• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicalis teases 5 Switch games (Code of Princess, 1001 Spikes, and VVVVVV among)

The Steam version has been out for over a year.

The frame rate is 60fps.

The game looks like an upressed 3DS game because that's basically what it is, they even stuck the top and bottom screen from the 3DS version onto one screen side by side.

Okay, checking YouTube footage you could have only one screen up while playing, I don't remember using that option.

It's an okay Beat em' up but it's not amazing or anything and I like Beat em' up games.

It's bad. There are I think 2 guys who worked on Guardian Hereos who worked on this. But the project was clearly very low budget and a mess management wise. You can tell they sort of have the ingredients to make a good game, but no one on the team gelled it together. The graphics are a mix of nostalgic Guardian Heroes style spritework and really ugly pre-rendered sprites. The basic mechanics for controlling and brawling are sound, but the encounter design and character movesets don't do anything remotely interesting with it to make it a satisfying action game. I felt it was repetitive, boring, and honestly a waste of my money.

Damn, that sucks. So much for getting another brawler pn my PC. River City Underground it is, then.

Spman2099

Code of Princess could be of interest for me

Fix the performance issues... Add local multiplayer... Rebalance the difficulty...

That game had a lot going for it (despite the protagonist's design). I really hope they take another stab at it and deliver on that promise.

dopan

Neo Member
Top right?

tumblr_ofmky3szXf1rnz0rfo1_1280.png

Wow, I'm pretty sure you nailed it. Well spotted! Can SinCityAssassin update the op with this info?

Could the last one be another game by the same developer? Just looked up Knight Terrors, and never heard of any of the other games by this developer (FreakZone Games).

watershed

Banned
VVVVV is one of the greatest games ever made and it should be on every system but I hope this Switch port offers something over the 3ds version aside from hd resolution.

Give a friend a joy-con. One person jumps, another person moves left and right. Good luck!

You think that's creative?! The things you can do with the Joycons!

On one grip you can have left P1 and right P2 then your friend in his grip can have left P2 and right P1. You will be controlling the movement of player 1 and actions of player 2, and he will be doing vice versa!

We played Tetris this way...

Yes this can also be done with 4 players with all sorts of combinations. Shit gets crazy :p

Now that I think about it, Bomberman 2v2 would be hilarious.

Robin64

3DS VVVVVV was set to get an update to include level editor support, but then never did. Wonder if the Switch one would have it.

Yukinari

Trusting this company with any beloved games is a shock to me.

But i guess after Cave Story it basically meant they can do anything.

Gradon

Trusting this company with any beloved games is a shock to me.

But i guess after Cave Story it basically meant they can do anything.

Pretty much this. I'm so over how they deal with Europe but thankfully the Switch is region free so I'm just importing the US versions.

tebunker

Banned
It´s in the Screenshot. It´s called "90´s Super GP" now.

Not like it matters, there is no way it comes out.

Is one of those thumbnails for the sidescrolling beat em up the 90's Super GP dev is making too? I thought they announced that too.

As for Nicalis physical game $$ I think they are fine if you think of them more in a Limited Run style, minus the guaranteed actual limited run. BoI was selling for more used than new on Switch for a couple months as people waited for a second pressing. What is shitty is the cartridge and digital both being very expensive even though we know they don't have to be.

Metalgus

Banned
Holy shit, did they just acknowledge the existence of 90's Arcade GP? That thing's been in development for what, three years?

The original Kickstarter for The 90's Arcade Racer was launched on January 18 2013... The last update on that Kickstarter is from November 2015.

jholmes

I feel like 1,001 Spikes gets overlooked a lot. Do yourself a favour and give it a look, it is very tough but very fair. I was always challenged but never enraged. A lot of content in the package too.

emb

1001 Spikes was teased in the past, but it sounds interesting. VVVVVV is one I always wanted to play, so that sounds exciting. They've generally been doing physical releases, so I'm very on-board with these ports.

Fiendcode

Umihara Kawase trilogy pls. I'd also be down for ports of Castle in the Darkness, Creepy Castle and Kero Blaster.

Will (re)buy 1001 Spikes and VVVVVV for sure. Cave Story+ is a great port.

Can't wait for 90s Arcade Racer to not be released.
It's actually up there, 90s Super GP.

BiggNife

Code of Princess could be of interest for me

CoP kind of sucks, unfortunately. I went into it expecting a spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes but it's really just a pale imitation.

VVVVV rules, though. And it sure would be nice if I could actually play 90's Super GP sometime.

Yagami_Sama

Good news.

Code of Princess it a surprise, at least for me. It is a pity that I was not able to play the game until the end, because it got repetitive in a boring way. For the right price i might give a shot.

M-PG71C

VVVVV is one of the greatest games ever made and it should be on every system but I hope this Switch port offers something over the 3ds version aside from hd resolution.

Hell yeah, I agree here. I loved it on my 3DS and the soundtrack is for real. Day one for me, physical.

Love VVVVVV and 1001 Spikes! I'd love to see V take advantage of the level editor; imagine a Mario Maker-esque "dimension browser" where you could share campaigns you've created and beaten!

Fiendcode

CoP kind of sucks, unfortunately. I went into it expecting a spiritual successor to Guardian Heroes but it's really just a pale imitation.
Yeah true. I kinda wish Treasure would look into porting their XBLA stuff around to current consoles or maybe some other publisher approached them about it. Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes could be great on Switch. And do a Silhouette Mirage remaster while they're at it.

Oh snap, CoP sucks? I only remember the hype but then never looked up the actual reviews. It's been on my wishlist for a while.

Seik

Banned
If that blurred one that looks like Mega Man Zero would end up being the collection, that would be a very big deal to me.

Please be this.

Yeah true. I kinda wish Treasure would look into porting their XBLA stuff around to current consoles or maybe some other publisher approached them about it. Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes could be great on Switch. And do a Silhouette Mirage remaster while they're at it.

Ikaruga on Switch with vertical mode (if that's possible) would be a dream port. Oh god, I want it now!!!

NOOWW

Top Bottom