• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NicoNico App launches on the Switch this week in Japan

Felensis

Banned
Great then hopefully Netflix and YouTube will be follow along soon. Can't wait to use my Switch for watching videos especially because of its bigger screen than my phone has.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, of course. Even for the apps western support is way behind the Japanese one. It's a damn pity that Nintendo is still acting this way.

ggx2ac

Switch will probably have a Karaoke app and Food Delivery service apps in Japan before YouTube comes out for the Switch in the west.

Nerazar

Switch will probably have a Karaoke app and Food Delivery service apps in Japan before YouTube comes out for the Switch in the west.

Don't bring Karaoke up... if that happens, I'd be in heaven. Nevermind the fact that there is no mic on the device itself or anything, but I would still sing until the universe ends.

:)

You're right: Japan will receive special treatment at first. It is a very good sign, though, I wouldn't have expected it to happen so soon. I just hope there is no exploit for hacking with those apps.

wrowa

Well, of course. Even for the apps western support is way behind the Japanese one. It's a damn pity that Nintendo is still acting this way.

It's rather frustrating, especially since this seems to be all on Nintendo. Keep in mind that Julian Eggebrecht already said in an interview that they (Hulu) could have had an app ready for launch, but it was Nintendo's decision to launch without non-game content. And now we've got the clusterfuck where Japan gets it first app, while the rest of the world still has to wait until whenever.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's rather frustrating, especially since this seems to be all on Nintendo. Keep in mind that Julian Eggebrecht already said in an interview that they (Hulu) could have had an app ready for launch, but it was Nintendo's decision to launch without non-game content. And now we've got the clusterfuck where Japan gets it first app, while the rest of the world still has to wait until whenever.

Yeah, I know, that's why I said that it's a damn pity.

atr0cious

You folks need to take a breather if you think a slowroll out of apps is a "clusterfuck."

Don't bring Karaoke up... if that happens, I'd be in heaven. Nevermind the fact that there is no mic on the device itself or anything, but I would still sing until the universe ends.

:)

You're right: Japan will receive special treatment at first. It is a very good sign, though, I wouldn't have expected it to happen so soon. I just hope there is no exploit for hacking with those apps.

How will Karaoke even work? Is there a mikrophone built in?

Insta-Edit: Im stupid...you just need the screen and the text for karaoke :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
NicoNico has a lot of other issues besides stupid wwwwwwwwwwwww spam.

The entire business model is shite.

Shame their venture to expand to the West completely failed, since their live streams from conventions were fun to watch. But considering how few in the west know what NicoNico is just goes to show how poorly the whole promotion was run.

One of their biggest failings is the lack of archives for streams. The data is there since, if you remember to book it, you can keep a copy, but, if you only learn of the something after the fact, you're screwed. So, while I can say their convention streams were fun, most will never get to see them.

marmoka

Banned
BkkHie7CMAA3u72.png

I had forgotten about this.

Miiverse was so awesome.

kami_sama

Well, I am going to repeat what everyone else has already said, but I hope Youtube and Netflix come soon to the Switch.
Lazy watching some series is going to be great!

it's basically because the word for "laugh" begins with "w". 笑う/warau.

i do hope demae-can or ubereats come to switch soon, i have very fond memories of ordering sushi on my wii in 2009 and made sure to follow up with the wii u version.

ASaiyan

Banned
Damn youtube and Netflix hopefully on the table
Hopefully, yeah. Video streaming apps on Switch has officially begun. Get your shit together, everyone else; I need Netflix and Crunchy on this thing.

i do hope demae-can or ubereats come to switch soon, i have very fond memories of ordering sushi on my wii in 2009 and made sure to follow up with the wii u version.
Whaaaaat. Japan gets all the cool apps, lol.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The positive part about this is that all that stupid argument about how Switch is the purest gaming device that must not be contaminated by those dirty apps is now obsolete.

The positive part about this is that all that stupid argument about how Switch is the purest gaming device that must not be contaminated by those dirty apps is now obsolete.

Were there actually many serious arguments like that?

I'd love to actually hear Nintendo's real reasoning for delaying all these apps one day...

No one said that. They said that apps are secondary to Nintendo's focus on getting the Switch out the door and running games well, and so, if it doesn't launch with apps, it's not the end of the world.

Nerazar

Since you do not have to download/install the apps, because they are not pre-installed, the Switch may be the pure gaming device you want. I can see the beauty in that if I compare Switch to XBO or PS3/4.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Since you do not have to download/install the apps, because they are not pre-installed, the Switch may be the pure gaming device you want. I can see the beauty in that if I compare Switch to XBO or PS3/4.

