• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata Concert Readings with the Voices of 2B and 9S

I think this deserves it's own thread.

Kyle McCarley (voice actor of 9s) recently read the japanese NieR Automata Concert Stage Play together with Kira Buckland (voice actress of 2B), his wife Katelyn Gault (as A2) and his roommates Laura Stahl (as Pod 153) and James Anthony (as Pod 042 and Zinnia).

I think the performance of them were incredible. Spoilers:
They cried.

You can learn more about the stage play here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comme...on_from_nier_concert/?st=j3ol0qh2&sh=ce21aa40

It offered new pieces of informations about the characters, after ending E for example. It's totally worth it.

With Q&A and other stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0y083mMHA&t

Just the play, 5 Acts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ08khNM1Fg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGLYoP4xF0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6zyhfm7dk&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WfrAE-iRQ&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVr_bZpj4JY

Kyle McCarley also streamed the game, together with Kira Buckland or other voice actors from the game like Ray Chase (Eve or Noctis in FF XV) or Erica Lindbeck (Anemone or Celica in Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw2b_oWSH_aOHlKeKbtf-tiND9wbK6r-T

It's so nice to see their passion for the game. Kira Buckland even cosplays 2B regularly - like in this reading.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm actually subscribed to Kyle's youtube account so i can see his let's plays. Its fucking awesome when he does stuff in character, especially when Kira comes over and they both put their characters on

LotusHD

Banned
Finished it. Good stuff, loved the end where they started singing lol

EDIT:

Also this was really helpful, as I had completely forgotten about reading the A2 one lol

Ruff

Nice to see this here. I was in the stream when it was live and it was a damn treat. Very dedicated VAs here.

EdmondD

Awesome. I'm actually glad I procrastinated on reading the concert. Much better to experience it this way.

Jotakori

Ohhh I've been making my way through Kyle's playthrough videos. I'll have to take note to check these out later, too!

The fact that these character revelations were not included in the main game is such a lovably Yoko Taro since to do, but so damn frustrating at the same time.

These damn feels shouldn't be confined to an unlocalized stage drama.

MTC100

Banned
The fact that these character revelations were not included in the main game is such a lovably Yoko Taro since to do, but so damn frustrating at the same time.

These damn feels shouldn't be confined to an unlocalized stage drama.

Seeing how well those VA performed in a live recording, I don't understand why they didn't include that stuff in the game, say after finishing it as a prologue, would have made the game much more appealing to me, as I thought it was rather dull, even with all the endings. You only get hints to why 2B is so reserved towards 9S at the very end and even then it's just a few lines that don't convey much.

While I'm very late to replying I still feel the need to notify people who haven't finished Nier Automata that there are late-game spoilers within 5 seconds of the start of the video

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seeing how well those VA performed in a live recording, I don't understand why they didn't include that stuff in the game, say after finishing it as a prologue, would have made the game much more appealing to me, as I thought it was rather dull, even with all the endings. You only get hints to why 2B is so reserved towards 9S at the very end and even then it's just a few lines that don't convey much.

It's actually peppered throughout route A, you just wouldn't know until you completed the game lol.

I think it's conveyed well enough though seeing that all the 2B X 9S fanart seemed to have overwhelmed even the 2Booty fanart. The fandom caught on to it pretty hard.

Yep. Maybe it's just because there was so much shit thrown at you in the Route C playthrough, but I didn't even catch that
9S knew about 2E
, a gut-punch of a revelation that explains so damn much about him.

TAROOOOOOO
angry.gif

Thanks for the links. I just recently finished the game and am still in that stage where I'm hungry for more related content.

Regarding 2B and 9S' background with each other, I appreciated how subtly their relationship was handled, during the game. At the same time, given how quickly certain events unfold, I'd love to have seen the game contain some manner of in-depth story archive that'd unlock after beating the main endings, particularly if it featured elements like info from the linked stage play.

Antiwhippy

Yep. Maybe it's just because there was so much shit thrown at you in the Route C playthrough, but I didn't even catch that
9S knew about 2E
, a gut-punch of a revelation that explains so damn much about him.

TAROOOOOOO
angry.gif

I mean.

A2 literally said "But.. you knew all along didn't you."

1upsuper

In my first playthrough, I'd mistakenly thought he only learned she didn't want to do it after he
got stabbed by 2B's sword and absorbed her memories.

Wait,
when did 9S absorb 2B's memories? It's been a while. How did 9S know about 2B's true designation the whole time?

