• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Nice looking DOS games

ShadowFX

Jan 27, 2018
Posted on behalf of dase211 dase211

Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers

Space Quest V: The Next Mutation

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

J-Bird

Lychnis

The Dig

Out of this World / Another World

Prince of Persia

Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame

Super Tetris

Tetris Classic

Return of the Phantom

Alone in the Dark

A pick of nice looking DOS games I found randomly.
I've played some of these before.

Last edited:

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain
MSDOS had a bunch of cool looking Terminator games, including two fully-polygonal (except the weapon) FPS.

The Terminator (one of the first open world games ever i think).

The Terminator 2029.

Rampage.

Future Shock and SkyNet were the polygonal games.

Last edited:

dase211

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Kings Quest VI

Prince of Persia
256 colors at it's finest.
By the way, I've played Prince Of Persia. It's such a fun game, but it's tough at way later stages...

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Has to be stuff like Mech Warrior 2 and Star Wars Tie Fighter. Flat shaded polygons with cool use of colors and gradients and things. Games going for more realistic textured 3D kinda fall flat in comparison (including the same games' later textured editions).

Although sprite based 3D games like the mentioned Wind Commander are pretty damn cool looking too.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Great games. I'll be returning to this thread to pick up the next DOS replay for myself. I'm currently replaying Duke Nukem 3D and a Police Quest sequel.

keraj37

Dec 13, 2016
google.com
The first few Mortal Kombat games had pretty faithful DOS ports because the original arcade games were coded in assembly language which made the conversion a breeze.

Feel free to slip this fact into conversation at your next dinner party to seem sexy and interesting!
I don't need gimmicks like that to be seen as interesting!

I am so lonely, you have no idea :(

Last edited:

ael85

Aug 17, 2016
Across the universe
SEAL Team. A tactical game with a pretty unique graphical approach, 3D field with 2D sprites for soldiers. Looks a bit like ST/AMIGA's Hunter, the GTA way-before GTA.

Thanks for this. I went down the rabbit hole with Amiga's Hunter and ended up reading about MAZE WAR and SPASIM, the competitors for 1st 3D game ever.

Reactions: UnconfirmedBit

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain
What about the SF2 versions?

The first one looked ok but it was really slow.

Then a korean programmer, equiped with a cheap capture card and the SNES version, did a really weird job in terms of graphics but the gameplay was much better.

The canadian mod of the previous one.

The official port of Super Street Fighter 2 was way better but the characters were quite small.

The opposite version, shrinked backgrounds and gigantic characters, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Probably the best Street Fighter ever seen on MSDOS.

Al3x1s

Nov 24, 2018
Forgot Quake had a DOS version too. Maybe that counts as technically advanced, if not particularly pretty when ran at the DOS max settings/resolution.

Same for Frontier Elite 2 with its cool untextured look like MechWarrior 2 and a huge universe to immerse yourself in.

Last edited:

dase211

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
Some ports of SNES/Arcade games looked amazing.

Street Fighter

Mega Man X

The Tetris games also looked good.
Super Tetris

Tetris Classic

Trivia: The 8 Bit Guy really likes Tetris Classic! It's one of his favorite games on MS-DOS.

Last edited:

bhunachicken

Apr 11, 2018
The first few Mortal Kombat games had pretty faithful DOS ports because the original arcade games were coded in assembly language which made the conversion a breeze.
Wouldn't this have actually made life harder, since assembler is closer to the metal than C? All the instructions would be directed at specific registers, memory addresses, and all that other jazz?

(I've never attempted to code in assembler - just looking at the syntax scares the bejesus out of me!)

dase211

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
The graphics of Sam & Max remind of me of Undertale...

I know the graphics of Undertale are inspired by EarthBound, but it has some resemblance to Sam & Max.

Interestingly, EarthBound's graphics looks like something from LucasArts!

intbal

Apr 19, 2019
Comanche 3
Terra Nova
Redneck Rampage Rides Again
Montezuma's Return
Cyberia 2
Exteme Assault
Gunmetal
Carmageddon
Archimedean Dynasty
MDK
Chasm: The Rift
Ecstatica II
Dark Earth
Quarantine II: Road Warrior
Screamer Rally
Battlespire
GT Racing 97 (Don't listen to Digital Foundry. Lots of DOS PC driving games looked fantastic. John's love of Daytona has blinded him.)
Dreams to Reality

NiiloPielinen

Jan 20, 2016
DOS is quite a loose term, it covers anything from 1981 to 1994, that is quite a leap in tech. There were some real artist that achieved wonders with EGA and 16 colors

dase211

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
There's this one game called BLUE REVOLVER. The graphics of the game have some resemblance to Another World...

Blue Revolver:

Another World:

See some resemblance?

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Dirk Benedict

May 31, 2013
Fetid, rotted, cursed Isz
What about the SF2 versions?

The first one looked ok but it was really slow.

Then a korean programmer, equiped with a cheap capture card and the SNES version, did a really weird job in terms of graphics but the gameplay was much better.

The canadian mod of the previous one.

The official port of Super Street Fighter 2 was way better but the characters were quite small.

The opposite version, shrinked backgrounds and gigantic characters, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Probably the best Street Fighter ever seen on MSDOS.

The fuck did they do to my girl Cammy? :messenger_weary:

dase211

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
DOS is quite a loose term, it covers anything from 1981 to 1994, that is quite a leap in tech. There were some real artist that achieved wonders with EGA and 16 colors
There were some games that managed to look good while using the ugly default palette in CGA/EGA like these games:
Jeopardy!

Total Eclipse

Avoid The Noid

Adventure In Serenia

The crude drawings in Adventure In Serenia look unusually nice even for a old game with blocky graphics.

• Love
Reactions: BusierDonkey