• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

yyzjohn

Banned
This is the NHL Off-Season thread. A thread where fans of the teams who fell short (all 29 of them) will look forward to the future.

New GM?
New Coach?
Trades? Drafts?

Discuss it all here. Onwards and upwards!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You get criticized either way.

Positive after 18 wheeler 2014 = blind fan hurr durr MLSE will never change cause you fans keep supporting then.

Negative after 18 wheeler 2014 = bandwagon fans who aren't 'true' fans.

Unless Leiweke takes a good long hard look at the crown jewel in MLSE and has a plan and makes a concentrated effort to fix this; yes, we're in for a rough ride.

- Get a new GM that is more shrewd and willing to make changes when necessary.
- Tell that GM to hunt for a coach that isn't just a sloppy defensive coach but one who can instruct in the game
- Buy out Clarkson I don't think we can trade him with the NTC clause...and I'm not sure any teams want him after this season especially at that price unless he agrees to a trade and we trade but also retain salary...
- Reimer, Franson, enforcers are gone. Revamp and take a chance on the kids.
- Emphasis on speed and skill. We can do what other teams have done and emulate a good team for once instead of griping about blindly.
- Fuck this 9-11 draft pick...get more scouts in Europe to get that surprise player. We have never stolen a franchise or generational player in the lower picks. Canada and America have a ton of scouts and media around already and there are rarely surprises

At this point I don't want to cheer for another team cause the stench of our failures would inevitably bring them down.

In short, fuck everyone!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
McDavid is next year though.

Oh wait, I think that's what you mean :-(

Why not go two for two?

Every team that misses the playoffs can get the first overall pick

I think it's the same odds as before so there isn't much chance unless we lose every remaining game (seems possible)

yyzjohn

Banned
Why not go two for two?

Every team that misses the playoffs can get the first overall pick

I think it's the same odds as before so there isn't much chance unless we lose every remaining game (seems possible)

Did they change it? I thought only the bottom 5 teams had a shot at #1?

Wild are looking to barely make the playoffs or miss altogether yet again on a late season collapse.

It's been this way since Richards was the coach. I don't even know what they can do to change it but something does need to change.

Phoenix will likely finish ahead of the Wild in standings. Compare our rosters. The Wild are unquestionably better on paper yet are failing miserably.

The Wild get pushed around physically by most of the Western teams. The Wild have only 5-6 forwards under six foot, but almost all of them are big minute top-9 guys. Parise, Granlund, Pominville, and so on. Sure, we have Nino and Coyle and hopefully they can grow into more prolific scorers and be more physically engaged in the future, but they cannot be the only ones. Koivu is too hit or miss physically and only throws hits when he gets especially angered - which is not very often. He has looked slow for a good chunk of the season and it's going to be a stretch to see him score ten goals. Even with the injury factored in that is unacceptable for a top-six center getting high power play minutes.

A strong draft picking up big forwards is a must. Where the Wild will likely pick, I really like Larkin, Scherbak, and Pasternak, who are all big body guys or have large frames to grow into who can also score. Scherbak especially intrigues me, but Fletcher has never drafted a Russian and I don't know if that will change. Larkin seems like more of the same type of guy they usually covet so I would not at all be surprised to see them take him.

There needs to be more size up front, and not just passive big guys who can get pushed around. Vanek seems like one of the latter and is a reason I would like the Wild to look at other targets. The problem is that there really aren't any players on the market that fill the niche we want.

I have zero faith in Nonis and the front office he manages. It took this current (yet widely predicted) collapse to get guys like Poulin and Loiselle to even entertain the idea that Carlyle's systems weren't working with this roster.

This makes me think that they look at this as a roster problem first and foremost, and think that Carlyle just needs different personnel to succeed. Which is massively depressing.

It's entirely possible that we see the team's most promising young players shipped out in order for more 'Carlyle players' to be brought in.

Leafs are in the same hockey purgatory that the Jets are.

Too many middling to good players signed long term and not enough difference makers.

JVR = Kane

Phaneuf = Byfuglien

Gunnarsson = Enstrom

Bozak = Little

Lupul = Wheeler

yyzjohn

Banned
I have zero faith in Nonis and the front office he manages. It took this current (yet widely predicted) collapse to get guys like Poulin and Loiselle to even entertain the idea that Carlyle's systems weren't working with this roster.

This makes me think that they look at this as a roster problem first and foremost, and think that Carlyle just needs different personnel to succeed. Which is massively depressing.

It's entirely possible that we see the team's most promising young players shipped out in order for more 'Carlyle players' to be brought in.

Doubt it, I think Carlyle is gone. Only thing that would make sense.

Samyy

Too many middling to good players signed long term and not enough difference makers.

JVR = Kane

Phaneuf = Byfuglien

Gunnarsson = Enstrom

Bozak = Little

Lupul = Wheeler

JvR is signed for 4.25million dollars for the next 4 seasons.
He is going to have a 30 goal/60 point season.
Hes not just "middling to good" he's a first liner on any team, especially yours.

There is also nothing wrong with Gunnarson, everyone is aware of the fact that he is forced to play on the 1st pairing when really he is a 2nd pairing guy, but he only makes 3.15million.

