• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Wasn't NHL-Gaf wildly in favor of the realignment when it was first shown?

I only remember Solo agreeing that it was awful. Too bad he's gonna be gone for ten years after this deal gets signed :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wasn't NHL-Gaf wildly in favor of the realignment when it was first shown?

I only remember Solo agreeing that it was awful. Too bad he's gonna be gone for ten years after this deal gets signed :(

nobody in the northeast liked the deal

we have tampa and florida in our division

(but it did give leafs a good chance to make playoffs every year :> )

Solo

It's the horrendous playoff structure I truly loathe. The new divisions....I can live with. But the playoffs are basically a recipe for boredom.

DopeyFish

Yeah, but then it gets boring if the Leafs and Habs are both really good for like 5 years straight (here's where you take your shot, NHL-GAF) and meet 5 straight years in the playoffs.

hey as long as your record turns out like ottawa... i don't mind ;)

Lost Conference Quarterfinal, 2–4 (Maple Leafs)

Lost Conference Quarterfinal, 0–4 (Maple Leafs)

Won Conference Quarterfinal, 4–1 (Flyers)
Lost Conference Semifinal, 3–4 (Maple Leafs)

Lost Conference Quarterfinal, 3–4 (Maple Leafs)

Socreges

Banned
hey as long as your record turns out like ottawa... i don't mind ;)

Lost Conference Quarterfinal, 2–4 (Maple Leafs)

Lost Conference Quarterfinal, 0–4 (Maple Leafs)

Won Conference Quarterfinal, 4–1 (Flyers)
Lost Conference Semifinal, 3–4 (Maple Leafs)

Lost Conference Quarterfinal, 3–4 (Maple Leafs)
I feel like bragging rights should be contingent on how many lockouts have happened since.

Entropia

No One Remembers
YOU KNOW WHAT'S CRAY?!?

THIS IS CRAY:

Atlantic Division: Carolina, New Jersey, the New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

Carolina and Jersey in the same division, eh? I'd rather have Carolina and Buffalo in the same division, but that'd be a stretch.

Also, are these re-alignments posted somewhere in full? Or are we just posting pipe dreams?

Solo

Carolina and Jersey in the same division, eh? I'd rather have Carolina and Buffalo in the same division, but that'd be a stretch.

Also, are these re-alignments posted somewhere in full? Or are we just posting pipe dreams?

Conference A

Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Conference B

Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Conference C

Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

Conference D

Carolina
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Entropia

No One Remembers
Well, I hope everything gets resolved and they announce that we're back! But, I am still feeling jaded and annoying that this even happened in the first place.

Row

Banned
"There are 8 players in total's meetings, per the NHLPA: Campoli, Darche, Doan, A. Ference, Hainsey, Mayers, Parros & St. Louis"

I love how two scrubs who won't play again (Darche & Campoli) have been so heavily involved in this entire process.

campoli is probably desperate for a pa job, he knows he has no career anymore

Fuck Conference B.

Something like the 3-4 team swap around mentioned a few months back (Colorado or Dallas to Central, Winnipeg to Northwest, Nashville to Southeast, whatever, etc.) wouldn't be too terrible. Mostly because I could take advantage of the Star's cheap as fuck tickets.

Conference C

Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

I'm+ok+with+this.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, but then it gets boring if the Leafs and Habs are both really good for like 5 years straight (here's where you take your shot, NHL-GAF) and meet 5 straight years in the playoffs.
Yeah because who the fuck wants to see great rivalries when both teams are good?

Fuck Conference B.

Something like the 3-4 team swap around mentioned a few months back (Colorado or Dallas to Central, Winnipeg to Northwest, Nashville to Southeast, whatever, etc.) wouldn't be too terrible. Mostly because I could take advantage of the Star's cheap as fuck tickets.
The realignment helps so teams dont have to play so many games against teams that are 2 time zones away.

Nashville, or even Dallas makes more sense in the current set up.

Nashville makes the most sense in the current set up. They're closer than Dallas to all the other SE teams.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I used to want Detroit in a division further east but I'm fine with staying where they are and keeping up the rivalry with Chicago. Glad to see the Jets there, too.

Plus, the new realignment is supposed to cut back on west coast trips for every team (or at least make it all even) so that will be nice. I still say that any time a team that plays in the EST plays out west the game time should start no later than 9:00 EST.

Marvie_3

Banned
Will the realignment keep the new playoff structure that was proposed? I don't exactly remember what it was but I remember not liking it

It was divisional playoffs. Top 4 teams in each division play each other for the first 2 rounds.

Nothing has been said as to whether they're changing it to divisional playoffs or not though.
Rivalries are great....until they aren't anymore. Think about Hawks/Nucks. Those series have been fun, but I don't think I'd care for another.

sl pls

You can talk all you want but you'd be all over round 5 of Leafs/Habs.

DopeyFish

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Told that NHL finally moved off $60 M year 2 cap, however, still not enough for players..

Buncha Oliver twists

Marvie_3

Banned
It was top 4 of ever division

And quarter final was inter-division playoff then reseed

^ it was 2 rounds? :-0

Yeah because they were supposed to technically be 4 "conferences". First two rounds would be the divisional stuff and rounds 3 and 4 would be the conference winners.

To put it another way, I love love LOVE Habs/Bruins playoff series, but I don't want to see them annually, something this new playoff scheme makes a lot more likely.
Like the Habs would make the playoffs every year....
Happy now?

To each their own I guess. Personally, I'd love a CHI/DET, TOR/MTL, etc. series every year. The salt in here would be off the charts.

It's too dangerous for NHL to raise the cap too high without having a proper revenue projection

I'd hate for the cap to be as wonky as the NBA's. I'd prefer an NHL/NFL style cap in the MLB but that's a different discussion for a different time.

Did they fix the whole giant contract thing in these CBA talks?

Marvie_3

Banned
I feel like 2 rounds of interdivisional play is a little too much but I like the idea

That goes back to the time zone/travel issue though. Hypothetically speaking, a team like Columbus(playing VAN, SJ, LA in the first 3 rounds) would have to make multiple trips to the west coast and have half their playoff games start at 10pm or later in their home market. Same thing would apply to a west coast team if they played CHI, DET, STL. Half their games would be starting at 5pm or earlier.

They're apparently 2 million apart on the cap. How the hell do you not work that out?
Do you have any fucking idea how hard it is to divide 2 million in half?

Top Bottom