicule mine if I got it horribly wrong!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I think people just assume Jags automatically mean shit players. Antonio Brown has been hurt, so been playing with WR3 option.
Jags will definitely be slanging it the rest of the way. Jags/pats will be good you watch! MJD will be back too by then.

I picked up shorts because I had some severe injury issues at WR (Jennings and Julio) a few weeks back and I needed a body. Has worked out well.

By the way, if anyone is into Fantasy Football and doesn't listen to the ESPN Fantasy Focus Podcast, go do so now! It's great.

Well I don't if you are figuring in future Eagles turnovers, but if we keep it up we will get to 64 turnovers in 7 more weeks and pass you after 8.

Step yo math up son. Or ridicule mine if I got it horribly wrong!

You guy got 8, we got 3, so you are +5 for the week. It would take 13 weeks of you being +5 to close a 65 turnover gap. Obviously the gap isnt 65 though.

bionic77

You guy got 8, we got 3, so you are +5 for the week. It would take 13 weeks of you being +5 to close a 65 turnover gap. Obviously the gap isnt 65 though.
It would be hard to see any group of running backs fumbling 5 times a game ever again. But Chaz is definitely good for at least another 3 INTs next week!

Challenge accepted!

It would be hard to see any group of running backs fumbling 5 times a game ever again. But Chaz is definitely good for at least another 3 INTs next week!

Challenge accepted!

You seem to forget that Foles will still be the Eagles QB next week. The Panthers dropped 3 picks right into their hands, most Ds wont be that inept.

I saw this list of college coaches to come to the pros in the last 20 years, it is not filling me with confidence if the Eagles do go after Kelly.

Lou Holtz- failed
Bud Wilkenson- failed
Rich Brooks- failed
Nick Saban- Failed
Bobby Petrino- failed
Lane Kiffin- Failed
Mike Riley- failed
Dennis Erickson- failed twice
Greg Sciano- Not yet decided
John Mckay- 2 playoff appearances
Jimmy Johnson- 2 SB wins
Bobby Ross- SB appearance
Barry Switzer- SB win (with JJ players)
Cheatin Pete - Not yet decided
Best Harbs - Off to a great start

Clearly you cant compare one guy to another, but the success rate is way less then one would hope.

jmdajr

I picked up shorts because I had some severe injury issues at WR (Jennings and Julio) a few weeks back and I needed a body. Has worked out well.

By the way, if anyone is into Fantasy Football and doesn't listen to the ESPN Fantasy Focus Podcast, go do so now! It's great.

Yeah it's pretty good. But now that I am 9-3 on the season, have not listened in awhile.

Bowser

original.gif

KingGondo

Banned
I wonder how Saban would have done in Miami if the training staff there signed off on Brees.
I think if Bama wins another MNC the Browns have a chance of getting him. Of course he won't come cheap.

The pieces are in place to have a good team the next few years with a good draft next year and solid coaching.

Talon

Has this article about Chip Kelly bring mathemtics to pro football been posted yet? It is actually an interesting read.
Meh, these odds are known to coaches, but you know the amount of backlash that comes from fans and media (vis-a-vis ownership) when you fail to convert?

Belichick absolutely made the right call in going for it on 4th and short around the 40 against the Colts three seasons ago. Your chances of converting are pretty high. Of course, Faulk decides to run his route a few steps off the 1st down line, and Belichick is tarred and feathered all week. Now that's BB, supposedly one of the most respected coaches in the NFL. What kind of heat is a college newcomer going to get when his players fail to execute in a crucial situation?

Mike Smith was pretty aggressive with going for it on 4th his first couple seasons, and he was lauded when the players executed. Now since that Giants game, he's been catching heat when it's really on his offensive line for failing to execute.

eznark

Banned
Has this article about Chip Kelly bring mathemtics to pro football been posted yet? It is actually an interesting read.

Wow. I'm shocked he could write with Chip Kelly's guts on his forehead and nuts on his chin.

Pretty easy to "revolutionize" the Pac 10 when your players are about 10x better than every player on the other team at every single position. Billick has the same mathematical mind-set and was thinking the same thoughts a decade ago. But when you aren't totally sure that your guys are better than the other guys and that it would take a fluke to stuff you for a loss, those calls aren't so easy. Going for it on 4th against Arizona when you are Oregon? How is that in any way a gutsy call.

I really hope he DOES bring that to the NFL, but it's not like his thinking is in any way original, he has just never been tested because he has superior athletes and job security. Neither of those exist in the NFL. Guys are marginally better than one another, not leaps and bounds, especially in the trenches.

squicken

I recall at least one conventional wisdom defying call by Kelly vs Stanford. Didn't work and naturally the brain donors on TV as well as columnists whined about it being dumb. It will be even worse when you deal with local columnists and radio guys who do their work between free meals

Meh, these odds are known to coaches, but you know the amount of backlash that comes from fans and media (vis-a-vis ownership) when you fail to convert?