I really hope I'm wrong, re Carlyle.

I probably am. There have been a few stories floating around about Nonis actually telling Carlyle to stop scratching certain players (Gardiner/Rielly) and to use other players (Holland) properly. It's not much, but it's something!

JVR = Kane

Phaneuf = Byfuglien

Gunnarsson = Enstrom

Bozak = Little

Lupul = Wheeler

Is there any truth to the Meddlesome Cheveldayoff rumour?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

JVR = Kane

Phaneuf = Byfuglien

Gunnarsson = Enstrom

Bozak = Little

Lupul = Wheeler

And then you add in kadri, rielly, bernier, gardiner

Leafs have a lot of quality players ... Their roster problems are really line 3 and 4, which isn't a huge issue. What the major problem is... Is the lack of direction and focus.

Our PP is a disaster. Our D zone everything is a disaster. Our passes are all sorts of fucked up... So many passes to covered people, people going the wrong way or in absolutely no position to do anything but pass it back or turn it over.

We are having bad line matchups and constant icings.

Why players like Gleason, Phaneuf or franson are taking the puck behind the or own net when they have the puck at the hashmarks will always remain a mystery. Pass or clear. Unless the name on the back is Rielly or Gardiner.

yyzjohn

Banned
I really hope I'm wrong, re Carlyle.

I probably am. There have been a few stories floating around about Nonis actually telling Carlyle to stop scratching certain players (Gardiner/Rielly) and to use other players (Holland) properly. It's not much, but it's something!

Is there any truth to the Meddlesome Cheveldayoff rumour?

Even last season he wasn't that high in praise for Caryle. They asked what he expected out of the team to be considered successful and he said "make it to the playoffs". I can't see them crashing out like this and Nonis suddenly giving Carlyle a pass.

JvR is signed for 4.25million dollars for the next 4 seasons.
He is going to have a 30 goal/60 point season.
Hes not just "middling to good" he's a first liner on any team, especially yours.

There is also nothing wrong with Gunnarson, everyone is aware of the fact that he is forced to play on the 1st pairing when really he is a 2nd pairing guy, but he only makes 3.15million.

Oh definitely, there are a few great players on the Leafs and Jets that I'd love to have opposite of Backis and Ovi. Kane, Kessel, Ladd and JVR come to mind.

And there's nothing wrong with Gunnarson but they have too many players having to play one spot up from where they should be.

Phaneuf needs a Keith.

Gunnarson could be like Hjarlmasson if he was played on the second pairing.

Bozak would be the perfect second line centre, though he's done an admirable job this year on the first line.

They have some good pieces, I just think that it won't be easy to really get this roster where it needs to be to consistently make the playoffs especially with that albatross of a contract that Clarkson has.

Or maybe you just fire Carlyle and everything becomes better.

Samyy

Oh definitely, there are a few great players on the Leafs and Jets that I'd love to have opposite of Backis and Ovi. Kane, Kessel, Ladd and JVR come to mind.

And there's nothing wrong with Gunnarson but they have too many players having to play one spot up from where they should be.

Phaneuf needs a Keith.

Gunnarson could be like Hjarlmasson if he was played on the second pairing.

Bozak would be the perfect second line centre, though he's done an admirable job this year on the first line.

They have some good pieces, I just think that it won't be easy to really get this roster where it needs to be to consistently make the playoffs especially with that albatross of a contract that Clarkson has.

Or maybe you just fire Carlyle and everything becomes better.

Im my eyes the fundamental direction they took with the rebuild was just wrong. Point me at a NHL club that has won a cup without building around a 1st line elite centre in the last 10 years.

Actually lets see!
Hawks - Toews
Kings - Kopitar
Bruins - Bergeron and Krecji
Hawks - Toews
Pittsburg - Crosby/Malkin
Detroit - Zetterburg, Datsuyk (And Lidstrom helps :p)
Anaheim - Getzlaf (?) but I guess having Pronger, Niedermeyer helps :p and Selanne was a beast.
Carolina - Staal
Tampa Bay - Lecavalier
New Jersey - I don't think they had an elite #1? I don't remember...

I don't like this thread, but unless our entire team shows up, not just one part of it, its inevitable this is our new home in a week or two.

Im my eyes the fundamental direction they took with the rebuild was just wrong. Point me at a NHL club that has won a cup without building around a 1st line elite centre in the last 10 years.

Boston is probably the only one, but they had Hasek 2.0 in net and a Norris trophy winner on the back end.

Edit: Yeah and New Jersey had Scott Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski and Brodeur so they didn't really need a first line centre.

Samyy

Boston is probably the only one, but they had Hasek 2.0 in net and a Norris trophy winner on the back end.

Yea and Krecji transforms into an elite centre in the playoffs somehow
I know I might get shit for this but I would have much rather built around Seguin then Kessel for this reason alone, and now for the next 8 years Kessel has to be the guy that leads us to the playoffs, just from a financial perspective, unless we somehow get a Bergeron type centre.

