• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nielsen Numbers Confirm G4TV Was The Lowest Watched Television Network Of 2022

sendit

Surprised this failed. Host looks like Stewart from MadTV:

Mad Tv Media GIF

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Those are some sat on the cable remote with the TV off level numbers.

Begleiter

They did better than I thought to get a thousand viewers. I assumed YouTube had cannibalised the audience to the point where the only folks left would be dedicated hate watchers (people from that other site have Breadtuber streams and video essays to keep 'em busy, after all).

McGILLAZ

I used to be a huge fan of his, until he became a liberal wacko.
I attempted to have a civil discussion with him over twitter not long ago over a comment he made, he responded by immediately blocking me. Bummer honestly - I've been watching this guy since the days of ZDTV! Imagine being this shallow.

Kacho

G4TV doesn’t make sense in an era dominated by endless amounts of content on YouTube, some of which have studio level production values and writing staff, etc.
Even their YouTube numbers were dreadful. They had a product that appealed to virtually no one.

People now really crave authenticity IMO and the G4 relaunch was anything but authentic.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wonder why

Frosk.jpg
I never knew who this person was until one of those old threads where he/she made dumb comments. Then I googled this person and he/she is involved with League of Legends and G4TV.

I still stand by my initial impression this person is trans wearing a wig.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Didnt even know they had a channel on tv, i thought they only had youtube/twitch (which i didnt watch lols). But I cut the TV cord long ago and couldn't be happier.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Laughable ratings. G4 ranked last out of 126 channels. It's so bad even the 125th channel had double the viewers at 2,000.

Just above G4 in the ratings were the outdoor hunting-oriented network Pursuit Channel, which ranked 125 with 2,000 average prime time viewers, and the foreign MENA region sports network beIN Sports, which ranked 124 with 3,000 average prime time viewers.

The video game network was also beat out by Comedy.TV (121, 4,000 viewers), a channel dedicated to clips from various stand-up comedy acts, and Cleo TV (116, 12,000 viewers), whose programming is made solely for the demographic of younger black women.

Last edited:
Even their YouTube numbers were dreadful. They had a product that appealed to virtually no one.

People now really crave authenticity IMO and the G4 relaunch was anything but authentic.
People have moved on from what they offer. We have creators that post videos daily or near daily, on all aspects of gaming and entertainment. I’m not surprised the didn’t do well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Making video game TV channels makes no sense in modern age. Any gamer interested in news will read the net or watch YT or Twitch gamers playing it. Perhaps people will watch live e-sports tournaments, but you cant make an entire TV channel out of that. I've seen some channels show e-sports sessions (annoying as hell with play by play commentators), but that's not a 24 hours worth of coverage thing.

Even though every person has different tastes in channels, I swear that every cable provider in the world could axe 50% of the channels and the general public wouldnt give a shit. They'd just find another channel.

But somehow all these cable channels and media companies have so much money floating around to make channels hardly anyone watches. Although G4 is getting shut down, you still got lots of channels nobody watches but they somehow they exist. I guess these channels have such low costs, even the shitty ad revenue and fees they get from cable providers to carry it must be enough to survive.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Anyone have the screenshots of when it was collapsing and Frosk was bragging about not being fired?

0neAnd0nly

I don't know why they ever thought this would be successful. Anyone interested in watching gaming content in 2022 wasn't watching it on freaking cable TV.

I would have.

If they wouldn’t have brought in outside issues of the world that I don’t want to mingle into my entertainment.

lifa-cobex

Didnt even know they had a channel on tv, i thought they only had youtube/twitch (which i didnt watch lols). But I cut the TV cord long ago and couldn't be happier.
I thought the same.
Even if it was worth watching. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put it on mainstream TV.
Know your target demographic grandpa.

Foilz

Banned
It was barely available on networks. Well I know it wasn't available for me on FiOS in NYC or when I was down in Florida

Smokken

Banned
Who would have thought that catering to Resetera like hive minds, who has no interest in actually gaming and only concerned about gender politics, would be a bad idea?
Totally. It's like hiring psycho brainwashed feminists has a bad impact on EVERYTHING they get their hands on, how very strange.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow, that's 950 more than I was expecting.
The funny thing is every TV channel is the same in viewership.... not every number count is actually watching the show. I always have sports on as background noise but only follow the action half the time.

So out of those 1000 people, you might only have 500 people sitting there actually watching the show.

They could’ve ran more content like documentaries and behind the scenes stuff but instead went with podcast bantering and improv from the same hosts in every show with old ScottTheWoz videos peppered in.

What a waste of time and resources.

If you are going to shit on your own doorstep at least have something compelling to clean it up with.

From what I watched there was nothing there that a remotely talented person with a camera in their own set up couldn’t do.

Times have changed and with so many options out there , the only thing that sparked interest was the nostalgia element and that couldn’t sustain it.

Needlecrash

G4 isn't the same as it was from the 2000s. It was fun, entertaining and had a variety of things to watch. For the relaunch, I didn't know what I was watching. It was....a mess.

Fbh

This whole project was so weird.
I'd have understood bringing it back in a smaller capacity, reviving the name for nostalgia and adapting it to a modern online format.
But from what I read they had like 200 employees, I have no idea what sort of response they were expecting to actually be able to support that many people.

Sweet baby Jesus....

First time exploring sessler twitter account...

Is this guy..... Insane?

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Dude is the perfect example of the bias in games media.
He is completely deranged, just clearly insane and unstable and has frequent social media meltdowns and yet they keep inviting him over and welcoming him because within his insanity he has the "right" views.

I mean the first issue was in thinking that gamers and people who watch cable TV shows are the same demographic anymore, generally speaking. I watched old G4 back when I barely had a functional internet. And even then, I would still prefer reading a new EGM than watching TV back then because I've always despised commercials.

Last edited:
I never knew who this person was until one of those old threads where he/she made dumb comments. Then I googled this person and he/she is involved with League of Legends and G4TV.

I still stand by my initial impression this person is trans wearing a wig.

She is devoid of upper lip. I don't want to dunk on her looks, because, let's be honest here... people are already doing a remarkable job at it, already.
However.. it just looks like a piece of the puzzle is missing when I see that one.

Top Bottom