• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Tabris

You know what? I really want a non-Edmonton / Calgary Canadian team to get McDavid.

I'm tired of bad American and Canadian markets getting the top talent where they either go to die (Edmonton) or don't get enough exposure.

I wouldn't mind Toronto getting him.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I may have missed it, but did the Rangers officially name McDonagh as captain yet?

Also, I've enjoyed the Sportsnet commercials so far for their NHL coverage. More amusing than TSN anyways.
Rangers aren't going to name their captain until after training camp.

McDonagh is still the odds on favorite, but I think St. Louis is also in the mix. It's going to be one of those two. My guess would be:

C - McDonagh
A - St. Louis
A - Staal

Tabris

I never understood why in hockey management / coaches decide captains.

It should be the players vote who they want as captains, like football.

Quick

Banned
It is probably too early to draw any conclusions about how SportsNet's national (HNIC) broadcasts will be, but their regional broadcasts do suck. TSN's regional stuff seems to be about the same calibre as their national stuff last year, which is good.

Dare I say it: Sara Orlesky is the only good thing about any sort of Jets coverage.

Sportsnet better step it up. Their brand new studio is something of a good sign, I guess. It's pretty damn huge. (Video)

sportsnet29.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Reminds me of the NBA on TNT set:

nba-tnt-2_md.jpg

Jason Pominville got the empty netter, giving him a hat trick. Wild win 4-1.

Whoever got him in our pool is going to be getting some goals.

It's hard to believe they were trying to stiff him with a two-way deal.

Ghost's goal from tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJ1gHwaCY8

I guess. It makes sense though because we already had Backstrom and Harding on one way contracts. Doesn't make sense to have three one way goalies even if the situation was as convoluted as it was. Or is. Works out that Harding had a dumb moment and took himself out of the picture for a while.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
PK today in an interview:

i'm single and ready to mingle......Once you go chocolate you never go back, Once you go french you go running back.
:lol :lol NO RESPEK

Rangers aren't going to name their captain until after training camp.

McDonagh is still the odds on favorite, but I think St. Louis is also in the mix. It's going to be one of those two. My guess would be:

C - McDonagh
A - St. Louis
A - Staal
Naming St. Louis captain seems rather redundant with his age, I'd bet good money on it being McDonagh. I just figured they would have done it already, good for him though.

Quick

Banned
Speaking of team leaders, I'm actually curious now if Kessel is keeping the other A, rather than just having it for the pre-season. No official word yet, as far as I've checked.

C - Phaneuf
A - Lupul
A - Kessel

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Speaking of team leaders, I'm actually curious now if Kessel is keeping the other A, rather than just having it for the pre-season. No official word yet, as far as I've checked.

C - Phaneuf
A - Lupul
A - Kessel

C - Clarkson
A - Bozak
A - Waterbottle

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Naming St. Louis captain seems rather redundant with his age, I'd bet good money on it being McDonagh. I just figured they would have done it already, good for him though.

I agree, but he's also the one who has been acting the most like a captain, both in the playoffs last year and so far in camp this year. He's the guy who leads the team out on the ice (behind Hank), he's the guy who waits at the locker room entrance at the end of the game to greet everyone leaving the ice and is the last one off, etc. He also looks like a guy who still has a couple years in him (his physical testing at the start of camp had him in the top 3 on the team, despite his age), and I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 2 year extension sometime during the season, barring injury, so you would have him as captain for more than just a season, most likely.

McDonagh makes the most sense if you're going to pick a captain who is going to be your leader for years and years to come, though.

Seguin

UNF UNF UNF UNF HAT TRICK

Spezza

UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF

Hemsky

UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF

Benn

UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF

We seriously have one of the best PP lines in the league. So insane.

Montresor

Lol! or how about The Multiple Scoreosis with Harding on your LTIR list!!

I... can't tell if you're being sarcastic. =(

Apparently Shadows of Mordor is basically like a mix of Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed, and Lord of the Rings. Oh god that sounds good.

Normally I don't care about resolution differences as an XB1 owner but there is a rumour that this game is 1080p 60fps on PS4 and 720p 30fps on XB1. That's kind of gross. I'll probably still enjoy the game - *shrug*.

