• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata is 20 merkels for the game of the yorha edition - worth it?

Graciaus

That game was worth full price. I don't think you'll find many people who fully cleared it and not say the story was great.

The combat is not that complicated or hard.

Kuranghi

I've put it on the backburner until re-release with fixed framerate issues, looks fun but I don't want to fuck around with inherently broken games these days.

I gave up on Revengeance for just now for the same reason, it forces 59hz when you use HDMI so I can't play the game at any settings without a 1-frame stutter every second or two, its too noticeable in a game like that so I (extremely) reluctantly put it down til re-release on next-gen consoles, or the like. They probably won't fix it then anyway :(

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Quick update if anyone cares, the combat system was not a problem at all, this is firmly in the action-rpg genre. Specially considering how broken, at least early on, some of the chips are. I mean you get life leech, leech on kill and if all that fails it'll autoheal you with a bonus to the heal effectivity.

On the rpg side of things, I missed auto collect and well, uh... seems I'll have to "progress" (wink wink) in order to acquire it. Sucks! This I always hated about jrpgs, they do like their gotchas.

What would be the better option: PS Pro, or a better PC with fan mods?

I hear pc port is buggy.

Last edited:

sazzy

Background: hardcore stylish action games like dmc, bayo, etc are not my thing.

Will I be able to still enjoy nier? Or to put it in other words: how deep it goes into bayo territory?

Also: any word of a ps5 enhanced edition that will cost moneys or this is as its gonna be?

Playing it now, its brilliant. You can overlevel or chip your character to suit your playstyle.

For me, it was just another hack n slash, until about 2 or so hours in when I got to the Amusement Park. I was hooked.

Music is brilliant, btw.

I dropped Witcher 3 to play this. That game was giving me a headache.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If anyone cares I made trhough route A and route B.

Route B was very trudgy because I finished all sidequests available but 2 of them. Bit of overcompensation since I barely did any during route A and well, yeah can't go back.

I got to the point route C begins in its earnest and well oh well, that sucked ass. Talk about a downer.

Komatsu

jack nicholson yes GIF

Amazing game. One of the greatest of this last generation.

If anyone cares I made trhough route A and route B.

Route B was very trudgy because I finished all sidequests available but 2 of them. Bit of overcompensation since I barely did any during route A and well, yeah can't go back.

I got to the point route C begins in its earnest and well oh well, that sucked ass. Talk about a downer.
Operator 21O deserved better

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Necroing this thread to ask for an update. Bitmap Frogs Bitmap Frogs did you end up finishing it? Thoughts about Route C and endings C D and E?

Did C and D, and E.

I don't know man the game is depressing as all hell. Everything's a bummer. I guess E is a bit more hopeful but even then...

The music is super-gorgeus tho top 10 easily and I like how Taro builds on contexts on contexts and on contexts. It's smart and playful. I loved when the support bots started having business meetings and how that one evolves. Listening to the pods talk shop was very cool and very enjoyable.

The way the map was reused 3 times was effective on focusing the stories and on the characters and made the world more real, but route B needed some spicing up, badly. Easily the lowest point which is a shame because some very cool things happens when you see things through 9S.

On the mechanics side, the game needed more oomph on the action, the rpg and the hacking. IMHO. Which btw, hacking? Very cool how it evolved from a minigame to well, something else like a storytelling device.

What took me totally by surprises are the way robots evolved. From the bits of media I saw I only noticed the stubbies and throught that was a stupid low effort design but then they evolve lego style adding parts and you see how the simple, recognizable round face helps you focus on their changes, internal and external.

Honestly, I totally dismissed Automata when I first saw it because it looked to me like low effort rule 34 fodder for the weebo coomer gang (nothing wrong if that's your jam, just not my kind of thing). I generally dislike most anime besides the feature length films they make because some are goddamn good (I still don't understand how that industry can produce so much serialised meh and then throw up curveballs like metropolis, perfect blue, etc), so I am like a bit biased. Well, jokes on me because I was very, very wrong. Automata is top shelf stuff.

I have to thank you for helping me make the decision to play it. I would've never made it on my own and boy am I glad I played it.

edited to soften some of the language

Last edited:

luffie

Worth it? This game is worth full price.

The direction of the gameplay is top notch, especially considering how all the different mechanics seamlessly blend together.

The soundtrack also won best game OST of the year, and soon you'll know why. We need more games like Nier Automata.

cireza

Did C and D, and E.

I don't know man the game is depressing as all hell. Everything's a bummer. I guess E is a bit more hopeful but even then...

The music is super-gorgeus tho top 10 easily and I like how Taro builds on contexts on contexts and on contexts. It's smart and playful. I loved when the support bots started having business meetings and how that one evolves. Listening to the pods talk shop was very cool and very enjoyable.

The way the map was reused 3 times was effective on focusing the stories and on the characters and made the world more real, but route B needed some spicing up, badly. Easily the lowest point which is a shame because some very cool things happens when you see things through 9S.

On the mechanics side, the game needed more oomph on the action, the rpg and the hacking. IMHO. Which btw, hacking? Very cool how it evolved from a minigame to well, something else like a storytelling device.

What took me totally by surprises are the way robots evolved. From the bits of media I saw I only noticed the stubbies and throught that was a stupid low effort design but then they evolve lego style adding parts and you see how the simple, recognizable round face helps you focus on their changes, internal and external.

Honestly, I totally dismissed Automata when I first saw it because it looked to me like low effort rule 34 fodder for the weebo coomer gang (nothing wrong if that's your jam, just not my kind of thing). I generally dislike most anime besides the feature length films they make because some are goddamn good (I still don't understand how that industry can produce so much serialised meh and then throw up curveballs like metropolis, perfect blue, etc), so I am like a bit biased. Well, jokes on me because I was very, very wrong. Automata is top shelf stuff.

I have to thank you for helping me make the decision to play it. I would've never made it on my own and boy am I glad I played it.

edited to soften some of the language
Good thing you got to experience this game.

Despite the first impression, there are some great narrative games from Japan. I recommend Catherine, Steins Gate and House in Fata Morgana.

Top Bottom