Belichick absolutely made the right call in going for it on 4th and short around the 40 against the Colts three seasons ago. Your chances of converting are pretty high. Of course, Faulk decides to run his route a few steps off the 1st down line, and Belichick is tarred and feathered all week. Now that's BB, supposedly one of the most respected coaches in the NFL. What kind of heat is a college newcomer going to get when his players fail to execute in a crucial situation?

Mike Smith was pretty aggressive with going for it on 4th his first couple seasons, and he was lauded when the players executed. Now since that Giants game, he's been catching heat when it's really on his offensive line for failing to execute.

Mike Smith was also roasted because the Giants knew that for all that flappin and wavin Ryan was doing pre snap it was just going to be a run up the middle.

Mike Smith was also roasted because the Giants knew that for all that flappin and wavin Ryan was doing pre snap it was just going to be a run up the middle.

Nope, it was going to be a power run off the tackle. That's the Mularkey staple on fourth and 1. Dive? Hell no! Let's run a power run that takes longer to develop!

eznark

Banned
I recall at least one conventional wisdom defying call by Kelly vs Stanford. Didn't work and naturally the brain donors on TV as well as columnists whined about it being dumb. It will be even worse when you deal with local columnists and radio guys who do their work between free meals

Especially considering he is going to go to an inferior team. Those calls are a lot harder when you're the Browns lining up against the Ravens than when you are the fucking Oregon Ducks against Pac 10 nobodies.

The stat about surprise onside kicks sounds great, 63% of the ime they are successful. But that means 37% of the time you are handing the other team amazing field position. I m not sure the risk would be worth it except for very special situations, or if you have a fantastic defense.

eznark

Banned
The stat about surprise onside kicks sounds great, 63% of the ime they are successful. But that means 37% of the time you are handing the other team amazing field position. I m not sure the risk would be worth it except for very special situations, or if you have a fantastic defense.

100% of the time that the Bears didn't expect Crabtree to run a crossing pattern on a field goal it has worked. Think it will ever work again?

Those unexpected onside kicks work in college because teams are undisciplined and in the pros because teams don't expect it. Guess what, all it takes is Chip Kelly doing it a couple of times and teams adjust their front 6. Considering like 80% of all kickoffs are touchbacks anyway, it's not going to be a huge adjustment.

Also, look again at the competitive imbalance. If Alabama is playing Minnesota, they could probably onside kick every single time and get 60% of them. In the NFL there isn't that pro v. joe imbalance. Everyone is paid in the NFL, not just the SEC and Team Nike.

And if everyone started doing "surprise" onside kicks they wouldn't be a surprise anymore and the odds would drop drastically as teams started preparing more for it. The same would hold even if it was only one team that became known for trying it more than a typical amount.

Especially considering he is going to go to an inferior team. Those calls are a lot harder when you're the Browns lining up against the Ravens than when you are the fucking Oregon Ducks against Pac 10 nobodies.
Should be a disclaimer at the bottom of the article, "note: these odds only apply when your players are, on average, 80% faster and 50% more athletic than their opponents."

100% of the time that the Bears didn't expect Crabtree to run a crossing pattern on a field goal it has worked. Think it will ever work again?

Those unexpected onside kicks work in college because teams are undisciplined and in the pros because teams don't expect it. Guess what, all it takes is Chip Kelly doing it a couple of times and teams adjust their front 6. Considering like 80% of all kickoffs are touchbacks anyway, it's not going to be a huge adjustment.

Also, look again at the competitive imbalance. If Alabama is playing Minnesota, they could probably onside kick every single time and get 60% of them. In the NFL there isn't that pro v. joe imbalance. Everyone is paid in the NFL, not just the SEC and Team Nike.

Th first game of Reid's 2nd year was at Dallas and the Eagles started with surprise onsides that they recovered. Later that season they tried it again and it totally failed. NFL coaches spend so much time looking at tendencies that it makes it tough to make living off of trickery. That is why I was so surprised that the Ravens used a fake field goal against the Raiders in a game they were up by 28. Seemed like an odd time to put that on tape for other teams to see.

jergrah

5 year anniversary of Sean Taylor's death -- time flies. I think he would've been a Top 5 safety all time -- dude was a beast. I remember watching him play at The U and wishing Miami could somehow land him.

Looking forward to the game this weekend, I don't think Miami can beat the Pats but I'm interested to see how well they compete.

Top Bottom