Montresor

It had 14 hours remaining and then they just unlocked it out of the blue. It was supposed to be available tomorrow afternoon.

I would be all over this new digital pre-loading fad but prices in Canada are $10 above US almost across the board for retail titles.

But I wish you could pre-load anything, even if you didn't own the game. Like, wouldn't it be great if I could digitally pre-load Shadow Of Mordor right now, even though I didn't own it. And then if I buy the retail disc at the local shop and come home, I can start playing right away with no need to install?

I would be all over this new digital pre-loading fad but prices in Canada are $10 above US almost across the board for retail titles.

But I wish you could pre-load anything, even if you didn't own the game. Like, wouldn't it be great if I could digitally pre-load Shadow Of Mordor right now, even though I didn't own it. And then if I buy the retail disc at the local shop and come home, I can start playing right away with no need to install?

TBH I've been making use of some of the Russian steam game sellers in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread on here. I got The Witcher 3 for like 18.. Mordor was 24?

edit: Stayed up till 4 am with Mordor. No regrets.

Stasis

Rick Nash looks like a completely different dude from last season. It's really weirding me out.

He really does, lol. He could have a great year the way he's being playing so far too. More physical, seems like he's got more jump. Still snakebitten though!

This team has a lot of leaders. I don't think losing Richards and Cally even impacts that. In that sense I think the captain is less of a huge role for us. I certainly agree that MSL stepped into the role very quickly and is already a very well liked teammate. McD is McD. Both guys will continue to be leaders regardless of who gets the official title. Step, Staal, Moore are all presences. Hags is always running around chattering positive reinforcement to everyone. More like our cheerleader, lol. This is a fun team and an easy one to like.

Having a blast with these kids too. Fast, Lindberg, Hayes, Duke, Haggerty, Miller. Any of these guys could make the roster now or at some point this season and not look out of place much. Gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out. Obviously in Duke's case it's more of a matter of whether he gets his 9 before he's back to juniors.

Pierre, why do you have such a hard on for Detroit? Every time you're on the radio you mention Detroit out of no where.

He's never had the chance mess around with our player because they were too old for his taste. Now with all these young up and coming future Hall of Fame/All Stars that we have in the pipeline, he can't wait for some fresh meat!

Seriously though, our kids look great, Mrazek is going to be one heck of a goalie and our D prospects... AH YEAH! Oh and then you have Mantha, and to think we didn't have to completely suck like most teams here to get these prospects.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
A Wings fan saying Howard is overrated?! Well, I never! I called him out long ago. He's good but won't steal you games.

That was a terrible game overall, and we can't seem to get shit done when Kessel isn't there.

I can't even like thfact we outshot the Wings. We had so many PPs that we did NOTHING with.

Yeah, I know, preseason and all. But don't like what I see and I hope it's just the fact we've had a lot of games clumped together.

Cake Boss

Banned
Pierre also trashed analytics last week, he's on a roll.

Yeah when he was on Ottawa radio last week, his reasoning for hating analytics was that it doesn't quantify grit and intangibles, his examples were Daniel paille and Gregory Campbell saying that they are the bottom 2 on the bruins in analytics charts, but they are some of the most important players in the team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah when he was on Ottawa radio last week, his reasoning for hating analytics was that it doesn't quantify grit and intangibles, his examples were Daniel paille and Gregory Campbell saying that they are the bottom 2 on the bruins in analytics charts, but they are some of the most important players in the team.
He said on Montreal radio last week that if a coach pulls a player aside and points out flaws in his play through analytics he should be fired on the spot :lol

Old man McGuire is yelling at clouds.

Razorskin

----- ------
He's never had the chance mess around with our player because they were too old for his taste. Now with all these young up and coming future Hall of Fame/All Stars that we have in the pipeline, he can't wait for some fresh meat!

Ive already tossed most of those "young players " you guys have, even 20 is too old for me.

He said on Montreal radio last week that if a coach pulls a player aside and points out flaws in his play through analytics he should be fired on the spot :lol

Old man McGuire is yelling at clouds.

He should be fired if he relies solely on analytics, the best way to evaluate is both through analytics and video. These are both just tools to evaluate players.

Top Bottom