• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS: Rivals may look ‘a little’ better on one next-gen console than the other

Which Gen 4 platform will Need For Speed: Rivals look the best on?

Results are only viewable after voting.

nib95

Banned
Why the hell wouldn't he just tell us the console, it's not like it's going to remain a secret forever.

Wouldn't EA want the One version to look better considering their in bed with Microsoft? Then again that might be the reason they can't say the console name if the One version is weaker.

Given they keep showing off the PS4 version, I doubt it.

ascii42

More like hours. This is the kind of stuff that brings a HARD smack-down from the suits above. This comment will be lost to ages and never referenced again, and EA will make sure this game and all of their multiplat games look identical on the two consoles.

At one point, Madden on the 360 was 60fps, and Madden on the PS3 was 30fps.

Krakn3Dfx

Wii U redeemed.

Hey, I have a Wii U!
article-1308744177600-0CAAF36700000578-204538_636x411.jpg

Becky

Banned
PS4 will have better graphics, full stop. If you care about that, get a PS4, and if you really care about that, get a PC. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are deluding themselves.

Good point. If graphics are the most important thing in games to you then go PC.

It Begins

I know. Been waiting for confirmation that the PS4 would only have "a little bit" better graphics than X1.

jeeteeare

Banned
Yes but, with one version you can activate the windshield wipers by waving your hand in front of your face.

Not saying which one though

Jonm1010

Banned
To me this reads like the guy at EA thought both consoles were going to be less powerful then what they ultimately got and that one console in particular - the one that is getting the superior version - is notably more powerful then they thought.

Pop

"And I think that one will look as good as the PC"

Now didn't devs from Planetside 2 say the PS4 will look like a maxed out PC with everything on. I think we know what the answer is here.

abracadaver

PS4 will be better of course. but by how much ?

is the difference clearly visible or do you need a digital foundry face off to tell the difference ? current gen EA games were pretty much equal in the last few years

For those asking why he won't tell us which console, ask yourselves this question.

When was the last time you heard a developer say "this version of our game looks much better than the other version"?

That 53MHz.

Seriously I doubt he is talking about Xbox One, because if that was true he would may say outright considering the partnership between MS and EA. But also, how can be the dev surprised by the power of PS4, since we all not for months how it performs?

Because EA and Microsoft are in bed with eachother so would look bad on both of them if they straight up said the PS4 version is the definitive version.

How is EA in bed with Microsoft when most of their development is built off the PS3 last gen!?!

That 53MHz.

Seriously I doubt he is talking about Xbox One, because if that was true he would may say outright considering the partnership between MS and EA. But also, how can be the dev surprised by the power of PS4, since we all not for months how it performs?

Perhaps devs have only started playing with dev kits with 8gbs of GDDR5 in the last month or two?

Seems unlikely but I did think previous dev kits were limited to 4gb

At one point, Madden on the 360 was 60fps, and Madden on the PS3 was 30fps.
Hmm. I didn't know that (don't play sports games). I still think the issue with programming for the Cell made a big difference last time. The two boxes are so close this time, I'm surprised to hear a dev with EA come out and say this. I know there's a lot of hype about the PS4's tech being more powerful and I'm in the PS camp this year at launch but, I still think the games are going look nearly identical.

Jonm1010

Banned
PS4 will be better of course. but by how much ?

is the difference clearly visible or do you need a digital foundry face off to tell the difference ? current gen EA games were pretty much equal in the last few years

Should be interesting. I'm guessing it will trend from developer to developer and series to series.

We saw it this gen with almost parity on ea sports titles but then you would have your skyrims and red dead redemptions that pronounced some significant differences.

The difference this gen will be Sony will almost universally be on the winning end and the differences, at least on paper, could potentially be bigger then last gen.

Don't underestimate X1!! Forza is running at 1080p 60fps and Drive Club not so much!! Just saying!! Besides it all comes down to the devs expertise.

IN&OUT

Banned
Don't underestimate X1!! Forza is running at 1080p 60fps and Drive Club not so much!! Just saying!! Besides it all comes down to the devs expertise.

Forsaken, PS1 game was running at 60fps. So what?

We know that PS4 has more of everything + better RAM. X1 is just weaker than PS4, deal with it.

Piggus

I am betting the Xbox version will look better. It took EA 40 minutes to mention "PS4" during their presser. I think MS have paid EA a lot of $$$

You should probably avoid gambling...

Yeah, MS did pay EA a lot of money. But it's HIGHLY unlikely that their contract has something along the lines of "you must gimp the competing version to retain parity" let alone make the PS4 version worse. Keep in mind that NFS is going to compete with other racing games on PS4, so it's in their best interest to make it look as good as possible. Microsoft isn't their publisher. They don't have that kind of control.

Also, the game was demoed on PS4 at E3.... It should be pretty obvious which version the dev is talking about.

ElNino

Forsaken, PS1 game was running at 60fps. So what?

We know that PS4 has more of everything + better RAM. X1 is just weaker than PS4, deal with it.
Based on your responses in this thread, it appears that you are the one having a problem 'dealing with it". I'm pretty sure most people looking at the X1 know it has lower specs than the PS4, so a PS4 version looking a bit better shouldn't matter to them.

Based on the wording of what was said, it seems more likley that the X1 is more powerful than they thought (more so than the PS4 at least) but the PS4 still might look a bit better... but not 50% better as the first leaked specs would indicate.

jaosobno

Static lighting, no day/night, no weather vs realtime global illumination, day/night, weather.

Let's just not go there, OK?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Apparently EA is also demoing BF4 on PS4 at gamescom.

Are they showing Xbox One builds too? Could we actually get a comparison? (I know it would be a bit premature, incomplete builds and all that...but I don't think we've had any multiplat shown on both systems yet).

c0de

Looking forward to the head2head. Nothing wrong with one version graphically better than the other one.

SiRatul

How is EA in bed with Microsoft when most of their development is built off the PS3 last gen!?!

That's current gen you are talking about. For next gen EA seems to be on Microsofts side (for now at least).
Proof for that is Titanfall, BF4 Second Assault timed exclusivity, FIFA Ultimate Team Legends and timed exclusivity on Peggle 2 and Garden Warfare.
Though I don't agree with the notion of MS having a say in any of their other games.

Apparently EA is also demoing BF4 on PS4 at gamescom.

Are they showing Xbox One builds too? Could we actually get a comparison? (I know it would be a bit premature, incomplete builds and all that...but I don't think we've had any multiplat shown on both systems yet).
Is ANYONE showing games on both systems?

GHG

Obviously, the Xbox One excels at pre-baked lighting so it will be fine here.

Top Bottom