• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nielsen Numbers Confirm G4TV Was The Lowest Watched Television Network Of 2022

AmuroChan

I knew it was bad, but I didn't even know it was literally the least watched network of the year.

How bad was G4 2.0’s last place finish? During its brief run from November 2021 to October 2022, the network managed to pull an average of only 1,000 viewers during the period of 8 PM – 11 PM every Monday through Friday.

Mazel Tov Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

TheMan

That’s…pretty bad. Honestly I do admire them for giving it a shot but media is in a completely different place in 2022 compared to what, 20 years prior? The audience they were aiming at will never ever choose cable TV over their favorite youtuber, podcast, website, whatever.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Topher Topher alluded to it but their problem G4tv's biggest problem is that it headed by non gamers.

I'd see forsken's (spelling) posts on twitter and she litterally didn't actually have a clue to as what she was speaking about. I'm talking zero gaming knowledge. She was hoping to further her presenting career using our hobby. As opposed to being a gamer talking about our industry.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I predicted this when they announced their return

Places like YouTube, Twitter and Twitch are the go to places for gaming info/entertainment nowadays

Kacho

Damn that’s really bad. The only reason I paid any attention to that dumpster fire was because of Frosk’s nuclear heat online.

There’s really no point in a gaming focused network when YouTube exists. Plenty of quality channels out there that cater to any specific interests. Even the major gaming sites are struggling to remain relevant with the rise of YouTube and Twitch.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Topher Topher alluded to it but their problem G4tv's biggest problem is that it headed by non gamers.

I'd see forsken's (spelling) posts on twitter and she litterally didn't actually have a clue to as what she was speaking about. I'm talking zero gaming knowledge. She was hoping to further her presenting career using our hobby. As opposed to being a gamer talking about our industry.
Frosk actually is a gamer, though. Semi pro in League is a fair credential and she already had a following. They just didn't do a good job of managing her inferiority complex.

The real problem with the new G4 is that they tried to cater to an alternate reality where Quinn, Sarkeesian and Wu had actually changed the world instead of just being grifters. They wanted the old audience but they wanted it to have been shamed into not wanting to watch Olivia Munn eating a hot dog on a string.

Their next venture is going to be bringing back zines.

I admired them for trying to bring back gaming content, but damn if it wasn't foolish to try on that kind of format and likely with some horrible management in the process. When your audience is telling you it's doomed for failure before it starts, take off the blinders and actually look at what you're trying to accomplish.

Pelta88

Frosk actually is a gamer, though. Semi pro in League is a fair credential and she already had a following. They just didn't do a good job of managing her inferiority complex.

No way? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Every time I heard her speak or saw a clip of her on socials, the opinions and narrative she was pushed had zero basis in reality. So far-flung that I thought she just applied and got a hosting gig. Kinda shocked to know she's nice on the sticks lol

Humdinger

"G4 had the worst prime time audience numbers of all 126 standard cable channels currently offered to American audiences."

:messenger_tongue:

"The network managed to pull an average of only 1,000 viewers during the period of 8 PM – 11 PM every Monday through Friday. For comparison, the other network which debuted this year alongside G4, the televenovella dedicated Galanovelas/TL Novelas, came in 114th with 15,000 average viewers."

Ouch. Beaten badly by a telenovella channel, which even at 114th, outdid G4 by 15x.

Last edited:
TechTV and ZDTV were the shit when i was a kid. Wish that would come back. When i was a kid someone told me about the Sega Channel (not saying what it was) and i thought it was a network full of sega movies, shows, and cartoons.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Not surprising. Times have completely changed. There are hundreds of gaming shows and content creators that people can have access to 24/7 on youtube and twitch. They didn't do anything or offer anything new that could set them apart from other shows you could find online. Not to mention it was hosted by nobodies and weirdos.

Adam Sessler is an irrelevant dinosaur who also happens to be completely unlikeable. Frosk was a basket case. I mean what was the appeal?

dave_d

"G4 had the worst prime time audience numbers of all 126 standard cable channels currently offered to American audiences."

:messenger_tongue:

"The network managed to pull an average of only 1,000 viewers during the period of 8 PM – 11 PM every Monday through Friday. For comparison, the other network which debuted this year alongside G4, the televenovella dedicated Galanovelas/TL Novelas, came in 114th with 15,000 average viewers."

Ouch. Beaten badly by a telenovella channel, which even at 114th, outdid G4 by 15x.
And what makes this burn them even more is those telenovelas usually feature some pretty hot latina chicks for us guys to look at.

DeaDPo0L84

Not surprising. Times have completely changed. There are hundreds of gaming shows and content creators that people can have access to 24/7 on youtube and twitch. They didn't do anything or offer anything new that could set them apart from other shows you could find online. Not to mention it was hosted by nobodies and weirdos.

Adam Sessler is an irrelevant dinosaur who also happens to be completely unlikeable. Frosk was a basket case. I mean what was the appeal?
5POmzmr.jpg

Aesius

TechTV and ZDTV were the shit when i was a kid. Wish that would come back. When i was a kid someone told me about the Sega Channel (not saying what it was) and i thought it was a network full of sega movies, shows, and cartoons.
It's sad that tech has become so homogenized now. It's actually become "too good" for the layperson to care much about it. The cheapest HDTVs are 4K HDR. All computers easily handle basic tasks that most people need to use them for. And smartphones have cannibalized virtually every other handheld device (digital cameras, PDAs, GPS, MP3 player, etc.).

All that to say...a network like TechTV could never exist in 2023. There would be nothing to talk about. Tech isn't interesting at all anymore outside of very niche discussions like GPUs (which are absurdly overpriced).

Last edited:
Top Bottom