This is how I see our team anyway:

JvR - _____ - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ______
Kulemin - Bozak - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - Bodie

______ - Phaneuf
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Rielly - Gleason

Boy I just realized how terrible our right wing depth is, if Kessel goes down either Lupul has to switch or Kulemin/Clarkson is our new 1st line right winger.

Yea and Krecji transforms into an elite centre in the playoffs somehow
I know I might get shit for this but I would have much rather built around Seguin then Kessel for this reason alone, and now for the next 8 years Kessel has to be the guy that leads us to the playoffs, just from a financial perspective, unless we somehow get a Bergeron type centre.

Yeah, Kessel is amazing but Seguin is exactly what this franchise has needed ever since Sundin left.

Burke was really short sighted.

And I really don't know how you get out of this without blowing it up...unless Staal wants to come here.

Samyy

Yeah, Kessel is amazing but Seguin is exactly what this franchise has needed ever since Sundin left.

Burke was really short sighted.

And I really don't know how you get out of this without blowing it up...unless Staal wants to come here.

Just from a financial perspective the team is in limbo for the next 4-5 years unless the cap rises quickly and/or someone takes a bad contract for us.
Oh and yea Burke and Nonis have both been shortsighted in the sense they overestimated the team, Burke never thought they would be bottom 5, let alone bottom 2 and Nonis thought we were depth pieces and a Bernier away from being a deep playoff team.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm gonna get cozy in here.

Just imagine for a moment....

You could have Clarkson instead

Just think about it.

This makes me feel better until I realize that we almost did....

Imagine having Philoops and Clarktard on the same team.

Thank you for saving us from that nightmare Leafs.

Just from a financial perspective the team is in limbo for the next 4-5 years unless the cap rises quickly and/or someone takes a bad contract for us.
Oh and yea Burke and Nonis have both been shortsighted in the sense they overestimated the team, Burke never thought they would be bottom 5, let alone bottom 2 and Nonis thought we were depth pieces and a Bernier away from being a deep playoff team.

If I was Nonis I'd be calling Edmonton about Phaneuf, might get Yak in return.

Cake Boss

Banned
I'm gonna get cozy in here.

This makes me feel better until I realize that we almost did....

Imagine having Philoops and Clarktard on the same team.

Thank you for saving us from that nightmare Leafs.

And we would have not traded for Babby!!!

Oh the horror.

Samyy

If I was Nonis I'd be calling Edmonton about Phaneuf, might get Yak in return.

I don't know if we could get Yak but I'd be willing to move his contract :p
But the city, the media, the ownership has to be ready to not be that great of a team in this scenario for another 3-4 years. We have good defensive depth in our system but none of it is really 1st or 2nd D potential.

I wonder what Edmonton does if Ekblad is gone when they pick...

yyzjohn

Banned

I wouldn't be so negative until we get a coach that actually preaches d first. Both Wilson and Carlyle have the Leafs playing high risk hockey.

Samyy

I wouldn't be so negative until we get a coach that actually preaches d first. Both Wilson and Carlyle have the Leafs playing high risk hockey.

Both those GMs should have known what type of game the team would be playing and should have factored that into their considerations, I mean unless they don't talk to the coaches :p

Anyway I hope we can draft Ritchie/Nylander/Ho-Sang

I think that is what he preaches. He's steadfastly rejected any suggestion that the team plays high-risk, rush hockey.

It's more that the defensive system he employs (collapsing wingers, swarming the puck, allow 'low quality shots') is about as out-dated as a system can be these days. Not to mention that the only time it worked for him was when he had a team stacked with generational talent.

Hopefully Nonis clears the entire coaching staff out.

After the loss to St. Louis, one of the assistant coaches, Greg Cronin, was telling the players that the Blues only had a handful more scoring chances, and that's all they need to worry about. The rot is deep.

yyzjohn

Banned
I think that is what he preaches. He's steadfastly rejected any suggestion that the team plays high-risk, rush hockey.

It's more that the defensive system he employs (collapsing wingers, swarming the puck, allow 'low quality shots') is about as out-dated as a system can be these days. Not to mention that the only time it worked for him was when he had a team stacked with generational talent.

Hopefully Nonis clears the entire coaching staff out.

After the loss to St. Louis, one of the assistant coaches, Greg Cronin, was telling the players that the Blues only had a handful more scoring chances, and that's all they need to worry about. The rot is deep.

Yeah I remember that. Shots were like 23-6 but Cronin said actually scoring chances were only 5-3 LOL

toronto fans already callin clarktard, clarktard. love it. he should of stayed in jersey where he would of been productive. he doesn't fit into the leafs system at all. god bless that contract.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've said it before, you don't build winning teams around wingers. It's all about the middle and the back end, and unfortunately for Toronto, their best players are all wingers.

Merguson

Banned
We'll just pay Bettman to rig the lottery now that every non-playoff team gets a chance at 1st overall. No big deal.

i fwonder what my devils will do with their newly aquired first round pick. i would assume a winger. we can draft another clarktard in the 6th round. lol sorry

Syrinx

So I guess Ron Francis is going to be taking over as Carolina's GM. How hopeful should I be that he'll turn things around?

Top Bottom