LotusHD

Banned
Thanks for the links. I just recently finished the game and am still in that stage where I'm hungry for more related content.

Here's more! https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/wiki/lore

A big part of the appeal with this game's story imo is how the stuff at the end recontexualizes nearly everything you've done beforehand, even seeping into several sidequests. Also another thing I liked about this game is that it doesn't just spell things out for you and risk ruining its impact. It assumes you're smart to take those hints and few lines, and see that they were more than enough to put all the pieces together.

Antiwhippy

Wait,
when did 9S absorb 2B's memories? It's been a while. How did 9S know about 2B's true designation the whole time?

Kinda implied when he fell on 2B's sword during B but I don't think it was ever that explicit?

Regarding the memories thing
I don't think it was ever implied that was when he knew that 2B was reluctant, or ever knew that she was reluctant of her role. Which makes it all the more tragic that he didn't really care about that as long as he gets to stay with her.

Mariip

I just wanna put them in a box and protect them from yoko taro, those VAs are so precious ;;
Doing these readings for the fans was a real act of love

Antiwhippy

I just wanna put them in a box and protect them from yoko taro, those VAs are so precious ;;
Doing these readings for the fans was a real act of love

The japanese VA asked for a kinder script
and got one where he dies 6 times lol.

Antiwhippy

Honestly, having a
good ending at all
was a blessing

Do you know the history of these scripts?
Yoko taro originally sold the scripts 2 weeks in advance. With one tiny change, where instead of 2B managing to wake 9S as they did in the final concert, instead 9S fails to wake up at all, and 2B just... stopped.

Following the fandom was real fun for those 2 weeks.

9S's voice actor is so dreamy. I wonder if he's accepting any jobs at the moment.

Well, I do know he did a stellar job as Alm in FE: Echoes.

Anyway, impressive work from the English VAs, especially for a cold reading. It's interesting that they didn't go by the original set list and chose their own playlist. It feels more like a radio play that way. (For example.
I liked how the battle theme changed to the 8-bit rendition when A2 got hacked.
) Even though they couldn't get the originals for A2, Pod 153 and Pod 042, the VAs they got as substitutes were also really talented. Katelyn's A2 was really good and James made a charming Zinnia. Personally, hearing Kyle McCarley play
Psycho No. 9
is all I ever wanted in life, so everyone else doing such a good job is a bonus for me.

I wasn't present at the stream so I couldn't witness it in realtime, but seeing both the VAs and the chat react to all the twists was a blast. Kyle and Kira even got a little teary-eyed. Apparently, they're looking at doing readings of the Memory Cage and the Memory Thorn and I am really looking forward to that.

MTC100

Banned
A big part of the appeal with this game's story imo is how the stuff at the end recontexualizes nearly everything you've done beforehand, even seeping into several sidequests. Also another thing I liked about this game is that it doesn't just spell things out for you and risk ruining its impact. It assumes you're smart to take those hints and few lines, and see that they were more than enough to put all the pieces together.

You can say that but in my opinion it's just a lazy way to end a game.

LotusHD

Banned
Writing a story like that is a lot more work than just E X P O S I T I O N ing it out in needlessly long dialogue.

Yea, if they explained every little thing, I would not be nearly as fond of this game. At the very least, calling it lazy is pretty reductive.

Seyavesh

holy fuck this is a cold reading?

9s's va is really goddamn good at his job, jesus. he's easily the standout performance in the game, but this really seals the deal

LotusHD

Banned
holy fuck this is a cold reading?

9s's va is really goddamn good at his job, jesus

I really am taken aback by how into the game him and 2B's VA are. I don't really follow stuff like this to begin with, but to my knowledge, seems like they basically voiced everything there is to voice lmao

I just wish A2's VA could've been here. That said, his wife did a good job.

Antiwhippy

Writing a story like that is a lot more work than just E X P O S I T I O N ing it out in needlessly long dialogue.

What they should do is give every android smartphones so that we can get into chat groups telling us what we need to do everyday!

1upsuper

What they should do is give every android smartphones so that we can get into chat groups telling us what we need to do everyday!

Yep. Exposition dumps are another way of saying prepackaged thinking. NieR's drip-feeding and hinting facilitates alternate interpretations, discussions, and fundamentally, more thinking and engagement. Which is a very good thing.

bgsvd.jpg

"I need to replay Nier Automata in Japanese."

I'm the other way, my first playthrough of all of Automata was in Japanese, and now I need to go through it all again in English. Partially for trophy clean-up, but also because I want to re-experience the game, and I guess go through the DLC now too.

Top Bottom