• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II - New Details on World, Characters, Battle System, etc.

Exentryk

World:
Ding Dong Dell:
bg_section01.jpg

Valley of Wind Snake (not official translation):
bg_section02.jpg

Goldpaw:
bg_section03.jpg

Characters: Aranella, Batu, and Auntie Martha
y78IPc0.jpg

Battle System:
Apart from Weak and Strong attacks, you can perform various spells and skills. These can also be charged up by Higgledies. Below are some examples of basic spells and charged spells.

eoj2MaC.jpg

img_big_04.jpg

Kingmakers:
NnK2_06-14-17_018.jpg

Kingmakers are huge mythical beasts that protect the country. In Ni no Kuni, it is necessary to form a Kingsbond with them in order to become a king. The stronger the power of the country itself, the stronger they become. The Kingmaker of a major country has great power that is beyond even the strength of large army. When the country is in danger, the Kingmaker protects it.

Condition for Forming a Contract with a Kingmaker—Overcome their Trial
If the above conditions are met, the king and the Kingmaker will be connected like a string by an orb, and a Kingsbond will be formed.

Lofty, a Kingmaker

”I'm a great Kingmaker! If you say rude stuff like callin' me fluffy or tiny, I'll spark you to death!"

The Kingmaker of the country founded by Evan. He issued Evan a challenge and recognized him as a king after it was cleared. He is somewhat unreliable, and although he has the appearance of a cute mascot character, as he says himself, ”I'm amazing when I go all out."

Longfang, a Kingmaker

NnK2_06-14-17_020.jpg

The Kingmaker of Goldpaw. Although it is a kind-hearted Kingmaker, it is always misunderstood as angry because of its scary face. A Kingmaker of considerable learning, Longfang is pleased with the source of knowledge that is Goldpaw's archives. He keeps his eyes on the world and understands the current state of things to some extent.[/QUOTE]

Via official JP website, and as translated by Gematsu.

prateeko

Cannot wait for this. Although I am on edge wondering when the CE will come up (that I will inevitably miss preordering...)

I like the names Alphenee and Gattou vs. Aranella & Batu, but I really like their designs. Love everything else that I'm seeing here and really hope for a Drippy easter egg or some other fairies showing up.

Yes. This one has other new systems like Higgledies and Kingdom building.
Gonna miss the familiars, but I like what I've seen of the new combat.

It's sort of a parallel world (or huge time gap), so even though the location might be the same, everything else is new and unrelated. Maybe they'll throw some easter eggs in for us though.
Yeah, parallel world is what I've been thinking it was. Hope there are some cameos from the first game in some way.

J-Skee

Yes. This one has other new systems like Higgledies and Kingdom building.

It's sort of a parallel world (or huge time gap), so even though the location might be the same, everything else is new and unrelated. Maybe they'll throw some easter eggs in for us though.

I'm okay with this. As great as there original game was, I feel like familiars complicated things a little bit. This looks like it streamlines the battles.

any word on what the controller layout (button prompts) they will use for pc version? trying to decide if i should get a ps4 or xbox one.

It's a bummer that in the trailer Aranella seemingly died. A badass mother figure following the protagonist around is something I'd like to see more since Grandia III.

Exentryk

Gonna miss the familiars, but I like what I've seen of the new combat.

Yeah, I'll miss them too. But the combat is a huge improvement! To be honest though, they could have included Familiars AND this combat system together.
Maybe they'll do that in NNK3, while ensuring Familiars aren't to grindy to capture and raise.

Dart

It's a shame familiars/evolutions are absent in the sequel. They probably didn't add much to the game as I understand, but it's Pokémon-esque charm is what drew me to Ni No Kuni in the first place.

The combat system is sounding so much better.

I didn't dislike the first one, but it was easily the weakest part of the game.

Oh, and I hope there's dual audio again. I can't stand those voices lol

Yeah, I'll miss them too. But the combat is a huge improvement! To be honest though, they could have included Familiars AND this combat system together.
Maybe they'll do that in NNK3, while ensuring Familiars aren't to grindy to capture and raise.
Yeah, that would be nice. Here's hoping.

Sanctuary

If only every game could look that gorgeous (not necessarily the same character designs for everything though).

Watched this earlier. It shows a bit about how to use the higgledies and goes more in depth about the combat system in general. The higgledies actually seem kind of annoying (AI and movement), but probably won't be difficult enough to matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUMsEdC1mss

edit: It has a "just guard" system too, which is pretty cool. It's basically a timed block/parry system. In this game it negates damage.

CHC

I'm really intrigued about that desert setting with the small airplanes. Being able to just hop in one of those and take flight would be absolutely magical. Ding Dong Dell also looks as nice as ever.

Personally, not too hung up about battle system changes. I did like collecting a little menagerie of cute beasts, but in general I don't really play JRPGs for their battle systems. Generally am more drawn to the world, the characters, the music, etc.

Top Bottom