Surely the same can be said for any console, provided you don't connect it to the internet?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Who said that?

No one said that. They said that apps are secondary to Nintendo's focus on getting the Switch out the door and running games well, and so, if it doesn't launch with apps, it's not the end of the world.

Yes, I just invented this argument myself because ... what?

This is just from one of the latest threads about apps on Switch:

Not really.

In fact, I'm glad it doesn't have any of that shit. When I boot up the Switch, I know it'll be for 1 of 2 reasons: to play a game or buy one.

No, I love the lack of clutter in the menu, it's only games.

It's better to have a console which hasn' these apps. Everybody own smartphones or tablets now.

Loving the quickness of the Switch.
+ we need to remember that a gaming console is firstly made for games. Adding some Spyware as YouTube or Netflix, etc.. reduces its charm.

Lets just keep this a really snappy gaming device.

No. I recognize the Switch as a games only device. My phone dies everything else I need. Keep the UI snappy as it is now.

The dream is for Nvidia to make a Shield TV app so the system goes into Android TV mode (since it uses the exact hardware as a Shield TV), but that will never be allowed to happen.

Yes, I just invented this argument myself because ... what?

This is just from one of the latest threads about apps on Switch:

Oh yeah, those are for sure some silly arguments. Mental gymnastics seem to be a pretty common thing these days.

Anyway, if Nintendo really wanted to hold back streaming apps or other media apps because they wanted it to be a games console first rather than a general purpose tablet, this is surely a sign of them changing their tune on that. So even after the title change I do agree that it's likely we'll see other apps coming shortly.

MisterR

Who said that?

Lots of folks on here argued that. They just want a pure gaming device, not clog up the interface, etc. There was certainly a defense force for it being completely bare bones. I can understand the denial now though, cause that's some embarrassing shit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh yeah, those are for sure some silly arguments. Mental gymnastics seem to be a pretty common thing these days.

Anyway, if Nintendo really wanted to hold back streaming apps or other media apps because they wanted it to be a games console first rather than a general purpose tablet, this is surely a sign of them changing their tune on that. So even after the title change I do agree that it's likely we'll see other apps coming shortly.

I'm also curious to find out what happened, maybe we will find out sometime.

Lots of folks on here argued that. They just want a pure gaming device, not clog up the interface, etc.

I think that's a valid argument—I for one really really like minimal UI's, because they feel cleaner and more pleasant.

It still applies to the Switch, too, since video apps aren't preinstalled. The PS4's menu has a bunch of unremovable crap even before you connect it to the internet.

MisterR

I think that's a valid argument—I for one really really like minimal UI's, because they feel cleaner and more pleasant.

It still applies to the Switch, too, since video apps aren't preinstalled. The PS4's menu has a bunch of unremovable crap even before you connect it to the internet.

It's really not, it's a goofy argument. Losing functionality in the name of a few people's aesthetic taste doesn't make any sense at all. There is a reason all the other systems in the last 10 years have entertainment apps, including Nintendo's other systems. The truth is that this wasn't an aesthetic choice or some kind of philosophical statement about the Switch by Nintendo. The console was half baked at launch and people used mental gymnastics to try and defend Nintendo on it.

jqdunn

What are the chances of multitasking ala PS4 allowing suspension of a game while YouTube or Netflix is opened? Is the Switch powerful enough to keep a game suspended at the same time that a streaming app is open?

rpmurphy

What are the chances of multitasking ala PS4 allowing suspension of a game while YouTube or Netflix is opened? Is the Switch powerful enough to keep a game suspended at the same time that a streaming app is open?
Switch can only multitask with the bottom list of system apps as it is now. It's unlikely that they'll allow multitasking between user apps, regardless of their memory footprint.

It's really not, it's a goofy argument. Losing functionality in the name of a few people's aesthetic taste doesn't make any sense at all. There is a reason all the other systems in the last 10 years have entertainment apps, including Nintendo's other systems. The truth is that this wasn't an aesthetic choice or some kind of philosophical statement about the Switch by Nintendo. The console was half baked at launch and people used mental gymnastics to try and defend Nintendo on it.

Well, there is a valid argument against making those apps baked into the firmware such that you can't get rid of them versus allowing you to download them as separate apps from day one.

I'd always prefer option 2 in that respect since it usually winds up with a faster and leaner OS. But unfortunately we didn't have either of those with the Switch.

Top Bottom